I don't even smoke

by velvetmuse

my phone rang at 3am,
you were giggling about being too high.
I grabbed my shoes and sweater,
and ran to meet you in the clouds.
But you found someone else to meet you there,
I walked home through the snow storm.

GreenLight24 wrote a review...

Hey there! GreenLight24 here to give you a review in this magnificent March review day! :D

First of all, this poem was super cool. I always love reading the short poems on this site because they always seem to have the most profound messages. I'm not sure exactly why that may be, but it's true nonetheless. Even in such a short poems, you were able to portray a wide range of emotions.

Part of what's so cool about short poems and really just poetry in general is that it lends itself very well to a wide range of interpretations. What I interpreted this poem to mean was that someone is in a relationship with someone else who doesn't necessarily value their relationship as much as they should. This is an imbalanced relationship is what it sounds like. The whole idea of the narrator being told to come up to meet their significant other in the clouds and then realizing that someone else has already come for them was reminiscent of a relationship where one partner has been unfaithful. The fact that the narrator just returns home through the snowstorm represents the tragedy that is their love for the other person. Even though their significant other has spurned their attempts to meet them in the clouds (not literally of course :3) they don't end up getting angry or fighting back. Rather, the narrator just accepts it for what it is and returns home to wait for the next time the other person calls on them. Maybe in reading into it too much, but if I am, that's a testament to your poetic talents. Great job here. I can't find much to criticize.

Happy review day and always keep writing! :D

frankmorley wrote a review...

Very enticing title! This poem reminds of the Artic Monkeys song 'why do you only call me when your high' because it seems to follow a similar story. I don't really like the idea of snowstorms at the end though, and I understand how it is a similar thing to clouds, but it could be something different which is directly in contrast or associated with clouds- like rain, or hail.

Willard wrote a review...

Hey Velvetmuse, Strange here and I have a quick review for you!
The only problem I found with this is the lack of transitions. It makes it very choppy and not that smooth. It feels like running down the steps, or that is what the main character did.
I really loved the idea and the poem overall. It really shows separation from a colleague and/or friend. How you are there for someone, yet they don't accept that. This was a new way showing that. The general theme and moral are retreaded a lot in poems, but this was different from the norm, and that I liked.
Another thing is that the title reminds of "Do you even lift?" I thought that was kind of funny.
Overall, great effort for a good product
Strange gives you...
8.9/10
Great job
Keep writing
Stay groovy, my amigo

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:23 am
TexanMorrell wrote a review...

CLASSIC EXAMPLE: LOOK, THEN LEAP

I do not review poetry. No, that's not true. I do not review poetry very well. Yeah, that sounds better. Never the less, this poem is very much like riding on a bus in the rain, looking out the window while someone gets splashed on only to say ",yeah, that happened to me."

And what's weird about that is that I Don't Even Smoke.

THE HOOK

You don't have to even know friends who smoke/drink/get smashed-out-of-their-tiny-little-minds to have experienced the three a.m. phone call.

Typically that call wakes you right before REM sleep; before countless possibilities and surreal experiences unfold into you in the safety of your own bed. Unfortunately, when you get that call, your brain can't quiet distinguish reality from dream in a timely manner to stop you from accomplishing something stupid... wonderful maybe, but mostly stupid.

THE STORY

Yes, its a poem, not a story. Poem's still tell stories. This one's a classic tragedy; a tragedy on two fronts really. First of all, in a classic tragedy no one gets what they want. Second, when weed is involved, there should be humor; but there's not.
So when there's weed, and STILL no one is having any fun, it makes for a sad night/early morning.

In the hook there is a sense that something could be different, there is an opportunity that could be grasped.
At any moment, that opportunity could be gone like a waking dream. So, like any nearly contentious human, you bolt out the door to gram that... whatever it is you think you'll get.

Tragically, despite the speed, and hopefulness in which one runs with, inevitably they wake to the cold snowy reality that some things are not necessarily high above us, but still out of reach.

THE GIST

If someone calls you at three A.M., it's still the same ass-hole that would have called any other time of the day: set phone to vibrate.
Do not answer phone.

THE CRITIQUE

It's simple, it's short, and it is tragically true for any of us who attempted to chase after something they shouldn't have.

Personally, I would have liked to see a before and after scene in this poem. Why was this guy worth running to in the first place? Will he/she get a swift kick in the face the next morning?
But expanding this piece is not necessary.

What this author has done, is accomplish an ice breaker; has this ever happened to you?

THE END

This poem was enjoyable in the cathartic, aching, all to close to home sense.

I hope this author sticks to their long ago posted wall comment 'cause "if you have to write, you sure has hell better write like your soul depends on it."

Iggy says...

Please review the Censorship Policy and avoid cursing in the future when you review! I tell you this because of the a-hole you've mentioned in your review. If the curse word isn't a quote from the story, please choose a different way to express yourself. :)

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:07 am
Iggy wrote a review...

Hi there! ^^

Okay, first thing I noticed is this poem lacks transitions. As in, words are missing to connect one line to the next. This disrupts the flow, so I suggest you find a way to fix it. An example:

I walked home through the snow storm.

Even adding something as simple as "so" in front of "I walked home" works because it establishes the link between the line before it and itself.

Other than that, this poem was really good. The message was clearly translated and was easy to understand: this person was high, and the narrator went to meet them, and instead found them with someone else. I do think you could expand on this snow storm, and show the reader exactly what it's meant to symbolize.

But overall, this poem was really good and I enjoyed reading it. :)

TexanMorrell says...

Iggy;

Just a heads up, in the event I review poetry in the future, I will most likely ask for your technical advice. DFTBA

Iggy says...

You shouldn't! Ask a poetry mod, I suck at reviewing poetry. xD

TexanMorrell says...

To late, I already posted it and everything. You'll have to at least invent some technical sounding advice when asked for it. Thanks for playing.

Your hesitation suggests you are trying to protect my feelings. However, since I have none, I would prefer you to be honest. An artist's growth depends upon accurate feedback.
— LCDR Data