z

Young Writers Society


12+ Language

The Experimentalist - Chapters 1-5

by madisonmae


Ch 1

It was hard to hear anyone over the chatter of the noisy cafeteria. Heather sat to my right, endlessly narrating a blow-by-blow account of her, apparently successful, date with Jeremy. I wasn’t fully listening, but I nodded and added in a few “he didn’t”s and “really!?”s to make myself more convincing as my eyes swept the cafeteria, trying to find him.

Just then, Brandon and a few of his friends came bounding through the double doors. I rolled my eyes as they headed for our table, nearly tackling one another as they went. Seriously, football players at our school behaved like 10 year olds at a birthday party.

“And then- oh you wont believe this Jes,” she paused and giggled as she looked over the top of my head, probably spotting Brandon’s attempt to kill one of his friends as a greeting. “I’ll tell you later.”

“Hey babe.” I felt a warm and wet kiss on my left cheek, and a hand on my shoulder.

“Hi.” I turned my head to look at him, but he caught my lips instead.

Then he suddenly staggered foreword, grinning.

“Get a room.” Casey teased, who had just tried to knock Brandon over from behind. I stood up and let Brandon wrap an arm around me before things got too out of hand.

“How are you, Jes?” Casey asked, smiling his good-natured smile. He was probably Brandon’s best friend and the type of guy that could pull off an afro or dreadlocks if he really wanted to, but instead he kept his black hair short, and under control.

“I’m fine.” I said truthfully, giving him a small smile. “Where’s Olivia?”

“I don’t know, haven’t seen her.” He spun his head around a few times like a gyroscope, but his eyes fell on Heather instead, who was still sitting at the table, watching us, amused.

“Hey Heather, what’s up?” He said sitting down in my seat and taking the liberty of finishing my French fries for me.

Brandon wrapped his other arm around me, and quietly spoke into my ear. “You doing alright, Jes?”

I found one of his hands and wove my fingers through his.

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?” I forced another small smile and pressed my lips gently to our linked fingers.

“Good.” He said, kissing the side of my face again. “I’ll see you tonight then, right?”

I remembered then the party that I was supposed to go to with Heather and Chelsea. I knew there was no way of getting out of it, “But Jeremy will be there!” was Heather’s standing argument.

“Yeah, I guess.” I muttered.

“Cool.” He gave me one more kiss before releasing me and clapping Casey hard on the back.

“Later, Jes.” He called, jogging off.

I sunk back into the chair next to Heather, but her eyes lingered on the back of Casey’s black hoodie as he walked off with Brandon. Heather had liked Casey for months, but after he started dating Olivia, she decided to move on.

“Do we have to go to this party tonight?” I groaned.

“What?” Her eyes focused back on me. “Oh. Yes, we do. Why, don’t you want to go?”

“No. I’d rather just skip the whole thing.” I replied.

“Why?” She looked shocked. “Is it Brandon?”

“No. Well yes, maybe.” I said, not really sure myself.

Heather was suddenly worried, “What happened?”

“Nothing, really. He just never listens to me. Or talks to me, for that matter. I’ve never seen him get anything above a C- in a class, either.”

“So?”

“I get A’s and B’s. I don’t know. Maybe it’s time that we go our separate ways.”

Heather looked sad. She leaned over and hugged me. “Maybe, but maybe you shouldn’t decide just yet.”

I nodded. It was true. I had only realized today that something was wrong, but I couldn’t really describe it to Heather the way she wanted me to. I think it was because I didn’t really love him anymore. But, it didn’t feel different or anything. I knew that before we started dating he had never really left me alone. Finally, when he asked me out I couldn’t say no. I mean, he was a hot football player that had girls tripping over themselves when he passed. But, after about a year, he had still never sincerely said, “I love you.” And then again, neither had I. I didn’t really love him anymore. Or maybe, I never had.

“Jes?”

“Hm? Sorry.”

“No it’s okay.” She looked at me with sympathy. “Just think about it.”

“Okay.”

I looked around the cafeteria and saw that people were getting up and leaving.

“Come on.” I said. “ I have Physics next, and I’m gonna be late.”

I threw my bag over my shoulder and followed Heather out the doors. I remembered how far my History class was from the cafeteria and let out a groan.

“Better run.” Heather said. She always liked to tease me about how I was never late to classes, or I never liked to be.

She set off down the hall, her long blond hair looking like a golden sheet of water that rippled down her back as she walked. It was obvious why had Jeremy asked her out, and I wished that other guys would get over themselves and do the same. She needed a good confidence booster.

I checked the time on my phone and cursed under my breath. I started to jog off in the direction of my history class but I knew I wouldn’t make it in time. The halls were nearly empty as I broke into a sprint, not really looking where I was going I slammed into something, hard. I fell back on my back.

At first I was angry for someone to jump in my way, but then I looked up and saw who it was. It was him. The one I had been looking for in the cafeteria. He was wearing a sky blue tee shirt that matched his eyes, and he had short brown hair, but not too short. Not like most guys, who spend an hour in the morning gelling their hair, it was just the perfect length.

He knelt down next to me.

“Are, um, are you alright?” His voice was so soft and gentle. Nothing like Brandon’s demanding voice and barking laughter.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I choked out. I felt like I should apologize, but no words came.

He just nodded quietly and looked down at my bag, which (thankfully) nothing had fallen out of.

“Do you want… help?” He asked quietly, still not meeting my eyes. I found it strange, the way he was acting, but it was also sweet, like he was a completely selfless person inside and out, but I knew he couldn’t be. No one was.

