z

Young Writers Society



Conversations with Myself: Chapter 8 - Richard and I

by Calvinn


He lay, like a fallen statue amongst the ruin of stone. Richard’s eyes flickered open, squinting at the sudden intake of light. His hair was white from the dust and dirt it had gathered, making him look even more unruly than he usually did.

Jugged debris poked his body from all sides. For this I was partly thankful. As unfocused and unsettled as he was, the pain brought along a measure of self-conscience (ironically enough). Propping his elbows against the cold, hard rock, Richard pushed himself off the ground, wincing as he did. His mouth opened and shut several times in a soundless cry of pain as the blood began to circulate fully once more, making him rub his wrists and legs as the feeling returned.

Something far worse than blood also rushed in. Something which left him with the taste of ashes lingering in his mouth, and a tight fist constricting the thumping of his heart. Memories. The screaming sirens, the run home, the bombs, the rubble, then blackness.

Mum”. It was more of a croak than a word. It had risen to his lips so readily, with such intense feeling, he had been unable to hold it in, tumbling up inside him.

Mum”.

But Rose did not answer. She as entombed a few feet away, in the rubble that had once been her home, even when so many had fled. Richard’s explicit rejection of her had sucked what was left of life from her body. She felt a ghost as she trundled up the stairs. The sound of her dress sliding across the floor became the whisperings of her haunted world. Sirens had blared. She stood in her room, slipping a gentle hand down her back to unlace the black dress so fatefully worn.

It was in this state of undress they found her, and descended upon her family’s house as she missed a step, felt her ankle crack and heard the sharp snapping sound underneath the thundering of bombs and the loud cracking and shattering of roof beams. And so she lay, dead, in what could either be a strapless dress, or a state of undress.

Richard’s eyes rested on the grave, unbelieving, refusing to believe. But the tears ran their course still. He stood there, a proper statue now, albeit one which represented more of a hobo in torn clothes than royalty.

Under other circumstances, the thought of directly communicating with Richard would have had me positively buzzing with intensity. But Rose was entombed in the rubble

Minutes ticked by. First one, then another, until I lost count of how long he had been standing there.

Richard was not the only one at a loss. How was I going to initiate this?

He thought he was alone. Mostly every conscience I talk to has the same problem, a human who thinks that his thoughts are his own to keep and guard. This is not the case. Thankfully, there have been certain exceptional humans over the years, to whom consciences revealed themselves, who led a successful life, which released some of the tension I felt building up at that moment.

Out of these few people, there have been those, specially assigned by Life, directed to raise awareness regarding the existence of consciences. Martin Luther was one. Of course, this has to be done very subtly, otherwise all that will come out of it is ridicule and, perhaps, prosecution.

This subtlety I am talking about here, is morality. The fight for religious toleration is a prime example of these enlightened humans’ work. Wars begin in our world, not the human world. They are, however, fought in both. The war in the name of religion is an exception. Consciences are called to serve, not to speculate. We never partook in what led to the wars of faith, although we did partake of the atrocities committed during them, I am ashamed to say. What Life did then was to summon certain highly-esteemed consciences and charge them with the duty to encourage their humans to spring forth the idea of religious toleration into the human world.

Unfortunately, there are certain repercussions, following wars, which have long-lasting effects on the human population, not the conscience one. We learn to forgive and forget, whereas people tend towards nourishment of grudges.

All this, sad to say, is not common knowledge. Not that it should be. At least, if Richard was familiar with the concept of myself, it would have made what I was about to attempt that much easier. I cannot begin to list the number of times I have tried to hammer into Richard’s brain and make myself heard. Many times I succeeded. Not that he would have taken me for ‘another person’, if you will. He would have simply thought of me as his ‘inner voice’, a cover consciences have adapted ease our workload.

However, it’s one thing to help guide a human’s actions, quite another to officially break the communication barrier. It has come to be considered as sacred, one incredibly fraught with dangers. Imagine, out of nowhere, another ‘person’ plops into your head and starts chattering away. You might get used to it, eventually, but after spending so many years believing your thoughts are a secret known only to yourself, when you’re actually sharing them with another entity, sometimes humans find our revelation too much to handle at one time. This may lead to serious, grave impairments inflicted on both of us – the human and the conscience for here, we can speak of an intertwined existence, a shared life.

