Tapping Sounds and Strange Reading (2)

by DodjyWriter

Tapping Sounds and Strange Reading

Part Two

It sure is quiet here why don’t you sit your furry little behind on one of those clean old books yeh you pop yourself down nice and comfy me and Timmy we were just passing time you know so how can we help mister?”

Timmy stared at the clock in disbelief. It’s not talking. It’s that awful ticking. Shut up, Timmy punched in the thought.

Oh but ticking is just what I do Super Timmy I’ll tick and I’ll tick I’ll tick all the way—”

“Stop.” Yet Timmy knew he, she, it, whatever it was, wouldn’t listen. And it wouldn’t stop. The fly arrowed above his head and his lazy eyes followed its flight.

Now Super Timmy is playing with a dainty little furry fly oh he is desperate to find something to do I can almost taste you Super Timmy taste the big fat juicy excitement.”

The fly hopped from the children section, then to the teen fiction, and finally landed on the history family. It was buzzing something but Timmy didn’t understand. Or maybe Timmy didn’t want to understand. But he would have to. And if he didn’t already know it, he soon would and with a rough edge. Madness will prevail. He heard the clock sing.

“Super Timmy Super Super Super Timmyyy.”

Jack turned from the fly, who was jumping from A to B, then to F. Tap, tap, tap he went. How can something so small, so insignificant, land with such heavy opinions?

“Stop it.”

Stop what Super Timmy?”

“Singing my name. Stop it. I don’t know yours, and I don’t want you to know mine.”

Oh it’s a tiny bit too late for that Super Timmy.”

“ Wha—” He stopped himself. He wouldn’t be drawn into this delusional craze. The clock wasn’t talking. It’s a clock. Clocks don’t talk. But what is that fly doing? To Timmy, he was becoming increasingly aware that it was searching for something. His head rumbled with a fuzzy aura, like he was swamped with an oppressive and heady odour. Slumped atop the beach-brown counter, his eyes gazed blank like a drugged ex-heroin robot. And now to add it, his wires had loosened and were sparking in loops and tangles. Next stop Crazy Town.

It spoke again. Its voice was masculine, yet oddly tuneful.

I know you Super Timmy you know me Super Timmy.”

The fly twitched beside ‘The Great Depression, 1930-33’. Joyful reading, Timmy thought, rolling his eyes back to the clock.

Oh oh Timmy Timmy not so super as I thought he doesn’t reeemember you don’t remember Super Timmy?”

Timmy blinked slowly. This was happening wasn’t it? The clock was talking. And Timmy had to answer. Why did he need to answer? ‘To play the game.’ The response seemed to drop from overhead. Not from the clock. This voice was deeper, darker.

“Remember what?”

HE DOESN’T REMEMBER.”

“Remember what?” He repeated. Although, he heard the words rather than felt them leave the safety of his head. A buzzing smear to Timmy’s right sought attention and found it. It flew up and behind the history section. What is it looking for? Stop it. Timmy, you don’t care. You don’t know. You don’t need to know. You can’t know because it isn’t real. Flies don’t read books. Flies can’t read — full stop and underline. Get back to work, Timmy. Work? Timmy groaned at the idea. This isn’t work. Where is the work here? The talking clock? The reading fly? White-face spoke again. Timmy didn’t know what else to call it — him. Clock no longer sufficed.

Oh Mister Fly Mister Fly come back from behind there he really don’t remem— oh forgive me by the chime of the first hour Super Timmy we got ourselves here a lady fly Missus Fly he don’t crazy remember.”

“This is nuts. Shut up. Stop it. You are not real. You’re in my head, part of me, I made you up, I’m bored.” He was growing annoyed at White-Face and it himself, mostly at the job though. But the real reason was he was tired. Not tired of work (what work?) Timmy was tired of everything. The bugging tune of White-Face sang again.

Oh but I am real Super Timmy and Super Timmy sure as time we have met before.”

A tingle shivered faintly acorns the small width of his lower back — a spider running its race. He tried to ignore it. Yet like an itch at the turn before sleep, it desires attention. It refuses to be ignored. He reached a clumsy hand down and brushed the spider trail — nothing there. As the words tumbled from the production center — boy, did he notice the workers up there were slack today — he realised repetition had found his voice again.

