Echo

by Trina

I am an Echo. The Manson family over in Florida paid thousands, millions for me to be made. Rachel Manson is her name, my original. What’s my name you ask? Well I have been labelled many things so take your pick: echo, clone, second Rachel, fake. After all I am nobody until Rachel dies.

For as long as I can remember I have been learning, listening, imagining Rachel’s life. We write to each other, she sends her diaries so I know her deepest secrets. My whole life revolves around learning everything about Rachel so that one day I can step in and live her life for her.

Cloning has been going on for hundreds of years now. Science has got it down to a fine art. The only difference in appearance between my original and me is a spiral tattoo behind my left ear. Every echo has one, showing they are the property of the SinCorp Labs. Ironic don’t you think? They sin against God by cloning His creations and are proud of it. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t believe in all the religion crap, but one does wonder….

Cindy, my minder and teacher, tries to stop me from thinking about where I come from too hard. But I can’t help it; questions swirl around my head and demand to be answered.

Every day after my lessons, general school subjects, life lessons, and Rachel impersonations, I sit out on the swing in our backyard, drinking in the fresh weather of New Orleans. But today is different, oh yes, today is different. The original is coming. Cindy fluffs around, prepping me, quizzing me, reminding me how to act. Like I don’t know all this. Gone are my worn converse, ripped jeans and tank top. Cindy has laid out a freshly washed blue skirt and white lacy top. Yuck. But I can’t and won’t complain, even though I wish I could. Cindy is only doing her best for me.

All too soon the ring of the doorbell echo’s through the house, no pun intended, and I know, this is it, I am going to meet my original, the girl I am living for. What will she think? Do we hug? Uncertainty sends my thoughts into a swirl of turmoil as I wait patiently on the sofa, listening to the polite pleasantries Cindy and the Manson’s make in the hallway. Oh no here they come, I can do this, I tell myself.

Red hair, brown eyes, lacy top, we a mirror image, she walks in oozing confidence, followed by her multi-millionaire parents. We stare at each other, from this angle it looks like she is staring down her nose at me like I am dirt on the sole of her foot. I am. This is what this world has come to, Originals and Echo’s; people like me only exist when rich people are selfish enough not to go through the hurt of losing a loved one. Cindy is standing nervously behind them looking at me, pleading for me to behave and do what I am supposed to. It is her life on the line, these people could easily order for her to be killed for not producing a convincing echo for their perfect daughter.

“Hello Rachel.” Her eyes harden at the sound of her own voice coming out of my mouth. No response, just deathly silences as they assess me, looking at how well SinCorp did in making me a clone. “You will never take my place Rachel.” Her voice is icy and sarcastic and it pierces my heart sending ice trails through my blood. I don’t flinch; I am somebody even though I am just a replica of some prissy rich girl.

“My name is Mia”

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:15 am
luckystarz6090 wrote a review...

Hello, there. I like how the story is from the viewpoint of a clone, though I'm a little confused at the ending. I like it, but I think it needs to be cleared up a little. First of all, clarify who is saying the very last sentence. I probably shouldn't say this, but readers can sometimes be a little bit idiotic and clueless (myself included), and they just don't get your intentions like you want them to. Therefore, you need to lead us by the hand sometimes to make sure we completely understand what you want us to. Sometimes, details can be left to the readers' imaginations, but I think on an important line like that one, you need to make sure we understand. I really think that line is perhaps the most important of the whole story. Maybe have her work up the courage to say it, or stare Rachel down and say it. Maybe, she looks down as says it. How she says it is just as important, shows her character in the presence of others. Also, remember, if there's a new speaker, you need a new paragraph. That helps clear up a lot of misunderstandings made through dialogue. Sorry, I'm kind of rambling, but I hope that helps even a little. Keep writing:)

Trina says...

Wow thank you a lot!! That actually really helped!! I know exactly what to do now haha Thanks again! :D

Iggy wrote a review...

Hello there, Trina!

First, some nitpicks:

The Manson family over in Florida paid thousands, no, millions for me to be made.

I think this would flow smoother if you added in the bolded words.

We write to each other, she sends her diaries so I know her deepest secrets.

Comma splice.

All too soon the ring of the doorbell echo’s through the house,

Originals and Echo’s;

Echoes*

Red hair, brown eyes, lacy top, we a mirror image, she walks in oozing confidence, followed by her multi-millionaire parents.

A run on sentence! Break it up.

No response, just deathly silences as they assess me,

Silence* is singular.

Okay, so! I totally loved this. :) The idea of this was awesome; I loved how you told all of this from the perspective of the Echo, so we could see how she acts. You gave us enough background information to follow the story and keep up with what was going on, and this was all told so nicely. :)

The only problem was the ending. It was too abrupt. I was confused. Who is Mia? I feel like you either accidentally cut the ending or you left it as a cliffhanger for suspense, but it's too confusing for the reader to focus on the suspense of it. Add in "said ___" so we know who said that and it will make a better ending.

Overall, this is getting good! I do suggest you continue it, so consider that. But really, this was super good, so nice work. I enjoyed reading it. :D

Trina says...

Thank you soooo much Iggy!!! That's some great advice! :D
It is meant to be a short story, but I might continue it. The Echo says the last line, just saying haha, she is creating an identity for herself because she doesn't like that she is just a clone of Rachel.

OliveDreams wrote a review...

Hi Trina.

Olive here to review.

I had no idea that when I read your title, Echo, that it would be about clones! Genius. I’m excited to read this already. You’ve definitely grabbed my attention.

I think ‘I am an echo.’ should be a paragraph on it’s own. It’s powerful and completely separate to your next sentence.

Have you thought about capitalising ‘echo’? It’s a label/name for what she is so why not? Looky:

I am an Echo.

Looks cooler.

I love how this Echo has a mind of her own. She has her own likes/dislikes and I love the way she moans about Cindy. You’ve made me instantly connect with her and that’s a great quality to have in writing.

You need to go through and sort out your paragraphs. It could be split into a lot more. Especially where you have a new speaker down near the end.

Amazing ending! Erm...why is this in the short story category!? You could totally make this into a novel...a great one at that!

Would you consider it, pretty please?

Good luck!

Olive <3

Trina says...

Thanks Olive!!! :) Yeah! It does look better with a capital, i think i must have missed that as i was typing haha
Just saying, it isnt a new speaker at the end, its the Echo, maybe i need to make that clearer.
haha well this was just meant to be a short story for school assessment, i didnt really think about making it a whole story, but a few people have said that so maybe i will :)

Hello,

I found this story very intriguing, and I would love to read the rest.
I love science fiction, and this is a ver good and original story line that I hadn't even thought of before.

Trina says...

Thanks :) haha I probably need to think about writing more seeing as this was just meant to be a short story..

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:05 am
Dreamy wrote a review...

Hello there! First and foremost, welcome to YWS!!! :D

And Dreamy here to review your short. It was intriguing. It is a cliched storyline, at least in science fictions. Clones trying to have their own life and identity. What really stood out in this story, is your write up. You made a very good choice of narrating it in the first person.
And you got a very good narrating style. It was plain and open. I liked it.
In this line,

tries to stop me from thinking about where I come from, too hard

You need a comma there.

Other than that, this was good piece. And I really liked your write up. Keep up your good job!

Cheers! :D

Trina says...

Thanks Dreamy! I'm so glad you liked it! haha thanks for advice :)

He began to wonder why he had felt uneasy at all. It was like a man wondering in broad daylight why a dream had appeared so terrible to him at night.
— Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart