Paper Boat

by Brunnera

An old memory suddenly triggered in my mind and I just felt like writing it out. I myself don't quite understand what I wanted to convey to the readers in this short story.

~~~~~~~~~

The young girl stood by the door of her classroom, blankly watching her classmates as they frolicked outside of the class.

Before the sun rose, it had rained heavily, turning Iman’s usually hot and dry school day into a cold one with a damp atmosphere. The windows of her class had fogged up with the humidity. The teacher had yet to enter the class. Her classmates took advantage of the free time to play outside.

The class of 1 Caring was situated on the far left of a long building, enough for three classes. Opposite their building was another building of the same structure and length, home to yet another three classes. However, these two buildings facing each other were separated by a gravel road, badly damaged and full of holes. Whenever it rained, water filled up these holes and created puddles.

Iman had been a student in that certain school for only four months. She was brilliant, a top student in the top class of the first grade, and fluent in English, having been raised in Vietnam where she entered an international kindergarten before she moved to her original country, Malaysia.

Compared to her city life in Vietnam, Kelantan was a far cry from the busy and noisy atmosphere she was used to. She moved into a small house, located deep in a kampung. For three years she had to adjust to her new lifestyle—away from the bustling environment, the luxury of having her own private driver and maid, and her best friend, Lia.

Iman was then schooled at a kindergarten which taught its students in English. Her English improved, her vocabulary lengthened and her grammar enhanced as she learned the basics. At the age of seven, Iman entered elementary school.

Here was where she got caught. For the whole of her life, she had never applied her Bahasa Melayu in her daily life. Entering the kampung school of Kelantan, where everybody spoke fluent Bahasa Melayu, Iman was unable to communicate well with her classmates, since she only knew bits and pieces of the language. Everybody considered her awkward, weird—an outcast. Nobody wanted to talk to her. They thought she was showing off when she spoke English. They envied her brilliance.

Now, its been four months.

Her classmates crouched around the puddles, poked at the water and smiled at their own reflections. The male students cupped the rainwater with both hands and splashed it on their friends. Bubbles of laughter filled the air.

Some of the girls created paper boats and approached an undisturbed puddle. They gingerly set their boats on the water. Iman watched them closely with interest as some of the paper boats sank, whereas others floated. The girls whose boats had sunk cried out in frustration.

The edge of Iman’s lips curved upwards into a small, sad smile. She always wanted to make paper boats. She wanted to see if her paper boat would float on water, or if it would sink. She wanted to know what caused the paper boat to sink and what made it float. Her questions couldn’t be answered due to one simple fact—she didn’t know how to make paper boats.

Her classmates didn’t want to teach her. When she asked, they shunned her and turned their backs on her. If she watched them make the boats, they glared at her. If she approached the puddles they occupied, they splashed her with the dirty rainwater and stained her white baju kurung uniform.

The dark-haired girl closed her eyes and leaned against the wooden door. She always felt offended by how her classmates treated her. Although some treated her nicely, they didn’t want to become friends. Every time she thought this way, Iman felt like breaking down.

Why? What was wrong with her? Why could they not accept her inability to speak Bahasa Melayu as fluently or as casually as they do? Was it erroneous of her to speak their language like a robot?

She inhaled deeply and unsteadily, before releasing her breath in an upset sigh. Her classmates laughed as tears streamed down her eyes. Iman cried without a sob, without hiding her face in her knees like everybody else did. She broke down when she knew nobody would look at her.

Suddenly, she felt a tender hand on her shoulder. Iman turned around slowly and saw one of her classmates, Baeilah, who stared back at her with a gentle smile on her face.

Janganlah nangis,” She said, her voice soft. It took a few minutes for Iman to translate her words, which meant, “Don’t cry.”

Iman was quiet for a while as she constructed her sentence in Melayu. Saya…sedih,” She murmured, “I’m sad.”

She returned her gaze to the paper boats which floated on the surface of the puddles. The science behind them was magical and mysterious, and she longed to enjoy the simple satisfaction of seeing her own paper boat float on the water. Iman felt weak with the knowledge she had no idea how to built one.

Baeilah followed her gaze. She realized what Iman was staring at, and she chuckled, “Oh, senang saja nak buat tu. Nak saya ajar ke?”

She meant, “Oh, that’s easy to make. Do you want me to teach you?”

Iman was at a loss for words. Her surprise at Baeilah’s sudden suggestion made Baeilah smile brightly. Baeilah led the dumbfounded girl to her table and took out two pieces of paper. Step by step, she taught Iman how to create a paper boat.

