12+

Belinda Cabbotry: The Weak and the Wary (PART 6)

by WillowCutz

"MUCUS! SWEATY PALMS! FIGHT OR FLIGHT!-"

"Belinda relax," Emily told her as she tried to stifle another symptom of stress, "You're starting to make me nervous." Emily looked around the hospital waiting room at the people staring. Surprisingly it was only a few people. The people without wheelchairs or handicaps. I guess that makes sense, Emily thought, if she comes here every two months. There'd have to be some people who understand her predicament.

"I'm sorry, I just don't like hospitals." Belinda rubbed her thumb s across her palms.

"Really?" Emily asked. Belinda looked up at her, her elbows on her knees and her chin resting unstably on her wrists. "Miss Daredevil detective doesn't like hospitals?"

"Sick people belong in hospitals, dying people go to hospitals, it's not exactly where I want to be." Belinda tapped her cane.

Emily was silent, something about her tone told her that Belinda really didn't want to be here for more than her usual hatred of people seeing her weakness.

"Belinda Cabbotry for Dr. Darby." A nurse said from the doorway. Belinda tried to push herself out of her chair. Emily felt bad watching her face turn slightly red, so she held out a hand. Belinda glared at it and then took it.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Emily asked, partially to make her feel better and mostly to make sure she didn't hobble away when she wasn't looking.

"If you want to, it's nothing embarrassing." Belinda tried to walk ahead, but Emily caught up and they walked through to the check-up room together.

***

"Blood pressure's high, what have you been eating?" The doctor asked as she took the band off of Belinda's arm.

Belinda's face went red and her cheeks puffed out as she tried to tell her. "P-p....ch-choc..." She took a deep breath and started again. "Stuff I shouldn't have."

The doctor looked over her shoulder as she prepared a needle on the counter away from the table Belinda was sitting on in a thin hospital gown. "What happened to the fruits and vegetables we talked about?"

"They sniff weird." She said shivering and crossing her goose bumped arms. "I've cooked them, dressed them, drowned them, and boiled them, every time I eat them I upchuck."

The doctor shook her head, making her short red ponytail shake rapidly like a puppy's tail. She turned to face Belinda with a long needle and a alcohol wipe. "You need something other than fats and sweets. Your heart has enough trouble without cholesterol." She wiped Belinda's shoulder clean.

"I know I know."

Dr. Darby stabbed the needle into Belinda's shoulder, but Belinda didn't seem to notice. When she was done, the needle came out without Belinda even flinching. "We'll leave so you can change." Dr. Darby said, motioning for Emily to follow her out in the hallway. Emily noted that she was about half a foot taller than her. Her lab coat fits, Emily thought. Her own lab coat was on special order because it was a few inches to short especially noticeable around the sleeves where they just barely reached halfway between her elbow and her wrist. So much for one size fits all.

"How long have you known Belinda?" The doctor asked in hushed tones.

"About a month, why?"

"I was just wondering because she doesn't usually let people bring her here." Dr. Darby shrugged.

"Her boyfriend asked me to make sure she came." Emily remembered the yelling in lab 123 before she got in the other day. Melanie had been "present" then and if Emily had learned one thing about her is that she liked to argue as much as she liked being the smartest person in the room. As soon as Belinda came back he had basically thrown her under the bus.

Then a question came to Emily's mind.

"What's up with...?"

Dr. Darby shook her head.

"What?"

"I'm supposed to say what my patients' problems are."

"Not even if I'm really curious?" The doctor shook her head again, "What if I'm worried about her?" The doctor smiled.

"Belinda has a rare genetic disorder, a unique disorder, where her muscles don't accept the materials given to them. They don't receive as much nutrients."

"Why?" Emily whispered.

"We're not sure. The specialists believe that she has bad genes that didn't quite copy the right data to make proper receptors for materials, so her body doesn't take in as much material as she has."

"So how does she...survive?"

"They recognize certain things more than others, like Oxygen, and some things just have to go around a few times until they're recognized. It's not like nothing is ever taken in, it's just harder-"

There was a loud crash from the check-up room, and both of here heads flew in it's direction.

"She's fine." Dr. Darby said, blandly as Emily contemplated coming in to see if she was okay.

"Then what was that?" Emily asked.

"Sounded like the chairs."

"Well, how do we know she didn't faint, or isn't having a seizure?"

"We only heard the chair." Dr. Darby explained blandly, "If she had fainted we would have heard her hit the ground, and if she were having a seizure there'd be a lot more collateral damage. It's a small room." As much as Dr. Darby looked like she wasn't worried, Emily could see that she was still staring at the door and straining her ears to see if Belinda was okay.

