z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language

Mitchell's Help Guide - Chapter 9

by Renard


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language.

We've gabbed about the beginning and now it's time to turn our short attention spans to the end. No, I'm not ignoring the middle, but you can fill that with whatever crap you feel like. That's your business.

Heyo! I should have introduced myself first, but if y'all don't know who I am by now, then you're never going to, you non-intellectual fuckwits.

The ending is almost as important as the beginning, because you can really piss a reader off if the ending is crap.

I think the worst type of ending there is, is this one:

'And it was all a dream.' Or something along those lines. WHAT A COP OUT! How fucking annoying to work your way through an entire novel, only to discover that the writer was too lazy to be inventive at the end. How publishers let that shit go to print I do not understand, but frustrates the shit out of me beyond belief. Seriously.

Now whilst your end may not suck in that way, it is possible that in retrospect, you may not like what you've done. Which is why it's important to get the job done right the first time. JK Rowling is a classic example of this. (Who saw that coming?) As she has recently revealed that she thinks she wrote the ending of the Harry Potter series wrong and regrets pairing Ron up with Hermione. She said she doubted whether Ron and Hermione would have been a truly happy coupling and that distance was what gave her this epiphany.

So there you have it. Even the most successful writer in the world is prone to literary regret. So yes ladies and sperms. It can happen to you as well. So here are some ways to avoid this:

Mitchell's Top 5 Tips on Non-Sucky Endings

1. No people waking up from dreams

2. No typical "happy endings" - cliches are so out of date

3. An ending that deliberately hints at a sequel (stop promoting yourself, cocky little shits)*

4. Turncoat endings. eg. 1984. (grrrr, bloody Orwell)

5. A depressing ending - where nothing is solved in the novel, and you feel unhappy and wonder why you read it. eg Of Mice and Men

*JK Rowling did plan for a seven book series and you can do that! But just don't make it so obvious until you've got your publishing deal anyways.

So there you have it.

If you want some suggestions as to what your ending SHOULD be like instead then here is some advice...

"DON'T DO ANY OF WHAT I FUCKING LISTED ABOVE!"

And that about covers it.

See you for the final Chapter, and I am keeping the topic of that one a secret for now.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
301 Reviews


Points: 20262
Reviews: 301

Donate
Thu May 01, 2014 7:19 am
View Likes
Snowery wrote a review...



Hey Mitch! I mean, BiSF!! I'm back again!!

Main Points

Urgh, so true!

(stop promoting yourself, cocky little shits)*


I loved the idea of you using footnotes! Awesome and totally unique. I just feel that you should have put the footnote where it says it should be (ie: at the foot or ending). Mainly because i felt that it disrupted flow and was kind of distracting.

Otherwise as usual I thought that your advise was pretty on song! It would have been nice to have a bit more though. Most of those things are well known to avoid, so it would have been nice to see something unexpected. Overall, good stuff :) Happy writing!!

Silverlock




User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Thu May 01, 2014 4:40 am
View Likes
Iggy wrote a review...



Hey you ^^

So once again, no real nitpicks... I suppose I'll comment on my reactions to this chapter, then. ^^

I, personally, felt like the beginning with his introduction was weak. It just felt so random. Perhaps if it was in the second or third chapter it would've worked, but not here. I didn't like it. And by his introduction, I mean when he announced that if you don't know who he is, then it sucks to be you. (summed up in a nicer way)

Moving on. Comments on the listing!

1. So that means you were disappointed with Alice in Wonderland? :P I personally like some dreams that end like that. They can be a letdown, but hey, at least there isn't a chapter ending with a character dying and then the next chapter has the narrator tricking the reader and saying that the person who appeared to have died is in fact alive and it was a trick. And then, wait for it... next chapter says that the narrator lies and he's really dead. Yea, I'm looking at you, Darren Shan. YOU CRUEL PERSON.

2. Agreed. So much agreement.

3. YES. This. Also, if you say you're series is a trilogy, freaking keeep it as a trilogy! Stupid Cassandra Clare and the Shadowhunter trilogy "series". =-=

4. Some turncoat endings rock! I actually enjoyed 1984. Great book. :P he didn't have a choice anyways. The Thought Police is everywhere. The only thing I hated about that book was the fact that they had sex as a sort of defiant atrow towards the Thought Police, but I digress. Let's rant about that later.

5. I haven't read OM&M. Is this what happens? How disappointing. Though this somewhat clashes with #2 so be careful. Try to flesh this out a bit more.

And then the ending confused me? It didn't make any sense? Or am I just blonde? >_>

Anyways, off to.read the last chapter!

~Iggy





There is a difference between being poor and being broke: broke is temporary; poor is eternal.
— Robert Kiyosaki