z

Young Writers Society



Asenath:Tears on the Sand Chapter 13

by Aravis10


XIII

When she woke, Joseph sat kneeling before her bed. “Asenath, I am sorry. It was wrong to get angry at you last night. I believe in Elohim with all my heart, but I can’t force you to believe in Him or love Him as I do. I pray that when you learn to love me, you will also learn to love Him. Will you forgive my anger?”

Asenath was too tired to fight. “I forgive you.” She could not fathom why this powerful, strong, and handsome man would ask for forgiveness.

Unheard of!

Yet, it made her respect him more.

He is faithful to his God. Faithfulness is commendable. And… she realized painfully, He has enough strength to admit that he was wrong.

“I have something for you,” Joseph said. He held out a chest carved out of beautiful wood.

Asenath took it. “Thank you.”

“Open it!”

As she lifted the top, her jaw dropped. “Paints! Brushes! How did you know?”

“I took the liberty of asking Oni what you enjoyed doing.”

“There are colors in here that I didn’t know that they even made paint for!”

“When I was given this house, I had all the walls painted white because of the abominations that were previously on them. Now, they are all yours to repaint. My only rules are no immodesty or idols.”

“Oh! Thank you! You are generous to me.”

“My pleasure. Now I must get to the palace for an early meeting.” He hurried away smiling.

He is just trying to flatter me. But, no, he is good. No. I won’t love! Fenuku was good. Look at him now. Well, at least I can admire him. That’s not love, right?

#*#*#*#*#*#*

A week passed of painting and politics for Asenath. She painted every moment of her spare time. In the bedroom, she was painting a star-lit garden of chrysanthemums and butterflies. Joseph even helped a bit with Asenath’s guidance.

However, her spare time was not easy to come by. During the rest hours, she went around to other noblewomen’s houses all over the country.

The popular opinion of Joseph was not high. Asenath went about improving his standings with influential families.

Many of her conversations went the same. The noblewoman would be skeptical of the prophesied famine and the odd storing of grain in such a plentiful time. Asenath would reassure the woman, “Remember that the Pharaoh is a god. He knows what is to be and has assigned Zaphenath-paneah to this task. We must not question the gods.”

She didn’t believe what she was saying, but it was her duty to improve her husband’s social standing in any way she could. At least, that is what she told herself.

Why am I really doing this? Maybe, I…admire him? Yes. Like I would admire a famous musician. Admiration is nothing like love. I won’t get to know him. I won’t even ask him his story. If I don’t know him, I can’t love him.

But slowly she was getting to know him while watching him whether she knew it or not. He was generous-he often gave to the poor. At Oni and Msrah’s wedding, he had abundantly given them cloth, money, and a fattened calf. He was just, punishing the guilty, and merciful, his punishment was never in anger but in love.

His character was nothing like Asenath had ever seen before. She watched with fascination and confusion.

What makes a man act so?

#*#*#*#*#*#*#

“Wake up!” Joseph cried excitedly as he shook Asenath’s bed. “I have a surprise for you!”

“What is happening?” Asenath moaned.

“Nothing! Except for you being a sleepy-head!”

She rolled over and pulled the sheets above her head. “Go away.”

“What if I told you that the surprise had to do with…paint?”

She sat up, wide awake. “Paint!”

Joseph’s chuckle echoed through the room. “Yes, paint. Now get up and meet me at the back door.”

“Alright, alright. Give me twenty minutes.”

In a half hour, Asenath met Joseph at the back door.

“You are late,” he teased.

Asenath scowled. “I had to look presentable.”

“You look gorgeous. Come on. But, first, you have to close your eyes.”

“Joseph!”

“I insist.”

She frowned then shut her eyes.

“No peeking.”

“What are you doing?”

“Promise that you won’t peak?”

She huffed. “Fine. I promise.”

She tried to look irritated as Joseph led her along, but on the inside she was excited.

“Really, this is childish.”

Joseph didn’t reply as Asenath heard a door creak, then click shut behind them. A burst of fear hit Asenath.

“I don’t like this, Joseph.”

“It’s alright. Go ahead and look.”

Asenath opened her eyes and gasped. “Where are we?”

“On our estate, of course.”

“How did you get it here?”

It was her old painted house and wall. They were inside the walls surrounded by Asenath’s paintings.

“The past vizier’s coffin was taken to his pyramid, and I decided to change this garden into a painted garden especially for you. That day, when I rode by your house as a slave, I admired your paintings. They are masterpieces. I knew that you would like to have them as much as I would. My men took it apart, moved it, and rebuilt it making sure it would stay exactly the same.”

