12+

The Wayfaring: Chapter 5: Anica's Prison (Revised)

by Sillia

Chapter 5: Anica’s Prison

If I should ever be captured, I want no negotiation - and if I should request a negotiation from captivity they should consider that a sign of duress.Henry A. Kissinger

Anica groaned, opening her eyes and forcing herself up on her elbows. Her head pounded, her mouth throbbed and her throat felt dry and sandy. She could taste the metallic tang of blood in her mouth. The floor beneath her hands was cold and stiff, creeping into her body and settling into her bones. Her eyes wandered around her surroundings, drinking it in. Towering stone walls surrounded her, disappearing into shadows above her. A small barred window was pressed into the wall behind her, shinning harsh light onto her pale face. She threw her arm up, squinting her eyes to block the sun. A small cot lay under the window, the metal frame rusted with age. She forced herself shakily to her feet, holding her head and leaning against the wall. What happened to me? She thought. Where’s Nathan? Slight fear for what could have happened to her companion struck through her heart, sending shots of adrenaline through her veins.

“Nathan?” her voice called out through the harsh light, soft and steady, afraid to speak, terrified to break the silence.

No reply. Was he not here? Or just not close enough to hear her? Try again. Her mind told her, stroking her fear into a burning blaze.

“Nathan?!” She said again, her voice growing stronger, though the words tore at her throat like claws. “NATHAN!” Her voice rose to a scream. “JASON!” his name slipped past her lips before she realized what she was saying. “ALICE! WILL!”

Anger surged through her body as Will’s name spilt from her mouth, tasting bitter and full of bile. Her mind flashed and memories of the previous night flooded her mind.

Anica woke half-way through the night, anxiety running through her body. Something wasn’t right. She looked over to where Alice lay asleep in her cot, and stood, slipping on a leather tunic over her black shirt. Her hair fell loosely around her shoulders, glowing white in the dark light. She fumbled around for the door, opening it and stepping into the hall, shutting it quickly behind her and quietly behind her. She headed for the living room, wondering if Nathan was as restless as she. Looking down at him, she could see he was fast asleep. His arm was thrown over his face, his other thrown across Jason’s chest. Anica stifled a small laugh, her eerie feeling fading slowly. Sitting beside him, she moved his arm slowly and gently away from his face, setting it down above his head. Her eyes running over his face, a small smile pulling at her lips. His shaggy brown hair fell down onto his closed eyes, his lips a pale rose in the moonlight that fluttered through the window.

Nathan.” She said softly, her lips playing with the word.

She reached forward to brush his hair away from his face, but pulled back quickly as footsteps sounded behind her. She looked over her shoulder, standing up quickly and hiding her hands behind her back guiltily.

Anica?” Will’s voice filled the silent night.

Hello Will.”

What are you doing up so late?” he asked, walking over to stand in front of her.

I…” she sighed. “I couldn’t sleep. It’s our first night out of Farsco. I didn’t expect to spend it with strangers, no offence meant.”

He nodded, “None taken. Why don’t you come help me with the horses? That’ll tire you quickly enough.”

She nodded, and followed him back down the landing, her hand running over her weapons belt as she passed. Her footsteps echoed lightly as she walked down the stairs, descending into the darkness below. As she stepped off the last step, something slammed into the side of her head, throwing her side-ways into the wall. She yelped with surprise and pain and whipped around, throwing a punch into the shadows. Her fist collided with bone, her knuckles splitting with the impact. She heard a groan and stepped back in shock as a shaft of moonlight fell across her attacker’s face. His smoky black hair fell around his shoulder, his blue eyes locking with hers.

Jason?!” she whispered.

I’m nothing like my brother.” The boy spat.

Then everything went black.

