z

Young Writers Society



Twelfth Night: Chapter Two

by KnightTeen


With drinking healths to my niece: I'll drink to

her as long as there is a passage in my throat and

drink in Illyria: he's a coward and a coystrill

that will not drink to my niece till his brains turn

o' the toe like a parish-top.

~Sir Toby Belch~

Twelfth Night

Act One

Scene II

A man stumbled drunkenly through a door that entered into the kitchen of a great house, that once was bright but not was strewn with black in a sign of morning. He was greeted by a small, round woman clad in a dressing-gown and with a stern look of disapproval marring her otherwise decent features. Bottle in hand, he took a swig of the contents as he looked around at the décor.

“Mariah, what is my niece thinking, carrying about like she is? Her brother is dead to be sure, but mourning him thus, casting off all company and desiring no light is foolhardy.” Another swig, “She should be celebrating his life! He called out.

Mariah was quick to shush him. “By God,” she whispered, “Sir Toby you must come in earlier in the evenings, you worry your niece, my mistress so.”

Again, he drank, “She should be worrying after herself, not me.”

“You are all the family she has left, sir, she does right to worry. The drinking and the company that you keep will be your downfall and your death.”

“Just to spite you for saying that, wench, I'll make it my life's purpose to drink and to outlive all you creatures while doing it!” Before he could swill the cured liquid again Mariah relieved him of the bottle.

Ignoring his stunned shout, she quickly locked it in a nearby cabinet before tucking the key in her bosom.

“Honestly, my lord, Olivia despairs of you and that man you brought here to be her wooer.”

“What?” he questioned “She does not like Sir Andrew Auguecheek?”

“No my lord, she does not. She thinks him a fool.”

“Why, he is as good as any man in Illyria, better even!”

“And what makes you say that, my lord?”

“His salary is three-thousand pound a year.”

“Indeed?” Mariah asked coyly, pulling out two chairs at a nearby table and taking a seat in one of them. Toby took the other. “Why,” she continued, “His annual salary will all be spent in the year he has it, for it is easy to see that he is very foolish with his money.”

“And what makes you say that, wench?” Toby demanded.

“He keeps friends with you!” She cried, full of mirth. Toby grimanced.

“Whatever your grievenences against him, I say he is a perfect match for my niece!” he boasted.

“Oh?” Mariah quiried.

“Aye!” Toby cried, “Why, he is very educated in music, speaks several languages, looks very handsome, and is close to her in age. Meanwhile, that duke that pines after her is ten years her senior, being nearly thirty. In conclusion, Andrew is a much better match.”

“The man, as I have said, is a fool. He also is without any title. Olivia would never marry below her station.” Mariah said imperiously.

“He's a noblemen at least, they are not that separated.” Toby bit back. He happened to glance out the window, and what he saw there standing outside of it made his face light up in joy. “You have to but speak of the devil, and he shall appear!” he bellowed, while Mariah made to hush him.

Glancing through the window herself, Mariah did indeed behold the very man that they had been quarreling about for the past ten minutes. Being the only servant of the three, she hastened to open the door for him.

The man bounced, quiet literally bounced, through the door. It was very obvious that he, like Sir Toby, had been at the bottle for God knows how long. Mariah winced at the sight of another drunk man, and sent up a silent prayer begging that the two men together would not make enough noise to wake up the whole household.

“Why, Sir Toby Belch!” Andrew exclaimed, “How are you today, Sir Toby Belch?”

The man he had addressed rose from his seat to clasp him on the back. “Good Sir Andrew, I am as well as I was when I left you at the tavern not an hour ago!”

Andrew giggled-yes, giggled. “Oh, I am so forgetful when I have been at the wine.” He took noticed of Mariah, who, while she was a servant, she was also a lady. He gave her a short, bobbing bow. “Bless you, fair shrew.”

Mariah resisted the urge to glare at him. “And you,” she replied quietly, “kind sir. You are welcome in my lady's house.” Her tone spoke of how he was anything but welcome, but thankfully Andrew was far too drunk enough to notice.

Toby leaned over to whisper in Andrew's ear. “Address her, Andrew, address!” He shoved his arm around the thinner man's shoulders, and flashed a slight smile at Mariah, who narrowed her eyes at him.

“Who's that?” Andrew asked stupidly, glancing at Mariah again.

“My niece's chambermaid. Address, I say!” Toby hissed.

Andrew threw off Toby's arm and stepped in front of the woman. Taking her hand, he bowed over it saying, “Good Mistress Address, I would like to know you better.”

Mariah steeled herself from snapping at him. “My name is Mariah, sir.”

Andrew took this correction in stride. “Good Mistress Mariah Address-”

“No Andrew!” Toby cut him off, “I mean address her as in speak to her, assial her, woo her! Address is not her name!”

Mariah rolled her eyes, and caught sight of the nearby clock. Shaking her hand out of the sweaty palm of Sir Andrew, she curtsied to both gentlemen. “Fare you well, masters.” she said as she straightened. “I take my leave of you both.” Anyone with a brain could tell that she strongly desired to leave, as she practically ran out of the room, but Andrew Auguecheek had no brain to speak of, and Toby was drunk enough that his was half gone. They both bowed to her as she passed through the hall-door, and walked out of sight.

