12+

Chapter 1- Miracles come too late

by Takemetomars, GeoCha

Scene 1: INT. Inside of Mary’s room at Mercy Hospital in Chicago, IL

Mary Hayes lies asleep in the hospital bed fighting for her life against leukemia. Her body seems weak and lifeless, entirely dependent on the IV tubes embedded in her skin. The room is gray and bleak due to the thunderstorm outside. The television is tuned in on Sesame Street to distract Daniel from his mother but the beeping sounds of the heart monitors are the only sounds that he can hear. Beep. Beep. Beep. The monitor rings in his ear as loud as the sirens on a passing fire truck. He’s hurt and he’s scared, like any other twelve-year-old boy would be. The only thing Daniel can do to try and cope with the idea of his mother dying is to cry his eyes out. He cries hysterically but tries his best to be quiet enough so the nurses down the hall won’t hear him. As he sobs, he hears a faint, familiar voice call out to him and a bit of hope fills his heart. His mother is finally awake.

Mary:

Daniel, my sweet child, why is your heart so heavy?

Daniel:

(what starts out as muffled cries turn into uncontrollable sobs) I can’t stand to see you like this Mommy. It makes me really sad.

Mary:

It shouldn’t honey. God’s preparing his kingdom for me. I’ll be happy there. You see (she pauses as she wipes his tears off of his face) Mommy’s hurting. But when I get to that holy kingdom of God, I’ll be free of all my suffering.

Daniel:

Can I come with you? (he asks with saddened eyes.)

Mary:

Of course not. I need you to be here for your father while I’m gone. I’ll always watch over you and protect you from all evil. Know that I love you and your father very much. (she smiles weakly.)

It’s obvious that she is fading away.

Having realized that this is the last time he will talk to his mother, he cries hysterically and pleads for her not to leave him, but she’s already gone.

Scene 2: INT. The Hospital Room Next To Mary’s.

INT. In the hospital’s Waiting Room/Gracie’s Room

Daniel looks back and sees the nurse pull the sheet over his dead mother’s body. One of the nurses offers her condolences but it doesn’t matter to him. He just lost his best friend. The nurse sits Daniel down on a lounge chair.

Nurse:

Just wait here. Your father is on his way.

Feeling like he can’t just sit around and wait, Daniel wanders aimlessly through the halls. He stumbles into a girl’s room around his age playing with the latest Avengers action figures. She is hairless and has tubes placed inside of her nostrils.

Daniel:

Why are you playing with Avengers action figures? You’re a girl. (Daniel says smugly.)

Gracie:

Why are you crying? You’re a boy. (She responds back with every bit of sass she can muster up.)

Remembering his mother, Daniel couldn’t fathom a response and starts crying again and howls in agony. Stunned by the random boy crying his heart out in her hospital room, Gracie walks over to him and gives him a hug.

Gracie:

I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said that.

She looks down on the floor and plays around with her feet as an awkward moment passes accompanied by Daniel’s sniffs and muffled sobs.

Gracie:

Whenever I’m sad, I jump up and down on the bed. (She looks up at him with a smile.) Want to jump with me?

Gracie asks hopefully and urges him to climb on top of the bed before he can even respond. Daniel makes no attempt to jump.

Gracie:

Come on! At least try it.

Gracie jumps up and down and holds Daniel’s hands to accompany her. He begins to just give in to the enjoyment and jumps with her. They laugh hysterically. As they were jumping, a nurse, Hope, passes by but she doesn’t stop them. What harm will it do?Then, there was a thump on the floor. Gracie sits hurtled in the fetal position clutching her knee. A gash is now present there. The nurse runs into the room and quickly runs to Gracie. Daniel jumps off the bed to comfort her, but ends up scraping his finger on a hang nail in the wooden floor. Able to suppress his minor cut, Daniel checks on Gracie to see if she is ok. He touches the gash on her knee with the scraped finger without even knowing it, but Hope saw it.

Hope:

You’ll be fine, Gracie. It’s nothing we can’t take care of.

Then something miraculous happened. Gracie’s hair started to grow within seconds. Hope, frightened, runs and calls the nearest doctor. When the doctor arrives, he is stunned by what he is witnessing. He quickly runs a few tests and, with an amazed voice says:

Doctor: I can’t believe it. The cancer has vanished.

Nurses and doctors begin to converse with each other in confusion.

Hope:

How can that be doctor? ( The nurse states with a perplexed expression on her face.)

Doctor:

I am not completely sure. Nurse, you were in the room. Did you notice anything?

Hope:

I didn’t see anything bizarre, except…

Doctor:

Except what?

Hope:

I did see that Daniel’s opened wound was in contact with Gracie’s gash.

Doctor:

So what are you suggesting?

Hope:

I’m suggesting (she says with great emphasis) that Daniel’s the reason why the cancer isn’t there anymore.

The doctors and nurses glance at Hope like she’s a mad woman.

Doctor:

You can’t actually believe such a preposterous theory.

Hope:

Run some tests and you’ll see. (Hope says confidently.)

Reluctantly, the doctor extracts blood from Daniel and distributes it to two other patients. To his dismay, the blood actually cured the other two patients of the cancer.