“Sure.” I held out my hand, wanting an excuse to hold his, even if it was for a second. He looked up and met my brown eyes with his nervous baby blues. He swallowed and looked at my hand, then slowly took it in his. It was so gentle, like he thought I was a delicate china doll. He rose to his feet slowly, and I did too, using his hand for support. He was barely touching me, but he was strong and helped me with ease.

When I was standing I held onto his hand for a second too long, not wanting to let go, but he pulled his hand away. He was slow and soft, like he didn’t want to upset me. His eyes lingered on mine for a second, his full of wonder. Then he nodded his head once and walked off.

“Wait!” I called, forgetting all about classes and school and everything.

He turned and my heart skipped a beat as I saw his beautiful eyes once again. I wished that he wouldn’t leave so soon. It dawned on me that even though it was halfway through senior year, I had never gotten his name. I had seen him before, and of course my friends and I had always wondered who he was.

“What’s your name?” I called down the hallway.

“Cole.”

“I’m Jessica.” I smiled.

Cole turned and walked off, without a second glance. I wanted to follow him, but I remembered suddenly where I was going and I was suddenly panicked. I dashed through the halls again and flung open the door to my history class.

“Ms. Landon, how kind of you to grace us with your presence.” My science teacher was a very tough man who didn’t see my b+’s as‘acceptable grades’, and loved to throw everyone a curveball on test dates.

“I’m sorry, it won’t happen again.” I muttered.

“I’m counting on it.” He said with a wicked smile. “Take your seat.”

I frowned and sat down in an empty chair. I couldn’t stop thinking of Cole, and how he was so quiet and mysterious.

Ch 2

I shook out my wet hair and watched it fall around my face. I had soft reddish-blond ringlets that fell just to my shoulders, and the water held them together in little clumps. I untangled it with my fingers, watching the little curls spiral around my hand. I combed my bangs down too, as they fell just above my eyes in a straight, choppy line. My freckles were discreet, but lightly dusted on my nose and cheeks. I wondered if I would see Cole at the party tonight. I had half an hour before I was supposed to pick up Heather and Chelsea. I pulled on a pink skirt and a top and tried to get my thoughts together.

It was not like I hated Brandon or anything, I liked him all right. There was just no real spark between us. I didn’t have one real reason for wanting to break up with him; it was just that I had no reason to stay with him. Which, now that I thought about it, is reason enough.

I pulled up to Chelsea’s driveway, stomping on the brake with my white converse much to late. I honked the horn once and in a minute she came toppling out her door. She was in skinny jeans and heels that seemed to be too high for anyone to pull off accept her. She had short dark hair that framed her face and big hazel eyes that were always hungry for adventure and risks.

“Hi Jes.” She said climbing into the front seat of my beat-up jeep, and dropping her purse on the floor.

“Hey.” I said pulling out of her driveway.

“How does Heather like Jeremy? He always was a slow mover.”

I laughed. Chelsea dated so many guys it was hard to keep track.

“Yeah, their date went well, I think.” I tried to focus on our conversation, but my mind kept wandering back to Cole. I just wanted to get to know him better.

Chelsea began talking about who she was dating now, or who she had just broken up with, but I cut her off.

“Hey do you know that one brown-haired guy? He’s real quiet, doesn’t talk all that much.” I hesitated, “I think his name is Cole…”

“Oh, you mean Cole Hastings?”

“Yes... I think so.” I didn’t know his last name, but I just went along with it.

“Yeah you were right about him being really shy. I’ve tried to talk to him but he’s not really the kind of guy that talks a lot.”

This wasn’t great news. One of the things I hated about Brandon was how we had never really had a real conversation. Never shared our feelings or anything. I thought again about how he had acted, and decided I didn’t really care.

“Why the interest?” Chelsea asked, grinning.

I blushed. “No reason.”

We pulled up to Heather’s house and she came bursting out her door before I had even reached the driveway.

“You’re late!” She exclaimed.

“I am not!” I smiled.

She checked the clock on my dash.

“Ah, well. No time to lose.” She chuckled. I rolled my eyes, smiling.

Even though I had my friends with me, I still really did not want to go to that party tonight. I especially didn’t want to see Brandon again.

I parked along the curb and we got out to walk into the party. There was loud music everywhere and it was crowded and sweaty. We had arrived fashionably late, as we always did, so the party was already started. The crowd parted slightly as we walked through. We stopped in an empty-ish space cause Heather claimed she wanted to find Jeremy.

Suddenly there was a heavy weight on my shoulders and the strong smell of beer filled my nose. A pair of lips touched my ear.

“You look hot, babe.”

“You are drunk, babe.” I said, trying to turn around.

He laughed, a little louder than necessary, and sloshed a drink into my hand. I took a drink, then handed it gingerly to Chelsea, trying not to spill any.

“Brandon.” I said. He didn’t answer, so I grabbed his shirt and pulled him down so I could talk into his ear.

“Brandon we need to talk.” I said firmly. I knew he’d heard me, but he wasn’t really listening.

“Come on baby lets go somewhere.” Was his only response as he wound his arms tightly around my waist. I caught Casey’s eye and smiled slightly.

“No, we really just need to talk.” I protested, trying to push him away, but he was strong and it was no use.

“Hey what’s the problem?” Casey asked, putting a hand on my shoulder and pulling Brandon off me.

“Hey man!” Brandon nearly yelled. I grabbed him by the hand and dragged him out of the crowded kitchen and into a quieter room.

I stood in front of him and waited until he looked at my eyes.

“What’s up?” He asked finally, trying to grab my hand again, but I pulled away.

“This isn’t working. I’m done, and I think we should just go our separate ways.” I said finally.

Brandon laughed and pulled me close to him, breathing his breath on my face and smiling.

“You don’t mean that baby.” He said, putting a hand behind my head and kissing me roughly.

I struggled for a minute, and finally managed to shove him off.

