Mitchell's Help Guide - Chapter 5

by Renard

Yo, yo, yo!

Welcome to the back passage. Ha ha. So I hope you haven't got bored of me yet, I think we are at the midpoint now, so if you have come this far, you can make it the rest of the way with me. So get ready for a bumpy ride losers. I would like to make a note before I continue this chapter; and this is to say that to any of my readers who find the language I use offensive... you can fuck off. Ha ha ha. I am not here to impress anyone with fancy language. I am here to give you cold hard facts and if you want me to tone down the colourful language then I say... no because I am not a wanker.

Now to the main point.

Why is it important to have three drafts of your work I hear you cry! Well like I say, I am not making any rules here. But I am going to start off with an example.

Firstly, the famous one: back to the JK Rowling example in which, she had to change the name she used on the front of the manuscript so that her novel would appeal to boys as well as girls. Now this is just a little thing about making significant changes. And it makes all the difference.

Now myself for example, the first novel I ever wrote (which has remained unpublished through choice, I might add) went through a hell of a lot of editing, because I was reading it back, I realised it was complete rubbish.

“You will never say things as you mean to say them the first time you say them.”

Drafting is about fiddling with meaning. And each time you write a new version of something the meaning changes. I can give you a worked example of this, using a line I played about with a lot in my first novel.

The opening line, which incidentally, I shall be talking about the importance of in another chapter. But, I am digressing, so…

1. “Neil gazed at the octopus under the stars.” This was the first draft. The first thing I wrote.

2. “Sexy Neil pondered the opportunities that awaited him and the octopus that evening.” The second draft example.

3. “Completely fixated by the eight-legged creature in front of him, the man submersed himself in the cool water, under the cold, night’s sky.” – Third and final draft.

You can witness the progression of this sentence here for yourself. Also note that the first draft line looks as though it has been written by a four year old. Not some of my greatest work, I might add.

The harsh reality about being a writer, as I have said many a time; to many people is this:

YOU WILL SPEND MORE TIME EDITING THAN YOU WILL ACTUALLY WRITING.

And, that is the way it’s supposed to be.

If you don’t like it, then hand trash to your publisher and expect never to get anywhere. The future’s bright kids.

Come back for the next Chapter on the Importance of Opening Lines.

Ciao!

Thu May 01, 2014 6:17 am
Snowery wrote a review...

Hey you! Yes you! I'm back to review!

Yo, yo, yo!

I hope that these non-derogatory insults are not permanent?

Why is it important to have three drafts of your work I hear you cry!

Uh, actually no I didn't cry. Mainly because you didn't actually mention the topic before you said this line which makes it a little weird. :)

back to the JK Rowling example in which,

I've never actually heard this before so I have no idea what you're talking about. If you could explain a little more...

which has remained unpublished through choice,

Sure it was buddy, sure it was.

Well, after about five straight chapters Mitchie still hasn't lost any shine. :) I love how he keeps his advice short and to the point and doesn't try to drag on and make them longer just to look smarter, it also makes it a much easier read. Your beginning was epic by the way XD One thing though, I did think the ending was a little too abrupt but apart from that it was great :) Keep it up and happy writing!! :) :)

Silverlock

Thu May 01, 2014 2:47 am
Iggy wrote a review...

You decided to post all the rest of Mitchell's guide, eh? xD Alright then, let's get started. *cracks knuckles*

Ha ha.

o__O He sounds like a monotone teenager reading a passage from their boring history book. And this is just really out of character for him. Where's the pizazz?

The future’s bright kids.

I would add in "looking" after future's. Also a comma after bright, so it reads "the future's looking bright, kids" and not "the future's looking bright kids" because that makes me think "bright kids? what?"

Ahaha that little note in the beginning xD Was that about my comments on the cursing? It's not that I don't like it. I do. I'm super pleased you toned it down. My point was that an abundance of it can take away from the main point of the story. But it adds to Mitchell's character and puts his own creative spin on this, yes?

Ah and the J.K Rowling example <3 you should include a little blurb somewhere that says "why yes, I did just use J.K in almost every example and why yes, I am in love with her. PROBLEM?" ^^

Moving on; I love the advice in each and every chapter I've read so far. Mitchell is awesome with giving advice while making his examples realistic and funny and sometimes vulgar, all at the same time. He's giving us lots of good points with well detailed examples and I'm liking that. ^^ I was afraid all of this was going to be unrelated bs that would make my eyes glaze over but everything so far has been sticking with me and making me think.

I'm off to read more. c:

~Iggy

Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here.
— Neil Gaiman