Scene 3: EXT. Outside Mercy Hospital

Daniel’s father, Pilate, parks his Nissan Altima and makes his way inside the hospital, but the large amount of reporters catches his eyes. For this many news reporters to be here, something big must have happened.

News Reporter:

This is Channel 12 News. I’m Peter Harrison, broadcasting live outside of Mercy Hospital in Chicago, Illinois where in this very hospital, the cure for cancer came walking right through their door.

Pilate felt hopeful again, more than he’s felt in a long time. This new cure could save his dying wife. Curious, Pilate wondered what the cure was. Then, he saw the headline for Channel 12 news and his face fell with disbelief. “Cure for all Cancer: Little Daniel Hayes.”

MaryEvans wrote a review...

I’m going to read this as a script since it’s written in such a format. So with that, here comes a crash course on scriptwriting:

First, a general note about style. In your descriptions you cannot state how a character feels or say something abstract like “lies asleep in the hospital bed fighting for her life.” You need to be direct. Remember if this is a script, the actor will be reading and acting it out, and they need exact action, not actions left to interpretations. You can't have them going like "um how does one fight for her life against leukemia?" in the middle of the scene. You need to give them the actions to... well act out. I know it sounds dumb and literalistic, but it’s just how acting directions are written.

Or another example: “Her body seems weak and lifeless, entirely dependent on the IV tubes embedded in her skin.” Will have to be turned to: “She is thin and her skin is pale with IV tubes embedded in her arm.” You know, very literal, very visible, so the people working with your script (actors, make-up artists, lighting specialists, etc.) know what to do, and exactly what to do, and how to set up the scene.

Or this: “Sesame Street to distract Daniel from his mother but the beeping sounds of the heart monitors are the only sounds that he can hear.” You just say the TV shows sesame street.” And then you describe the actions. (and this comes in caps because you haven’t mentioned him before and caps show the actors when they are to enter the scene)
“DANIEL isn’t looking at the screen, his eyes are cast on the floor as he listens to the machine beep.”
Another reason you can't say it is because "to distract." It's a verb, but who is the actor doing this? Sesame Street is not a person so it cant act out distraction. Are you starting to see how directions work? You have the agent (usually actor), the action, and its result as a core in the text.

“The monitor rings in his ear as loud as the sirens on a passing fire truck.” You can’t say this either, unless he’s actually having a flashback or imagining a scene with a truck that will be shown on the screen.

Just think about it this way, every single word in a script will have to be shown on the screen, so you need to write it in a way that it can be shown. It’s very literal, very direct language with no fancy literary devices, metaphors or allegories. It’s an instruction manual so to say.

((what starts out as muffled cries turn into uncontrollable sobs) you just put crying in brackets right under the name, then the dialogue on the next line.
I will overlook the particular formatting issues since the editor isn’t too kind to those, but generally the names need to be justified in the middle. Same for bracketed emotes. They also have to be separated from the dialogue.

(he asks with saddened eyes.) To (sadly) under his name and before the line.

In scripts, emotes are not tags, they are just the mood/appearance the actor needs to emulate while speaking the lines.

“It’s obvious that she is fading away.” How is it obvious? Again, you need to be very visual. Describe exactly what is happening to her, she breathes heavier, her skin turns even paler, the beep of the machine slows, etc.

After scene two title tag you have another one that doesn’t really make sense. It's already stated that it's interior (also you need to put the time of day, like day or night or even the hour if that is relevant). Or do you skip a scene there?

Read your dialogue out-loud, make sure it sounds natural.

“Then something miraculous happened.” Again. No. This can’t be interpreted in visuals or actions.

Now before the actual script you have a few lists of general plot and character descriptions, there you’re free to write in any style you want as long as the story comes across.

Scripts are very different stylistically and language wise than novels. In novels, you need prettier, more subtle prose, and what you have, would have fitted a novel. To turn it into a script, however, you need more work. You have to simplify it a lot, throw out all the pretty lines, and make the action very clear and very direct.

It’s all about the perspective. Imagine you are telling people how to show your story to other people. You need to be very clear, very simple, which is hard, but is how scripts work.
So keep up the good work, you already seem to have the basics of formatting and language, you just need to get used to the style.

Here's an exercise. Walk into a room or a cafe or a restaurant or any place with people, sit down and write out exactly and I mean exactly what the place looks like, what the people are doing, saying, etc. For an actual script this might be a bit too much, but as an exercise is the best you can do to practice your skill.

EmeraldEyes wrote a review...

Ah ha!
From the description, I was expecting a novel chapter, but this is a script. I love scripts, because I really like dialogue and the way it can be structured. I will analyse how you've created different effects- and how effectively in this review.
Hope it helps. :)

Points:

- Good length
- Nice character names eg. Doctor vs Hope, quite thematic and very cleverly done
- I think the dialogue could be made a bit more interesting in places, especially the bits about "expecting" things, you could make it a lot more mysterious.
- The premise of the story itself seems rather indecisive. Does it end where it ends? Or will there be more of it? I don't know what to expect. XD

This was good.
Keep writing. :)

Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.