z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Corps of Recovery: Part 1

by Ventomology


Rudi secretly hoped his Pa’s request would be denied. No way could he live for a whole six months without his adopted father teaching him interesting ways to memorize his times tables, or go without the heroic retellings of his Pa’s life as a soldier. He moped around the house all week, staying far away from the regular courier who passed through on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Of course, when a royal eagle perched itself on Rudi’s windowsill Sunday morning, all of his hopes died. The training master would not spare a royal eagle for a rejection letter. Not unless he wanted to spite someone, and no one wanted to spite Rudi’s Pa. Rudi’s Pa was a hero.

Taking the letter downstairs, Rudi opened it and took a peek. He could read pretty well, or his Pa said he could, but half of the words were too big for Rudi to understand, and the words were all mixed up. Cringing in fear of the inevitable, he handed the letter to his Pa over breakfast and sat quietly at the table. As he picked at his food, his Pa skimmed the letter.

Pa smiled. “Looks like you’re going,” he said, picking up a knife. They were a little rusted, bought second-hand from a noble family. “I hope you make lots of friends, and remember not to let your magic get out of hand. There will be a teacher there who can help you control it until you know how to use it appropriately, got it?”

Rudi sniffled and poked his sausage. “I don’t wanna go,” he whimpered.

“Oh, come on, Rudi,” Pa said, “I know you don’t want to now, but a month from today, you’ll be having the best time of your life. You might not even want to come home!” Pa winked and stuffed ham into his mouth.

Dropping his utensils, Rudi doubted he would ever like page training. Life just couldn’t be good without Pa. He looked up to try memorizing everything about Pa. His graying brown hair, tied in a short ponytail with a navy blue bow, just like a soldier’s. His bony fingers for dramatizing war stories. His bright brown eyes that always shone as mischievous as Rudi’s own. That was the only trait they shared, he and his Pa. Rudi had stiff blonde hair that Pa made him cut every month, and Rudi wasn’t as skinny or wrinkly as his Pa. He wasn’t chubby, but he wasn’t particularly nimble with his hands either.

Sensing his son’s sadness, Peter Fluß forced a grin. “I’ll miss you Rudi,” he said, “and I’ll write you as often as I can, but just remember that I’d never do anything to you that wasn’t good for you.”

Rudi nodded solemnly. He still didn’t want to go.

But go Rudi did. The next morning, Pa saddled his horse and a pony for Rudi and packed the saddlebags with enough food and clothing for the next three days. He hoisted his son into the saddle and patted his back before leading the both of them towards Shönluft Palace, better known as the Summer Palace.

Shönluft definitely matched Rudi’s impression of a summery place. The outside was painted in pale yellow, with white frames around all the windows. All of the gardens blossomed with roses and tulips, and the low iron gates were covered in climbing vines. A line of horses and chauffeurs already circled around the front fountain, with children and parents stepping out. One boy, obviously from the Selim Empire based on his skin, had twelve horses in his train, not including the black-socked pony he rode. Twin boys from farther north stepped out of an elaborate carriage, a pair of servants hauling their luggage. Both were blond and blue-eyed, but it was obvious that the one with his hair smoothed down was the sensible one.

“We’re here,” Pa said, even though Rudi could have guessed as much. “Everyone’s going to know as soon as you introduce yourself that you’re not a noble, and I want you to know something.” He lifted Rudi to the ground and looked his son straight in the eyes, very serious. “No matter what anyone says, or what anyone does to you, even if they insult me, or you, never let your magic get the best of you. Kids might make fun of you, but you have to know that the only people you need to please are you and your teachers. Got it?”

Rudi nodded and let his Pa push him towards the front entrance. All he had with him was a sack of clothes and a sketch of him and his Pa to tack on the wall. Once they climbed all the stairs, Rudi looked back. There were two others without huge entourages. Both were girls, though the one closer to the palace had finer horses and clothes than the short one who had to ride on the same horse as her company.

Wondering who the girls were, Rudi walked into the palace, his Pa following right behind.

Almost immediately, a tall young man greeted Rudi’s pa. Rudi knew this one. He was Prince Branden, second in line for the throne, and the knight who led the invasion of Altland six years ago. He had visited once before when Rudi’s Pa retired after the war.

“And you must be Rudi,” the prince said warmly. He shook Rudi’s hand and chuckled. “You’re a fine little man, aren’t you? Got your father’s eyes.”

