z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

Coffee, Grit, and my Dad's Best Shoes 4.1

by eldEr


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

I knew, the second the look in his eyes registered, that I was killing him. I couldn't quite tell if he was afraid or just hurt, or maybe both, and I blamed the dim light from the hall for my inability to read his facial features. It wasn't like I hadn't been expecting him to ask eventually, but I hadn't been expecting him to ask tonight, and he'd caught me off-guard.

I swallowed, mouth trying desperately to remember how to make words. How to explain myself to him before he started crying, because it looked like he was going to. I obviously needed to tell him that my inability to answer wasn't due to hesitancy, but I couldn't make myself say yes, because I was trying very, very hard to restrain myself from straightening out my spine and kissing him.

I finally remembered to nod, at least, and then I smiled, partially involuntary and partially because my lips needed something to do. "Absolutely." I hoped that the almost inordinate amounts of certainty in that word got rid of his fear of my not being sure, because I was definitely, irrevocably sure.

"Oh my God, Braz," he said, literally on a breath. "I swear, you just stared at me like that for an hour."

I laughed, falling back against his chest before I did kiss him, and adjusted the blanket around my shoulder. "It wasn't that long, Parker."

I felt his lips brush my hair, just roll across them before the moment of hesitancy passed and he kissed my head. My internal response to that was almost scary.

"No," he whispered. "Probably more like a few seconds. And- I swear, Braz. It'll be the best date ever. I'll cater everything to you, and just- I don't know. I have a lot of absence to make up for, y'know?" He sounded like he was stretching his voice thin. Like it might crack it was so strained, if he wasn't careful. I would've checked to see if he was crying, but I couldn't make my cheek leave the front of his shoulder.

"This isn't a guilt thing, is it?" It wasn't a safe road to travel if it was just a guilt thing. I didn't want this to be obligation. Recompense for past mistakes. Because once he made up for it, he'd be gone, and I didn't want to have to do that.

"No. No, I swear. Not a guilt thing." I heard him swallow. "I just... I don't know. I remember Michael telling me that you told your mom that I made you happy when I visited, and I remember how ridiculously amazing that felt. And I like it when you're happy so- jeez, it's not even that late and I'm already sleepy-rambling. Sorry."

I didn't know how to respond to that, so I chuckled instead and whispered, "It's endearing." I decided to believe him, though. He cared. If I focused hard enough on his tone when he said it, and not the fact that his voice wavered under that tone, I could tell.

"We should figure out a day and stuff," he said after a while.

I mulled it over for a second. "I promised Nicky that she could spend the night at my place tomorrow. Been a while since we've had the chance to hang out one-on-one. This week... I'm allowed to start school again right away as long as I stay out of P.E, and I've got a thousand things to catch up on if I'm going to graduate this year, so... next Saturday? As in the Saturday that's after tomorrow." I didn't want to think about school. I had no idea how people would react. A few of my classmates had visited the first couple weeks, but they'd stopped showing up after it was confirmed that I wasn't going to die. I couldn't even remember which ones had come.

"Okay." His lips pressed against my head again, and mine felt like they were getting warm around the edges. "Waiting until Saturday gives me prep time, and I think I'll need it."

I felt myself smiling, forcing myself to be content with the warmth of his shoulder. I refused to kiss him until he was fully awake and capable of a coherent response. "Saturday, then. I might not see much of you this week, but... yeah. Texts are an option."

"You'll probably get a buttload of them. Don't respond unless you actually want to. Or have time or whatever."

I nodded, and after that, neither of us said anything. I was pretty sure that Parker fell asleep at some point because his breathing got deeper, and I lost myself to daydreams. Daydreams that were mostly futile guesses at what he was planning, and daydreams about what would happen in the future if things worked. I was going to be optimistic about it though, because Michael was right. There was something about Parker that tied him to me, and, hopefully, tied me to him. Whatever it was had left me unsatisfied with romantic interest, and willing to try to trust him more quickly than I'd anticipated.

I must have dozed too, because all I remember about the rest of that night was that Leanne drove me home because Parker couldn't keep his eyes open, and that she never said anything about us snuggling on the chair, but she looked almost as happy as Parker did.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
332 Reviews


Points: 10657
Reviews: 332

Donate
Sat May 03, 2014 9:49 am
View Likes
Blackwood says...



I think you should put Brazil's name at the top like you did with his first perspective change because one naturally begins to read the first paragraph as Parker without it.




User avatar
1272 Reviews


Points: 89625
Reviews: 1272

Donate
Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:15 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn wrote a review...



Why is this in the green room.

So I was going to review this in full but I lied because review day= clearing out past stuff. Anyway here goes nothing.

This is an almost academic approach to love, which I appreciate and is very indicative of Braz' character. He goes through his head to sort out emotions, in contrast to Parker's physical and gut based reactions. Not sure if you've done this consciously or not, but it's an extremely subtle way to differentiate the two feelings and I like it.

You have a few awkward lines I'm pretty sure you'll catch on the reread. I mostly noticed them because I was being hyper critical of the phrasing but a lot of it is probably Braz' syntax. Be careful about a syntax particularly heavy with "that"s and like words. They choke up the prose. But the total number of sentences is, like, three.

One thing that I caught on the reread— you never actually say how happy Parker looks, so the last line of "she looked almost as happy as Parker did" is really out of place. I honestly don't mind the vast majority of this chapter being Braz' head glued to Parker's shoulder (He flops there before he can describe Parker's face), and it really allows a lot of subtle details that Braz picks up on, but when you're completely lacking anything about how happy Parker looked and only how relieved he sounded, then the last paragraph is a bit too neat of a wrap up. You probably shouldn't reference something that never happened.

And that's it. Nice work as always.

~Rosey




User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:33 pm
View Likes
Deanie says...



Heya Isha!

See? Everyone who sets out to reviews these chapters finds it so hard to review. Because they are so very good!

I never knew such suspense could come out of a single questions. Wowzee, who needs action when it comes to asking someone out? Right?

Forget me writing a review, all praise doesn't make a fair review. So I best just keep reading...

Deanie x




User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:25 pm
View Likes
Iggy wrote a review...



I AM IN AGREEMENT WITH LUCREZIA AHHH

Ahem. Quick nitpick:

Like it might crack it was so strained,


Perhaps a semicolon after "crack"?


Okay so wow this chapter. Why would I kill you? xD I am so happy that they're together and gonna go on that date, asdfghjkl. They're too cute together. I am a bit upset with Braz and his hesitation, because hello! Parker is your true love <3 but seriously, I was really upset about that.

I do think that his hesitation was explained nicely, so thanks for that xD I understand why he did, but I'm still mad. Mean old Braz >:( but at least they are going on that date and I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE IT AHHHH

Their cuddling is just too cute and I'd be as happy as Leanne was if I'd saw that xD they are just ugh. I can't even.

Post more, post more. <3




Random avatar

Points: 17243
Reviews: 328

Donate
Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:27 pm
View Likes
deleted30 says...



No nitpicks for this that I saw (I tend to get very caught up in this story and it's hard to focus on finding flaws, lol), and I already said all of my gushing compliments yesterday... so I can't leave a review. >.< What I will say is...

OH MY GOD, this story is so epic. Seriously, how is this story so good? I love it. And Braz is now rivaling Parker for my favorite character. I adore his narrative voice. <33

Okay. That's all. *slinks away quietly*





I'm officially making it my goal in life to become a roomba. I want to be little robot. I want knives taped to me. I want to be free.
— TheMulticoloredCyr