At her leaving, Andrew sighed pathetically and sat in the chair that she had earlier vacated. Toby, even through his stupor, noticed that the man was clearly not in the spirits he had pretended to be in when other company is present.

“What's this then?” he asked as he placed a hand on Andrews thin shoulders, “I do not remember a time when I have seen you this melancholy before.”

“Oh good Sir Toby,” Andrew cried pitifully, as he buried his head in his hands, “There are times when I think that I have no more wit or brains than those of a Christian or an ordinary man. But I do eat a great deal of beef, yet I do not think that it harms my wit.”

“Indeed?” Toby queried as he attempted not to laugh.

“Indeed.” Andrew agreed. “Which is why I have determined to go home tomorrow.”

“Why, my dear man?”

“Your niece will never see me,” he whined, “and even if she did, it is more likely that she will wed the duke who continues to woo her instead of me.”

“She'll not marry the count.” Toby replied decidedly. “She will not marry any one who is that much older than she, nor will she ever marry anyone above her station. Andrew,” he shook the man slightly, “there is still hope for you yet.”

At this statement, the young man's head popped up, and anyone with eyes could see that he was in a far better temper than he had been in mere moments ago. “Why then, I shall stay a month longer! I am a man of a strange mind, it always changes.”

“There's the ticket!” Toby bellowed, slapping Andrew on the back. “Now, let's see if we can't open some of these cupboards and toast to your decision, ay?” The fool was quick to agree.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
301 Reviews


Points: 20262
Reviews: 301

Donate
Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:50 am
Snowery wrote a review...



Hey! I'm back again! :D

Main Points

that once was bright but not was strewn with black in a sign of morning.


I found this sentence hard to understand. I had to reread it a few times, but that could be me being slow.

“She will not marry any one who is that much older than she, nor will she ever marry anyone above her station.


I wonder if you have made him say this for a certain reason? To my knowledge it's quite the opposite in historical times, you've given Sir Belch quite a strange mindset. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Overall it was an okay chapter but nothing exciting, not much actually happens besides too drunks and a maid having a conversation. I disagree with Penguin, I thought your description was adequate enough for the reader to form their own image in their mind. Keep up the great work and happy writing! :)

Silverlock




User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:30 am
Iggy wrote a review...



Hey KT! *scowls at the poem* Silly formatting issues. Check this out.

Moving on~

A man stumbled drunkenly through a door that entered into the kitchen of a great house, that once was bright but not was strewn with black in a sign of morning.


... What? I think you should revise this. I've no idea what you're trying to say. >_>

Another swig, “She should be celebrating his life! He called out.


"Swig" should't have a comma. Change it for a period. Also, you're missing end quotation marks.

“Sir Toby you must come in earlier in the evenings, you worry your niece, my mistress so.”


Comma splice.

The man bounced, quiet literally bounced,


Quite* you mean?



Pfft. Men. I was literally shaking my head the entire time. >_>

I adore you telling this story in the third person. It's flowing so smoothly, from person to person. Seeing things from the maid's perspective made me laugh. I was a bit confused, seeing as that she is Olivia's maid and not the girl from the first chapter's maid, but still it was good. Much adoration.

Seeing how much the uncle despises his daughter wedding the duke was surprising. You'd think he'd be all for it! It's funny how you have this set back in the day, when it was common for girls to marry anyone who could afford to care for them, even if was men twice their age, and yet the uncle has a mindset of how parents nowadays do. He's disgusted by her marrying someone who was ten when she was born, and is old whereas she's young. It's a bit odd for this timezone, but if you like it, keep it.

Toby telling Andrew to woo the maid was a bit odd >_> he must be really drunk if he's doing that. Well, at least they aren't the violent type of drunks and didn't, say, force her to kiss+more with Andrew. Thank the lord for that, eh? I love her sass! She's got a mouth on her xD I'm surprised they put up with it.

This is looking good. I'm off to read chapter three.

~Iggy




User avatar
896 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 896

Donate
Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:23 am
View Likes
PenguinAttack wrote a review...



Oho, back again is I!

I like how you're cutting up what is happening, and I'm glad to be having a look at the woman's house as well as the captain's, even though we are yet to meet her.

The dialogue here is all over the place. Some of it makes sense and some of it doesn't. Why is a chambermaid speaking so frankly to her mistress's family? And why does Toby just go along with it. And I think that Toby's assertions are very weak he doesn't say he knows his niece, or that her sense is bright. Andrew picks up too quickly, considering his pretense at melancholy. Some of these may be the fault of the text you work from, but basically I think that we're missing some supporting evidence for some of the action and words going on. Again some description would probably do you pretty well here.

Also see what you can do about avoiding passive sentences like "his expression of stubbornness" because it is slow moving and distracting. I trip up on it each time I reread the paragraph. "His stubborn expression" would work more smoothly and with less words, which is nice and concise.

Do you think that removing too far away from the original text would be a massive detriment? How much are you willing to change and for what reasons, I suppose I'm asking. I think that if you're bringing this to modern sensibilities with modern language, I'd like to see more of a sense of expressions and actions. Does Toby slink into the chair or slump or collapse or throw himself? I think this ties in with my hopes for more description. I like having a really good picture of what is happening and how, as I feel it rounds out the piece.

I look forward to the next chapters!

- Pen.





Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.
— Mark Twain