“Damn it, Brandon!” I shouted loosing it all together. “We’re done!”

I sprinted out of the party, trying not to look back. I reached my car and shoved the keys in the ignition. Heather and Chelsea would get a ride home. I sped down the highway, fuming. I wished I had never gone to that party.

When I got home it dawned on me that I might have been too harsh. Brandon wasn’t acting any differently that he normally would have. But, then again, wasn’t that the reason I had left him?

Ch 3

I wasn’t completely sure what Brandon was going to say to me, as it was the Monday after the party. But, honestly I didn’t care. Brandon could think whatever he wanted now that he wasn’t mine. I sat in my second period class counting the minutes until it was over. I pretty much aced that class anyway.

When the bell finally rang, I grabbed my stuff and nearly ran out of the classroom. I saw Olivia go into the cafeteria before me and smiled. Casey and Olivia were the cutest couple, and both of them were so sweet.

As I approached the cafeteria doors, I paused, my hand hovering above the metal handle. I made a decision and turned away from the double doors. I climbed up the stairs in a hurry and decided that I wanted to find him. I didn’t want to deal with Brandon, Heather, Chelsea, Jeremy and everyone else today. I wanted to get away from all the drama and find Cole.

I burst outside and broke into a run, my bag bouncing around as my ankle-high converse slapped the ground in rhythm. I scanned the area outside and finally I found him, in the most obvious place possible. He was wearing loose jeans and a grey t-shirt, his hands casually in his pockets as he stood with his back to me, the wind blowing softly through his hair.

I quickly flattened out the only part of my skirt that wasn’t covered up by oversized sweater and set off across the field. I took a deep breath as I came up behind him, not wanting to scare him. I walked up slowly and stood next to him, looking off into the distance just as he was before I came along. I noticed that the wind blew my hair back gently, just as it did his.

“Mind if I join you?” I asked softly, squinting into the distance.

Cole didn’t look at all alarmed to see me. He just nodded calmly, still staring into the trees front of him. It was peaceful, with the wind in our faces and no people around. Just standing there next to him was perfect, and I wished that the moment could last forever. I smiled and folded my arms.

“It clears my mind, the silence.” Cole finally said. I looked over at him and he turned his head to finally see me. His eyes were caring and kind; full of compassion. He slowly turned his head to look foreword again. I wanted to reach out to him, but I just let the moment be. Each of us staring into the distance, soaking in the peacefulness of the world as the wind tousled my amber tendrils.

I made it to class just in time, but my mind still wandered back to Cole. I wanted to get to know him better, but I didn’t really know how. I decided that I would try inviting him to come to the movies with us on Friday. It dawned on me that Brandon would almost surely be there, which made me a little nervous, but I didn’t really care.

I laid my head down on the desk and tried to listen to our teacher’s droning voice as it echoed around the crowded room.

At the end of class, I slung my bag over my shoulder and hurried out of the room. Instead of cutting across outside, I took the long way to my next class, hoping to see Cole on the way.

I walked quickly down the hallway, searching for Cole. I stumbled down a flight of stairs and was almost to my classroom when I saw him walking away. I pushed past a couple people and ran up to him. I lunged foreword and grabbed his arm before he could get any further.

“Cole!” I panted as he turned around, surprised.

I suddenly realized I hadn’t really planned out what I was going to say. Cole caught my eyes with his beautiful ocean eyes and I instantly forgot what I was even asking.

“Yes?” He asked gently, bringing me back to my senses. He didn’t make any motion to pull his arm away, nor did he come closer to me, so I just stood there with my hand resting on his arm as I talked.

“Friday, um tomorrow, me and some friends are going to go see a movie and, ya know, get dinner and stuff.” The words fell out of my mouth in a messy jumble. Cole didn’t seem to understand what I was asking, though.

“And, uh, do you want to come with me- us?” I asked nervously, my words coming out choppy and out of place.

Cole looked startled.

“Um, okay. When should I pick you up?” He asked slowly.

“Oh-” I hadn’t realized that he would want to pick me up. I was planning on getting a ride with Heather and Chelsea.

“How about 6:00?” I suggested, knowing the movie was at 6:30.

“Okay.” He nodded uneasily.

“Uh,” I shuffled through my bag hurriedly and pulled out a notebook and a pen. “Here’s my address.”

I scribbled it on a piece of paper, ripped it out, and handed it to him. He folded the paper carefully and smiled, lighting up his face and stunning me.

“See you then?”

I nodded.

He turned then, and walked away as I stood watching him leave.

Ch 4

It was the end of the school day on Friday and I wasted no time jumping in my car and driving quickly home. I shook my hair out of its bun and blow-dried it so that it hung in long beachy waves. I examined my outfit in the mirror. I had on white lacy shorts, and a sky blue collared shirt with the sleeves rolled up. I put on a thin leather belt and a short silver charm necklace. I watched the minutes tick by as I sat on my bed, too excited to do anything else.

At 5:50 there was a faint knock on the door. I scrambled off bed and clumsily grabbed a purse and some shoes. I shoved my feet into my converse as I hurtled down the stairs.

I saw my mother in her apron smiling and shaking Cole’s hand. I could see that Cole had passed the mother test by the way she was talking. He was such a likeable kind of guy, compared to Brandon my mother probably thought he was some kind of saint.

“Jessica?” She asked turning to see me walking toward the door. “Your, um, friend is here.” She said with a wink, mouthing “he’s cute” behind the door.

“Thanks, bye Mom.” I said hurriedly before she could embarrass me any further in front of Cole.

“Bye sweetie! Don’t stay out too late.” She called as I closed the door behind me.

“Find the house okay?” I asked as we walked down the steps and to his car. He has a big forest-green jeep with a couple dents on the side, but still in fairly good condition.

