The Mentor

by emmylou1995

The Mentor

He promised that dancing breaks legs.

He said red-rumped parrots

mate with chee chilip chee chilip calls,

almost the same noise that sickly doorway hinges

moan out to passerby.

He made promises.

Canes have the heads of lions.

Gears turn counterclockwise, get rusted and burn.

Tricycles are puce colored with bloated tires.

His lips were bloated whenever he spoke words.

Products of his lungs and broken trachea.

He used to say the charcoal on the miners faces was paint,

that golden chains connected eyeglasses to coat pockets,

and all formal wear was Victorian dresses,

tailcoats and top hats.

He once said that all lights were sickly,

had a greenish glow about them and it made you wonder what

kind of Mentor he was.

He promised.

Your mango skin was impervious to words.

Bloated freckles couldn't defend your rights.

Emotions would become termites in your wooden heart.

Careful.

He is paying the price for playing god.

Inkpot wrote a review...

Such an intriguing poem.
You have some fantastic, interesting lines oging on here.
" mate with chee chilip chee chilip calls,
almost the same noise that sickly doorway hinges".
Personally, the lines above were my favorite part of the poem. The use of sound, sensation and the link to other objects enhances the piece and makes the reader more able to relate to the piece.
"Your mango skin" and "motions would become termites in your wooden heart" created obscure, powerful images in my mind.
You've crafted such a mysterous, inventive poem that I almost wish there were more of it, so I could get some sort of explanation for the strange vocabulary you have used. However, as it is, the piece is delightful and very clever. I enjoyed it a lot. Well done :)

fictional wrote a review...

This is an unusual, intriguing poem, and I've never read anything quite like this before. It made me think, and you did a marvelous job of exposing a topic that isn't used too often, but is an important one.

The metaphors and descriptions, and emotions, are marvelous - keep up the good work.

Nitpicks

You used the word "bloated" in two parts:

Consider using a synonym - it distracted me from the poem itself, but it could just be me.

Happy review day :)

Aley wrote a review...

This is a very interesting poem. I think you do something kind of unique with how you talk about mentors as these lying people who really might not be telling you the truth, or they might be. There are some images in here which are truthful, and some which are not. The more you read the poem, the more you begin to question things that the mentor is telling the child.

I feel like you need to sort of weave in more reality to this poem. Try to talk more about the actual experiences this individual is having which may or may not contradict the mentor. You've go the voice of the mentor in here, but now we need to see reality in order to actually compare what we know, with what the speaker knows and determine what reality this is in. After all, all poetry could be fantasy. There's nothing stopping it from residing in a realm that is not our own, just like there is nothing stopping books. You have some indications in here which could point to that being the case here.

moan out to passerby.

This is the first indication of our narrator's personal voice. He's not saying that the mentor says the door hinges moan, but it's his own observation. To me, this is a critical part of the poem because of this. It is one indication that what we're living in, as this narrator, is a very narrow world, made up of things that are mostly not observed. This lets us know that there is little to no way that the narrator has experienced these things he's telling us about, as his only example is this door hinge. If you can add more things that the narrator can observe which are just as close as staying inside a hallway all the time you're going to make a better picture of the poem.

The other example is "wooden heart" which is more confusing than helpful. We don't know if he's Gepetto and has actually brought these people he's mentoring to life, or if he's just being figurative and saying that they're not very 'meaty' in comparison to an experienced person. This brings questions about why the mentor is 'playing god' as our last line indicates, or if he's just trying to spice things up. Maybe he doesn't know any better. The reality of this poem is too unclear to really tell.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:00 pm
Nica wrote a review...

Great Job! I love how well you describe "The Mentor". You really do get pictures in your head. OK, down to the review. :)
This phrase here:

"almost the same noise that sickly doorway hinges

moan out to passerby."

I think that it would sound better if you said: "moan out to passersby." It gives it that plural sound that it really needs if you're going to use the verb "moan" in the singular sense.

"Canes have the heads of lions.

Tricycles are puce colored with bloated tires."

Here I think it would be better to say: "get rusted and burnt." Also, the word "puce" is spelled "puke." Typo here, perhaps? :)

On a more positive note, I really love the last line.

"Careful.

He is paying the price for playing god."

All in all, I think that this is a great piece and I can't wait to see more of your work!

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:02 am
Ningy says...

Ooo, I really love the descriptive words and the way you describe everything. I had pictures through my mind as I read everything! I like it! It DEFINITELY inspired me.

attempting foot extraction
— Mea