z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Secrets Of the World- Chapter 3

by Mackattack


I knew that once I hit the bottom my life would never be the same, but I never felt it hit. I suppose half-way through the fall I lost consciousness, because when I woke up I was in pain ,and on the floor. I felt as if every bone in my body had shattered, I wouldn’t dare open my eyes to look though. I couldn’t see anything because I still wouldn’t open my eyes. Yet I could sense my hands were right in front of me. When I tried to move a burning pain shot through my leg, it was surely broken.

This is it, I thought, I cannot stand so I must die, I have failed. My fingers wear able to move from under me, but I couldn’t seem to find the spot that could easily and quickly kill me. I realized that I would have to watch as I killed myself, or else I would lay here for a long amount of time until I slowly wasted away. I tried to open my eyes but I couldn’t seem to open them. I wiggled my left hand from under my body, every move I made sent another wave of pain through my system. I felt my face with my hand, struggling to work my way up to my eyes. Then a sharp pain in my retina made my body flinch, my eyes where never closed. I was trapped in a dark area, no room; I-I-I couldn’t see it was too dark. My hands trembled so badly I feared they would fall off.

“Make it stop, make it stop, make it stop” I screamed over and over but no one came. I started to pull at my black locks of hair, fistful by fistful I pulled. By now my words had died away to whispers, still no one answered. A small blue light alerted me that something was there, it was very faded but it grew in size. The light made a form, almost like that of child’s drawing. The hairs on the back of my neck tingled, this was creature was not answering my plea for help. It wanted diner; I was the main course. The beast came closer, I tried to move away only to realized I was frozen. I smelled a foul stench of rotting bodies and fresh blood.

“Darkness is where fear runs wild” the best spoke,” let yourself fear me. I only grow stronger! Your weakness is my strength, your loss is my gain. “The ground rumbled with every syllable it spoke. I could see it more clearly now, it’s size what make my blood run cold. Calling it huge would be humorous; the best stood tall and proud reaching more than thrice my height. It was still only an outline but I could see horns on its head which appeared to be in the shape of a horsemouse. Then I felt cold hands grab my body and pull me upward, the pain in my leg long forgotten now.

“Put me safely on the ground now!” I demanded to it. The words sounding much more confident then I felt.

“Oh, look the queen decides to show her voice. You have no idea how much it pleases me to hear you beg. “It rumbled. The creature then slowly lowered me down toward what seemed to be it’s mouth. I wiggled and squirmed, but I couldn’t get free from it’s hand. My heart was squished against my rib cage so I could hear and feel the beats. To this day I am surprised at how it did not burst for how fast it was beating. Just as the beast was about to eat me I heard a noise, the monster seem to hear it too for he paused. It seemed to be growing louder, my ears felt as if they were ablaze. The monster seemed to not be able to stand the noise either, he started to crumble. I felt his hands turning into a gritty liquid; soon he would not be able to hold me. I felt a spark of hope, but when I felt that hope my unknown resolve seemed to diminish. I started to feel the affects of the noise myself, my arms felt like lead and my head felt as if I was underwater. That’s when, for the second time that day, I fell. A burning pain running through my body revealed to me that I landed on my leg, but my head felt too cluttered to take notice.

“Stop the darkness! Stop the darkness!” the noise was now clearer, I could make out what it was saying. Then noise stopped, and light flooded into the room. I had to blink rapidly for a long time; I guess I was in there for longer than I thought.

“Melanie!” a voice screeched from right. It was Britney. I couldn’t see much, the beast I realized had dissolved into what looked and smelled like tar, but now it was getting in my hair and unfortunately my eyes. I tried to crawl away; I couldn’t even look at Britney not after what she had done. She knew my one weakness and she exploited me, I have never felt as vulnerable as I did there on that floor. Britney was too fast though; she wrapped what felt like a blanket around me and hugged me close.

“Don’t you do that again! Do you hear me young lady.” That’s when I got confused; didn’t she literally throw me into the hole and into the arms of that beast?