“Yeah.” He said, opening my door for me.

I climbed in and he shut the door gently behind me. It was a gesture that he seemed to do automatically; something that Brandon never would have dreamed of doing.

Cole slid into the driver’s seat. He was wearing a blue hoodie, one that matched his eyes and made them look (if possible) even bluer. He glanced down to see if I was buckled and then started the car.

“So,” Cole began as we pulled out of my neighborhood, “where am I going?”

“Oh, you know that theatre in downtown across from that really old gas station?” I continued to describe the theatre, and the movies that we were going to see, and all of my friends that he would be meeting. Cole didn’t talk very much, but he listened to every word that I spoke and nodded along. He asked a few short questions, but he seemed to like listening to me talk more than saying anything himself.

We finally reached the movie theatre. Cole circled the block a few times before finding a good parking spot. He climbed out of the car and was over by my door before I could even reach the handle. I took his hand and let him help me out of his big car.

“Hey, there they are!” I spotted Heather, Chelsea, Casey, Olivia, and a few other people walking down the sidewalk. Brandon wasn’t in the mix. Maybe he wasn’t really feeling up for a movie.

I walked back to meet them, and Cole walked about a foot behind me, and off to my right; the side closest to the street. Heather waved and called “Hey Jes!” as we approached the crowd.

Chelsea was talking to her boyfriend, Austin, but Heather came forward and hugged me.

“How the hell did you get to be friends with him?” She whispered as she hugged me, sounding impressed. We had always seen Cole at school, but we were too scared to go and talk to him.

I pulled back and shrugged. Heather’s eyes were locked on Cole, who was talking with Casey and Olivia.

“Damn.” She breathed.

“Hey, stay off.” I warned, grinning.

“I know, I know.” Heather replied moodily.

“Should we get going?” Chelsea asked loudly. “We don’t want to miss the movie.”

We all began walking toward the theatre. I walked in the back of the crowd with Cole walking very close by my side. Suddenly I stumbled a bit, Cole caught my arm and I looked down at my feet to see my shoe untied. Heather hesitated for a moment, but I called for her to keep walking, we would catch up. She and the rest of them kept walking and turned left, out of sight.

“Sorry.” I muttered. Cole still stood over me, his eyes scanning the streets.

My fingers fumbled with the laces but I finally got them into a sloppy bow. I began to stand up, but Cole put his hand on the small of my back. I stopped. His eyes were zipping around the streets frantically, continuously flicking to an alleyway on our left.

“Jessica.” He said very softly, so only I could hear him. “Run.”

“What?” I asked, straightening up.

Then before I could even look over my shoulder something slammed into me with full force. A hand was clapped tightly over my mouth and someone drug me into the alley that Cole had been eyeing earlier. I felt my body slam into a brick wall behind me and I let out a panicked cry. I heard someone shout “On your knees!” at Cole and I whimpered.

A strong arm pinned me to the wall and the hand was removed from my mouth. I tried to scream, but no sound came out. I felt a sudden cold blade against my neck. My breathing came out in ragged pants. My hands shook uncontrollably, but I fumbled for my purse and clutched it until my knuckles turned white.

I stared around, and saw two other guys pushing Cole around. My nails clawed at the wall, I needed to help him. In my movement the blade pressed closer to my neck.

“Now.” Said a gruff voice. “We can do this the easy way, or the hard way.”

I looked at the person in front of me and saw a huge man who was probably double my size. He smelled heavily of smoke and grime. I said nothing, but stared into his eyes. Beads of sweat rolled down my forehead and I tried to keep my breathing calm.

“Your purse.” Another man came up behind him and held out a hand. The weight of the first man’s arm on my chest was almost crushing me. My hands shook violently as I fumbled around, trying to unhook my purse from my shoulder.

Just then Cole was slammed against the wall next to me. His lip was bleeding, but he looked surprisingly calm. I looked over at him, but he stared forward at the two men who were watching him closely.

The man who was pinning me down shook me violently.

“Hey.” He said as I turned back to him. “Your boyfriend’s been giving us some trouble.” He pressed his knife into my neck and I felt blood begin to trickle down my collarbone. “Let him be the only one.”

I felt a soft touch on my hand. Something cold was pressed against my palm, and I curled my fingers around the metal. I recognized it as Cole’s car keys.

Cole was thrown forward on his knees. One man pulled out a gun and clicked it. He pointed it directly at Cole’s head.

“Put your hands behind your head.” Another man snarled. How many were there? Four? Five.

One walked forward and punched Cole hard in the face. He coughed and spit blood from his mouth.

“I’m not asking again buttercup.” The man said harshly, breathing his foul breath in my face. He leaned foreword so his mouth was barely touching my ear. “And,” he chuckled. “I can kill you.”

“Jes!” Cole barked. I swung the keys upward, slicing the man’s face and cutting his eye badly. He began cursing and threw the knife at me. I rolled out of the way, clinging to my purse.

I heard a gunshot and saw Cole wrestling two men at once, one firing a gun close to Cole’s head. I sunk to my knees, staring at the scene in front of me. There were three men all tackling Cole, and another who was sporting a very bad wound on his face. I realized in a shock that I had done that. Where his right eye may have been was a huge bloody mess. I looked at my hands, and the blood-covered car keys that I was holding. A foot suddenly slammed into my chest and I was thrown hard against the ground.

I heard the click of a gun and when I looked up, I was staring straight down the barrel of a black handgun, pointed directly at my face. A hand closed around my purse and tried to rip it from my grasp. I thought about my cell phone, my social security card, my car keys, all my money. I held onto my purse like it was all I had, which, in that moment, it was.