“Joseph, I am…speechless,” Asenath said, trying to sound grateful.

Joseph scrutinized her. “Do you like it?”

“Yes, I do. It’s just…it needs flowers.”

Joseph smiled. “Yes, you are right. I will talk to the gardener about some trees and flowers, then head out. I have to check on the storage building at Tell el-Dab’a.” He picked her up and spun her around like on the day of their wedding.

But, this time, Asenath could only give a weak smile.

Joseph knew that something was wrong, but he had to leave. “Good bye, dearest Asenath.”

When he was gone, Asenath fell down on the ground. The paintings were abstract and dominated by the color red. She noticed a self-portrait of herself screaming at the burning red sky in a deeper red desert. A hot, salty tear fell down her cheek. Then another, then another, until, before she knew it, she was crying. Conflicting emotions fought inside of her. The walls, the paintings brought back everything. The pain, the years of depression and solitude.

When things are just getting better, they get worse! My life is a mess! He was just trying to be nice, to make me feel at home. But, he doesn’t know me. I don’t let him. Was he just being nice or was there something more? He knows that I want to give him what he wants, but when he gets a new wife he wants me nearby just in case! Of course! I was blind. He is buttering me up for a divorce, or worse! Making me a concubine. No. He wouldn’t do that. Would he? I just don’t know anymore!

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*

Asenath lived the next week and a half in a daze. She knew that on the first of the month, Joseph would put her away. To keep it from hurting, she went numb and unfeeling. She wouldn’t speak more than two words at a time or eat full meals.

Finally, the day she had been dreading, yet strangely looking for, came. The first of the month.

But, to her surprise, nothing happened.

He will surely take action tomorrow.

But the next day was the same, and s was the next.

On the night of the fourth day of the month, she was tired of waiting. When Joseph came into their room, she spoke firmly, “Joseph. I have to talk to you.”

He was startled. “Of course, darling.”

“It has been a month and four days since our wedding.”

“Yes. I suppose it has been.”

“When are you going to do it?”

“Do what?”

“Don’t pretend that you don’t know! I have refused to love you.”

“As you have said before.”

“WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET ANOTHER WIFE?”

“Another wife!” Joseph exclaimed.

“Yes, another wife. I know that you have been planning it for two weeks. Just get it over with.”

“I don’t know what you are talking about. I have only one wife, you.”

“That is ridiculous. Why would you do that?”

“First, my God wishes it. But, also, I am in love with only one person, you!”

“Are you deaf? I will not love! You will never have children!”

“I am prepared to deal with that. Face it. You are stuck with me.”

Asenath stared at him.

Unexpected. He actually loves me. What a fool I have been! But I cannot love him. My heart is too deformed by pain and loss to ever love again.

After that discussion, Asenath began to care for Joseph. She took a real interest in his work and reputation. Her concern was for his well-being, but she did not love him. She was too afraid to love.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:29 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Timmy here! :3

Since Therese (sisters always get in your way. >.<) went and reviewed all the emotional things I might have talked about, I will have to make this short and sweet - looking at mainly one thing in particular. Telling versus Showing. While this was a good chapter in itself, and one that establishes quite a few more things in mind about her character and such, there are certain aspects of it which could be perfected. And worked on for the re-write you were talking about.

Let's get started, then. c:

So, telling versus showing. In this novel, I am really seeing too much telling. And when I say too much, it's as though the chapter is simply stuffed with it, from beginning to end. While telling isn't a bad thing and definitely helps a piece (as long as it's only used when needed), there does need to be a stricter leash on it than with showing. I'll give you an example. ^^

Asenath was too tired to fight.


That is an example of telling. You, the writer, are telling us that Asenath is tired. Now while that may or may not be the proper time for it. And since you use telling so often, this was definitely not the proper time. Especially when you have so many different ways you could have shown us how she was tired. Asenath could have yawned, she could have groaned and displayed disinterest or just rubbed her eyes. Or perhaps she tries to say something snotty to Joseph, and she is too tired to think properly. Something visual is always better, because it gives the reader something to grasp. And that's good. :3 Without an image to connect the dots in your story, we're pretty much flying blind and by the seat of our pants. You need to continue giving us an image to keep us grounded, and so that we know what we're supposed to be seeing. So, in short, showing beats telling almost every time. Not quite every time, but close.

A burst of fear hit Asenath.


