Therapy Doesn't Work

by FlowerPower

"So, tell me what you remember." His words come out slow and thick, and the smell of whisky on his breath floated across the room over to me. A ray of moonlight shined through the window and reflected off of the short glass that still sat perfectly in his hand, displaying the golden liquid that surrounded two perfect ice cubes.

I leaned back against the cushioned leather chair and thought. But nothing came. Half of my mind wanted to declare my anxiety and be free, while the other half wanted nothing but to forget. So similar to the problem of -2+2, my mind continued to cancel out any possible answer.

The clock ticked along, pointing out the evident fact that I still hadn't said a word. A thick hand cuts through the light of the moon and reaches a handle of his glasses, taking them off, and the sound of a soft thud is also heard as he gently closes his book with his other hand that no longer held the glass. "Well it looks like our time has run out on us once again Mr. Collins. Will I be seeing you again here next week?" I nodded in agreement though I wasn't paying attention until I noticed him standing in the door way waiting for me to leave.

By the time my next appointment rolled by, the chains that constricted my mind seemed to loosen up. "How was your week." It eased my mind not having to jump into intense conversation, but somehow the dark green turtle neck thathewore seemed to suffocate me.

"It was decent. My father stopped by for a visit. Its the first time he's been over since..." My voice trailed off.

"Since what?" He asked, wanting me to say it.

"Since the accident." Was I making a break through?

"But it was forced, and he didn't stay long. He wouldn't have come if my mother didn't need more clothes. She's been staying with me ever since."

"Since?"

"The accident." The word stung a little bit less every time I said it. "The accident."

I felt bold.

"And why is that?"

"Why is what? Why can't my father look at me anymore so he never visits? Or do you mean why does my mother expect me to be three people at once?" My head began to pound as I spat out those hateful words, and my hands went clammy out of nervousness. My mind locked up on me and I could say no more. I didn't want therapy, I didn't want to devote an hour and a half of my day every week to sit in a rectangular room at eight at night to be watched by someone who's just good at asking questions.

He didn't say anything, he would just occasionally look up at me then write in his notebook, then back up at me again.

"Is this what I'm paying you for?" My emotions were out of control and I decided that this was my last time going to 'therapy'. I didn't go the next week or the week after that but my routine of leaving the house at a certain time was still kept to calm my mothers nerves. I spent most of my time driving around town, not knowing where to stop. I just wanted to be alone but my thoughts always seemed to follow. After three missed appointments I finally returned. For the first time I was able to see the entirety of his face as he stood in the beam of light that shined in when I opened the door. He was covered in white hair that was sprinkled with specks of black, and a thick indented scar lined from his temple to his jaw. His eyes were the warmest shade of brown and were surrounded by wrinkles.

"Close the door, don't just stand there." He scolded as he turned away.

"I apologize for my absence." I took my usual seat while he made himself a drink and stayed silent.

"I've been doing some thinking these past few weeks, and I realize my problem. I take things in and try to repress them way down so I never feel them. It's wrong but I do it because I don't have someone to talk to other than a random man who knows nothing about me. My brother was my confidant. I could talk to him about anything, and now he's gone. He didn't have to come with me on the train to New York that day, but I asked him to be there for me." The words came pouring out as my mental block melted away. I couldn't stop no matter how hard I tried, I had to say what was trapped on the inside.

"I'd switch places with him in a heartbeat. I was the one who should have died while my brother went to the bathroom." Tears began to form at the corners of my eyes and spill over onto my hot face. "My father blames me, says that I 'killed my favorite son' so that hurts, how was I suppose to know there was a bomb on the tracks. And my mother wants me to be both myself Brayden and my dad all at the same time, and I just can't handle it. I passed by an old park we use to visit, and I cried when I remembered the time my brother comforted me when I fell of the monkey bars and broke my arm." All the while I was giving my speech my eyes stayed either glued to the floor or on my hands which shook, and I secretly wondered if we was still in the room.