“What are you talking about? You’re the one who threw me into this death trap!” Britney looked at me strangely, almost as if I had grown another head. I wiped my eyed on the blanket thinking that what I was seeing was just the tar in my face. I looked back at Britney, but her face was still the same. She was just as confused as I was.

“I was in my room asleep, Rosie buzzed for me on the intercom yelling at me to come down to the pit. I haven’t seen you since yesterday, and I most certainly wouldn’t through you down into Hector’s cage.” No her words didn’t match up, I saw her throw me in. Everything is so clear, I can replay that moment over and over in my head, and it was certainly real it had to be. The look on Britney’s face though, told a whole other story.

“Come on Mel, let’s get out of here. Rosie is in the surveillance area, she might know more about this.” Britney led me to a steel door on the right, my leg still hurt so badly but I wanted to figure out what happened. When I walked in I saw Rosie looking at a bunch of screens, her brown hair was pulled into a bun today. Britney and I always thought she looked weird with her hair down, but that might be because she has only worn her hair down once. When Rosie saw us she rushed over and hugged me so hard it was like I was in the beasts hands again.

“What on earth were you thinking!?” Rosie was always know for keeping calm and collective, so to say I was surprised by this outburst was an understatement. She had also taken the liberty to wipe my face off with her white lab coat creating black stains all over it. She must have caught me looking at them because she said that she could always get another coat. Rosie then proceeded to guide me and Britney over to the monitors.

“How did you do it?” the question was blunt and straight forward, yet I had no idea what she was referring to.

“ugh..” was my best answer. Rosie seemed to catch my dilemma and she continued.

“How did you turn hector into tar? And why where you screaming?” she looked me in the eye with the look Britney has dubbed the give me answers before I spilt your stomach open look. I just looked at her, I couldn’t fathom as to why she thought the noise that I heard was myself, much less that I turned Hector in to a tar puddle. Rosie sighed as she turned to the screen and pressed a button just under it. The screen showed a gritty recording of me being held by hector. All of a sudden he stopped; I saw that I was screaming. That voice was me! Then something happened, a faint purple light seemed to be radiating from me, my body flickered and soon I could only see a purple glow. Hector was melting away, and then the screen went blank.

“That’s all I can show you, the cameras just stop working after that. How did you it? And why would you do it? You know how hard the skelts have been studding Hector.” Rosie looked at me and all I could do was wonder one thing.

“Why did I turn purple?” Rosie looked surprised at my question, Britney did to. They looked at each other then back at me. Rosie then said something that I didn’t want to hear.

“Mel you never turned purple, you were just screaming.” I just looked at her, and then I asked if she would show me the tape again, but just to skip to the part before it cuts off, then freeze the tape. Rosie looked oddly at my request but she followed anyway. When she stopped at the part in the tape I could see a glow of purple where my body is. When I point this out to them they just look at me as if I had just spoken another language.

“Mel, I can’t even see you, the picture is too dark. There is no glowing purple orb.” Britney was speaking to me slowly as if I were a child. I could see it, but why can they not? Rosie then looked at me as if she knew something but she didn’t want it to be true. I just looked at her hard, I wouldn’t waver. Something in me just had to make sure they believed me, finally Rosie spoke.

“Melanie, did Hector ever speak to you?” Britney looked as if she was about to intervene but Rosie held up her hand to silence her. Now that I think about that moment more clearly I think he was speaking. I had to think hard though; it was as if something just didn’t want me to remember.

“Yes I think he did speak to me. He called me the queen.” Rosie looked as if her worst fears came true. Little did I know that the best thing for me to have done was to have lied and said I never heard him speak. It would have been better for us all.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:29 am
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there! Noelle here for a Review Day review!

That was one creepy chapter. Everything seemed to be normal, or as normal as can be, until Melanie ended up outside the pit and found out that Britney had no idea what had happened. That's when things started getting confusing for both us and for Melanie. I have a sneaky feeling that the Britney that pushed Melanie down into the pit wasn't the real Britney. I can tell because the Britney from before was so mean and so pushy, but the Britney in this chapter is a lot different. I'm impressed with the change in personality here. It's a good clue that everything isn't what it seems.