The gun came down on my head and I felt the cool circle pressed against my forehead. I froze. There was nothing I could do. If I screamed, he would shoot me for sure.

“Easy,” He moved his finger to grip the trigger. I felt tears spilling down my face.

Suddenly the man’s eyes widened and his mouth fell open. His body went limp and he fell on top of me. I squirmed out from under the tremendous weight of the man and stood up. I saw a knife poking out from his back. My hands shook as I reached down and yanked the knife out from his back. I stood in a fighting stance, my knife at the ready.

Cole actually looked like he was doing fine, though. He kicked a man hard and he fell over onto his chest. He grabbed the man’s arm and twisted it around. I heard a cry escape the man’s lips. Then Cole gave the arm a hard kick at the elbow. I heard a crack and watched in horror, as his arm fell limp next to his head. Another man jumped on Cole’s back and wrapped his arms around his neck, trying to strangle him. Cole ran backward and slammed into the wall. I watched the man’s head bounce off the brick and he loosened his grip long enough for Cole to slide out of the man’s grasp. Someone aimed a kick at him from behind, but he dodged it by rolling out of the way. He kicked the man hard in the knee and I watched it buckle, the wrong way, as he fell to the ground with a cry of pain. Cole put one foot on the man’s chest and shoved his elbow into the other man’s stomach.

Movement to my right caught my eye and I saw the man with the broken arm standing with a gun. He was waiting for a clear shot at Cole. I looked at him fighting with the others and knew I had to do something. The man lifted the gun, aimed it, and moved his finger over the trigger. I ran at him and flung myself at the man. He fell over, surprised, but recovered quickly. He grabbed me around the neck and threw me off him. He put one knee on my throat so I couldn’t breathe or speak.

He put the gun right between my eyes and smiled evilly.

“Buh-bye sunshine.”

I screamed as my hand knocked the gun away from my face. I heard it go off louder than a firework next to my head, just inches away from killing me.

I scrambled out from under the man; using all the strength I could muster. I ran as fast as I could, but a tall wire fence blocked my path.

“Climb it and I’ll shoot.”

Shit.

I stood shakily a few feet away from the fence. I raised my hands slowly and touched my fingertips to the back of my head. I turned around deliberately to face the man with the gun. I saw a bloodstained Cole quietly approaching the man from behind. But suddenly, the man whipped around and pointed the gun at Cole instead.He motioned for him to go and stand next to me. I gave Cole a worried look, but he returned it with a reassured one.

He moved himself in between the gun and me. He put his arms out a little from his sides so I couldn’t come out from behind him. I moved forward and put one of my hands on Cole’s back. I leaned my head into his shoulder and let the tears I had forgotten I was crying roll down my face and onto his shoulder. He felt strong beneath my fingers

“Left pocket. Get my wallet. Give him your purse and my wallet. Slowly.” He said this so quietly I could barely make out what he was saying. His lips didn’t move, but stayed relaxed in a thin line.

I moved my hand down his back and found his pocket. I reached into it and got his wallet. It was thin, but probably had something valuable in it. I pulled it out slowly and silently.

“Okay.” Cole said loudly as I unslung my purse and began to move toward the man. “Jessica, move out of the way.” He whispered out of the corner of his mouth.

“You win.” Cole announced.

I moved slowly to the left, but still toward the man. It worked. The man lowered his gun a little bit and moved forward. The man walked forward and held out his hand. He was so close to touching me, just inches away.

Out of nowhere Cole sprinted at the man head, bent down and arms raised. The man fired two bullets before he was tackled and fell onto the ground hard. Cole wrenched the gun from his hand and fired it twice at the man’s knee and shoulder.

He tucked the gun into his belt loop and put one hand gently on my elbow. He guided me out the alleyway and we walked down the street. It was a chilly night, but that wasn’t the reason that I was shaking violently and staring blankly off into space.

We reached Cole’s car and I realized that his keys were still clutched tightly in my fist. I opened my hand and he gingerly took the keys. He unlocked the door and lifted me into the passenger seat. He closed the door behind me and walked around the car to the driver’s side. Before Cole got in the car, he pulled off his blue hoodie to reveal a white t-shirt clinging tightly to his chest with sweat.

He climbed in the car and tenderly slipped his sweatshirt over my head. I pulled my arms through the sleeves and drew my knees to my chest and hugged them.

“Are you okay?” He asked, more as a rhetorical question to bring me back to my senses.

At his voice I turned my head to see his face. He had a few cuts on his cheek and arms, but for the most part he looked okay. I moved my hand away from my knees and found his hand. I slipped mine into his, not caring that I was sill shaking uncontrollably.

“Cole?” I whispered, trying to find my voice.

“Yes?” He asked, holding my hand tighter.

“Don’t ever leave me. Okay?”

“Okay.”

Ch 5

“Stay here.”

I nodded. I decided that I would stay sitting at this table like he wanted, but I would not let Cole out of my sight.

I watched him go up to the counter and order a large drink. The woman gave him a cup and he gave her some change. He walked over to the soft drink dispenser and filled it up with coke.

He came back over to the table and set it down in front of me, pushing a straw in through the lid.

“Drink this.” He said, sliding the cup in my direction. I leaned forward and sipped.

“I’m sorry you had to see that.” He muttered, looking down at his clasped hands.

I stared around the fast food restaurant. The room had stopped spinning like it had when we first walked in, and I wasn’t shaking as much. Every once in a while I would shiver a little, but that was pretty much all. I guessed that Cole was right about the sugar in the soda helping the shock.

“How did you… do that?” I asked slowly as my mind began to clear.

“Do what?” Cole asked, knowing exactly what I meant.

“Like, fight them off like that. And why did you? I mean, any normal person would have just handed over their money and went about their business.”