Silently the sound of slow claps began to envelope the small dark room. "You did it. You finally expressed your true feelings. I'm glad I was able to reach out to you after the accident." He got up slowly from his chair and went over to his desk, putting down his notebook and bringing a drink over me. "How do you feel now?"

"Not great, but a hell of a lot better." My heart felt a lot lighter.

"What would you do to see your brother again?" His tone changed slightly.

"Anything." I said facing him now, as he sat on the arm rest of his chair sipping his drink.

"You see, something I never told you, I was at the train station that day as well."

"Really?" I said, surprised.

"Oh, yes. I was on the same train as your brother, but like you I got off early too." He let out a small chuckle, "I didn't expect this to be so hard." I was confused by his words. "When you stopped coming I was prepared to come after you no matter the cost. You see, everyone on the train that day was suppose to die. Not one lone survivor. So when I heard that you survived, I had to find a way to get to you. So I volunteered to be your therapist to make sure you were the right person."

"Every time you sat there saying absolutely nothing I wanted to reach into my desk drawer and end it." He held the hand gun with the barrel facing the ceiling, allowing the moon light to shine against it. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I eyed the door trying to think of an escape plan.

"Don't try to escape. It won't do you any good." His glass clanked against the table as he set it down and stood up. "Don't worry, it won't last long. Besides, you'll be with your brother before long." He raised the gun to my head.

"Please, don't do this! I'll give you anything you want, just please don't!" I hollered frantically.

"Anything?"

"Anything."

"I want satisfaction." The hammer hit the bullet and it flew out, piercing my skull.

SoundsOfSilence wrote a review...

Hey there, Sounds here for a quick review.

First off, I gotta say... wow. That ending was great. It really threw me for a loop. I knew I hated therapists for a reason; there's something shady about each and every one of them. True story.

Irrelevant: this made me think of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories a little bit.

Back on track! I think you should work on breaking your paragraphs up a bit. Specifcially here:

I think you could have easily separated that into two paragraphs, and maybe added a bit more detail. That's something I agree with other reviewers about, you should have a bit more detail instead of just jumping to it, or throwing something vague, if that makes any sense.

On the other hand, it doesn't take away from the piece as a whole. It was a very enjoyable read.

FlowerPower says...

Now I feel bad for contributing to your hate of therapist! But thank you for the review, I will look it over :)

Sassafras wrote a review...

Hey, FlowerPower!

A thick hand cuts through the light of the moon

You change tenses here with "cuts".

By the time my next appointment rolled by,

This time lapse is extremely sudden. There was no real sense of finality in the scene before it so I continued to read as if I was in the same scene. I suggest you make a more final end to the scene before it before moving on to the next one.

Why can't my father look at me anymore so he never visits?

The wording here is awkward.

After three missed appointments I finally returned.

You might have a continuity error here. Before you said that he'd made it to his next appointment - I mentioned it earlier - but now you're saying that he missed three before coming? I'm confused. And, reading forward, there seems to be another time lapse?

'killed my favorite son'

That should be "his favorite son".

--

Woah. What? I was not expecting that at all. I can't believe his therapist shot him. Who gave that man a psychology degree?! This was an enjoyable little short story, overall. You main character was a little flat, I didn't really feel anything when he died, but you made up for that by a awesome plot line! Also the background characters are lacking. You don't really expand on his relationship with his mother and father. The story progressed rather quickly and I think slowing down and expanding more could help you. Show some scenes of the mc at home, interacting with his parents, and reflecting on his brothers death. I feel like I've missed out on a lot with his life here.

The time lapses do get confusing around the middle, and I suggest you clean those up, but other than that I don't have much to say. Good work, FP.

-RP

FlowerPower says...

I thought I was changing tenses but I'm not sure what 'cuts' should be to keep the same tense.

After his second appointment he decided he wouldn't be coming back and ended up missing three appointments but eventually came back.

It's "my favorite son" because he is quoting his father.

Thanks for the review.

Gringoamericano wrote a review...