Terima kasih,” Iman thanked, so happy she felt like crying. She stared at the delicate paper boat in her hands, besieged with a strong emotion.

Sama-sama,” She said cheerfully, which meant a heartwarming, “You’re welcome.”

The two girls exited the class and wandered around the damaged road for a while, until they spotted an unoccupied puddle. Excited, Iman rushed up to the puddle with a large smile on her face. She lifted her kain to her ankles and crouched down.

She cupped her paper boat in her hands and lowered it down to the water. Iman had never been so focused and meticulous before—her eyes were set solely on her boat and the shiny surface of the puddle. Eventually, Iman had successfully set her boat on the water.

She and Baeilah were there for a few moments, staring at the paper boat. The water did not stir and laid perfectly still, reflecting the girls’ who watched tensely. After a few minutes, nothing happened and it took a while for them to absorb the information.

Without her realizing, a lone tear escaped Iman’s eye. It rolled off her cheek, shaped in a pristine and pure pearl of water, before it fell into the puddle. This caused small waves to echo throughout the puddle, slightly moving the paper boat from its original position.

Baeilah’s lips parted into an accomplished grin. She described Iman’s overwhelming happiness into a single cry. “Terapung lah!”

“It floats!”

ChristataAstera wrote a review...

Wow, this story is beautiful! I love the imagery and emotion used throughout, it makes it that much more sweeter. The way the children are written is realistic, which is sometimes difficult to do. The only nitpicks I have are grammatical. In the first sentence, the word 'class' sounded repetitive, and there are a couple typos littered here and there, but theses things are very minor. Overall, this is a very sweet, child-like story and I enjoyed it a lot. :)

xfabulisaa wrote a review...

Hello there! I'm here for yet another review.

"The class of 1 Caring was situated on the far left of a long building, enough for three classes. Opposite their building was another building of the same structure and length, home to yet another three classes."

By 'length', perhaps you meant height? I'm not quite sure whether you were referring to the height or length of the opposite structure, so I won't argue on this one. xD

As far as I know, isn't structure and building the same? O-o Or maybe I'm wrong here. I'm lost. xD

"Iman cried without a sob, without hiding her face in her knees like everybody else did. "

I think "sob" is misused. Isn't sob and cry the same thing?

"“Janganlah nangis,” She said, her voice soft. "

Typo there. xD

"“Saya…sedih,” She murmured, “I’m sad.”"

Another typo there. xD

"The science behind them was magical and mysterious, and she longed to enjoy the simple satisfaction of seeing her own paper boat float on the water."

Did you mean 'silence'? xD I thought it was a typo.

"Iman had never been so focused and meticulous before—her eyes were set (...)"

I find that 'meticulous' brings the same meaning as focused, therefore it is not needed.

"(...) reflecting the girls’ (...) "

I don't think the apostrophe after the 's' is needed, because it does not show any plural possessions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love this short story a lot. Honestly, your descriptions are the best. >_< Y u so pro ;_;

I especially love this one:

"It rolled off her cheek, shaped in a pristine and pure pearl of water, before it fell into the puddle. This caused small waves to echo throughout the puddle, slightly moving the paper boat from its original position."

I loved how you described the teardrop. It amazes me a lot. >_<

This story is beautiful. Your writing techniques just amaze me. The way you describe each and every detail without over-describing it blows me away. Keep up the good work! I'd love to see more.

-Lisa

Brunnera says...

Hello there! ^_^ First of all, thank you so much for your review! I'm so happy you liked it ;_; Like, you seriously have no idea how touched I am, and how you took the time to review.
In fact, yeah, 'meticulous' and 'focused' have quite the same meaning xD Thanks for pointing that out!
When I wrote 'structure', I meant that the shape, the design and all are the same. Structure has two meanings and I used one of them in the story xD yes, it means 'building' as well but in my paragraph it brings another meaning.
Well, 'science' wasn't a typo tho xD I was describing how she wondered, 'why do paper boats float?' considering paper could absorb water. The character is seven so the science was puzzling of course.
Sob means crying noisily, like wheezing and breathing heavily. Cry could be different, like tears streaming out of the eyes although a person has a pokerface on xD That's what I meant
I'm glad you enjoyed this little story! It totally made my day :)

Mon May 12, 2014 8:31 am
hitxuanni wrote a review...

HELLO MALAYSIAN! Or, I assume, Malaysian, maybe Vietnamese, I don't know.