“You’re not real,” he said, “even if you were — which you are not — if I've met you before I would know you name — which I don’t — and I would be able to remember such a thing — which I can’t. You’re as real as a junkie from the big red one.” Timmy finished and like a fool allowed an incorrect confidence to swell. The clock wasn't real. Timmy was simply having fun. He was passing the time…

Oh but I am and we have certainly met not so long ago in fact and not so strange as you would believe or have come to know here’s a fun game guess who?”

“This game is over.”

It’s over when they decide it’s over.”

“They?”

What’s my name?”

“I’m not playing.”

Oh I believe you will.”

The fly whizzed in front like bait being yanked along a string. It sat on the desk and looked up. All kaleidoscope eyes fixed on Timmy’s weary features. To the fly it was a mirage of half-way oysters smudged with a dark underline. He returned the fly with a scowl. Lifting his eyes, he found White-face once again. The clock ticked. Timmy wondered when his shift ended; when the time was up? Would it ever end? Had it already ended? Maybe if he played along?

“What’s your name?” he asked. Curiosity didn't kill the cat: foolishness did.

“Oh oh that really is tooo easy Super Timmy Beee the first letter is Be.”

He shifted. Unease had grabbed him. The memory struck as clear and definite as a chord being strung. He knew the name. Clear as da — by the chime of the first hour, he remembered now. As if licking the anxious drips lying in wait along Timmy’s brow and in the palms of his damp hands, White-Face knew. White-Face had always known. The way: is to play.

He remembers oh Missus Fly Super Timmy remembers and he remembers well say it boy.”

The lost boy behind the desk remained silent. He held a bad hand and White-face was the pig-nosed rotten dealer. A thoughtful pause came and went.

“I don’t know.” He was buying time for something. But he didn't know what. He was stalling through fear. Yet, time was his worst enemy right now; and here there was a harsh abundance of it.

The somewhat fun, yet malevolent, voice explored the room again. Each wall shimmered with his sound. It reminded Timmy of the fun times at the cinema.

Timmy, Jack white and Dave Trummel all together in a large, black room, number four, sounds of explosions and action vibrating off every wall. For an hour and half they lost themselves. It was brilliant. Timmy and Jack raced to the top, nabbed the two most central seats and to add to the beauty, the row was empty. They waited for clumsy Dave Trummel to stagger up the steps towards them, looking for them, half blind, half stupid. Each hand held a mountain of overpriced food, popcorn— large, hot dog and Pepsi — large. When he reached them, face gleaming with something childlike, chest heaving with exertion, Jack slipped his leg out and down Dave went. The result was carnage. Jack had laughed, Dave had gradually begun to giggle, and even Timmy may have slipped a grin or a chuckle.

Those days had stretched too far back now and the cord had snapped. Fun only loitered at the back of Timmy’s mind now, crouched head in hands in the darkness.

There was nothing fun about this, nothing playful about White-Face. Timmy knew — felt — there was something wrong. This fun was a bad dog. If he’d written the word out now, engraved it right onto the desk, it would leak streams of black. And there’d be spots of blood, thick with iron, dotted among the blackness — and they’d be laughing. Bobbing red heads playing in the dark.

How amusing how playful how fun this is someone might say Super Timmy knows the door's open wide open free why hasn't Super Timmy left ME ME ME pick me I know Super Timmy remembers now and now he mustn't leave.”

The walls were closing. The corners folded in. In the corner Timmy went. A swaying ship moved. Swishy, swishy, swishy his stomach wobbled like a bucket heavy with water. Timmy needed to crawl his way out of the dark box now. When faced with a wall, you bring it all the way down. Timmy would play along for the time being.

He spoke with confidence and unfamiliar fluency. “Bill Hands. You’re Bill Hands.” The room shifted as if hit by a snap of thunder. Everything changed direction and clicked into place. The air sizzled with understanding. The Fly, Timmy, and Bill Hands, together they knew.

Yes it sure is Super Timmy it sure sure is.”