Cole gritted his teeth and looked out the window. He must have been waiting for me to ask those questions.

“Let’s just say, I’m not.”

“Not what?”

Cole turned his head and met my eyes.

“Any normal person.” He finished.

I decided not to question him any further. I leaned forward and sipped some more of the coke. But, the curiosity was still clawing at my mind.

“How did you know?” I blurted out, before I could stop myself. “How did you know they were coming?”

Cole sighed and put his elbows on the table. He ran his fingers through his hair and slowly looked up.

“You want to know the whole story?” He asked.

I nodded.

“Okay. I never knew my father, and my mother died when I was very young. So I barely remember her anyway. I have been living with my grandfather for as long as I can remember. He was a cop, retired now, but when he was part of the police force, he was the best they had. Growing up with him meant that he’d teach me everything he knew. I learned the ways of the streets, how to protect myself, and what to look for. You’re right that in a normal situation I would have probably just gave them the few dollars that I kept in my old beat-up wallet.”

“Then why didn’t you?” I asked.

Cole looked away and sighed. Then, after a minute, he fished his wallet out of his pocket and gave it to me. I took it and opened it carefully. A picture of a woman was in the pocket, along with a couple dollar bills and some change. I took out the picture and held it in my hands. She was laughing, showing her perfect teeth and smiling eyes, startlingly blue. Her hair was long, brown and wavy, and it fell below her shoulders. She had Cole’s nose too, and face.

“Your mother?” I asked, looking up at him.

He nodded, still staring at his hands in his lap.

“That’s my only photo of her.” Cole said, looking up. I slid the photo back into the wallet and handed it back to him.

“Tell me about you.” He said, putting his wallet back into his pocket.

“I’m pretty normal, ya know not much to tell really.” I said, feeling lame next to Mr. highly-trained-ex-cop guy.

When Cole still stared at me expectantly, I sighed and began.

“I live with my mother, father, and little sister, Macy. Well, her real names Macayla, but we all just call her Macy. My dad’s an Architect and he has his own business and stuff. My mom is just a stay-at-home mom.”

Cole nodded along to every word I said. It was so much different to be listened to so carefully, when Brandon never would have done that. He couldn’t even remember my little sister’s name if I’d asked him.

“I like your mother, she’s very nice.” Cole said, offhandedly.

“Yeah, well I think she likes you too.” I said, taking another drink of coke. “It usually takes her a while to warm up to people, but she seemed to like you a lot.”

“How old is your grandfather?” I asked, changing the subject.

“He’s seventy-three.” Cole answered.

“I want to meet him.”

“You do?” Cole looked surprised. “Alright, if you say so.”

“Hey, we should probably get going. My mom might worry.” I said, checking the time on my phone, which read 9:48. My curfew was midnight, but I was tired and I feared that I might fall asleep here at the table.

“Okay, let’s go.” He said standing up. He helped me out of my chair and we walked to the car, me holding onto his arm partially for support and partially just to be close to him.

He helped me climb into my seat, then went around and got into the driver’s side. He started up the engine and began pulling out of the fast food place. My eyelids began to get heavy, but I started and woke back up. I hugged my knees to my chest again and laid my head on the window. I looked sideways and saw Cole take his right hand off the wheel. I moved my fingers over to his hand and slid them into his.

I watched the cars zip by in a blur. The world around me spun so fast and I felt like I was trapped in time. I was so thankful for Cole’s hand in mine, every feeling of loneliness gone. I watched the world whir past me as I drifted off.

I woke up in a panic, nearly jumping out of my seat and wondering where I was. I felt Cole tracing a circle with his thumb on my hand and calmed down immediately.

“How long have I been asleep?” I asked groggily.

“Not too long…” Cole muttered. I checked the time on the dash.

“Shit it’s three am!” I sat up, stuffing my phone in my purse. “My moms going to kill me.”

I buried my face in my hands miserably.

“No, I talked to your mom already.”

“You did what?”

“It’s okay, I just told her that you weren’t feeling well, and you fell asleep so I was just going to drive you around a little bit until you woke up.”

I used to think I was lucky when Brandon drove me home after a late night. If I ever had fallen asleep in his car, he would have had every intention of waking me without hesitation.

“Are you doing okay?” Cole asked, looking concerned.

In reply I lifted our entwined fingers and pressed them to my lips. I stared out the window for a few moments as I watched the familiar roads leading to my house.

“I’m fine.” I whispered finally.

When we pulled up to my house I wasn’t ready to leave Cole. But, I reluctantly let him help me climb out of the car. I didn’t want to go inside so just stood there next to his car, crossing my arms and staring at my shoes.

“Um,” he began, and I looked up. “Can you, uh, turn that inside out?”

For a second I was confused, but then I saw him eyeing the bloodstains on his sweatshirt.

“Oh.”

I pulled the sweatshirt off, the cold air stinging my arms. I flipped his hoodie inside out and put it back on.

“Hey Cole?”

“Yeah?”

“Thank you. For- for everything.”

He fixed me, then, with those piercing blue eyes and I felt my heart begin to pump ten times faster than it ever had. He found my hand and held my fingers gently.

“You’re welcome.”

I walked forward and hugged him, laying my head on his shoulder and closing my eyes. The fact that tomorrow was Saturday was possibly (for once) the worst news ever. Not because I liked school or anything, but because I wouldn’t get to see Cole. I already missed him.

Because it was partway into February, the nights were just becoming colder and colder. Even though I was wearing Cole’s sweatshirt, I began to shiver once again.

“I should let you get inside.” Cole said, pulling back.

“Okay.” I muttered.

“Goodnight.” He smiled, lighting up his face.