The way his Pa smiled was the exact same way he always did whenever someone said they looked alike, as if he'd won his hero's medal a thousand times over. “Thank you,” Mister Fluß said. “I'm lucky to have him.” He did not say where from, or how. Rudi’s Pa never explained that to anyone except Rudi, and there was no talk of it afterwards. No one needed to know that ‘Old Hero Fluß’ quit fighting because he found an orphaned baby next to its dead parents.

“He's adopted?” the prince asked, raising an eyebrow, “where from?”

“His parents asked me to care for him if they died. Old friends, you know.”

Rudi nodded for emphasis. It was a half-truth, his Pa had always said, and no one would ever try to extract more with a story like that.

Exactly as Rudi’s Pa told him, Prince Branden looked away, a depressed look in his eyes. He did not ask further. “Well, I do hope you’ll stay tonight, Mister Fluß,” the prince continued, “and we’ll take good care of Rudi while he’s here.”

With a nudge from his Pa, Rudi walked towards the other boys who had arrived first. They had gathered in the middle of the entrance hall, scuffing their shoes on the marble floors. Too shy to introduce himself, Rudi joined them in their boredom, tapping his foot anxiously. He glanced around at the room. The walls were painted pastel green, and flowers in vases decorated every available table. He wished there was carpet here, because the echoes of shoes tapping the marble grated on Rudi’s senses.

Suddenly, the one of the girls strode straight towards the tan boy from the Selim Empire. She was the richer one, and she wore dark blue trousers over her hose, and a tunic in lighter blue. Her short red hair only made her seem more boyish than her already tall, lanky frame.

“I’m Bridget of Glasserow,” she said loudly. She offered the tan boy a hand and he shook it hesitantly.

Çem, fourth prince of the Selim Empire. But your Stadten accents do not accommodate my name well. Please call me Chem.” He was obviously a year or so older than Rudi, who had turned seven half a year ago. His black hair was shiny and smoothed back in the normal style for princes.

“I’m the daughter of the Anglonian ambassador,” Bridget said, laughing, “I can certainly pronounce your name right, Jem.” She promptly moved on to the twin boys, who introduced themselves as Dieter and Reiner of Norden. Both spoke the strangest version of Stadten, sounding very posh and northern. Their words were harshly articulated, and the slang was, well, hard for Rudi to interpret.

The last girl snuck into the group, standing politely next to Rudi. She was a girl girl, very small and delicate and long-haired. She wore brown trousers, and her shirt hadn’t been tucked in, making her look strangely poor. Her hair was tied up very tightly in a crown of braids, and her eyes looked empty.

“Good day,” she said. Her accent was unfamiliar and faint, but there was something funny about how she said her vowels.

“Same to you,” Rudi said, before looking up to see Bridget staring at him. Her eyes were the most frightening shade of green.

“Your name?”

“Rudolph Fluß, but I prefer Rudi.”

Satisfied, Bridget moved to the short girl. She had to bend over to try making eye contact, and even when the short girl looked up, Rudi could tell by Bridget’s squinting that her goal went unfulfilled.

“I’m Bridget of Glasserow,” she said slowly, “what’s your name?”

“Vinnia,” the short girl said. She fidgeted and curled a stray hair around her fingers. “Of Reysa.” Then she looked straight to her feet and studied the floor. She wore ankle-height riding boots with worn brown leather and frayed laces.

A few chuckles escaped the throats of the Norden boys while Rudi tried to remember where Reysa was. It didn’t sound like a place in the Stadt, and if it was, it had to be recently conquered.

“Reysa?” the messy-haired Norden boy said. He tried to smile without looking mean, but failed. “Uh, congratulations to your family then.” His brother elbowed him and pulled him to the side for a private twins’ conversation. Vinnia rolled up her shoulders and clenched her fists in her tunic.

Then Rudi remembered. His own Pa had helped take over Reysa. It was a stretch of mountainous terrain in what used to be Altland. A spy for the Stadt had visited Rudi’s Pa on his way to the area, just so he’d have a better idea of what to expect when he got there. Apparently, that spy had gained nobility for his efforts during the invasion. Rudi glanced awkwardly at Vinnia, wondering why it was so bad to be from Reysa.

Suddenly, she hmphed and spun on her heels to show the Norden twins that she didn’t care what they said. Closing her eyes, she muttered something incomprehensible under her breath. After that, Bridget gave up on conversing with the girl and invited Rudi to talk with her and Chem. When Rudi tried to refuse, she simply dragged him over.

“So Jem,” she said, “what’s it like in the Selim Empire?”

He shrugged, still managing to look princely. “The colors are much brighter, and it smells better at home.” His lips curled into a smirk. “Our palaces are also much more elaborate. We have some of the largest domes in the world. They would make all of the churches in Altland look puny.”