"Shouldn't you make sure though? I mean you are her doctor."

"I have, but the more you try to help her the less she she respects you. If she were really in danger I'd break down this door if I had to, believe me. I really want her to get a private nurse to make sure this kind of stuff doesn't happen at home. She'd never tell me if she had a bad seizure, but..."

The doctor's voice trailed off. Emily suddenly wondered how much she did know. Certainly no one would be told if Belinda, or Melanie, had a bad seizure or fainted. But did she know about Melanie? She'd clearly spent a lot of time with Belinda, but had she ever noticed that there was a different personality? And if she did, would she have the decency to suggest help?

***

"Okay Belinda give me your cane." Dr. Darby said after a series of seemingly pointless exercises. Belinda went still. The doctor held out her hand and Belinda looked down at her grip on the cane, her eyes wide. "Belinda, I'm waiting." Belinda didn't move. "Your the one who didn't want the wheelchair, now prove that you don't need it."

Belinda took a deep breath and shakily handed the aluminum cane to the doctor. Emily leaned forward in her seat, partially because she and the doctor had to be ready to catch her if she fell and partially because she had never seen Belinda without her cane. Belinda always held her cane, whether she needed it or not.

"Okay, could you walk to the door?"

Belinda looked terrified. It was three feet, but that was a mile to her. That was a lightyear without her cane. Belinda clenched her fists and slid her foot forward. It was slow and all around ungraceful, but Belinda managed to scoot to the door without clinging to the wall. By the end her face was red and she looked dizzy. She leaned against the doorknob.

"Okay touch your toes."

Belinda sighed and stared down at her sneakers. They were elastic for just this reason. Emily knew, she had seen Belinda smack her foot against a wall trying to get them on without leaning down.

She looked up at the doctor who nodded, and looked down again. With one hand she squeezed her waist and the other she let fall. With obvious pain she pressed her back down as far as it would go and tapped just below her knees. "That's....as far," she coughed, "....As far....as far as I....uh....go."

"That's fine." She walked next to Belinda and gently helped the cane back into her hand. Belinda looked up, her face was even redder. She exploded into a coughing fit that sent her into the empty chair next to Emily to sit in utter exhaustion.

After a minute, when Belinda had finally stopped coughing, the doctor filled out a sheet on a clipboard. "Okay, you seem relatively healthy, just eat less fats and cholesterol. I know you can cook, so don't lie to me."

Belinda gave a childish, embarrassed giggle, revealing that she hadn't really tried to change she diet.

***

The halls of the nursing home were gray. The kind of gray that left you lost in thought and dragged any potential conversation out of you. Emily really didn't know why she was here, they had been talking, or rather she had been talking, about a personal nurse for Belinda, when she walked right past the car. Emily had followed, to make sure Belinda gave her an answer as to where she thought she was going. It turned out that on one side of the hospital was a nursing home that peaked Belinda's interest. As for why it did, Emily had only sneaking suspicions.

Belinda turned almost mechanically to another hall. She eyed the numbers on the door. Belinda had tucked her hair behind her ears, but she didn't talk, leaving Emily wondering if she was really Melanie at that moment. Melanie's two tells were her hair and her natural love of her own voice.

Belinda mouthed the numbers as she counted the doors.

Belinda, as in the original alter, not just the generic name for her colleague when she couldn't tell who she was. Belinda the personality was a little quieter, when she wasn't shouting random words. As far as Emily could tell she didn't like to be the center of attention and she preferred to hide behind her hair.

Emily liked Belinda better than Melanie. When Melanie talked she assumed everything, she didn't need someone to respond, she knew what you would say and could have a conversation by herself. She also assumed that Emily wanted to hear her seemingly endless fountain of knowledge. Belinda at least talked to her like an equal. Even if she knew she was smarter.

Belinda stopped at a door labeled 134. She sighed and fixed the hem of her jacket.

Emily watched her curiously. Melanie, or Belinda, had never looked this...well blank.

"Bel-Melanie?" Emily asked softly. Melanie turned, her eyes not quite looking at her, like she was thinking about something else entirely. "Are you okay?" Melanie stared for a while, then nodded.

Melanie gingerly turned the knob and walked in. Behind the door was a tan old woman with bright white hair and a large book in her hands. She was sitting comfortably in a plush grey bed, but wearing a what someone might call her Sunday best.

"Mom?" Melanie asked. The old woman looked up. This was the first point of the conversation that seemed odd to Emily, and it certainly wouldn't be the last. This old woman was way too old to be her mother. Emily thought. She looked more like a grandmother. Of course Belinda's age hadn't really revealed itself to her, maybe she was a lot older than she looked. But she couldn't be old enough for this old lady to be her mother could she?

"Jackie." The old woman smiled, placing a bookmark in the book and setting it aside. "How are you?" Jackie? That was not one of the alters Emily knew of.

"Good." Then Melanie noticed that the old woman was looking at Emily discreetly. "Mom, this is Emily, she's a friend from work."

"Hello, Emily." The old lady smiled.

"Hello Mrs. Cabbotry."

Melanie flinched, revealing that that was not her last name.

"Mrs. Christe." The old lady corrected. Was Melanie the "original"?

"Sorry." Emily smiled awkwardly.

"It's fine." She said, "So how are you, Jackie, how's Mason, how's the class, do I have any grankids?" Melanie laughed and sat down in a chair next to the bed. Emily stood awkwardly next to her for lack of a chair.

"No grankids yet mom." Then Melanie turned to Emily, "I swear, eighteen years and she refused to let me date and now all she wants is grankids."

"I need someone to spoil." The old lady smiled. "How's the leg?"

"Getting better, I can walk, but I still might need the cane forever." A leg injury? "What book are you reading." Melanie asked, anxious to change the topic from her.

"Oh that's not important, tell me about you."

"There's nothing interesting going on with me, mom."

"Oh that can't be true, you have a boyfriend, a nice job, come where all my stories? Show me your life in the last two weeks."

Emily looked around. This old lady had only been in a nursing home for two weeks? Then Emily remembered, that there was probably a reason she was in the nursing home in the first place. In this case, the conversation might not help her figure out why Belinda/Melanie had come here.

"Well, my life is kind of boring." Melanie insisted.

"There are no boring stories when you're locked up in here. When do you think I'll be clear to go? It shouldn't take this long to recover from surgery!" Emily decided that that was not the truth. She was told that. A nursing home was not a place for recovering surgery patients. She doesn't know where she is.

"Okay, well, I guess, yesterday Jacque, one of my kids, he got the football team to state. And I saw Monica, that girl I didn't like, you remember her Emily?" Emily jumped a bit.

"Oh yeah, the blonde one?" She said unsure.

"Yeah, well I saw her at McDonald's behind the counter. Man I bet she wishes she read Hamlet now." Melanie launched into a completely fictitious story about Monica Dixon. All the while, Emily put the pieces of a lie into a reasonable story.

***

"So that was your grandmother?" Emily asked as the walked to her car.

"Yes." Melanie said in a low voice.

"And she has Alzheimer's."

Melanie's head lowered even more.

"She thinks you're your mom."

Melanie nodded.

"And you let her, because you were close to her and you don't want to upset her.

"Is that bad?" She asked after a while.

"Lying about what's wrong to help someone feel better?" Emily thought for a while. "There's nothing wrong with that."

Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:31 pm
Deanie wrote a review...

Hey there Willow!

Here to catch up and read the last bit of this story! I have to say though, there isn't too much for me to comment on at all here. This was an awesome chapter. We got to see Belinda caring about someone else and just be a good person for her grandmother, as well as her own personal struggle with her medical condition. I guess Emily is starting to piece together parts of Belinda's like, and she is starting to accept her more. I also liked how we saw her reflect on whether she liked Belinda or Melanie more. She had some good reasoning going on ^.^

I think what you mean to say here is that she's not supposed to tell information about her patients ;) Other than that little nitpick, I could honestly find nothing wrong with this chapter. (There was a moment where you had those three dots without he all important space there to separate them, but I will overlook that as long as you correct it ^^) So, great job.

A very good opening to a new case. I am looking forwards to seeing what this could possibly be about. I really can't give you any more feedback. Let me know when you post again :)

Deanie x

Hannah wrote a review...

Hello again~

I have to say that this chapter was a million times more genuine, subtle, believable, and touching than the last. This felt real. This felt completely real and I got so much closer to all the characters involved. I even loved that at first Emily wondered if this act was just another alternate personality instead of thinking what most of the readers would pretty naturally figure out: that she was just playing the part for a beloved relative (or even just friend).

So what makes it so? What can you take from this chapter that would be useful in others?

I think the first thing is the pacing. You don't go through a lot of action here, and yet at the same time you keep a brisk pace between the few moments that you have -- you have a few important moments and you give them each their time. We see them going into the hospital, in the room with the doctor, in the other room, and then in the room with the grandmother. And you don't linger in these places with lists of information, you focus on getting the important moments communicated first and don't spend time on anything else.

