z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

Remembering my Resurrection - Chapter 1 – A Taste of life

by Purple


March 18, 2014 was the day I died. It was rainy, heaviness in the air, and generally ugly looking. This year had been one of the toughest winters I had yet experienced. Whenever it snowed, it was around a foot. My dad would call me from Illinois and jokingly ask me to shovel the driveway.

The night before, I had gone out with some coworkers from the radio station I spoke for. We went down to a bar near Susan’s apartment. I had been significantly stressed that week because the new guy, Robert, basically bribed his way into his position. He always signed on as “Robbeh” as if that sounded cooler. And when off-air, he flirted with anyone of higher income than him. Now, he was my “equal”: also announcing music and generally hosting the station with me.

So, when Susan brought us to her favorite bar, I went all out. I got their oldest, nicest scotch and I’m not exactly sure how much. I didn’t blackout or anything, but I was tired. I had a bit of a drinking problem before I worked for 98.1. My dad had it worse though. When he drank, which was every day, he became aggressive and loud. He and I both could never think as clearly when drinking, and said or did some things we might not have when sober. At first, I felt normal. But then, a guy with a dirty beard and bad breath started hitting on me. I turned him down and went to dance with Susan and a couple other friends. He was looking at me for a while, but eventually left the bar. As soon as I felt lightheaded, I knew I was in trouble. I didn’t keep track of how much I had. Did that guy buy me a drink? I think so. I told my friends I was done for the night

“Oh come on” an intern, Maggie, said, “Don’t be a party pooper.”

“I’m heading home” I still told them.

“Do you want me to call a cab?” Susan asked me.

“No. No. I’m fine” I walked out.

I pushed the door open and met the humid, night air. I held my hand out to the curb, waiting for a cab. Not even at the edge of the sidewalk, I came face to face with a dark figure. The limited amount of light restricted me from seeing while they were that close to me. I definitely identified hair rubbing on my face and a foul smell. I backed up from him and said “Sorry, I need to get home”. “Sure, baby” He said. He approached me again, this time grabbing my wrists so tight that I couldn’t move. All I could concentrate on was the pain. I let out a whimper “Let me go” and he spat back at me “Shut up, slut”. My body felt electrically charged with fear. I was shaking, but I was pissed off more than afraid. I kicked him in the balls so hard that my shoe went far up into his body. He grunted loudly and let go of my wrists to hold himself. I started running home and I could feel my heart beat in my toes. I was so tired but I knew if I stopped he could catch up to me. I felt suffocated. I had to take a break. The second I stopped I could hear rapid footsteps behind me getting increasingly louder.

Panicked, I started running again. I changed my mind in going home, because I realized this guy would follow me and get me if I dared come out. My instincts kicked in and my new goal was to lose track of him. I turned down a dark alleyway and tripped on the edge of an overflowing dumpster. Suddenly, my face slammed on the ground and the whole front of me tingled in pain. I tried to use my hands to push myself up, but something sharp that I couldn’t see stabbed my hands. Half sitting up, I hesitantly touched my face. It felt horrible for my skin on both ends. My hands stung my face which felt exposed and moist. I was bleeding on most of the right side of my head and the dark shade of blood visibly masked my hands.

I turned around to see my attacker. The streetlights shone on his backside, and I watched his silhouette come closer. I gestured my hand out in desperation and said “Please” in such a quiet voice I never felt so small.

You deserve to die” He growled.

He aimed a gun I didn’t know he had at me. I heard the gun go off and I closed my eyes. As the bullet pierced the surface of my skin, every nerve in my body cried out. There was a hollow pain, deep within me, then nothing. The last thing I remember was the worn out taste of scotch in my mouth, accompanied by blood.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
308 Reviews


Points: 31200
Reviews: 308

Donate
Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:00 am
GoldFlame wrote a review...



Hey, Purple! Heads up, this review's going to be a little jumbled, in terms of praise and nitpicks.

I disagree with GreenTulip. Varied sentence structure, subtle humor--not even major factors in securing my attention. Amazing. And this is only the first chapter.

The exposition's developing beautifully. You've taken the direct approach, discussing the narrator's life, explaining her flaws, but the humor threaded through glued my eyes to the screen. You also recognized when to slow down the pace, when to speed it up: isolating fragments, accentuating details, fusing action with dialogue. Now I have to actually hunt for a mistake, peel apart the layers!

You've got a solid handle on grammar. Just the occasional mistake, all of which I'll brush below. Honestly, I think they're my only nitpicks.

March 18, 2014 was the day I died.


This isn't the first time I've seen a beginning like this. Maybe "I didn't expect to die so [insert adjective]." Just be creative, which I know you're capable of :D.

It was rainy, heaviness in the air, and generally ugly looking.


These three expressions don't fuse. They need some kind of transition. Unless..."It was rainy, humid, and generally ugly-looking." (Ugly looking should be hyphenated.) Just check that everything's consistent: adjectives with adjectives, verbs with verbs.