“Leave it to an Easterner to be good at engineering,” Bridget laughed. “I guess you could say that the Altens stole it from you, and the rest of the world stole it from the Altens.”

“Based on the commutative property, it still means that everyone stole the domes from us.”

“That’s true. Wait, the commutative property?” Bridget eyed the prince suspiciously. “How old are you?”

He told her that he would turn nine in four months, and she answered that she was already nine. Then, both turned on Rudi, a questioning look in their eyes.

“Seven,” he grumbled, “and a half.”

Like Rudi thought they would, Bridget and Chem snorted. They turned away, snickering about how little and cute Rudi was, and how they had to be much better and smarter than him. Scowling, he looked up at the stairs.

The scowl was replaced by curiosity in a split-second, for the welcoming committee had just arrived.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
130 Reviews


Points: 2109
Reviews: 130

Donate
Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:16 pm
ScarletDreams14 wrote a review...



Hello! Scarlet here to review!


I found it interesting. I was a little confused at what was going on at first and I didn't realize he was royalty until later on. So I was slightly confused.

It's a good storyline, with a decent plot. There are no grammar issues maybe a few punctual but it's nothing serious.

I do have a few nitpicks though.


NITPICKING TIME!!!!!


Frankly in the first couple paragraphs I was confused and I didn't understand what was going on I did figure it out eventually but it was difficult.

You do have punctual issues and several run-on sentences maybe think about fixing that?



Overall it was decently interesting, on a scale from 1-10 I'd rate it a 6. Not bad.
Keep writing!

Oh and Thumbs Up!
Image

Sincerely, @ScarletDreams14; Member of Salsa Verde

Writer, Artist, Student and Reader




Ventomology says...


Thanks for the review!



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:36 am
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there! Noelle here for a Review Day review!

I'm going to be binge reviewing your novel here today, so I apologize in advance for all the notifications. :)

I like the way you snuck a description of Pa in there. Usually I find people, myself included, forcing descriptions of characters. You're just reading and all of the sudden you see "He had hair the color of the sun" or "His blue eyes were the color of the ocean". But that's not what you did. You made you descriptions have a purpose. Rudi didn't want to go away, but if he had to, he didn't want to forget what Pa looked like. That's where your descriptions came in. I think that's quite unique. It also makes reading the description more interesting. It gives it a reason to be there.

Rudi nodded and let his Pa push him towards the front entrance.

Now, I know that Rudi's father name is Pa. But when you use his name in this sense, it shouldn't be capitalized. Think about it. His name is Pa. It's like saying "Pa called his Rudi". That doesn't make sense. Just remember that Pa should only be capitalized when it's being used as a name. Otherwise keep it lowercase.

Almost immediately, a tall young man greeted Rudi’s pa.

See, this is the correct way to do it. But there are still quite a bit of instances here where you don't do that. So make sure to fix that when you go back and edit.

Wow, they're only nine years old? And Rudi is seven? Interesting. I've never read something with characters that are that young. I'm quite interested in how this'll go based on their ages. I mean, age isn't everything, but it's definitely different that they're so young.

I like how you've already started building this world in this chapter. Usually people like to wait a chapter or two to finally get into the description. But it's important to really get this out of the way in the beginning and get the ball rolling on describing the world. I mean, what good is it if the reader is reading and doesn't understand where the story is taking place? No good, that's what. So good job introducing that in the beginning. I can't wait to read on and understand more about this world and what exactly is going on with Rudi.

Onto the next chapter!

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




Ventomology says...


Hey! I noticed that you've gone through ALL of my chapters so far, which is like... whoa. So, I'm going to fix things up as they come and I probably won't reply to all of the reviews. Oh, and thank you so much for reviewing the entire thing!



User avatar
223 Reviews


Points: 282
Reviews: 223

Donate
Sun May 25, 2014 2:36 pm
Kelpies wrote a review...



Pretty cool! It takes a good book to captivate me. Yours succeeded. It's vague, yet detailed. Normal, yet Fantastical. I'm looking forward to learning more about Rudi, and to see what happens. I will read and review the following chapters. And then keep going. Keep it up, I love this story, and I hope it devolopes into a very successful book! I like how you brought in the reactions of the nobles, I wonder if Rudi will make any friends at all. Write on!




Ventomology says...


I wasn't expecting a review on chapter 1, but thanks a lot!



User avatar
394 Reviews


Points: 16710
Reviews: 394

Donate
Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:40 am
KnightTeen wrote a review...



KnightTeen here for a review on this lovely Review Day!

Rudi


I love that name! Reminds me of Ice Age 3.