Will had led her there on purpose, had intended for her to be caught. Dread and anger filled her stomach. What would Nathan think? Would he care enough to come looking for her? He’ll come. She thought. Seriously?! Her mind yelled back at her. You’re going to wait for NATHAN to come save you? Be his damsel in distress?! No way. You’re getting out of here on your own terms. She walked slowly over to the wooden door that stood between her and freedom. She wrapped her fingers around the wrought iron handle, shoving her body against the door, noticing without care her scabbed and bleeding hand. A thud ran through the room, but nothing else happened. She shoved herself against it again, grunting with effort.

“Let. Me. OUT!” she screamed, ramming herself into the door one last time.

The door flung open, sending Anica reeling forward into a startled boy. Falling to the ground, she threw her arm in front of her, landing on it with a pain full crack. She screamed in pain and curled around her arm, all thoughts of escape fleeing from her mind. Vaguely, she could hear a flutter of footsteps as the boy scrambled to his feet.

“Hey!” He hissed. “Hey you! Are you ok? Get up! Quick!”

Tears spilt from her gray eyes as she forced herself to look up at him. He had short, shaggy silver hair and dark violet eyes. He looked no more than eight or nine. “What?” she said, pain racing through her veins and filling her body.

He dropped to the floor beside her. “No no no no.” he muttered, shaking her shoulder. “Hey lady!” he yelled in Anica's ear, pulling at her uninjured arm. “Come one! We got to get out of here!”

Anica could hear pounding footsteps coming towards them. She forced herself to focus on his face, trying to numb the pain. His face was tight with fear, his violet eyes wide and scared. His skin was a dark tan, sticking out oddly against his pale silver hair. His cheek bones suck out sharply from under his skin, his body frail and thin. He shouldn’t be here. She thought dimly. If she didn’t move now, they’d both be caught. Groaning, she pushed herself to her knees with her uninjured hand, standing slowly and shakily. Her head spun and black spots appeared before her eyes. Leaning against a tall cobblestone wall, she locked eyes with the boy, focusing on his face again.

“Come on, come on!” he cried, fear cracking his voice.

He grabbed her hand and dragged her down a long hall way, turning left, then right, and then left again. Torches hung in brackets along the walls, flashing past them in blurry red lights as they raced by. Anica tripped over her own feet as she was dragged along, her arm throbbing painfully with each step they took. Her mind, clear seconds before, was now clouded with fear, pain and anger. Her gray eyes were unfocused and she followed the boy blindly. His yell startled her enough to ground her once more.

“Come on! Can’t you run any faster?” he said frantically as he pulled at her arm harder, trying to pick up his pace.

She looked over her shoulder and saw with alarm their pursers were closing in behind them. At first she thought they were town guards, but within seconds she changed her mind. The guards that had welcomed her and Nathan when they rode into town had worn heavy chain mail and helmets, their skin tanned with hours of exposure to the sun. The men chasing them now wore sleek black clothing, silver armor protecting their wrists and shins. Their skin was as pale as her own, their eyes cold and hard. Shivers ran down her spine as her eyes locked with one of theirs. Fear sent a surge of energy into her blood and she ran faster, her feet pounding against the stone and echoing through her ears. 

She yelped as a knife flew past her ear, crashing into a stone wall. "Over here!" the boy hissed as they rounded a corner. 

He released her hand, ducking down behind a a pile of rotting wooden crates. She peered behind the boxes to see that he'd vanished, seemingly into thin air. Slight panic filled her as the guards came closer. His silvery head appeared again, his violet eyes fixed on her.

"What's the matter with you?" he asked. "Aren't you comin?"

Do I have a choice? She thought to herself as she followed him. Looking closer, she was able to see a small hole in the wall, barley big enough for her. One of the smooth stones had been wiggled free, providing a small hiding space. The boy was pressed against the back, trying to leave enough room for her to fit. She crouched down on her knees, cradling her injured arm to her chest as she wriggled forward. Her body screamed with protest as she squeezed into the wall, one of her long legs still extended before her. 

She pulled her leg forcefully in after the rest of her, pressing it against her chest. "The stone." the boy gasped against her shoulder. "You have to pull it in!"

