z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

You Could Have...But You Didn't

by SereneSimpliciT


You don't know who I am.

Well, actually, I take that back. You do know me.

Don't you remember me? I'm that girl that sat next to you in history the past two years. You copied off of me during tests, thinking that I didn't notice your gaze trailing off your own paper and onto mine, but I did. It was because me that you got an A in that class, yet you never cared enough to learn my name. I was just another sucker that you used to rise in the ranks of the class, it wasn't worth learning my name.

You and I were in choir together, though I sat on the other side of the room. You couldn't hear my voice among the others, and I couldn't hear you. But I knew that your voice was beautiful, considering that you always got the solos I wanted so much. You never cared to compliment me, but I complimented you many times. Though, you didn't think much of it, you just faked a smile and a thank you. You moved on, and forgot about me, forgot my kindness towards you.

I was in your P.E. class. I wasn't the most athletic student, and you knew that about me. You'd roll your eyes whenever you saw I was on your team. You didn't care that I was picked last most of the time. You just worried about whether or not you'd win that meaningless ball game.When I missed a pass or was the cause of the ball getting possessed by the other time, you snickered under your breath, calling me a loser or something worse. Sometimes I heard your words, but I never made it apparent. You laughed at me when I celebrated hitting the ball and making it to the base, saying that it was sad. Normal people should hit the ball every time they come to bat, catch the ball whenever it's passed to them, throw the Frisbee perfectly into the end zone. That was your version of normal. You didn't care that I was trying my hardest, you just kept rolling those empty eyes of yours, and easily forgot me as soon as the bell to the next hour rang.

You were in the musical with me. I never told you, but I had a little crush on you. I thought you were so good at everything, it made me jealous. Your smile was bright, your laugh was adorable, and you had the most serene green eyes. You were nice to me to make it better, complimented my voice when I sang, and laughed at my horrible jokes. You became a friend in my eyes. Though, when I tried to talk to you at lunch, you just stared at me, and began laughing, before walking off to talk to another girl. You acted as if you and I had never met before. But, when that bell rang and we entered the rehearsal, you smiled at me and called me by name, as if you hadn't ignored me earlier that day. It didn't even occur to you that I noticed your actions. When I asked you, you shrugged it off, and said I was too paranoid. I was just paranoid, that was your conclusion, you had done nothing wrong...

You called me your "Best Friend". You told me things that everyone else already knew, and told others things that I never knew about you. I told you everything about me, and you pretended to listen, leading me to believe that you actually cared about little ol' me. But you didn't, the secrets and true thoughts I entrusted to you just went in one ear and out the other. You would "joke" with me, telling me that I was stupid and awful, laughing it off like what you said didn't leave any bruises. When I'd tell you about my wish to be in love, you'd laugh, then spin me around. Your voice was so happy, saying "Honey, with these looks, you'll be looking for a while." You didn't realize that it was because of your thoughtless comments that I would never believe anyone that said I was beautiful. You claimed to notice every change about me, yet you never asked me why I began to have bags encircle my eyes, or why I began to smile less and less...You never heard my pleas with you to help me, you just simply walked away, saying that you were "too busy". You didn't even care enough to call me when I began to come to school less...and less...I went out of your mind. I no longer existed in your head, I was simply a name with no entity behind it.

And then you heard that I was dead.

Suddenly, you remember everything about me. You remember every detail about me, every strand of my hair, every tear soaked eyelash, every word you had simply disregarded when I said it to you. You claim that you were close to me, yet you say that you didn't see the signs that I was deteriorating. You say that I kept my depression inside, and put up a front. I always had a smile on my face, that's what you say...

You don't even realize that it was you that put up that front. You never saw the future because you fogged out my image and made it what you wanted to see. I didn't hide that I was crumbling, I called to you, screamed your name, begged that you would actually listen to what I had to say, and comfort me in my pit of darkness that you had dug under my feet. But you didn't hear me. Your ears were deaf, your eyes as blind as my world was dark. You stand over my grave, crying your fake tears, deceitfully mourning right in front of me. It's disgusting. You're ignorant, ignorant of all you've done to me, and others like me.

You could've been the one that saved me.

You could have helped me. If you had seen me, and had simply listened, you would of seen all I could of given. You would have discovered that I had a beautiful voice. You would seen that even though I'm a horrible athlete, I'm a terrific artist. I could have tutored you in History, and we could of been the best of friends. We would have been roommates in college, and would have been each others Maids of Honor.

You could have seen the beauty in my heart, and would have eventually fallen in love with me. You would have been the best thing I ever had, and I would have been the girl of your dreams. We would have eventually married, and I would have given you three beautiful children that would reach all the goals they set, because we were their inspiration. You would have had no regrets as we grew old together. And in death, we would have both been happy, as our lives had been complete.

But you never even thought about those things. You allowed me to rot away into nothing. You allowed me to become a corpse, a heap of flesh and bone that never knew love or trust.

You could have had me for forever.

You could have...but you didn't.

And now you never will.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:45 am
Deanie wrote a review...



