z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Clockwork

by Milanimo


The gears turn incessantly

Pausing for no one.

Not time, nor life

or death.

Each golden gear gleams

inside the clock,

a soft click click

as they move the hour dial.

The clock maker,

so lost,

so irrevocably hypnotized

finds the meaning of life in each

cuckoo,

each

ding dong

when the hour strikes.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
332 Reviews


Points: 10657
Reviews: 332

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:24 pm
Blackwood wrote a review...



Greetings... lets see...Milanimo. Nice to see you have written a poem.

I found this poem had a particularly good flow to it. I like how you ended each line and how the words moved into one another. You didn't resort to the clichéd rhyme schemes you often find but it also maintained a constant rhythm, much like a clock itself, which helped covey the poem quite well.

You were not quite constant with your punctuation and capitalization, for example

The gears turn incessantly

Pausing for no one.

End of sentence? Start of sentence? Comma? Personally I think a semicolon would work best here, as such
The gears turn incessantly;

pausing for no one.


Here you write nor and or.
Not time, nor life

or death.

Stick to either nor or or, not both here. I think that using or for both of them would be technically correct, but I know I am a hypocrite and like the word nor a little much, so I just think being consistent would work better here.

The clock maker,

so lost,

so irrevocably hypnotized

finds the meaning of life in each

I'm not sure if its just me or if you need another comma here. Maybe something to look into and get a second opinion on? Ahg, I am so terribly rusty at poetry, it has been forever. Forgive me.

Finally
move the hour dial.

Hour dial didn't work as a noun for me here, and you also used hour at the end of the poem. It didn't really work in the first instance and I got a bit confused, it was until I went back three times I realised dial was supposed to be a noun and it made sense.

Happy poetry.




User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 380
Reviews: 20

Donate
Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:54 am
mayyda wrote a review...



For a moment the title made me wonder, what is it about? but the moment i started reading The gears turn incessantly

Pausing for no one.

Not time, nor life

or death.
I just loved the concept and idea of the poem.
The Concept is nice and so is the description.
I liked the following lines:
The clock maker,

so lost,

so irrevocably hypnotized

finds the meaning of life in each

cuckoo,

each

ding dong

when the hour strikes.
The only thing i'l like to add is to put in more punctuation marks, as for a short poem or poem of this length, they add more to the meaning and power of words.




User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 380
Reviews: 20

Donate
Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:54 am
mayyda says...



For a moment the title made me wonder, what is it about? but the moment i started reading The gears turn incessantly

Pausing for no one.

Not time, nor life

or death.
I just loved the concept and idea of the poem.
The Concept is nice and so is the description.
I liked the following lines:
The clock maker,

so lost,

so irrevocably hypnotized

finds the meaning of life in each

cuckoo,

each

ding dong

when the hour strikes.
The only thing i'l like to add is to put in more punctuation marks, as for a short poem or poem of this length, they add more to the meaning and power of words.




User avatar
374 Reviews


Points: 1147
Reviews: 374

Donate
Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:26 am
tgirly wrote a review...



Instead of 'Pausing for no one.' I might put 'no thing' because you then go on to list things that the gears aren't pausing for so this would be more consistent.
It's very interesting in a confusing way that you say they're not pausing for time. Generally, the gears represent time, and it kind of leaves the reader at a loss for what the gears are supposed to represent. What else turns incessantly, pausing for nothing? Do you mean that the clock maker is caught up in his work that his work will stop for nothing and no one? That he finds the meaning of life in each relatively insignificant development of his job? I like this interpretation. I love the amount of meaning you captured in such a short poem.
"Each golden gear gleams" Love the alliteration.
There should be a comma after incessantly I think. Of course, poems are a bit looser on grammar, but if you don't have a good reason why there's not, you might want to consider it.
I love that the last line is 'when the hour strikes.' It seems so violent, like the watch maker was just sitting there, working and working and working and then he died suddenly and had done nothing but worked and hadn't even realized he'd wasted his life.
I hope this review helped.
-tgirly





Find wonder in the everyday, find everyday language to articulate it.
— Maurice Manning