z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Mature Content

Chapter 5: Three Weeks Left

by thehotinpsychotic


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and mature content.

There’s a long silence between my mom and I. She’s in her fighting stance; one knee bent, weight all shifted to one foot, hand on her hip, and lips taut. I have my own; arms crossed, eyebrows knitted, and legs tense.

Her attitude ceases to frighten me, so she switches to pleading, “Reagen, at least consider it. Please?”

“Fine,” I lie, because no way in Hell am I even going to begin to think about doing something so selfish.

My mom leaves at that, perhaps believing that she had convinced me to date him.I head off in the opposite direction, searching for Ashton.

I find him after about two minutes in the upstairs hallway. He’s smiling faintly at one of the hung up pictures. I’m mortified when I realize that it’s my school picture from fourth grade, when I had an unkempt pixie cut that was curly in awkward places, braces, and two missing teeth.

Ashton must senseme, because he abruptly turns and grins at me. “Reagen, you were such a cute kid.”

“If the term cute suddenly means mildly disgusting, then yes, I was cute,” I reply.

Ashton frowns, advising, “You really shouldn’t joke about yourself like that.”

“Oh, it’s fine. I know the girl, Reagen, personally. She doesn’t mind,” I joke.

Ashton grins humorlessly. “Why can’t you take anything seriously?”

“Why be serious?” I point out. “Seriousness comes with hardship and pain. Humor is a demeanor of carefreeness and joy.”

“Carefreeness is the seed of ignorance, and joy, denial. You can’t fool me,” Ashton retorts.

“I didn’t want to get into a political debate,” I murmur.

“Fine. Then I will present you with three choices, Ms. Bennett. Option one: Date me. Option two: Go out with me. Option three: Become my girlfriend,” Ashton offers .

“What about option four?” I question.

“Option four?” Ashton repeats.

“”None of the above!” I declare. I take Ashton’s hand, pulling him down the steps. “Now, Ashton, don’t take this personally, but…. Get out!” I push him out the door and shut it. I wait for a few moments, ear pressed against the wood. I don’t have a peephole, so this is my only assurance that he’s gone. I go to sit, but a knock on the door interrupts me. I sigh, opening the door to see Ashton standing there, hands behind his back, smiling.

“Excuse me, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?”

I can’t help but laugh, burying my face in my hands. I look at Ashton through my fingers, to see him still smirking. “Ashton, I won’t say yes.”

“I’m not leaving until you do,” Ashton replies, his smile augmenting.

I glance around desperately for some inspiration to get this boy to leave. “Don’t you have to be somewhere?”

“Well, school tomorrow, but so do you,” Ashton answers.

I stick my hip out, placing a hand on my waist. “Fine.”

Ashton jumps up and down with pleasure as I continue, “You will take me out once. You will have a dinner with my parents first; I’m a good girl. You will have me home by curfew at 11:00, and know that I will be wearing a chastity belt.”

“Could this one date lead to more?” Ashton wonders hopefully.

I decide not to cruelly destroy every molecule of faith in this boy, by lying, “Maybe.”

Ashton squeals happily, hugging me. He rubs my back, giving me one last squeeze before leaving. As he hops into his car, he waves, calling,

“See you, Reagen.”

The next day at school, I open my locker to find a card and a small teddy bear about as large as my hand. The card is pink, and in Gothic calligraphy reads, “Cordially Invited….”

I open the card to read the inside, which is handwritten in Ashton’s precise scrawl.

“Dearest Reagen,

We will be attending the waterpark this Saturday. I will pick you up at 11:00 a.m., and you will be home by 3:00. Make sure you bring a swim suit, as you will get wet!

Forever yours,

Ashton

I can’t hold back my smile. I tuck the card into my backpack, making sure it doesn’t get crumpled. I shut my locker and turn to go to class, when I see Ashton. I sneak up behind him and tap his shoulder. Ashton faces me and smiles. “Did you get the card?”

I nod, biting my lip. “I did. Thank you, that was very sweet.”

Ashton lifts his hand, cupping my jaw. He brings his thumb across my cheek, complimenting, “Anything to make a beautiful girl smile.”

I blush, and mutter, “I’m really not pretty.”

Ashton’s brows furrow, and he asks, “Oh, you don’t know? How can you not see it?”

I say, “Goodbye, Ashton”, successfully avoiding the subject.

When I get home from school, I show my mother the card and stuffed animal, and she just about cries.

“Oh Reagen, honey, I think he loves you!” my mom chokes out.

I play with the ribbon tied around the bear’s neck, thumbing the silk. “I doubt it. He just met me, after all.” I glance up at my mom, adding, “It’s a crush at best.”

My mom shrugs, patting my shoulder. “Well, call it what you want, but don’t think I can’t tell when a boy takes an interest in you. And my, has this one taken that attraction and ran with it!” She stands, leaving the room.

I sit there, reading the card over and over. It’s unreal. I never really thought I’d be going on an actual date with a guy. Granted, it’s at a cheap water park, but I think that almost makes it better. To Hell with fancy restaurants and to Hell with moonlight picnics. Let’s give it up for flimsy dates in a dirty place, because they force you to make the time memorable.