This is why I never considered the possibility. Until now. A 14-year old does not know how to lead an independent life. Not on his own. And when there aren’t even any neighbours around, as they have all sought safer place to live far enough from the war, drastic measure assume a dimension of acceptability. And so I steeled myself, drew upon my deepest wells of courage and strength, and dove in.

Richard, I uttered cautiously.

If there is someone behind me, please go away, he pleaded silently. He did not want to face anyone.

The advent of direct communication should have been my ultimate achievement. At that moment, I did not consider it to be so. It was certainly a moment to revel about. Finally, I could guide my boy more directly. Humans place far more emphasis on words than emotions or actions. Yet, I wasn’t even sure he would respond to me.

Consciences never use their voice explicitly. We’ve never had to. The ‘inner voice’ disguise suits us well enough. Images and feelings are superior to the mediums of the human world. Voices are deceptive. Think about it. A conscience expresses thoughts through its own emotions, rendering the telling of untruths impossible. Speech paves the path for the sins consciences have worked so hard to eradicate; lying, backstabbing, insulting, breaking promises. People cannot lie to their feelings. They lie to themselves and others through language.

But now I was boxed in on all sides. Contacting Richard was inevitable.

Richard, I repeated.

His eyes opened wide and stiffened, frozen on the spot.

I couldn’t take the silence any longer.

For heaven’s sake say something!

Suddenly I felt an onrush of emotions burst. The tumult of feeling evolved into a bubble of panic climbing crescendo after crescendo. Richard’s fists flew towards his temples so quickly I barely had time to yell out.

Stop! Richard, I am your conscience and I will not have you inflicting self-harm on my behalf. Please refrain from doing so, whether you are in my presence or not. Now if you could kindly respond to my message, I would be grateful for the concrete proof that I am actually speaking and not hallucinating. And you don’t have to speak. I can hear you.

For the record, I can recall this occasion perfectly for two reasons: I was conducting a conversation with my human for the first time.

I am mad, he stated inwardly.

Not on my watch you aren’t. You’re only mad if your conscience is unusually deformed. Rest assured I am quite intact, thank you.

Who are you?

I am your conscience. You are not going mad, you were, are and will certainly remain sane and there is nothing wrong with you. I am simply your inner voice which happens to be exactly what the name implies.

Am I demented?

Richard. This may prove to be a bit of an exacting task, but I beg you to stay calm. Now, I’ve thought about what we’re going to do. Your mum mentioned this relative of yours, the bird-named lady. Yes I know she’s bound to be a grumpy old witch but she’s the only lead we’ve got. Might as well fish her out of her cosy hidey-hole and blackmail her into accepting you. But you must focus, another air raid could come any minute now, and the bombs will break more than just your home.

I barely managed to conclude the last few words, before I began to curse myself inwardly at my ineptitude. Bringing up Rose in such a tactless manner doubled Richard’s pain. The thing was, I myself didn’t know how to confront my boy on the subject. Emotions are a human’s burden to bear. Obviously, being a conscience, I do know quite a bit about this and actually suffer from quite a familiar ‘concept’. I call them levels. I can feel intensity, excitement, anxiety, to varying degrees, but I don’t know happiness or grief. Nevertheless, given that the existence of a conscience and its human are so intertwined, it is inevitable that when emotions wash over Richard and dictate his actions, I feel the intensity of his dominant feeling. At that moment, I was a blinking red, but concentrating was a must.

My only option was to take the boy to Mdina where his aunt, Mrs Falcón, lived. Even if she blatantly refused to bring him up, the Silent City was the safest place in Malta at the time, or at least, one of the safest.

Our surroundings here remained as broken as ever. I longed for a change of scenery. If only my diplomatic skills were a bit better!

I kept expecting sirens to start wailing with every second that passed.

I tried to find the missing link, what was lacking in my communication skills that my images and emotions were so full of. It took me a few minutes to realise what it was – images conveyed the truth easily, no shades of grey. So I tried again.

Richard. I know you’re hurt, but the reality is nothing can be done. As your conscience, my job is to reduce the amount of grief transferred to your soul. You’d die if I abandoned you to yourself.

I’d rather be dead.

You can’t say that. You musn’t.

Mum!” he screamed aloud this time as the tears overflowed, dripping onto his clothes. Pain seared through the parched wall of his throat. Pity welled up inside me. Furiously, he started pushing, clawing and scrabbling at his mother’s tomb – the ruined house. He pummelled it with his fists and clawed, breaking fingernails and opening the half-healed scars on his knees as the rubble trumped him, over and over again.

