falling

by capriciouscoralyn

I remember

falling

off the face of the earth

for a split second,

being afraid to fly

afraid to sink –

just hanging in mid-air,

hesitating

whether to reach out

or to look down,

whether to breathe

or to vanish,

whether to see

or to dream.

Skydreamer wrote a review...

It's harder to review smaller pieces but when you got good poetry you just gotta review it. I like how you started this but I feel that there is that sort of cliche inconsistency. Probably not intentional but still there. As in the last part:

whether to breathe

or to vanish,

whether to see

or to dream.

When you have such a great (and yes post-modern) beginning it's important to continue on through to add a unique, not expected ending.

Other than that though I am honestly surprised this did not get more appraise as it is really good.

What I meant by inconsistency was when you started off with "reach out, or to look down"
then whether to "breathe or to vanish" there is a sort of connection but if you know what I mean it isn't fully clear, and while that's okay, I feel a slight disconnect because of it. A small way that it could be edited could be:

"whether to reach out

or to fall down,

whether to breathe

or to hold in,

(or drown or keep vanish, I thin vanish is fine, finding something opposite of breathe is hard, haha.)

whether to see,

or to dream."

I believe that helps it to connect a bit more, but to be honest it sounds great and you did a fabulous job. I even like how you formatted it, writing it all in one long sentence. It sounds really great and I truly understand it, the person is falling but are they going to chose to soar up or are they going to just fall and leave themselves to die. I do feel there could have been more added to explain this, but this short poem is beautiful and well done!

Keep dreaming, and writing!

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:01 pm
WillowCutz wrote a review...

Hey Willow C. here, I'd have a clever opening here, but I'm too sick so bear with me...

Anywho, I liked this poem. It was very thought provoking and the beginning, honestly, sounded it could be the first few lines of a book or movie. I do, however, think you could have done more with it. You had all my attention and then it was just a list. I do like what you have here, but I think you could say more. Explain. You set up a scene where you are hanging in the sky, but there is so much you could do with that.

I am not going to suggest that you explain how you feel in the sky or what you see or how you got up there in the first place because I do believe that will ruin the poem completely it just feel like you could use this idea for something a whole lot bigger.

I know this isn't the best reveiw in the world but this poem is beautiful just how it is.

-Willow C.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:46 pm

It's really good.I just felt something cool while reading it. You have so much potential! Keep being awesome!

Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:51 pm
yubbies21 wrote a review...

Hello capriciouscoralyn! It's Squire Yubbies here to vanquish this Green Room Piece!

I really liked this poem. I love it when authors just string bits and pieces together to make a quick "snapshot" poem. It really just draws the reader in when they just have to think about one quick idea for just a second before moving on and them gluing them together to create a unique mental image.

I love how you used italics for the word falling.

The only thing I didn't like was how you didn't tie it all together at the end. It just ends. No conclusion. I would add a bit more!

This is a wonderful piece, Keep Writing!

Squire Yubbies

Sometimes poetry is inspired by the conversation entered into by reading other poems.
— John Barton