I read over the card once more. ‘Forever yours’ is how he signed it. Ashton Riley, forever mine. I’m starting to grow accustomed to that.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 17243
Reviews: 328

Donate
Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:44 am
deleted30 wrote a review...



Hi again!

I love your characters so much. <3

What can I say? I'm kind of out of compliments here, at least original ones. Everything I said in the last two chapters is still true. Good pacing, great character development, nice choice of wording, solid details/description, great dialogue. I have nothing unique to add...

Well, I guess I'll say a few things. Firstly, Ashton is so sweet ermagawd he's adorable!! <33 And Reagen's just... they complement each other really well, y'know? Well, of course you know, you wrote the story. XD But I think they really balance each other out. Reagen's such a great MC. She's sarcastic and not all submissive and boring like some YA girls are. I'm fascinated with her. And with him, too.

Gah, I'm so excited for the next chapter. :D

Let's get the dumb nitpicks out of the way, shall we?

eyebrows knitted


"Knit" works better, I think.

because no way in Hell


When you're using "hell" in an informal sense like this, you really don't need to capitalize the H.

“You really shouldn’t joke about yourself like that.”

“Oh, it’s fine. I know the girl, Reagen, personally. She doesn’t mind,” I joke.


Even though they aren't that close together, "joke" still sounds a bit repetitive. Maybe change the latter of the two for "kid" or "jest" or "tease"?

To Hell with fancy restaurants and to Hell with moonlight picnics.


Can you guess what my nitpick is here? Spoiler: the H in "hell" doesn't need to be capitalized. ;)

I guess that's all. This is such an awesome story, I love it so much. Please keep writing, yes? And posting, of course. *stares at screen in fangirling glee*

Sorry for stalking your novel. :P




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:11 pm
Rydia wrote a review...



Hello!

I haven't read the other chapters so please take anything I say with a pinch of salt. If you feel like you've covered something I'm confused about in an earlier part then you're welcome to ignore me!

Specifics

1.

I find him after about two minutes in the upstairs hallway.
This is a little bit awkward. Perhaps try 'on the upstairs landing' instead?

2.
Ashton must senseme, [I think I saw earlier where you didn't have a space after a full stop and the next word as well. Make sure you do a quick proof read to pick up these typos.] because he abruptly turns and grins at me. “Reagen, you were such a cute kid.”


3.
“”None of the above!” I declare. I take Ashton’s hand, pulling him down the steps. “Now, Ashton, don’t take this personally, but…. Get out!” I push him out the door and shut it. I wait for a few moments, ear pressed against the wood. I don’t have a peephole, so this is my only assurance that he’s gone. I go to sit, but a knock on the door interrupts me. I sigh, opening the door to see Ashton standing there, hands behind his back, smiling.
This is a bit abrupt and I feel a girl should have more difficult dragging a boy to the door, or does he go willingly? This scene just doesn't feel very real to me, not after the exchange they were having before and how everything was moving quite slowly.

4. Ashton squeals... that seems really out of character. Admittedly I've only come in on this chapter, but boys really don't squeal unless they are five years old and Ashton seems too cool and collected for that. He seems to have a really good grasp on his emotions and is pretty suave so the squealing is just weird and really knocks me out of the story.

5. How has he put the bear in her locker or is it taped to the outside? Perched on top? Details like this will help your reader to picture the scene better.

6.
Ashton lifts his hand, cupping my jaw. He brings his thumb across my cheek, complimenting, “Anything to make a beautiful girl smile.”
You do this a few times - use something like 'advising' or 'complimenting' in place of saying and it's a little awkward. It's actually quite hard to read because that kind of tag normally comes at the end of dialogue and it would be much smoother if you used saying. People are so used to reading saying or said that we skim over it and carry on reading, but when you have unusual phrasing like this, it drags us out of the story.

Overall

I'm not sure how the date is significant in the wider story, but this was pretty fun to read. I thought the dialogue exchanges were interesting and for the most part, I liked the characters. I liked Ashton better than your MC - Raegan I think was her name. But that might just be because you're writing in first person and so Raegan comes across as really self involved. That's not a bad thing, as long as you've done things to make her interesting/ likeable in other chapters. It's actually a good thing she's self involved - it adds a nice touch of realism to the story.

Best of luck!

Heather xx






Thanks!



User avatar
254 Reviews


Points: 25917
Reviews: 254

Donate
Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:50 pm
IamTraunt wrote a review...



Hey! I'm IamTruant!
This story is great. I find Ashton's longing to go out with Reagan so sweet. And some of your vocab. Pretty nifty.
Just some minor mistakes:
"him. < (You forgot a space) I head off in the opposite direction, searching for Ashton" Its only little but the obvious must be pointed out.
"Ashton must sense me," - Just need a space.
“”None of the above" should be: "'None of the above'!"
“Oh, < (Comma) Reagen, honey, I think he loves you!”
"She stands, leaving the room." Is a bit confusing, I suggest phrasing that sentence differently.

I hope you carry on with this story! I'll enjoy seeing where Reagan and Ashton's relationship takes them.






Thanks for the review!




By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach.
— Winston Churchill