This year had been one of the toughest winters I had yet experienced.


A year consists of four seasons, and yet you're suggesting that it only consists of one: winter. Easy fix. Just exchange the word "year" for "winters" and cut out the "winters" after "toughest."

...didn’t blackout or anything...


"Blackout" is a noun, but "black out" is a predicate.

He was looking at me for a while, but eventually left the bar.


No comma necessary, as this doesn't qualify as a compound sentence.

“Oh come on” an intern, Maggie, said, “Don’t be a party pooper.”


Alright, quick lesson on dialogue: When a period concludes it, but the period's followed by a speaker's tag, then the period should be replaced with a comma. There needs to be punctuation. But the speaker's tag is only concluded with a comma if the dialogue after is a continuation of the previous dialogue. If it was too confusing, this might help: http://litreactor.com/columns/talk-it-out-how-to-punctuate-dialogue-in-your-prose

“No. No. I’m fine” I walked out.


"I walked out" doesn't qualify as a speaker's tag, so a period should be inserted inside the quotation mark.

...met the humid, night air.


No comma necessary, since the adjective directly relates to the one following it.

My hands stung my face which felt exposed and moist.


This came off sounding a bit awkward. A comma between "face" and "which" could clear things up.

I pushed the door open and met the humid, night air. I held my hand out to the curb, waiting for a cab. Not even at the edge of the sidewalk...


Alright, backtracking. This paragraph has a lot of action crammed into it. And it's difficult to process, it all clinging to the same frame. Breaking down the paragraph could also help increase the pace, create some tension.

Same case with the next paragraph. But I think you gave us the perfect sample of his pain. Some writers just go crazy with trying to describe pain; you handled the situation perfectly. Touched upon it and moved on. I realized it reflected the fact that the narrator had no time to reflect; she had to get up and move. Assuming she's a she? Sorry, I'm terrible at guessing genders.

Overall, fabulous. I can tell from your prose that you're a poet. Just like Edgar Allan Poe. Everything flows so naturally, so smoothly, and the pace--my goodness, can I steal it? It's so well-measured. You don't even have to try hard; you just spout stunning descriptions. I think the word I'm looking for is...wordsmith.

I didn't intend this to be brief, but the high-quality writing ensured it. It'd be a crime to criticize. Keep it up! Looking forward to more, as always!




User avatar
285 Reviews


Points: 237
Reviews: 285

Donate
Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:47 pm
GreenTulip wrote a review...



Hi, GreenTulip here to give you a review.

So this is interesting I can say at the most. I mean it is, but it wasn't interesting enough to keep my attention all the way through it, but I managed to pull through and read it. Now you're probably wondering, why did I read something that wasn't interesting enough to me? Well I did it, to give you feedback.

1. This line:

March 18, 2014 was the day I died. It was rainy, heaviness in the air, and generally ugly looking.


I feel can read like this: March 18, 2014. That was the day I died. It was accompanied by a heaviness in the air; it was rainy and generally ugly looking.
Better?

2. Your longer paragraphs can be split into separate ones. The first paragraph can be split at these two sentences:
My dad would call me from Illinois and jokingly ask me to shovel the driveway.

The night before, I had gone out with some coworkers from the radio station I spoke for.


okay, I am done with the review. I hoped this helped.




Purple says...


I'm sorry you didn't find it interesting, but I don't really agree with the sentence revision. It gives a different tone to the scene, accentuating the date and "accompanied" sounds too friendly which if you read later on is not what I was trying to accomplish. If you struggled to read through this, you didn't have to continue or comment about that. I thought it got better the further you went into it.



User avatar
129 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 129

Donate
Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:16 am
ulala8 wrote a review...



Greetings once more~ I'm going to skip the niceties and get right to reviewing.

The opening paragraph needs some work. We need something unresolved to make us want to read the rest of this. An "I died" sentence is flat and doesn't really capture the reader. However, I do believe that you should stick with the story starting with the death of your main character.

This year had been one of the toughest winters I had yet experienced.
"been" should be "had". However, I'd suggest it even be changed to "yielded".

We went down to a bar near a friend, Susan’s, apartment.

The appositive is unneeded. Omit it.

Now, he was my “equal” also announcing music and generally hosting the station with me.
Colon after "equal".

I really enjoyed your descriptiveness throughout the piece! That's probably due to the fact that you're a poet, right? Either way, it was brilliant.
However, your paragraphs are a bit long. Remember to change the paragraph when the idea changes. Also, start a new paragraph whenever someone new begins to speak.

Great job! Keep writing!




Purple says...


I think the winter sentence should stay how it is but I'm going to fix the other things you suggested. Thanks for reviewing!




Once you have people's attention, you have a greater responsibility to tell them something of value.
— Tobias Forge (Ghost B.C.)