She grunted with frustration, reaching around her leg and grabbing the edge of the stone and pulling it shut as pounding footsteps ran past them. Darkness surrounded them, filling Anica with a sense of panic. Her breathing became labored and quick, her heart pounding against her chest. The boy was pressed against her back, his small hands pressed against her shoulders and his knees digging into her. 

"Don't think about it." he said.

"About what?" she gasped.

"The darkness. The close space." 

"How'd you get get me out?" she asked through gritted teeth, shutting her eyes against the darkness.

"Skeleton key." he said proudly. "I was able to nick one from the black market shops they have around here."

"You...shouldn't...steal." She hissed. 

He shrugged and wriggled impatiently. "I think they're gone now." 

She gasped with relief and shoved the stone out of its place, slipping out of the small space. Her breath came in great gasps, her lungs screaming. Her arm throbbed with a new pain and she doubled over, clutching it to her chest. 

"Come on." his whispered, grabbing her hand once more.

A door loomed in front of them and the boy slid the key into the lock and springing the door open. Harsh sunlight smacked their faces, causing Anica to stumble with shock. He tugged at her arm again and she followed him into a maze of people, blinking around at the small wooden-corner shops and stalls. 

People yelled prices at them as they ran past, their voices hammering against her skull. The boy shoved people out of the way, causing cries of alarm and anger. Anica stammered out apologies here and there, though she could not tell whom she was speaking to half the time. Faces blurred into a swarm and colors mashed together. She pulled the boy to a stop, standing still and trying to gather herself as her lungs screamed for air.

The sky was a bright blue above them, cloudless and friendly. The sun shone down on her, bathing her skin with warmth. A slight sigh escaped her lips as she let the sunlight soak into her, chasing away the chill that the cell had given her. Her arm throbbed painfully, in time with her heart. Her mouth had ceased to hurt, but not it seemed like everything else did. Her legs were tight with exhaustion, every muscle in her body begging her to collapse. Mixtures of tall and short wooden buildings surrounded them, save for the one they’d just run out of. She could see it still over the head of people, the stone standing out against the other plain wooden structures.

“Lady please, we need to keep moving.” The boy whimpered, tugging at the sleeve of her black shirt.

She looked down at him. “No. We need to blend in.” The idea sprang to her head as suddenly as she had said it.

She took the boy’s hand firmly in her uninjured one, walking through the thong of people, trying to blend in. She could hear shouts behind them and tried not to run, her skin prickling and her eyes wide and alert.

“Why did you save me?” she asked under her breath as they weaved through the crowd. “You don’t know me, where I come from, I could b-.” The boy cut her off.

“My sister.” He said simply.

“What?” She paused and looked down at him.

He looked her evenly in the eyes, his pale, oval face turned up to her’s. “My sister.” He repeated. “Her name was Jasmine. She looked a lot like you. Tall, blonde hair, gray eyes, though her skin was darker than yours.” His voice held to much sadness for one so young. “They took her in the middle of the night, the way they took you. She looked like one of the Lost Princesses. The way you do.” His eyes started to fill with tears. “The next morning I woke up and she was gone. I searched everywhere for her. I finally found her in that stone building; in the same room that you were in. I was only seven; I didn’t know how to break her out like I did with you!” His voice rose to a desperate wail. He breathed quickly and visibly calmed himself as people around them started to stare. Tears spilt down his young face. “Before they killed her she gave me this.”

He pulled a chain out from underneath his thin brown tunic, showing her the pendant. Hanging from the chain was a thin circular piece of silver. Engraved onto the silver were four triangles. One pointed to the east, another to the south, the third to the west, and the last to the north. Anica gasped as she eyed the silver piece. That’s the same symbol on Nathan’s ring!