Rudi sniffled and poked his sausage. “I don’t wanna go,” he whimpered.


How old is Rudi? He seems really (and I mean really young.

He looked up to try memorizing everything about Pa.


The wording here is a little awkward, in my personal opinion.

Maybe you should try:

He looked up to try to memorize everything about Pa.

I don't know. Your choice.

He was obviously a year or so older than Rudi, who had turned seven half a year ago.


Ah, there we go. Please disregard my earlier question about age.


All in all, I am very intriuged by this story. Rudi reminds me of my younger brothers, whom I love to death and beyond. He just seems so cute and innocent.

Oh, how I wish I were seven again sometimes.
But anyway, this was a really good start. I'm off to read the other chapters.

~Teen~




User avatar
229 Reviews


Points: 11589
Reviews: 229

Donate
Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:43 am
SushiSashimi333 wrote a review...



So I was flipping through the green room when I saw your piece and thought, well isn't this just up my alley! So here I am to review it, hope that it will help you ^^ Warning, I tend to be a little on the harsh side.

Style: You definitely have a unique style in the way you write. You're very blunt with what's happening, but there's something about the way you write that attracted my eye. Just from how you write you manage to give your character life. Managing to do that from the very beginning is hard, but you did it! However, your style does get in the way of some major parts writing needs.

Show and Tell: This is just one of the factors your style interrupts. You tend to tell what's happening, like making a list of events instead of showing the reader what's happening. You want the reader to actually be pulled in to your writing, in order to do this you have to show them what your writing looks like first. Just add some imagery and emotions and I'm sure you'll be okay.

Flow: The last major thing your style messes with is the flow of your story. Some of your sentences tend to run a bit long, and sometimes they may run a bit short. It's your job to decide just what you need to do in order to smooth things out. However, I can help with awkward pauses. If you think something sounds awkward, just try and read the sentence out loud and type it how you say it. It works most of the time. ^^

His graying brown hair, tied in a short ponytail with a navy blue bow, just like a soldier’s.
This sentence here is a fragment meaning it's not a complete sentence. You need to add a verb for it to be complete. What about his graying brown hair??? Check the sentences after this one too.

Back Story: Rudi's back story was really interesting and you did a great way of introducing it without going all out. Normally people use flashbacks, and from personal experience, those are always hard to handle. With the transitions and details it definitely makes it harder, but of course it's also the ideal way of showing a back story because it does the job. However, I feel like you have a pretty good grasp with the way you're doing things. You chose the harder route, but so far you're doing great.

Introductions: When you introduced all of the different characters, I felt that you made it a bit lengthy. It was a lot longer than it needed to be and it kind of lost my attention. If there is any other way, I would introduce them at different times throughout the story instead of having them all at once. This doesn't just apply to your intros though, it may happen in the future, just make sure not to make things lengthier than they need to be.

Ending: This is just my opinion, but your ending to the story seemed a bit sudden. I'm not saying your story overall was short or anything, just that you ended so suddenly. I get what you were trying to go for, the cliffhanger and all, but it was just a little too "cliffhangery". I don't know how to help you, but I think that elongating the entire story and finding a different ending place would be a great start :p

I really hope this helped you >< Keep writing!! You have an interesting story going here :D

Sushi :D




Ventomology says...


Yeah... I had a word limit, so I needed to cut it off. That was just the best place to do it.
Thanks for the tips! (Show writing is not my strong suit, so I'll be sure to work on it.)





Oh DX I hate word limits, but that certainly makes sense. Glad I could help :D



User avatar
324 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 324

Donate
Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:20 am
View Likes
Evander wrote a review...



Hi,

Very interesting story you have. I can't wait for next week.

But a few nitpicks.

staying far away from the regular courier who passed through on tuesdays and thursdays.

The things in bold should be capitalized.

he handed the letter to his pa over breakfast

In all the sentences before that you capitalize "Pa", why stop now? Also you keep doing that throughout the entire chapter, but other than that good job!

Keep on writing!

Raven,




Ventomology says...


Ack! Clearly I need to go over my capitalization rules again. Thanks!



Evander says...


:-)



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:06 am
BluesClues wrote a review...



Hi there!

So I don't have any large-scale suggestions for this at this point in the story. I think you did a good job writing your characters in that there's a nicely-established relationship between Rudi and his dad, it's easy to tell the various children apart just by who's talking, and something you did really well that a lot of writers don't--you wrote small children without making them either like ridiculously cutesy or super-obnoxious.

(I mean, not that Bridget and Chem aren't a BIT obnoxious, but not in the usual way that small child characters can be.)