I was born in Malaysia myself, although I was brought to Singapore at a young age. But it still makes me excited to read a story about my hometown, and and set in my hometown!

On to the story itself. It may have made me cry. Just a little.

There's just something so basic and innocent about the childish joy of seeing a little paper boat float that makes this story so unique. The realism and the level that the readers can connect to Iman really makes this short story, because everyone has probably, at one time, felt alienated, and felt that same joy when finally a kind gesture is passed your way.

Really, for an emotion so abstract, you expressed it in the most elegant, beautiful, moving way.

I can find no technical errors that previous reviewers haven't found, but I hope this review hasn't been completely useless.

In the end, I'd just like to thank you for sharing this piece so full of memory, nostalgia and raw emotion.

Brunnera says...

I'm a Malaysian xD my race is also Melayu. Nice to meet somebody from my country :3
I'm so happy you've enjoyed my short story. Thanks for reviewing! :D

Mon May 12, 2014 1:18 am
Cheetah wrote a review...

Hey Brunnera, Cheetah here to review your story!

I love this! There's curiosity, wonder, and friendship. You've even mixed culture into this, which made it all the more intriguing.

Now for the review!

The class of 1 Caring was situated on the far left of a long building, enough for three classes.

I'm lost here. Is 1 Caring the name of the class? Are there names for the other classes?
Now, its been four months.

All of the story up until now has been past tense. It's okay to make this change now, but only if you make the rest of the following story in present tense. It's up to you.
The male students cupped the rainwater with both hands and splashed it on their friends. Bubbles of laughter filled the air.

Here, I feel like it would be more natural to simply say 'boys' rather than 'male students'.

This sentence is important because it's the first time we hear this language. Taking a few minutes to translate two words seems long, though. I'd feel awkward standing there for that long, just thinking.
Iman was quiet for a while as she constructed her sentence in Melayu. “Saya…sedih,” She murmured, “I’m sad.”

Well said!
Baeilah’s lips parted into an accomplished grin. She described Iman’s overwhelming happiness into a single cry. “Terapung lah!

“It floats!”

I love that ending! :D

Italicizing the Melayu words was a good idea- it made the story seem more realistic.

Okay, now for the fun part. ;)
I think the message here is mainly wonder, friendship, and kindness. Wonder because of Iman's curiosity, kindness because of Baeilah's offering of help, and friendship because of her kindness.

Great story! Thank you for sharing and keep writing! :)

Brunnera says...

thank you for your review and criticism! :D I'm glad you enjoyed it :3

Despite the fact that you are not sure of what you're conveying, I genuinely adored this story. It was well-written, easy to read and to follow along with, and even gave me a smile at the end. I especially enjoyed and was appreciative of how you went over your history, but kept the story flowing; sometimes, I know I have trouble with explaining details from the past and transferring back to the present, but in my opinion it was done practically seamlessly in this entertaining memory.

The only thing that distracted me perhaps was why Iman did not know her Bahasa Melayu. Was it because her parents encouraged the English or because she thought she'd never use it? Was it because it was never taught to her as completely as English had? I know it was mentioned that for her entire life she never used it, but I got caught up in the "why didn't she?" and would have liked a simple sentence to answer that thought. I read over that part twice and both times had a different idea that changed my viewing of the story. The first time I thought she knew it...but was merely out of practice (though that confused me because if she was out of practice one would assume she would pick it up and be able to communicate with classmates after a time). The second time I assumed perhaps she only knew bits and pieces, but was expected to know the entirety of the language and be able to speak it fluently, which is why she was an outsider to her classmates. So, since that causes some confusion for the reader, you may want to add one simple sentence that explains why she never used Bahasa Melayu or if she ever knew the language at all.

I also caught a few grammar mistakes throughout, though (unless you want an in-depth analysis of that) those are simple fixes. Just watch out for run-on's. I was taught that fragments can be utilized during story-telling, but run-on's are never allowed. For example, the opening sentence should either be broken into two sentences or be split with a semi-colon or even "watched" could be changed to "watching" to keep it at one sentence if you like.

Other than these few things I caught, I'd say your little story is enjoyable and a darling read. I know I'm happy I decided to read it and I actually grew quite attached to your young memory self! Thanks for sharing and if you have any questions/comments/concerns you can PM me at anytime! :)

-Bright

Brunnera says...

Thank you so much! :D I'm so happy you like it :)

The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch somebody else doing it wrong, without comment.
— T. H. White