“She said it was supposed to keep me safe.” He muttered as he looked down, playing with the necklace. “She said the chosen hero of the goddess would have a matching piece just like mine, maybe not in the form, but the symbol would be the same.” He looked up at her again, his thin lashes sparkling with tear drops. “I saved you because I couldn’t save her. You could be someone’s sister.”

Tears sprang to her eyes and she drew the boy close to her with her uninjured arm, holding her close. Yelling sounded behind them. She knelt down in front of the boy, placing her hand on his shoulder, looking him in the eyes. “Do you have other family here? Parents? Where are they?”

“They died.” He said softly. “My mother when I was born and my father a year after my sister.”

A sigh escaped her lips. She couldn’t leave him here. They’d seen him helping her escape. I can’t bring him with me! She protested inwardly. “What’s your name?” she asked gently.

“Samuel.” He said, lowering his eyes shyly.

The shouts were closer now. Fear spiked through her. “Ok Samuel it is very important that you listen to me ok?” he nodded and she rushed on. “My name is Anica. It’s not safe for you here. You can’t stay here anymore.” He widened his eyes with surprise and opened his mouth to protest. “Shhh its okay. Its okay.” She said quickly. “Have you ever heard of the forest town?”

He nodded eagerly. “Jasmine used to tell me stories all the time about it.”

She smiled slightly. “I want you to go there.”

“I don’t know how!” He protested.

“I’m going to tell you. I’m from there.” His eyes held slight excitement as she hurried through her instructions. “I want you to leave the city. Just walk out the gates and go straight. You’ll find a river. Follow the river until you get into the woods. Keep following it and you’ll find springs. Wait there for a man. He comes every morning when the sun rises. Tell him my name and he’ll keep you safe.”

He bit his bottom lip, trying to memorize the directions. “Okay.” He said after a few moments.”

“One more thing. How do I get to the stables?”

He pointed over her shoulder, down a shadowed street. “Go that way and turn left at the fountain. You can’t miss it.”

She nodded and ruffled his fine, silvery hair softly. “Get going.”

He nodded, and then disappeared into the crowd. She watched his head weave through the crowd before she couldn’t see him anymore. Then she turned, walking down the dark street, her ears perked for any signs of movement. She ran quickly and quietly, her arm throbbing painfully as she moved down the street. 

The soft trickling of a fountain reached her ears as she emerged from the shadows, eyeing the bubbling water. It lay in the center of an open square, stone housing buildings rising up around it. The fountain was made from highly polished stone, the center piece arching gracefully into the sky. The pure-silver center was a spiral that flew into the sky, water running down the ides and spurting out the top. She marveled at it as she walked quickly by, the falling water spraying her face gently. She looked around quickly, relieved to see no one in the quite courtyard. Hurrying across, she turned left down yet another street, this one paved with cobble. 

Wrought iron street lamps stood here and there along the street, burning oil hidden behind thin glass sheets. She slowed her pace as the gates of Hailton came into view, standing tall and majestic against the blue sky. A small figure darted through the gates, his hair flashing silver as the sun caught it. Her lips curved into a small smile that was quickly wiped away as her eyes landed on a familiar sign. It was a plain wooden sign that had been carved into the shape of a horseshoe hung above a wide wooden door, a torch resting in a holster beside it. Her arm had ceased its throbbing, though dark bruises were starting to appear along her arm. A chill settled in her bones as a scream filled the air. The guards at the gate looked uneasily towards the door, but did nothing. Shouts and yelling followed, and Anica walked forward steadily, trying not to wonder who the scream had come from. She froze as Jason’s voice filled the air.

PLEASE MILES! I’ve never asked anything of you before! Release them!! On the blood of the Goddess release them!” His voice was filled with desperation and fury.

Fear struck a chord inside her heart and she ran forward, slipping once more into the shadows to avoid view of the guards. They must have been paid to stay out and keep people away. She thought as they continued to do nothing. Nathan’s voice reached her ears, thick and full of pain.

Nathan groaned a little more. “Don’t do it Jason.” His voice was muffled.