Another example where I would have liked to see showing her fear rather than telling. Why was she afraid? Tell us that. Also, showing things tends to give us something to connect to the character better, building their character with the way and reasons they react to things as we go along the piece. Kills two birds with one stone, doesn't it? Better image. Better character.

And then I see again a portion of the dialogue where it's like a talking-head interview, with no character movement or some such. Remember to implement other things into your dialogue - such as character movement and thought. Because by itself, dialogue makes a piece look empty. And while I won't speak again on the internal dialogue parts, I do think that a long paragraph of it is a bit much. I always thought internal dialogue was meant to make the reader know that the character feels a lot about a certain thing - whether in anger or happiness. Like a single word or quick sentence, just to accentuate a thought and made it seem more in the eyes of the reader. You have just about every thought she makes in first-person internal dialogue, which makes it more difficult to spread it through out the piece. So, instead you have it in big blocks only once or twice. Work on spreading the thought throughout the piece as one butters bread, and I would personally ease up on the internal dialogue. It can be more distracting, and because it's all first-person, makes her seem like a overly drama queen at times. In the end, this is your book and all I can make are suggestions. If you like those parts, then leave 'em. But if my comments help you seem them in a different light, then you know what to do. ^.^

I believe I have run out of things to say. >.< This is why I like being the first reviewer, being able to say whatever without being worried about repeating the reviewer before you. But one thing I will repeat. This chapter was really awesome. I enjoyed the painting parts so much, especially because Joseph is trying so hard to get her to love him. Each time she throws him off, but it truly seems as though she is starting to warm up to him. Slowly. Slowly. All good things are worked for, I suppose. And how he brought her old walls and old paintings back? PERFECT. That was the perfect thing to do, because it showed what he was willing to do for her - which is basically just about everything and anything.

Onto the next chapter! (any preferences or particular things you want me to comment on, let me know. I love doing customized reviews)
~Darth Timmyjake




User avatar
401 Reviews


Points: 1658
Reviews: 401

Donate
Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:16 pm
View Likes
ThereseCricket wrote a review...



Hi! Cricket here to review!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatt? He apologized to her? After what she said to him? Hmm, I found that a little strange, but it did make her respect him more, so that is good.

What I found to be my favorite spot is this:

“I am prepared to deal with that. Face it. You are stuck with me.”


This little bit of dialogue from Joseph really struck home with me. For one, it was so final and convincing of his character. He is telling her that he's not going to put her away, and that even though she won't love him, he still does, and that means that he will keep her. Although, one thing I am confused about.

You said in one spot that his God didn't wish him to put her away. Like it was a law, which it is, in the Old Testament. Now I'm not entirely sure about this, as I haven't read the Old Testament for a few months, but didn't the law of Moses allow divorce? Like God allowed it to prevent a greater evil? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just have that idea stuck in my head, and I wanted to make sure it wasn't correct. I don't agree with divorce at all, so I appreciate Joseph's enthusiasm when it comes to him telling her flat out no to her assumptions. Good work there.

One thing that I thought I should really talk about more is Asenath and her character. Sometimes, she really doesn't seem that real. I mean, she's what? Seventeen, right? Or around there... she acts like she's fourteen sometimes, and even younger. It's mainly her dialogue in my opinion. It's almost like she just says whatever is in her head, without giving a thought to what it really means. Like she's talking to him about this divorce, and she truly doesn't sound like she knows what she's talking about. I think a little more insight on her character needs to be worked on as you go. I mean, I know I'm going to get to know her more as I read further, on and on, but still... when writing the final draft, you need to really focus on her character more, and how she works. From this chapter, I was starting to get the impression that she was a bit silly. No offense intended though. I know she isn't. She has a strong will, and a highly cultivated mind.

Unheard of!

Yet, it made her respect him more.


This is something that I've been noticing throughout. It's almost like two bits of thought are together, but they contradict each other. She thinks it's unheard of for him to apologize to her, but then it also makes her respect him more. When I read the first line, I almost thought she was scoffing at him. I don't think that's what you were getting at. Maybe have more description here, of some facial expressions and try and explain to us her emotions. Her emotions can be conflicting at times, and it's best to try and keep them steady.

He picked her up and spun her around like on the day of their wedding.


Would he really dare to do that to her? She has already told him that she doesn't love him, and she won't even let him sleep with her. Even though he's still her husband by law! Personally, if I told a man that I didn't love him, and was married to him, I would let him come near me with a fifty foot pole. Also before this, she wouldn't let him put his arms around her. I think it would be best that you do something with the two, to make this seem more probable that she would let him do it, or you take it out completely.