The sun was directly above us, beating down heavily on his head. Richard broke in beads of sweat, oblivious to the flies buzzing around him.

A few minutes passed before he collapsed again on the piles of stone adorned in blood from his broken fingernails, scraped knees and elbows. At the very least, the exercise seemed to have brought him that much more to his senses.

I ploughed on, insistent:

You’re hungry and thirsty. Death will come again soon. Trust me, you’re better off not meeting him.

Richard closed his eyes. I feared he was on the verge of madness. His life lay in ruins all round him, and I had just opened myself to him. I thought he felt it was all too much to bear.

This is madness. What are you, how are you inside me and get out, get out, get out!

He brought two fists up and drove them into either side of his head. Then he stood up in his dusty, blood-stained clothes, the torn shreds of clothing revealing his knees and elbows and wiped his nose with his hand. Etiquette was beyond him now, and there was a long road ahead.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:59 pm
Deanie wrote a review...



Hey there Calvinn! Deanie here, terribly late but here nonetheless.

I'm going to find this difficult to review because I can see the previous reviews have done a wonderful job. I am going to try not to repeat but sorry if this is a lot shorter than usual.

I might be a bit slow at this, but I've just realized how the title of the novel ties in with everything, and I love the idea. It's good ^^ Also, your descriptions in this chapter are tip top. I'm loving (well not really but you get it..) how you're showing Richard's savage and desperate grief here, and it really shows how you can love someone without telling them.

I wasn't too sure about the part where Richard here's his conscience. I can understand how he would be punching into his mind and so on, and how he would think he was crazy. But I think he would be in such a state that he wouldn't even be giving the conscience a chance to fully explain himself, at first. It would pan out after the beginning few moments perhaps.

This is madness. What are you, how are you inside me and get out, get out, get out!
The one thing I've noticed a lot in other people's work and even published bits is questions without question marks. Even if it's within something or connected to a non-question-y bit of a sentence, it still needs it. So: What are you? How are you inside of me? Get out get out GET OUT!

That's how I think it should be done ;)

Other than this, I do not have much more feedback for you! Do let me know when you have more up, no gift necessary ;)

Deanie x




User avatar
308 Reviews


Points: 31200
Reviews: 308

Donate
Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:59 pm
GoldFlame wrote a review...



Flame here to review! Happy New Year's!

I can't believe that after seven chapters, you still don't fail to amaze me. Sorry if this is shorter than other reviews; it's pointless to discuss your technical mistakes, as there are so few of them.

Now, I might be being too nitpicky, but Richard could be developed more. We know the basics: he's precocious, he's interested in planes, and he's attached to his mother. But it's difficult to connect with him, as I know nada about his personality. Is Richard benevolent? Strong? Brave? Throwing a few quirks or flaws in there could also make him lovable. I adore it when they're clumsy (with the exception of Bella Swan, who was otherwise sickeningly perfect), generally despised, or when they have a heart of stone like Sherlock Holmes. Make it so that you know your character better than anyone in real life.

With your actual writing, though, I have next to no criticism. Your descriptions weren't too elaborate, blunt, lengthy, or short. Several typos jumped out at me, spelling and grammar (like "jugged debris" versus "jagged debris"), but as they all can be fixed by rereading, I won't mention them.

I'm also assuming that it's a British thing to keep punctuation outside of quotation marks, and to neglect the period in the abbreviations of Mister and Missus?

Two more things...

Try not to use two words where you can use one. Simplification will attract more readers, in addition to clearing up the message. So the first sentence should look like "He lay like a fallen statue amongst the stone ruins" instead of "ruin of stone." I know that the difference is minute, but it ends up saving countless words and preventing readers from giving up in despair at parts with slower pacing. I learned that the hard way :P.

So this whole chapter was devoted to Richard's grief. Normally I don't like filler, but you pulled it off nicely. I'd just recommend focusing on his emotions, as opposed to the conscience's thoughts. We want to connect to Richard! Never worry about slowing down the pace when it comes to developing your character.

Overall, nice job. Notify me when more is up :D!




Calvinn says...


Hey Gold! Thanks for the review :D (Haha, no, it is NOT a British thing, just a nasty habit I have gotten into!). Sorry about the filler, I had to insert this chapter, not delving into Richard's feelings would have been a grave mistake (or so I felt). Thanks again Gold! :D



GoldFlame says...


