Mitchell's Help Guide - Chapter 10

by Renard

Up in dat hoe!

That's not exactly the most eloquent English I have ever used, but there we are. So we're at the end of this monstrosity, I mean "masterpiece" now. And the final thing I want to talk to you about could have the danger of seeming quite insignificant.

But...

Once you've written one novel, you may obviously decide to write another one. Whether this be part of a series. GO JK ROWLING! (I promise that is the last time I will mention her.)

Or it be a standalone thing.

This is something you probably won't even know until you finish your first novel. IF you finish it.

So there are several options available to you outside of just writing one novel. And here is what they are.

Mitchell's Top Ten Post-First-Novel Options

1. Leave it well alone - it's just one book

2. Never write again - bit extreme

3. Take a well earned break from writing and come back to it later on

4. Turn it into a series - make loads of money like a certain someone (I didn't say her name!)

5. Write a specific number - like a trilogy.

6. Spin off stuff - but beware this can be kind of tacky.

7. Start multiple projects - this can be quite messy.

8. Create loads of independent novels.

9. Get yourself a nom de plume and writing something completely different.

10. Start writing in another medium... eg poetry, aritcles etc.

And that's pretty much all I can think of. You have sapped all the creative juice out of me. Well, I hope you have found this useful and it helps you make so great fucking decisions.

BOOYAH!

My job here is done. I will gloat about finishing this project in my afterword.

Love to all. Peace out.

1Weirdsituation says...

Weirdo here with a review.
I just clicked on a chapter. I thought it started here but this was very interesting. Maybe I'll understand more if I read these from the beginning.

Yeah, it might make more sense that way XD

Thu May 01, 2014 7:31 am
Snowery wrote a review...

It's the last one!! Noo!! I'm going to miss Mitchell :(

It was an interesting and informative journey and now it's coming to an end. I love that he finished with this:

Love to all. Peace out.

So there is a soft spot in that white fur ball's heart? :D

Great advice as usual, and it was actually an interesting and unexpected topic. One thing though, I did feel that 1, 8 and 9 were kind of similar. I also kind of miss Mitcho's digressions and ramblings, it made the piece more interesting and not all just facts. Great job and well done!! keep it up and happy writing!! :) :)

Silverlock

Thu May 01, 2014 4:52 am
Iggy wrote a review...

Finally, it's over *applauds and wipes away a tear* Alas, Mitchell! I shall miss you, mi amore.

Alas, what a good way to end this with. I do like that you gave us ten options to think about when eding a novel and leaving it at that. No decision making for us; you give us the stuff and say "here, you decide." Whoo!

1. Sometimes, yes. Depends on the book. If it's got a cliffhanger, you better believe those fans will hunt you down and kill you.

2. Very extreme. Don't encourage this!

3. Yes. This. You don't even have to come back to it; start on your next project. But catch some zzzs first.

4. Good idea! But it requires so muxh planning and effort and time. Not to mention unique ideas ans plot twists to keep things interested. But hey, worth a shot.

5. Also a good idea! And if you do this, then STICK THROUGH WITH IT Stupid Cassandra Clare

6. It can be. Best wait until it becomes a phenomenom before you do this. Otherwise, you'll look overconfident and narcissistic.

7. This is true, because overloading yourself will make you want to ragequit.

8. Ayee! Singles are often really good, but fair warning: you might piss the readers off. If your novel is so good that it demands another, then you better expect to write a sequel lest you be killed! (Looking at you, Stephanie Meyer. The Host deserved a sequel!)

9. What is that? XD

10. This too! Great idea. ^^

Overall, these were all good suggestions. I loved all of these chapters, as I feel that Mitchell covered newrly everything about writing a novel. His advixe was clear and well backed up the entire time, and was easy to understand. I'll be sure to follow his advice from now on; I even feel inspired to start a new novel. Maybe if I wasn't so lazy... xD

Ooh, an afterword? *looks*

~Iggy

What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god -- the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals!
— William Shakespeare