z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Fine

by WallFlower


He drove.

Away from the past year. Away from memories. Away from her.

Her.

What would he do without her?

His grip tightened on the steering wheel until his knuckles were white.

She didn't need him. She never had. She was self-sufficient, brave, beautiful... perfect.

All by herself. Without him. She had been fine before he entered her life. She would be fine now.

A horn blared as he swerved temporarily into the lane beside him. His hands were shaking. His breath came in shudders.

With an unstable foot feathering the brakes, he pulled to the side of the highway. Tears threatening at the backs of his eyes, he stepped out of the car. Trembling fingers ran through his hair, pulling at the roots until the tears did come. And then they wouldn't stop. They tumbled down his face in a free-for-all race to his chin.

She didn't need him. She didn't need him.

Today he had proved it.

One mistake. One stupid mistake. All because he'd assumed. He'd bought the ring. It had been perfect, like her. He'd even memorized the stupid speech.

But one moment was all it took. To remind him of every reason why it would never work. One ill-timed memory. One glimpse of something he'd thought he'd buried. His past.

His glaring, wretched past. A past someone like her should never have to hear about. And that was when he'd understood.

Suddenly the best year of his life was ripped away from him. A year of dates, of awkward glances, eventually replaced by loving touches. By passionate kisses. By perfection.

And it was all for nothing.

Now the ring weighed heavy in his pocket. A reminder of what he was never destined to have. A future that was stolen from him by one too many sins.

He kicked the cement curb, wishing that the pain in his chest could be traded for physical pain. At least that he could deal with. That would pass. But this desperate ache? That would never go away. Not until he had her. And she didn't need him.

He was falling apart, and there was nothing to stop him. Every mended wound was ripping open until nothing was okay. Nothing was okay. It would never be okay again.

Back into the car. The door slammed shut, a mere echo of the pounding of his heart. He shifted into gear, determined to outrun this pain. Surely one, two, three hundred miles down the road it would fade.

Tears blurred his vision. The sweat on his palms loosened his death grip on the wheel.

A tortured groan escaped.

Why?

Horns blared again. He was going too fast. Too fast. Too fast.

He didn't even swerve.

The impact stole the breath he'd already lost. Glass shattered, and he was flying. Up, up, up. Down.

The pain was a welcome relief. His skin was being torn; he was sliding, scraping.

Brakes squealed. The pain in his heart joined in with the stinging. Everything faded to a dull hum. And yet everything was screaming.

Blackness swirled around him, as if everything he was feeling was being manifested.

Darkness closed in. Closer. Closer. Closer.

She will be fine.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 242
Reviews: 27

Donate
Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:06 pm
Bol wrote a review...



Uh, wow, like just wow.
The way you write and portray this character immediately conveys a sense of despair and loss. You can feel the sadness, it isn't some abstract thing you have to grasp at and use wild imagination to picture, you feel it. It leaps out at you and wrenches your heart out. Amazing.
Another thing I like is how when you write you use simple vocabulary yet manage to convey a thing flowery language usually fails at.
Also, I admire how you build this thing up. At first you're wondering, how is this man in this state? Why is he so depressed? Then you drop off little hints up until the part: "He'd bought the ring. It had been perfect, like her. He'd even memorized the stupid speech" That there is the bombshell. And it blew me away.
Also this, "He kicked the cement curb, wishing that the pain in his chest could be traded for physical pain. At least that he could deal with. That would pass. But this desperate ache? That would never go away. Not until he had her. And she didn't need him." I love this as I feel a lot of people can relate to it, me included. The feeling of rejection and sorrow and how what could have been a picture perfect moment was just ruined, now that is poetry right there. Like really, Questa รจ poesia. This is poetry.




WallFlower says...


Thank you so much!



User avatar
271 Reviews


Points: 414
Reviews: 271

Donate
Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:29 am
Gravity wrote a review...



This was interesting, very intriguing. I liked the situation, I loved the description of this man. He was going to propose to his girlfriend... And it looks like she said no. Poor guy. I feel bad for him.

I have one nitpick. If the dude is on the highway :

he pulled to the side of the highway


Then there is no curb.

He kicked the cement curb,


But I can see you are trying to demonstrate the MCs frustration. So try saying something like "He slammed his foot to the cement ground, not even noticing the pain that shot up his leg." Other than that, I thought this was perfect. Great job, definitely keep writing! I look forward to seeing more of your works on YWS!

-Gravity




WallFlower says...


*facepalm*

duh. Please excuse the total blonde moment (no offense to any blondes :) I know some genius ones)



User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 330
Reviews: 18

Donate
Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:57 am
cmueser wrote a review...



Wow, I enjoyed this. I have a similar story in mine. The main character was a recovering addict and his fiancee cheated on him. I love the clear way you expressed his pain. People try to turn themselves around. But I know the pain can hurt. I love the way you described the plot.
You give a strong sense of the characters motives. I can understand what he's doing, and I can feel the sadness. I know what it's like to want to give up. I like how you had the character be okay about the girl living. I really enjoyed this! I really love when emotion is put into writing!!
Good Job!! :) I'll read more of your stories soon!!




WallFlower says...


Thanks!



User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 372
Reviews: 38

Donate
Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:13 pm
Ruby68 wrote a review...



Wow, this is a really emotional piece. I enjoyed it a lot. I like how you never say exactly what happened. The reader is left with a lot of unanswered questions. These questions enhance the feeling of confusion and loss throughout the story. I like how the as he starts to go faster the sentences get shorter and choppier. If you've ever read the Magic Tree House series it reminds me, in a way, of the line in every book: "The wind started to blow. The tree house started to spin. It spun faster and faster. Then everything was still. Absolutely still." It's chaotic and fast-paced and then it goes still and gets eerily peaceful. I like how you isolated choice phrases as individual paragraphs, it really enhanced their impact. It was also a good choice to use italics to indicate his thought process instead of constantly saying "he thought..." Overall I really enjoyed it, very beautiful and well written. Good job!




WallFlower says...


Thank you!!



User avatar
166 Reviews


Points: 1135
Reviews: 166

Donate
Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:32 pm
Cheetah wrote a review...



Hello WallFlower, Cheetah here to review your piece!

Wow. Watch this make the Spotlight, because when it does people are going to see it and be amazed. This is one of the best short stories I've seen yet on this site and I'm sure it won't go unnoticed.

This piece had so much emotion in it. I could feel the man yearning for her and the sadness he felt when he realized he didn't need him. This was absolutely beautiful.

His grip tightened on the steering wheel until his knuckles were white.

The only thing I would change is changing the 'were' to 'turned' to help the story move along, but even that's debatable.

*Thumbs up*, *applause*, keep writing! :D




WallFlower says...


One of the best on this site?

*faints*

... *wakes up and faints again*

Wow! Thank you so much!!!



Cheetah says...


You're welcome! :)



Cheetah says...


And what do you know, it's on the spotlight! ;)



WallFlower says...


Darn! I missed it! :P



Cheetah says...


Aw, well take my word for it. ;)




But what about second breakfast?
— Peregrin Took