He was just, punishing the guilty, and merciful, his punishment was never in anger but in love.


This is a bit of a run-on. Remember run-on's don't always have to be long. They can be short sentences too. Here though, I think you should go more into. Maybe give us a scene, where it actually shows how he is just and merciful. Show us, how he never gives out a punishment in anger by an example. Will help us get a deeper insight to his character, in the long run.

To keep it from hurting


Question! Why would it hurt exactly? She doesn't love him... maybe more explanation there?

One more thing. If she goes cold and unfeeling, and doesn't speak more than two words, and won't eat full meals... what about Joseph? He is noticing her strange behavior right? And he probably doesn't like it, correct? I mean, what man does? I'd suggest placing a quick scene here, that would go into that maybe. Maybe him pleading with her to tell him what's wrong, or just something like that. Might add a bit more to it.

From this chapter we now know that Joseph has no intention of putting her away, and that he truly does love her. Show's that he has a true and good heart. Which helped me understand him better, as people who are strong and true are usually the easiest to understand. Funny how that works. Asenath doesn't seem very constant right now, and her morals used to be seriously lacking. And I find her hard to understand. Joseph on the other hand... is moral, strong, has a amazing sense of humor, and is an overall sweetheart. And I understand him very well.

I think it might just take me some time to understand her. xD

Keep writing!

~Cricket




Aravis10 says...


In answer to your question about divorce, Moses came over 400 years after this. In Joseph's life, there was no Law exactly and no written history of Israel. It was all word of mouth, stories passed on from generation to generation. My mention about God not wanting him to put her away came from the story of Isaac and Leah. They were cheated into marrying each other, but Isaac did not divorce her. Why? Asenh is a complex character that I have tried to create. Characters are not always good guys or bad guys if you know what I mean. I don't exactly understand her either but that's because she is an outflow of my mind and I don't always understand myself. OK That was super deep. It's the weekend. I shouldn't be thinking deep things. Thanks for your reviews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 6836
Reviews: 440

Donate
Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:45 pm
Wolfi wrote a review...



Happy Review Day!
Another chapter, swamped in the Green Room!

Joseph gave her paint! How sweet of him! Maybe Asenath could paint another rainbow coat for him! xD And he brought the painted walls back! That must have been difficult to do, in that time. Did that really happen?
Yay! I'm so happy that Asenath has finally given in in her love for Joseph. Though she seemingly refuses to love him, I'm quite certain that she does. She admires him more than she knows. It may take her a while to find this out, but Joseph isn't like all other men. He isn't like Fenuku. He is a follower of God, and I'm sure that Asenath will become one, too.
Oh no!!! I have to actually wait for Chapter Fifteen??? I am not used to this! Please write fast, my friend! I will be waiting! Can you please tag me when the next chapter is out? Until then, goodbye! Keep up the good work!

Image




Aravis10 says...


Yes ma'am. I will post when I get back from vacation. My story is at home.



Wolfi says...


Awesome! :D



User avatar
557 Reviews


Points: 33593
Reviews: 557

Donate
Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:05 am
Ventomology wrote a review...



Yo! I know I didn't get your other chapters, but I felt kind of like I would just be repeating things so... yeah.

Anyways, nitpicks first:

During the rest hours, she went around to other noblewomen’s houses all over the country.
I am unsure of what you mean by 'rest hours'.
He was just, punishing the guilty, and merciful, his punishment was never in anger but in love.
That last comma ought to be a semicolon.
“Promise that you won’t peak?”
Peek. Funny enough, I made the exact same typo in a piece I wrote!
But the next day was the same, and s was the next.
Need I say anything?

Now then... my biggest complaint is all the telling. The events of this story have almost completely been told in retrospect, like distant memories. That's fine at the very beginning, or during exposition, but when we're this far in, I feel like things should be happening HERE and NOW for Asenath. You missed an opportunity to indirectly characterize Joseph to the extreme! You missed the chance to make us feel the uncertainty of all the noblewomen that Asenath talks to about Joseph's grain plan. And that's not even the biggest downside of 'telling'. We are missing huge amounts of visual detail throughout the entire piece.

Now then, on the good side: I appreciate how Joseph really does match Asenath's description. Often, a writer will describe a character, and then their personality doesn't really match. Also, your casual references to the Bible story were perfect! It's interesting to see how those events might have affected other people.

Well then... I think that's it from me today. Catch you later!





As if you were on fire from within. The moon lives in the lining of your skin.
— Pablo Neruda