Outside, the first crowd of droplets tapped on the shop windows. A flicker later, ‘Great Reads’ was barraged with a flowing rattle. A wet, grey storm had emerged from a window in the summer sky. It was as if someone had climbed through the glass-frame and forgot to close the window behind them.

“I know where we’ve met before today,” Timmy said in that same slow, assured fluency. The big hand ticked. Bill Hands read: eleven minutes past three. The chime of the first hour, thought Timmy. The phrase moved around inside his creation center as clear as transparency,

Go on,” Bill Hands said, ticking with a carnal anticipation. He was like a wolf licking for dinner. Timmy was the sheep. Timmy was wandering closer. Its jaws were open now. Its thick-needles, dripping with saliva, were grinning.

The Fly whizzed past Bill Hands and tapped flat against the window pane of the entrance door.

Timmy chewed the memory one last time. It had happened. It was all true. But that Fly? Something doesn’t fit. A jagged piece was still left. The puzzle was incomplete. The Fly? What about the Fly? He didn’t know. It wasn’t right.

Bill hands waited. Timmy fed him what he wanted. The memory sped out of the gates, green light ahead. His lips moved. “It was the 1990, June, 21st. The first hour —”

The door rattled open in a bellowing clash of rain and eager brute force. Timmy gawped.

SetSytes wrote a review...

If I'd reviewed this one first, I would have lambasted it with praise. Unfortunately I don't think it quite matches up with the first part. I think it's most likely all the dialogue. Possibly too much dialogue. There is also a strangeness to Timmy's behaviour and speech - but not that interesting, oddball strangeness - rather it's hard to balance what's happening around him with how Timmy is taking it all. It all seems a bit unrealistic with Timmy - or is that the point?

The story has its many great bits, and again lots of excellent, uniquely bizzare bits, such as "This fun was a bad dog. If he’d written the word out now, engraved it right onto the desk, it would leak streams of black. And there’d be spots of blood, thick with iron, dotted among the blackness — and they’d be laughing. Bobbing red heads playing in the dark." I've never read someone refer to something as abstract as fun before as a 'bad dog' - but it works, and the sentence leaps out at you as both dark and funny.

A problem with the seeming lack of balance between this and the first part is that, with the dialogue, there is a strong comic edge to it all. Often this can be a good thing, a comic horror, but with the way you write the rest of the work it doesn't seem to match up. It feels like it's spoiling the horror, the sense of surreal unease. The comedy, rather than biting, seems sometimes just silly instead. The whole 'Super Timmy' thing doesn't seem to land, perhaps there is an origin to the phrase we don't know about? I don't know, maybe take the 'super' out of it all.

I can see a strong The Shining influence in this, particularly with the clock, but I think you're veering too strongly on the lighthearted and less on the horrifying. Perhaps the clock needs to be more sinister, less 'pally' with Timmy.

One little mistake - you don't need to write 'B' as 'Be' for a first letter. 'Be' makes it just confusing, as if the clock is revealing the first two letters.

Apart from that, this is still a strong piece, just perhaps a little off-kilter with the previous work.

emjayc wrote a review...

Hello, emjay reporting for duty ^^ This looks like another interesting and amazing piece! I already liked the other one a lot and I'm sure I'll enjoy this one too.
I read this last night, but wasn't able to review it, so I'll go off of what I remember:
~" A tingle shivered faintly acorns the small width of his lower back." - Pretty sure you meant "across" instead of "acorns"!!

~' “What’s your name?” he asked. Curiosity didn't kill the cat: foolishness did.' - Love this line :)
~ "Its jaws were open now. Its thick-needles, dripping with saliva, were grinning." - Extremely good imagery! :D

(sorry I can't figure out how to use the big quote thingies to make this review look better.)
Although I find this chapter slightly difficult to follow, it's still really amazing and you write so very well. You're words flow and your diction is great!

DodjyWriter says...

Thanks for the review, again! haha i didn't even realise...acorns :)

emjayc says...

Haha yeah that confused me! I was like "yeah, this is great!!" and then..."acorns" ^^

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:35 am
GrapeNerd wrote a review...