No problem! Seriously, though, filler like this is necessary, and you pulled it off great :D. I meant the opposite of what I said, I suppose :P...



User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:05 pm
View Likes
Rydia wrote a review...



Hello! Just a disclaimer that I haven't read the earlier chapters of your story so anything I say here is based on this chapter alone. If you think you've covered anything which I point out in an earlier part, then you'll have to use your greater knowledge to decide if it needs changing or not.

Specifics

1. I think you need to switch your first sentence around so that it starts with 'Richard lay, like a fallen statue amongst the run of stone. His eyes...'

This is because when you're beginning a new chapter, or even a new paragraph, you want your reader to have solid facts - some solid ground to stand on. You want to tell your reader where they are and who is there. Even if it's a new character and their identity is unknown, you should still present them as a certainty by describing them as 'the man' or 'the woman'. You should only ever use 'he' or 'she' or 'it' where the being these are related to has already been identified. It's like using an abbreviation before giving us the full name - it feels backwards.

2. I'm not sure where the I comes in - it feels very disembodied. Where is this I? Are they looking at Richard - there to help him? There seems to be no attachment to a being which makes me wonder if your narrator is an omniscient being, telling this story from outside the main action? Maybe this is one of those things which only makes sense if you've been reading from the beginning, but it struck me as odd.

3.

It was in this state of undress they found her, and descended upon her family’s house as she missed a step, felt her ankle crack and heard the sharp snapping sound underneath the thundering of bombs and the loud cracking and shattering of roof beams.
This is a slightly lengthy sentence and difficult to read, which is a shame because it starts off so beautifully! I'm not sure whether there should be a comma between sound and underneath or between underneath and the - it's difficult to know which sounds go with each other. I think maybe you need to think about cutting it into two sentences.

4.
He would have simply thought of me as his ‘inner voice’, a cover consciences have adapted to ease our workload.


5.
And when there aren’t even any neighbours around, as they have all sought safer places to live far enough from the war, drastic measure assume a dimension of acceptability.


6.
For the record, I can recall this occasion perfectly for two reasons: I was conducting a conversation with my human for the first time.
This feels awkward because you're setting us up to give both reasons and when you don't immediately, we're pulled out of the story for a moment and have to work our way back in. Try to control your reader's expectations - make it clear we'll only get the first explanation with another sentence, such as: For the record, I can recall this occasion perfectly for two reasons, the first being that this was my first time conducting a conversation with my human.

Overall

This is lovely. You have some very beautiful descriptions and for the most part your idea of the conscience and how you represent it to the reader works really well. I like the character of Richard and while I don't find the conscience to have much of a personality as such, that's okay because you explain that they don't feel emotions the same way humans do and it makes for an interesting view point.

Keep up the good work!

Heather xx




Calvinn says...


Thank you so much for reviewing Rydia! Your specific pointers and suggestions are extremely helpful :)



Rydia says...


No problem, I'm glad I could help :)



User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 610
Reviews: 67

Donate
Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:41 pm
Auxiira wrote a review...



Hey Calvinn! Auxii here to review!

I said I'd review these didn't I... I'm sorry for not following them... I'm going to review this by itself, without eny knowledge of the other chapters, so I won't really do any character evolution or anything...

Nit-picks:

She as entombed a few feet away, in the rubble that had once been her home, even when so many had fled.

Typo: was
You don't need the first comma, I think. It makes the sentence choppy and broken, it's all the same clause for the first bit.

You've forgotten a period at the end of "But Rose was entombed in the rubble"

Overall:
I really liked this! From the one chapterish/prologue I read before I understand (sorta) the implications of the Conscience talking to Richard. It's really interesting. It knows the possible consequences, but still charges on with it. And Richard can't hadle it. I'm guessing this is a huge turning point in the story, and it's well executed, leaving the reader wondering what's going to happen next. I probably won't be able to follow this, knowing my rather full time-table, but I'd love to read more!

Hope I helped and keep on writing!
Auxii~




Calvinn says...


Hey Auxii! Thanks so much for reviewing :) It's O.K., I just appreciate the 2 reviews you took time to write! :)



Auxiira says...


Aww, you're welcome! I really enjoyed the two I read!




You don't need to follow me! You don't need to follow anybody! You got to think for yourselves!
— Brian Cohen