Hey Serene,

Well, this was a sad story. It was told in a rather interesting way, using second person. I think you made all the you's bold to put a lot more emphasis on them, which in the end I actually kind of liked in the end. I think you wrote this really well too... it went through a story of this person developing, them meeting and her always trying her best for him, but as she starts to realise and fade out, he still doesn't seem to care. And in the end he's left wondering what happened, and how he didn't notice, although it seems like he's still keeping up the front of her keeping it all in. It was such a sad tale. Sad that she died in the end, but sad that he still was pretending.

I have a few nitpicks and one comment, but generally this is a pretty complete story in itself.

It was because me that you got an A in that class


because of me

I was just another sucker that you used to rise in the ranks of the class, it wasn't worth learning my name.


The comma should be this mark ; It's something that lots of people get confused, and I don't usually call out because it's so small. But because this is almost perfect I wanted to help make it 100% perfect :D

or was the cause of the ball getting possessed by the other time


I think you mean team, not time.

and would have been each others Maids of Honor.


Hmm, this is a bit weird. Maid of Honor is usually at a wedding, and later on you say they could've gotten married. If they are the people getting married they couldn't be each others maid of honor. So I think this needs to be changed.

Other than that, brilliant story and usage of second person :) I hope this was helpful.

Deanie x






There are actually two or three people being referred to, not one boy
For instance, the history cheater is actually a girl, as it's discovered when the narrator says how they would of been best friends, been college room mates, and eventually each other's maids of honor later on in the story. Yes there is a boy also referred to, but the other Yous are more generic and aren't given gender, or an exact entity.
The best friend is usually thought of as a girl, but I guess it could also be perceived as a boy, but I was looking more at how girls are usually more verbally abusive than physically when it comes to bullying
Sorry for the mix up ^^
~Maddie



User avatar
92 Reviews


Points: 9651
Reviews: 92

Donate
Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:45 am
InfiniteSnowfall wrote a review...



Hey Serene!

Guess who's back. Back again. Haha anyway... Yeah. I've been busy with school, but I'm glad I could get back on for review day!

So, this was an amazing piece - but your writing always is. I really liked how you wrote this. It was as if the protagonist was talking to me . I also liked the pacing of the story. Us readers were walked through their whole relationship and (at least I did) felt the pain and emotion that he/she felt.

One thing that really stood out to me - and I guess everyone, because it was intended right - was the bolded 'you's. I just wonder why you did that? I felt like it was kind of distracting/overwhelming. I'm not saying to change it (unless you want to), I'm just really curious.

Also...

You called me your "Best Friend".

~ I don't think 'best friend' needs to be capitalized.
~ I think italicizing or using apostrophes instead of quotation marks would work better. There are several times this was done, and I probably said this before, but quotation marks are generally only used for dialogue in writing.

Altogether, this was a lovely piece. I absolutely adore the last three lines. It ties together the story nicely. Happy Review Day (Though I don't think you're participating) and keep writing!

Yours till the Chocolate Chips,
Snow

---

P.S. I'll try to get to LAPIS as soon as I can. But, you know... Life happens and stuff... :) haha






I was actually just about to get off, but then I clicked refresh and I suddenly had like 3 messages from you XD

Yeah, the bold yous are just meant for dramatic effect LOL

Glad you liked it :D
~Maddie

--
Can't wait to see!



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 2123
Reviews: 25

Donate
Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:39 pm
aliceceleste wrote a review...



Wow, I really enjoyed reading this- thank you!
I found it quite mysterious because you only hinted at what gender the characters were, and there wasn't much information actually revealed; I really liked that it was ambiguous.
Also, the use of 'you' directly addresses the reader, and makes you feel somehow responsible, so I think that was very effective.

The ending was also very emotional and describing what her body had become now was gruesome; 'a heap of flesh and bone'- I liked it! Great job ;)






Why thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it :D
~Maddie



User avatar
166 Reviews


Points: 1135
Reviews: 166

Donate
Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:13 am
Cheetah wrote a review...



This was... Wow. You let the reader become a part of the story by making all characters anonymous. There were only a few things I would change.

"You didn't care that I was trying my hardest, you just kept rolling those eyes of yours"

To me this seems a little weird, I mean, everyone has eyes, and I don't think it's necessary to specify whose they are.

Also, throughout the story, I wasn't quite sure what gender, there were little clues here and there but I was never sure.

Good job and keep writing!






You're not supposed to know the genders except for two: the History cheater is a girl, and the crush of course is a boy ^^

I thought I added another word to that sentence, I'll have to change that XD

Thanks for the review!
~Maddie



User avatar
187 Reviews


Points: 13001
Reviews: 187

Donate
Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:57 am
PeanutPhoebe wrote a review...



Aww!! This is kinda depressing. I love the descriptions! You really paint the picture. However, I would have liked a little more background information. What are they're names? How did she die? Why did he ignore her sometimes and others pretend they were best friends? Things like that would have been helpful. Another thing, why did you put any form of "you" in bold? Sorry if I sound harsh, but I think you could really make this great price into an amazing one!! Keep writing!!






This is a generic girl who is talking about people of no gender, except for the history cheater (girl) and the crush (boy).

There isn't really any background due to the fact that this girl is more of a foil for girls who are bullied around my age. If I were to add more, she'd lose her symbolism factor, and would take on more of a character appearance. That's why I didn't add much background to her.

I put 'you' in bold for dramatic effect XD

Thank you ^^
~Maddie




cron
When a good man is hurt, all who would be called good must suffer with him.
— Euripides