I grinned back, unable to say anything. I watched Cole walk back to his car. He stopped for an instant, turning slightly like he was about to say something, but then thought better of it. He kept walking and he put his hand on his car door handle. He hesitated there for a brief moment and finally made up his mind.

“Are you…?” He turned toward me and paused, like he was still deciding what to say. “Are you, um, doing anything tomorrow?” He didn’t meet my eyes, but he was incredibly shy.

“Yes! I mean no. I’m free.” I said, trying to cover up my excitement.

He smiled and opened his door, but instead of climbing in, he grabbed a piece of paper and scribbled something on it.

After closing the door, he jogged back and handed me the paper.

“Here’s my address. If you ever need anything, or just, I don’t know, get bored, just come over.”

I laughed, “okay.”

“Seriously though!” He said, grinning.

“Alright. I might take you up on that offer.” I said, smiling.

It was nice to know that he was fine with me coming over whenever I wanted. I might be doing that a lot.

I watched Cole’s face, trying to read his expression. He was smiling, but it just barely touched his eyes. He had a warm look, but his eyes were still full of worry and guilt.

He seemed so readable, like he was hiding nothing from me. But, on the other hand, he was the most mysterious person I’d ever met. I moved my hand over to his and interlaced our fingers. I raised myself onto my tiptoes so I could reach his face and dropped a light kiss on his cheek. His smile faded slightly as he stared, looking stunned. But, before he could make a move I let go of his hand and headed for my door.

“Goodnight Cole.” I called as I walked, turning to watch him sluggishly move back to his car. He didn’t respond, but he made a slight gesture with his hand to let me know he heard me.

I jogged up the stairs to my porch and wiped my feet on the rug outside our door. I lifted my hand and gently laid it on the brass door handle. I took a deep breath, long and slow. I wondered what I would face as I walked through the door. A paranoid mother? A disapproving father? I closed my eyes and turned the handle.

Ch 6

The night had actually gone much more smoothly than I had expected. My mother seemed to be brimming with joy rather than boiling with anger. “I think you’ve found a very nice boy.” She had said as she began to simultaneously bombard me with questions about him. In the end, I did get some sleep but I woke up late in the morning also.

I decided then that I would shower and then head over to Cole’s. After all, he did say I could come over any time and I did want to meet his grandfather.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 38

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:33 pm
cha3739 wrote a review...



Hi, MadisonMae!

First things first: I was very close to not reading this because it's so long. However, I'm a sucker for a romance story and that alone pulled me in. Just in the future, try to break up your pieces into maybe a chapter per post. 1000-2000 words is usually a safe ballpark for how long a solid post should be.

That said, on to the critique! I will say that this read exactly like most other young adult novels, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm still waiting for the President to make a hard-hitting appearance and I'm really curious to see what his role in all of this is, how it relates back to Cole and Jes. Within the first five chapters there's usually some inkling of what the conflict of the story is and I'm not seeing that yet. It may be better to just forget about the President all together and write this as just a realistic teen fiction because thus far, that's what it's coming off to be.

JohnLocke already took care of most of the grammar stuff but again, just make sure you proofread and everything makes sense as far as sentence structure and all of that. Be very careful of how many times you start your sentences with "I" as well, just because that can get repetitive.

Cole needs a personality. Right now he's just kind of flat, a cardboard cutout of an ideal guy, which isn't all bad but I'd love to see him crack a few jokes and tease Jes a little bit. it'll really make him come to life and help flesh out the story overall.

I actually really liked the first few chapters before Cole became a thing. The dialogue between Jes and her friends was very realistic and believable and you have a knack for showing the actions of these characters and the way they interact with each other and their environment, so that's great. You're doing good with showing things instead of just telling about them, too.

Other than those few things I didn't have any major problems with this piece. I hope to see more from you soon and I'll be following this story so keep writing! :)




User avatar
181 Reviews


Points: 8839
Reviews: 181

Donate
Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:24 am
JohnLocke1 wrote a review...



Hello, my friend.

First, welcome to YWS! And, I just have a quick suggestion: divide this into individual chapters and re-post it. You are a fantastic writer. If you want more people to read this work, having shorter chapters will definitely help your chances. Anyways, this was a really great read. I thought it was another mundane, cliche teen romance novel, but then you really blind sided me! I did not see chapter four coming.

Second, some grammatical things:

I pulled up to Chelsea’s driveway, stomping on the brake with my white converse much to late.


"...converse much too late." I had to search for that one. Hard.

I shouted loosing it all together.


A comma is needed after shouted. I had to search even harder for that one.

Actually, I cannot find substantial grammatical mistakes or errors. It was only a brief run through, due to size, but everything seemed fine.

Third, some stylistic suggestions:

I felt a warm and wet kiss on my left cheek, and a hand on my shoulder.


I feel as though I should issue a warning: all of my stylistic suggestions are extremely nit-picky and I will use the word "flow" almost too frequently. Like now. I would suggest removing the "and" after "warm." It makes the sentence bulky. Removing it would help the flow.

She set off down the hall, her long blond hair looking like a golden sheet of water that rippled down her back as she walked.


This description of her hair seemed out of place to me. Almost forced. In contrast to the preceding and next line of dialogue, it just looks strange. The flow of your style seems disrupted. Or, I am just crazy.

At first I was angry for someone to jump in my way, but then I looked up and saw who it was.


This seemed far too bulky. Maybe, "At first I was angry at someone for jumping in my way..." or something of that kind. It is only a suggestion, though, to help the flow.

He was wearing a sky blue tee shirt that matched his eyes, and he had short brown hair, but not too short. Not like most guys, who spend an hour in the morning gelling their hair, it was just the perfect length.


Remember when I said your description of Chloe seemed out of place? Well, this is the place for that kind of flowery, beautiful description. Go to town, my friend.