“We don’t have a choice. I won’t let you die.” Griffin’s voice rang through the air.

Taking a deep breath, she stepped around the corner, walking into the stables calmly. “No one’s dying today.”

Jason whipped around as her voice filled the air, his eyes wide and full of shock. "Anica?!" He gasped, his breath catching in his throat. 

She looked down at her torn and filthy black clothing, grimacing slightly. "Pretty sure its me." 

Nathan began to struggle again. "Jason? Whats going on?" 

Gillion's eyes flickered between Anica and Jason. "No." he hissed. "How'd you escape."

"A little friend helped me." she replied. 

Alice's eyes filled with relief and she dashed towards her, throwing her arms around Anica's stomach. "You're safe."

Anica hissed slightly with pain as the girl jolted her arm, pushing her away gently. "Let him go. You have no leverage now." her voice held a note of fury.

"On the contrary." Gillion replied. "I can still kill him." 

Jason's eyes darkened. "That's where you're wrong." 

r4p17 wrote a review...

Knight r4 here to review another one of your chapters, Sillia. I certainly hope this helps! But before I start reviewing I though I would point out that you need to change the title of the previous chapter so that it is chapter 4 not chapter three. I think you forgot to or something.

Her head pounded and her mouth throbbed and her throat felt dry and sandy.
you only two ands here. There shouldn't be one in between pounded and her.

The door flung open, sending Anica reeling forward into a startled boy.
Heheh! This entire scene is hilarious! My only question is, how did the boy get the keys?

“Come on!Can’t you run any faster?!
just a simple mistake but you need a space between sentences. I also noticed that you use "?!". I would try supplementing the questions mark with "he said frantically" or something like that.

“Shhh its ok its ok.”
I believe that you need some sort of a punctuation mark in the middle of the sentence.

She looked around quickly, relieved to see no one in the quite courtyard.
I think you meant to say quiet here instead of quite.

Wrought iron street lamps stood here and there along the street,
I think you mean rod iron not wrought iron though I may be wrong.

They must have been paid to stay out and keep out people out.
You put too many outs in this sentence. I think you need to reword it.

Way to end this chapter in suspense! The only thing is that it hardly moved at all. You virtually ended this chapter where you cut it off in the last one. But at least you slowed things down some.

I liked the first part of this chapter with despair and then high paced action a lot. However the middle was a little bit disappointing. I felt like the guards just faded away when a paragraph away the guards were right one Anica and Samuel's heels! I think you could have transitioned a little bit better. You might have them hiding behind some crates or in an alley as the guards passed by them.

Overall as usual I thought you did a good job! Just try to keep this somewhat realistic and keep the pace a little slower. Well I better be off to watch Germany win the World Cup now. Happy writing!!! :D

Sillia says...

Thank you! i'll review it a bit more :)

AliceWonderland wrote a review...

Her head pounded and her mouth throbbed, her throat was dry and she could taste the metallic tang of blood in her mouth.

This feels like a run on sentence, try splitting it up.

The floor beneath her hands was cold and stiff, creeping into her body and settling into her bones.

To me, this sounds like the first half of the sentence doesn't agree with the tenses of the latter half of the sentence.

Anger surged through her body as Will’s name spilt form her mouth,

I think you meant 'from'

She fumbled around for the door, opening it and stepping into the hall, closing it quickly and quietly behind her.

To say 'opening' and then 'closing' not much farther from each other of the same object, while in the same sentence makes it feel redundant. If need be, I would use a different wording in order to keep the same idea in place.

Her eyes stroked his face gently, a small smile pulling at her lips.

For one, you used gently in the last sentence, I would use a synonym of that word. Secondly, I'm confused how her eyes stoke his face. It gives an odd image to my mind, as I think of it as literal because I don't know how else to imagine it.

As she stepped of the last step,

I think you meant 'on' instead of 'of'

Dead and anger filled her stomach.