You gave kids their due credit for how smart they can be, how they can interact with each other, and so on.

Also I think the backstory of this world is filled in really well without feeling too much like an information dump, because you just wove it into the description of your characters and where each one was from. Even though I don't know everything about this world or Rudi's magic yet, I don't feel lost. I have questions that eventually need to be answered in the course of the story, but I don't feel like I was plopped down in the middle of action with no explanation.

So that was really well done, which I have to compliment you on multiple times because I think in general that's something I'm really bad at.

I just have a couple nitpicks, the biggest one being this:

The way his Pa chuckled was the exact same way he always did whenever someone said they looked alike, tense and awkward. “I never told you, did I?” Mister Fluß said. “Rudi is adopted.”


See, because my best friend growing up was adopted (from Panama), and I've known a couple adopted people since then, and in my experience (and I apologize if you're adopted and your experience is different, in which case I bow to your authority) adoptive parents don't make a big deal about "oh, thanks for saying we look alike but we're actually not related."

I mean, can you think how much that could potentially hurt the child's feelings? Like, yeah, the child knows he's adopted, but the adoptive parents generally love the child just as much as if they'd borne him themselves. And seeing already the relationship between Rudi and his Pa and how extremely loving it is, it just sat wrong with me that Rudi's Pa would be awkward and tense and say, "Oh, no, he's not actually mine." It almost seems a little heartless.

I mean, I do like learning the backstory of how Pa quit being a soldier when he adopted Rudi (super sad but also really touching), I just think maybe he could just say "thank you" when the guy comments on how similar they look, and then Rudi could just be thinking about the adoption thing. I dunno, it would just feel more right to me. Could be a personal thing.

That was the biggest one. The other ones are just--when Rudi is annoyed by the sound of tapping feet in the hallway...but he's one of the ones tapping his feet. And the first time you used Pa's name was really jarring. We don't really need to know his name in the early part of the chapter, because Rudi, of course, would just call him "Pa," and Rudi is the POV character. So you can actually wait until they get to the school and there's that young guy who greets him as "Mister Fluss" (I don't have the es-set key on my keyboard and I'm too lazy to go to MS Word and copy-paste the symbol, sorry), and we'll just figure out from context that "Mister Fluss" is Rudi's dad.

Okay, that's it from me! This was a really enjoyable read. If you don't have any more of it up currently, I'll just have to see about reading more of it in the future :)

Blue




Ventomology says...


Whoa... I never thought about the adoption part. (Probably should stick to backgrounds I actually know about.) And thanks for catching my inconsistencies!



BluesClues says...


You're very welcome! It was an enjoyable read.



User avatar
191 Reviews


Points: 8890
Reviews: 191

Donate
Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:03 am
carbonCore wrote a review...



If I didn't know that ß was a sharp "s", then I would have thought that the great hero of the land was named Peter Flub. It doesn't sound very intimidating. Is this piece written for the lucrative market of people who mostly speak English but know some German? If it isn't, I would highly recommend avoiding confusing readers with strange foreign letters. Adding a link to a Wikipedia page talking about the letter doesn't really help matters, either. You are on the Internet; most of your readers have the attention span of a hamster. You're already taking valuable time out of their day, making them read your story; now you want them to read a Wikipedia article, too? Don't bet on it if you aren't Frank Herbert.

There are exceptions to this rule, of course. To mind comes Âsax, a caveswallowman from the Dwarf Fortress lore. I don't even know how to pronounce that A with the hat, but it looks foreign to me, so I try to pronounce it all foreign-like: a deep, open-throated A, and the "s" turns into a "sh" for some reason. Ashax. It sounds like a name from Black Speech, and here, the fancy typography helps me make that connection. Even if it didn't, Asax by itself is a pretty neat name. But Fluß really relies on the reader not being confused by that last character, lest the mighty Flub clan let loose their thunder in their rage.

Finally, there are a bit too many name-drops for me to get the hang of any particular country or character at this point in time. Remember: attention span of a hamster. Like a student cramming the night before the exam, your reader will likely forget any names you tell him as soon as he passes that particular paragraph. This problem is exacerbated when there are many names to deal with at once. If the reader needs to remember Altland, then talk about Altland for a couple of paragraphs. Keep hammering in that Altland is good at this and that, known for that and this, located here and there. I don't even know what the Selim Kingdom is all about at this point.

Otherwise, too early to talk about characters and plot and such. Good luck!

Your scowl,
cC




Ventomology says...


Uh... Thanks for reading through this!




This looks like a really bad episode of Green Acres.
— David Letterman