There's also a lot of personality in these pages. It's not so much strange questions. It's like you've slipped the absurd story from before into a realistic framework that comes along with the doctor SO matter-of-factly dealing with Belinda. Before, it seemed like nobody around her knew what to do with her or how to deal with her, but this doctor comes along and suddenly Belinda is solidified as a real character with just some quirks that we haven't discovered yet.

Maybe you could steal some of this concreteness by showing that other people know Belinda's habits AND the reasons behind them instead of just asking the reader to follow along whatever kind of strangeness Belinda encompasses. I know you kind of explained things like her using random words for other words, but I think since the explanation came from her, we couldn't quite believe it!

Lastly, I think the concrete communication of place really helped get this chapter into reality. We were in a hospital. We know generally what a hospital or nursing home looks and feels like. Using that stereotype we were able to build a location for ourselves and feel grounded. In other chapters, you have to make a special effort to describe or outline the location where the scene's taking place so we can ground ourselves. It's harder if it's in a new place without a stereotype to work from, but still necessary.

Again, I hope these thoughts are helpful to you!

Pm or reply if you have questions, etc.

Good luck and keep writing~

ExOmelas wrote a review...

'I guess that makes sense, Emily thought, if she comes here every two months.' - I think the thoughts should be in italics or bold or a different colour or something.

'There'd have to be some people who understand her predicament.' - I don't understand how this grammar rule works but 'understand' should be 'understood'. If it had been 'understand it would have to be, 'There have to be some people who understand her predicament'.

'thumb s across her palms.' - fairly certain this is just a typo ;)

'"They sniff weird."' - I think you mean 'They smell weird'.

'a alcohol wipe.' - this should be 'an alcohol wipe'.

'"I know I know."' - there should be a comma between the two 'I know's.

'"We'll leave so you can change." Dr. Darby said' - this should be a comma not a full stop and take a new sentence for speech.

'inches to short' - there should be two 'o's in 'too'.

'about her is that' - 'is' should be 'it was'.

'both of here heads flew in it's direction.' - 'here' should be 'their' and no apostrophe for that kind of 'its'.

'aluminum' - this is spelled 'aluminium'. I know it's pronounced 'aluminum' but for some reason whoever invented it spelled it with an 'i' then decided not to pronounce it.

'"Mrs. Christe." The old lady corrected.' - it should be a comma instead of a full stop before the speech marks (and a lower-case 't' for 'the') as the word 'corrected' is a speech verb.

'"What book are you reading."' - that full stop should be a question mark.

'come where all my stories?' - I think there should be an 'are' between 'where' and 'all'.

I couldn't really figure out what was going on with the conversation about 'Jacque, one of my kids'. I thought she didn't have kids, that her mum was begging her for grandkids.

'Emily asked as the walked to her car.' - 'the' should be 'they'.

'"She thinks you're your mom."' - 'you're' should be 'she's'.

'you don't want to upset her.' - you haven't put speech marks at the end of this speech.

Okay, plot stuff now. I loved your last line. It took me a while to learn that lesson and now it's really close to my heart. I like that you gave Belinda/Melanie a vibrant personality. With a split personality disorder it would have been incredibly easy to shove her into a box. Your characterisation of Emily is also excellent, and there are many of the doctor's lines that made me smile.

Be careful with missing out steps. Occasionally I was having to fill in the gaps with assumption because you had missed out a step in your train of thought. I do that all the time and I've found that YWS is a good place to find out if you have. Once you've finished your story, I would leave it alone for a few months then go back to it and read it. If there is something where you don't remember why you wrote something, fill in the gap.

Well done! :)

Warlord wrote a review...

hey warlord here.
you sure are good in sequels . awesome story and mentains the standard of the previous parts. it surely gives a view of what its like being a handicap ,the problems they face ,the depression they are in .
i really must say you are an awesome writer . well as far as your mistakes are conserned there are a few ,not relly drastic but mistakes are mistakes .for instance:

1>in many places where you've used inverted commas you forgot to give spaces
2>"{[Your]} the one who didn't want the wheelchair, now prove that you don't need it."
you're
3>Belinda took a deep breath and shakily handed the {[aluminum]} cane to the doctor
it should be aluminium instead
4>As far as Emily could tell she didn't like to be the {[center]} of attention and she
preferred to hide behind her hair.
it should be centre
5>Belinda stopped at a door {[labeled]} 134.
it should be labelled

but the story sure is a thumbs up :)

WillowCutz says...

Actually in America it's center, but I get that a lot. By latin teacher thinks he's Canadian (though thoroughly denies it) anywho, thanks for the review! :D

To have more, you have to become more. Don't wish it was easier - wish you were better. For things to change, you have to change, and for things to get better, you have to get better.
— Jim Rohn