z

Young Writers Society



The Assassin - Chapter 1 - Part 2

by Omi1


It would not be long before I was overtaken, and it seemed the better choice to face my assailant while I still had some strength left, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. The odds were far too risky for face to face combat, not because of my unfair weapon disadvantage, but because my emotions were everywhere. In the past hour I had experienced hate, distrust, fear, paranoia, regret, grief, fatigue, anger, sadness, and dread to the fullest. So much was running through my mind, I did not know if I should turn on my assailant and fight with the knowledge that death would take me in my uncontrollable rage or if I should fall to the earth and weep with the knowledge that death would take me all the same. At the moment, all I could do was run with the hope that I might loose my pursuer in the labyrinth of buildings before reaching the heavy guarded walls bordering the city.

I had thought to throw my dagger behind me. That I may have been able to do. My aim was enviable on many levels, but I worried that my pursuer’s ability to dodge weapons was just as good, possibly better. And even if I were able to hit my target it would only maim or injure, not kill, and then I would be left weapon-less. If I had but kept my scimitar I would have at least stood a chance. Disoriented or not, I could wield a scimitar like it were part of my body.

As I ran, I noticed the feathery wisps of snow begin to gather in drifts, making it harder to run. The feel of it was almost dreamlike, except that I was fully aware that death would not mean waking up. This drove me to go faster, and yet the harder I tried to run, the more I felt myself slipping. It was quickly becoming evident that I was not going to be able to shake this person.

Millions of thoughts whirled through my head. Was I to die? Undoubtedly. Could I take one last person down before death encompassed me? Possibly. Would anyone miss me? Not likely. I was completely alone in facing the world. And yet, I knew such thoughts were not mine. They belonged to fear. And up to that moment, I had not experienced such all-encompassing fear. Being chased by an unknown someone was a first, but I should have expected it, especially after what I’d done. It was the act I’d just committed that scared me. And even more frightening was what would become of me if I survived this ordeal.

I am known as Emilyn, but to those of my creed I am simply called Red. I used to belong to an institute that trains people, particularly youth, to kill. That was where I ate, slept, and trained until about an hour ago.

If I had been aware of my indoctrination before I had reached the desensitized state I’m in now I might have tried to break free sooner. Had I done so, my conscience would not have been so heavily immerged in guilt and disparity. Everyone is provided with the knowledge of self defence from a very young age. The institute, or Carr Breemith, as the city was called, was not the only one of its kind. Most people were at one age or another recruited to such a place depending on their skill. For in this world, those without wealth or prestige have to rely on skill alone to survive.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
663 Reviews


Points: 11295
Reviews: 663

Donate
Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:17 am
Messenger wrote a review...



The Messenger here to do a bit of reviewing. So!

The beginning (I haven't read chapter 1, sorry) is very insightful. I feel like I am in the chase, even though I don't know much of what is going on. I think the beginning gets us right into the action. But this list starts dragging us down quickly.

I had experienced hate, distrust, fear, paranoia, regret, grief, fatigue, anger, sadness, and dread to the fullest.


While I like this list, I think you could rein it in a few words shorter. This seems to be essentially the same thing in twice as many words. I think if you took out a few of the words it would help it become less wordy.

The first paragraph is good. It really captures the whole scene, all the emotions, the despair, and yet there seems to be just a little glimmer of hope.

with the hope that I might loose my pursuer

Not sure if you meant to write "loose" or if you meant 'lose'. If you meant loose it is still correct, but if you didn't then it was misspelled. Either way is totally fine!

That I may have been able to do.

You need a comma after that. If you don't add it it is a fragment.

It was quickly becoming evident that I was not going to be able to shake this person.

It hit me here. Although you keep on using lines like the one above, I have yet to read a sentence on the pursuer, or the pursued man/woman, hearing the pursuer. Try it throw a phrase or two in their to get that sense. Maybe even a glimpse of the pursuer?

Whoa! That ending, in fact the last two paragraphs, felt totally out of place. You bring us out of the fight and go back to Red's background. While that should happen sometime, the middle of a life-or-death chase isn't the best of times. And you cut it short as well. I think you should revise it and maybe drop little bits and pieces here and there, for now, and then when the chase is done finish them up.

I did like this piece, and with some polishing it could be very good.
Keep it up!




User avatar
40 Reviews


Points: 4279
Reviews: 40

Donate
Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:31 am
RoachRedford! wrote a review...



I found this half of the chapter much more pleasing to read as we finally got some insight into the character. Not only did we get biographical detail but we also got some excellent emotions coming through in your writing. You are very skilled at descriptive writing, something I am jealous of, and your description of emotion does not disappoint. My only real suggestion is to remove this;

In the past hour I had experienced hate, distrust, fear, paranoia, regret, grief, fatigue, anger, sadness, and dread to the fullest.


This is just a list of emotions, and putting it here breaks what is otherwise a well paced and meticulously descriptive piece of writing. If you want to convey all these emotions and have the reader believe it, you have to make the reader feel as though they can see these emotions being felt. There is a difference between;
Sam was sad.

and
Sam's lungs refused air and his skin rippled with a cold chill. All sound dropped away as he tried not to weep, choking on his own despair.


I'm horrible at emotive writing, but see how one is a statement and one is a feeling?

I hope that helps, but I honesty don't think you need it, later in the piece you nail some great emotions in Red, so it is a bit weird you had the list in there in the first place.

I like where this piece is going. I'm unsure if it is set in a fantasy world or the historical past at this point, however, and I'd like to know that reasonably early on. Keep writing, I like this story!




Omi1 says...


No, no, this is great! That makes more sense, and thanks for you help once again. :)




sweet mother of asparagus
— GengarIsBestBoy