Wow, this piece was quite amazing. One thing, though, is the lack of punctuation. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be this way or not. Also, I love the cliffhanger ending. It left me on edge. The "game" was really interesting. Actually, the whole concept of this story is very imaginative and interesting. I can't really find anything wrong with this piece, so I guess that's it! Keep writing, I would really like to continue reading these. I think this would be an amazing novel/book. KEEP WRITING AWESOMENESS.
GrapeNerd

DodjyWriter says...

Thank you for the review! I assume you're referring to the clock with no punctuation in the speech? Yeh, it was deliberate, I noticed the effect used in The Shining so i thought i'd try it and see the response. :)

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:10 am
Cailey wrote a review...

Hey there, Knight Cailey here on behalf of the Flaming Keys with a review on this lovely review day.

So, I didn't realize this was one of many pieces of a story. Maybe it would be smart to switch this over to novels just so you can have everything in the same place and the reader can know that it's a segment. Well, I guess the 2 in the title should have been enough...

Anyway, I love stories with a hint of insanity, like this one. Have you ever read the Yellow Wallpaper by, well, I can't remember who it's by, but it's a fantastic short story about a woman going crazy. And yours reminded me of that in the way it was written and the way the insanity seems to increase as the story goes on. It's great!

I was going to comment on the detail and more background information, but since I didn't read the first part I feel like it isn't fair to comment on any of that since you probably mentioned it in the first section.

I like the way you wrote the clock's voice in italics and with no punctuation. I mean, the lack of punctuation was really frustrating in some ways, but once I realized that it was on purpose then I thought it was really cool and a really neat twist and a great choice of style.
Maybe to take away the annoyance completely you could add more 'and's. The word and gives the break the reader needs to have in order to not get swept away with the sentence, but it also allows you to still leave out the punctuation.

Along with that, I think it would be cool if you could add the tick tock even more into the clock's words. Have you heard of iambic rhythm in regards to poetry? It means you have one stressed syllable and one not stressed syllable and then stressed again and not stressed, and so on. Usually people talk about it in reference to poetry, but I think if you thought of the clock's voice in that way, and wrote over the top iambic rhythm, then the tick tock would come through more clearly and the words would sound even more insane and clock-like.

I would like a little bit more about Timmy, but again that would help if I read the first part. But I don't quite feel connected to him yet. Like, I don't really have a reason to not want him to go crazy, but I feel like I should. Maybe give him some more motivation? Unless you're showing that he doesn't even care if you goes mad, in which case ignore what I just said. :)

Oh, and the fly, I love the fly and the description of its eyes and its buzzing and the way it stops to read. And the ending, where you went back to the fly and used it to show that the story wasn't over. That was great. The fly definitely added to the insanity feeling that this had, and it was really good. I hope this isn't the last part?

Keep writing! Let me know if you need anything or have questions or comments.
-Knight Cailey

DodjyWriter says...

I plan to only have three parts so i thought it'd be too short to post in the novel section, but if you think it's easier i could do that?

The clock speech was inspired ( stolen) by Stephen King :) But hey. I like your idea about the ticking, could you give an example in text?

I think i know why you don't feel attached to Timmy, characterisation isn't my strength, need to work on that...but the first part might help, haha :)

Oh, and i'll try and get a hold of Yellow Wallpaper!

Cailey says...

I guess it doesn't really matter, since I realized after reviewing that it does show the other parts on the side. But I know I posted a four section short story as a novel once.

Here's from Wikipedia: "da DUM da DUM da DUM da DUM da DUM

The tick-TOCK rhythm of iambic pentameter can be heard in the opening line of Shakespeare's Sonnet 12:
When I do count the clock that tells the time"
Do you see how every other word is stronger?

Yeah, it can be hard to really get into the character's heads, but you have a really good beginning here.

You're welcome, let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know, or if you want more examples of iambic or anything.

DodjyWriter says...

Cool, thanks for the ideas, i'll try it out! It looks an interesting way to write something.

Cailey says...

it is, it's really fun to experiment with, I think. :D

"I feel like if men sent unsolicited dragon pics instead of *other* unsolicited pics they’d get a lot further in life"
— ShadowVyper