I think you meant dread instead of dead.

She though.

Thought. Spelling errors are easy to do.

The door flung open then sending Anica reeling forward into a startled boy.

I would take out the 'then' and put a comma there instead. So, it would sound like, 'The door flung open, sending Anica reeling forward into a startled boy.'

he yelled in her ear, pulling at her uninjured arm.

I would change a she and replace it with Anica. It makes it sound like he's talking with a different female otherwise.

“Come on come on!”

Put a comma in between the two 'come on'

She looked over her shoulder and saw with alarm there pursers were closing in behind them. At first she thought they were town guards, but within seconds she changed her mind. The guards that had welcomed her and Nathan when they rode into town had worn heavy chain mail and helmets, their skin tanned with hours of exposure to the sun. The men chasing them now wore sleek black clothing, silver armor protecting their writs and shins. Their skin was as pale as her own, their eyes cold and hard. Shivers ran down her spine as her eyes locked with one of theirs. Fear sent a surge of energy into her blood and she ran faster, her feet ponding against the stone and echoing through her ears. A door loomed in front of them and the boy produced a single key, sliding it into the lock and springing the door open. Harsh sunlight smacked their faces, causing Anica to stumble with shock. He tugged at her arm again and she followed him into a maze of people, blinking around at the small wooden-corner shops and stalls. People yelled prices at them as they ran past, their voices hammering against her skull. The boy shoved people out of the way, causing cries of alarm and anger. Anica stammered out apologies here and there, though she could not tell whom she was speaking to half the time. Faces blurred into a swarm and colors mashed together. She pulled the boy to a stop, standing still and trying to gather herself as her lungs screamed for air.

Woah. First, it's a really long paragraph, find a spot to split it. Another thing, 'She looked over her shoulder and saw with alarm there pursers were closing in behind them.' It's the wrong there for one, so it should be, '...and saw with alarm that their pursers were closing in behind them.'

Thirdly, '...protecting their writs...' should be wrists instead of writs.

...sleeve of her black shit.

Whoops. Shirt.

He nodded, and then disappeared into the crowd. She watched his head weave through the crowd before she couldn’t see him anymore. Then she turned, walking down the dark street, her ears perked for any signs of movement. She ran quickly and quietly, her arm throbbing painfully as she moved down the street. The soft trickling of a fountain reached her ears as she emerged from the shadows, eyeing the bubbling water. It lay in the center of an open square, stone housing buildings rising up around it. The fountain was made from highly polished stone, the center piece arching gracefully into the sky. The pure-silver center was a spiral that flew into the sky, water running down the ides and spurting out the top. She marveled at it as she walked quickly by, the falling water spraying her face gently. She looked around quickly, relieved to see no one in the quite courtyard. Hurrying across, she turned left down yet another street, this one paved with cobble. Wrought iron street lamps stood here and there along the street, burning oil hidden behind thin glass sheets. She slowed her pace as the gates of Hailton came into view, standing tall and majestic against the blue sky. A small figure darted through the gates, his hair flashing silver as the sun caught it. Her lips curved into a small smile that was quickly wiped away as her eyes landed on a familiar sign. It was a plain wooden sign that had been carved into the shape of a horseshoe hung above a wide wooden door, a torch resting in a holster beside it. Her arm had ceased its throbbing, though dark bruises were starting to appear along her arm. A chill settled in her bones as a scream filled the air. The guards at the gate looked uneasily towards the door, but did nothing. Shouts and yelling followed, and Anica walked forward steadily, trying not to wonder who the scream had come from. She froze as Jason’s voice filled the air.

Again, really long. Maybe split it into three paragraphs, but two should be fine.

Well, for not reading the previous chapters, it was really interesting and luckily, I didn't find myself too confused. I like the story going on.

Sillia says...

Thanks alot :) i'll go through and fix all my mistakes xD thanks for pointing them out

uwu
— soundofmind