He just nodded quietly and looked down at my bag, which (thankfully) nothing had fallen out of.


You might think that I am about to tell you not to end a sentence with a preposition, but I will not! HEHEHE! Down with those who do not allow the ending preposition! Anyways. I would remove the parentheses and add comas. That is an insignificant change, but I think it would look more professional.

He looked up and met my brown eyes with his nervous baby blues.


I wouldn't repeat the word "eyes." I know that seems dumb, but I believe it would help the flow.

I wanted to follow him, but I remembered suddenly where I was going and I was suddenly panicked.


This sentence seemed rather crowded. "I" this and "I" that. You can truncate this for the sake of flow. I can feel your hands through the computer about to punch me if I say flow one more time.

I couldn’t stop thinking of Cole, and how he was so quiet and mysterious.


I know this is at the end of the chapter, but this sentence was very "tell-y." Readers hate being told how to think about a character. I would remove the part about him being, "...so quiet and mysterious," and show us throughout the story instead.

Suddenly there was a heavy weight on my shoulders and the strong smell of beer filled my nose. A pair of lips touched my ear.


I would use the part about the lips to greater effect. She clearly doesn't enjoy the heavy weight on her shoulders or the beer, so why not show us that she does not enjoy the lips?

He laughed, a little louder than necessary, and sloshed a drink into my hand. I took a drink, then handed it gingerly to Chelsea, trying not to spill any.


Another nit-picky suggestion. In the first sentence, you say that he hands her a drink. In the second sentence, you say she takes a drink. I didn't know whether he physically took the drink in her hand or took a drink, like a swig or a sip. That probably seems insignificant.

Each of us staring into the distance, soaking in the peacefulness of the world as the wind tousled my amber tendrils.

I made it to class just in time, but my mind still wandered back to Cole. I wanted to get to know him better, but I didn’t really know how.


Was there meant to be a clear divide between these two lines? If not, there needs to be some kind of explanation as to how she left Cole.

Cole caught my eyes with his beautiful ocean eyes and I instantly forgot what I was even asking.


Again, an extremely nit-picky suggestion, but I wouldn't repeat the word "eyes."

I scrambled off bed and clumsily grabbed a purse and some shoes.


"I scrambled off my bed..." I think you just forgot the "my."

He was such a likeable kind of guy, compared to Brandon my mother probably thought he was some kind of saint.


"He was such a likable kind..." Just a misspelled word. And I would consider rearranging these sentences, for the sake of flow. "He was such a likable kind of guy. Compared to Brandon, my mother probably thought he was some kind of saint." Something like that.

He has a big forest-green jeep with a couple dents on the side, but still in fairly good condition.


Keep your tenses straight, "He had a big..."

That is all I really had to say about style, and please forgive me for it.

Fourth, your characters.

Jessica is an extremely well developed character, in my opinion. You have shown us the world through her eyes, and crafted that image in a way wherein we see how she truly thinks. She is flawed, meaning realistic. I enjoyed hearing her think, speak, and act. She was real and I felt her life through your words. You really like her, don't you? Also, I felt as though her reaction to the whole fight scene was rather unrealistic. I don't know why, but maybe go back over it? See if it all makes sense. I may just be dumb.

I had a bone to pick with Cole. He almost seemed too perfect for me, fitting into that stock archetype of the mysterious, beautiful boy who saves the heroin. I know this is early in the novel, but I do not want to see your story fall into the cliche. You are far too talented for that. Breathe some realism into Cole. I know that we have barely seen him, but still. Don't make him bland.

The rest of your background characters seemed like perfectly average high school boys and girls. They blended in perfectly and didn't distract from the story by being boring. Nice work!

Fifth, your plot.

I was worried that this was going to become cliche, as I have said, but it did seem different to me. Or it has the potential to become different. Just please, do not fall into the pitfall of the overused and creative.

Also, I had some questions. How does Jessica know about Cole? You say that she is looking for him, but you never really explain how she knows him. I would clear that up somewhere.

“Nothing, really. He just never listens to me. Or talks to me, for that matter. I’ve never seen him get anything above a C- in a class, either.”

“So?”

“I get A’s and B’s. I don’t know. Maybe it’s time that we go our separate ways.”


Why is that important? It seemed rather random and distracted me from why she actually does want to break up with Brandon.

Also, you could slow down the first chapter, a bit. Let us see Jessica grow tired of Brandon. You simply stated it and did not show us enough interaction between the two of them. As she drifted away from Brandon, she could drift closer to Cole. That would give the whole thing a bit more realism.

Overall, this became a very entertaining read for me. Jessica is a strong, interesting character. Give a bit more life to Cole. You are a fantastic writer. I think the length of this review should tell you how interesting your work is. Keep me posted when you finish any more of this novel. I am excited. Happy Writing!




madisonmae says...


Thank you so much for the review!! It really means so much to have my writing read. Thank you thank you! Your review is incredible and I have so much to think about. I appreciate your review so much and thank you again!



JohnLocke1 says...


It was a great story, my friend!



Random avatar

Points: 2966
Reviews: 142

Donate
Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:30 am
Bugslake says...



This was the cutest thing that I've ever read, so adorable. I just loved both of the characters in here and Cole is just so perfect for her. You are an amazing writer and I couldn't find anything wrong with this. Just keep going wih this. I just loved it, it had the right amount of everything in it.




madisonmae says...


Thank you!! There is definitely a lot to this story and I still have a lot to do. Big plans for the book!! Again thank you so much for reading and I'm so glad you liked it!!




When she transformed into a butterfly, the caterpillars spoke not of her beauty, but of her weirdness. They wanted her to change back into what she always had been. But she had wings.
— Dean Jackson