Your description of Hector and Melanie's experience down there with him is great. It's definitely a scene that creeped me out a bit. Your imagery was great. I could not only see what was going on, but I could also feel Melanie's fear. Being down there in the dark with a giant monster? Definitely not a situation I would like to be in.

Now you've really caught my interest in this chapter. Not that I wasn't interested while reading the previous chapters (I so totally was), but now I feel like we're getting into the thick of things. Melanie just turned a giant monster into tar without knowing it. That's definitely something to watch out for. Not to mention she was glowing purple, something only she can see when the tapes are watched back. All of this is so curious and surprising that I just can't wait to find out more.

There are some grammatical errors I found, but Wolf pointed them out (as she always does). So I'm not going to waste your time and mine by repeating them. Besides, a lot of them are quick fixes that you can point out yourself. Just go back and reread and you'll find them :)

Alright, onto the next chapter!

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:07 am
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hello Mackenzie, Wolf here for a review. (Please excuse any grammatical/spelling errors, for I am on a phone.)

I am super happy you finally posted this chapter, after weeks of badgering you to write it.

Before I go any further, the biggest issue I noticed was commas. So I shall now proceed to give you the comma spiel! (A lot of this comes from the lesson our 8th Grade English Teacher made us write down, so you should also check there.)

1.) Dependent Clauses. So I know you know what a dependent clause is, but anyway, it is a phrase of a sentence that cannot stand on its own. Remember, any time a dependent clause goes before an independent clause, there is a comma. Even if that dependent clause is before an independent clause in a compound sentence. Here is an example of one from your story (that you did incorrectly).

I suppose half-way through I lost consciousness, because when I woke up I was in pain and on the floor.

Alright. So, just to make it more clear, I would add 'the fall' before 'I lost consciousness,' just to make it more clear. Back to commas, here is the correct way to punctuate it, with the added suggestion.
"I suppose halfway through the fall, I lost consciousness, because when I woke up, I was in pain and on the floor."
Get it?

2.) Compound Sentences. For the most part, you do well with this rule, how ever you do slack a bit here and there with this. Be careful!! Always remember the comma before the conjunction joining the two sentences. Also, don't forget the conjunction either! I notice so many comma splices. Don't do it! Remove the comma, and if it makes two separate sentences, it's a run-on!

3.) Between Adjectives. So, not sure if you did this or not, but always remember to put commas between a list of stuff or a list of adjectives. For example:
The big, white, and fluffy cat was named Ruffles.
or
His white, glossy house looked nice.
Remember that for future references. ;D

So there are tons of other grammar mistakes, but I'm far too tired to point them all out (hopefully someone else will do it for me.) Otherwise, I quite liked this chapter. Be careful with sentence starting. More often than not, you will start a sentence with a pronoun so you'll have 'I' starting a sentence four times in a row. It gets super boring to read. Here is another helpful resource.

Oooh, we're getting to the fantasy now! I can not wait to see where this leads, and I love the mystery of how Britney did, but did not push her down the hole! Awesome!! Keep Writing,
~Wolfare




Mackattack says...


:-p



User avatar
151 Reviews


Points: 388
Reviews: 151

Donate
Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:02 am
Pinkiegirl13 wrote a review...



Hi, Mackattack. My name is Pinkie Jackson, pinkie's friend. I like to be your reviewer today because I am bored and have to read this story while Pinkie is gone. So let's get this thing started.

Well, I never said this to people to their stories. Well, this story is very good for a 12 year old writer. The story is so interesting! I love this story and I want to read more! Ignore how I react to this. I love how you do with these characters. They'd seen so realistic to me. They are very interesting to read also the narrator. However, I think I had seen some grammar errors on here, but I can't find them through the story. But I love this story. I enjoyed this story very much. I love to read more from you. You did a great job. Keep up the good work.

Great Job! :D

Cheers

Your reviewer, Pinkie Jackson




Mackattack says...


Thank you so much! This has made my day. I can also tell from my recorded there has to be some grammer issues. I won,d also like to say I'm 14 going on 15. Oh well thanks soooo much for your comment!




If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven - and very, very few persons.
— James Thurber