When the little kids get spaceships (Edited)

by unpublishedperson

Author's Note- Looking for advice on length, what can be cut, and of course anything else that comes to mind. Enjoy, this is part of my effort to balance more traditional literary works with various "genre" elements, so let me know if that worked for you.

When those brats and dorks and innocents

set their round, wide eyes on the stars,

pack their past in suitcases

and swagger on out,

buy lil blasters and jetpacks and spacesuits,

blast up and away,

know that it’s an offer that doesn’t last long,

and chase right after.

Who knows when the chance will

come round again, 

just hop on

that tall golden bullet,

follow those neon signs that flash,

declaring in bold yellow/blue:

“Wagon Train to the Stars.”

Say goodbye to airy walkways,

crystal fountains, and internet cafes

and learn to be that crazy cowboy again.

Learn to walk through those frontier towns,

to run around stars like you own them,

discover that smooth, shiny metal floating in the dark outback

was what you were made you for,

run like crazy while you can.

Dance through the rainbow nebulas,

swim nude in the untainted oceans at night,

sprint through meadows toward alien frontiers,

spend the night, then run on.

Travel with the caravan,

the outlaws and the rouges,

know that this is the age when little kids get spaceships,

and it flirts with death since the day it started,

so you can you. Take photos of it,

so everyone can remember it was the kids

that ran around the galaxy first.

And by then,

the alien towns,

meadows, nebulas,

the caravans,

will have moved on.

When those kids get spaceships,

holster your laser gun

and put on your boots,

break orbit,

and make it last.

Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hello.

I haven't actually read a science fiction poem, so this was very interesting. However, it was also mildly confusing because it took me a second read to realize this was depicting an actual future scene instead of a more whimsical, metaphor driven piece.

My biggest thing was, this feels like images strung together for no real purpose other than description. My biggest belief is that poems should have a purpose, which means you should be asking yourself why you're putting these images in.

The beginning and end seem to hint at conflict that pulls from wild west imagery and the good old American Dream, which would be a good conflict if you actually expanded upon it. The story seems to start with the idea that kids who get spaceships need protection, then they're going to enjoy space, but first you have to clear it, and this jump when each established part isn't actually all that clear gets really hard to follow and in the end is what makes me feel like the poem's a little aimless.

To answer your question, the longest part is probably the "enjoying space" montage, which is really nothing more than a list of images. As I said before, give me a purpose to these images and they'll be fine, but right now they seem to be nothing more than pretty words.

Tell us a story. You have a wonderful concept with so much potential to give us emotions and a deep, new experience in space, where you aren't confined by human bounds, but you don't explore it as much as you could. As a result, I find myself looking for more tension, for more substance.

You have lovely images. Give us a reason for showing them.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey

Good to hear your thoughts on this, you definitely make some points worth considering. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review!

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:15 am
AdjiFlex wrote a review...

Well, this was a good read, first off. Nevertheless, I will start with something that needs fixing. In novel or chapter-length pieces, a reader might forgive one or two typos, but not in poetry. Poetry is too short for you to have such mistakes lying about. There may be others, but I remember these: "It's a offer" should probably be "It's an offer". "So you can to" should probably be "so you can too."

Now that aside, I really love this poem (these poems?) There is a nice flow of constant movement and a playful vibe going on, but I think you should create a nice, bouncy rhythm to add to that feeling. I like that you are trying something that is sort of new and strange, but I don't quite see why there are two parts to the poem. You can join the two poems and cut out the overlaps, as both parts are basically saying the same thing. It's not a case where one is a response to another or something like that.

The message in this poem is really nice - I might spend another review here going into interpretation (which would be more subjective and personal). Good poetry. Keep writing.

Well, good to know that you enjoyed the poem, but this is a good point you make about it being split in two. Your not the only one to be saying this, so I think that I will edit the split out of there. Also, thank you for input on typos, I really need to get a handle on that so reviewers like you don't have to worry about them. Thank you for taking the time to read and review!

Also, another review would be welcome, but is not super necessary. You already have been very helpful!

AdjiFlex says...

:) I will read more of your work.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:54 pm
EmeraldEyes wrote a review...

Hi
So when you said this was going to be a poem in two parts, I thought you meant you were going to post part 1 now and part 2 at a later point.
personally, I would have preferred to see you do that, and I think you should.
The two parts you have here could easily be melded into one and there is definitely scope for you to go on and write more and make a more substantial part 2 if that makes sense? :D

I didn't like the fact the second part was longer than the first one, it looked too irregular. Also, I think there needs to be some indication of stanzas, they need to be split up, not just one big run-on.
I know this all sounds really harsh. Saying something positive about the work: the content is great! XD
It's just what it has the potential to do now and the editing nitpicks. You can make a great work a really great work. That is, if you think my opinion is helpful. XD

Well I am glad that you enjoyed the actual content of the poem then! At least then I know I am partially doing my job. But, I do see your point about the size of this, especially in regard to how long the second half goes on. These are all good points that you make. Thanks for taking the time to read and review!

I support the shrek message.
— MiniGem26