First off, I love that little quip at the end. I don't see how the narrator could tell us about a bullet piercing his skull, but that's just minor nitpicking.

I liked this story. There were a few grammatical errors here and there. A paragraph that didn't need to be separated from the one before it, but once again, all just minor nitpicking.

The only way that I could see this being improved is that I would say that it would help to expand on the whole "abruptness of death" theme you have going on. This can be done by elaborating on our protagonists life a bit, and making the death scene a bit more abrupt. Probably by having the therapist shoot him once, explain the situation, then finish him off.

FlowerPower says...

I will keep those suggestions in mind, thanks for the review!

AHHHHHHHHHHH twist ending!

Haha, I completely didn't expect it! That also means that the whole time I was thinking "hey, a real therapist would never say this kind of stuff, you need to research therapy a bit more" is all forgiven, 'cause guess what? He wasn't a real therapist! Haha, that's crazy.

Okay, but I'm not completely satisfied. I think the problem is that I need more details and I need the reveal to not happen so "I'm the evil villain and I'm going to reveal my plan" to be able to really believe it. I'd like to really believe it as a scene that could happen in real life, but right now it tastes too much of vague fiction.

Share more details about the father and the mother. Share more details about the brother and the accident. I know it's hard to do in dialogue without sounding like a complete information dump, but one way is to make ANY mention of the situation with some small, specific detail. Like instead of mentioning a general "train", give it a name: "The A Line" or something like that. THESE are the details that will make it feel like your characters are walking in a real world instead of just playing a part in your writing.

Also, the only other thing that I can't quite believe is the "volunteered to be your therapist" thing -- I don't think that's how people would find therapists, so you might want to consider another way that these two people met again. Or at least explain whether maybe the city made some general efforts to help out victims of the tragedy. I dunno if something like that happens with a public incident like that. If so, build up a little bit more scaffolding around the mention so that we believe it! We gotta have the evidence in front of our eyes, we readers, 'cause we like to think and not just swallow what we're given, right? haha.

I hope these thoughts are helpful for you!

PM me or reply to the review if you have any questions/comments.

Good luck and keep writing!

FlowerPower says...

I did have some trouble with the reveal, I didn't want it to be like "here is my master plan, I was the murderer all along" but I wasn't sure how to fix it, if you have any opinions I would love to hear them.

I like the idea of adding in specif details, like about the train, thanks for that.

Thanks for the review though, it was really helpful!

Hannah says...

Maybe think carefully about what questions the victim would ask and what kind of questions a regular villain would actually answer, or if there's any way you can have the victim figure it out -- maybe there's a police sketch that he finally sees and matches it with the guy's face, or some other specific object that places him at the scene. Or maybe the last moment is when the villain hypnotises the victim to get the buried memory out of him. Think about it~ Work it out~ And you're welcome! I'm glad I could help. :)

Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:54 pm
Kanome wrote a review...

Hello, Flower.
Kanome here with a review for you.

Oh wow, that ending. It took me by surprise. I never expected the therapist to be a cold-blooded murderer.
That raises some questions. Did he kill his brother? Or was it really an accident? Suspicious, suspicious.

Anyways, on to nitpicks:
I have to admit something - I am a bit of a comma freak, so I apologize for future reference.

Anywho, I believe a comma should be placed here, since you are using two adjectives describing one object.

I leaned back against the cushioned, leather chair...-

This sentence started with the word "So"... It's probably me, but I think you shouldn't start the sentence with that word. It's probably me because I was told not to use "So" to start a sentence. If you want to rewrite this sentence, you can, but it's only a suggestion. You don't have to do it.

So similar to the problem of -2+2, my mind continued to cancel out any possible answer.

I believe that is all from this mouth.
Keep up the great work. I can't wait to read more c:

FlowerPower says...

Thanks for the review! I did have some trouble trying to word that sentence that started with "so". I was considering getting rid of it all together, but I'm not sure.

Congratulations!
— Magestorrrow