Noting the Difference: Creeper vs Stalker

by Johannah

Dedicated to Michael, the funniest, oddest creeper I know. :)

When talking on a subject one knows near enough to nothing about, it is imperative that he (or she) dive deeper into that specific topic, so as not to look the part of the fool. Then, it remains that person's responsibility to inform others of this discovery. (That would be you, my dear reader.) One such a subject that-to this point-I had been ignorant about, is the interchangeable use with which most Americans use the terms: creeper and stalker. So, to ease the minds of doubtlessly countless concerned readers, here are the definitions of both. As you will see, each has a distinctly separate meaning.

Creeper: a person who is usually a close friend or relative to the one being annoyed. They may do seemingly abstract things to bother your daily activities or consume your otherwise peaceful night's sleep with thoughts of something they did or said. Possible things a creeper might do: stare at you unnecessarily for long periods of time without saying anything (or anything of consequence), with partial consent from the person they're creeping on, a creeper may also try to figure out your library card number (you know who you are). The term creeper may also be used to describe more unpleasant people, but generally is used in a joking manner.

Stalker: someone who gives unwanted, or (over) obsessive attention to you on a regular basis. The behavior of such a person includes harassment, and intimidating actions towards the person they are stalking. Your thoughts towards them are never pleasant. Often their actions are linked to a sickness of mind. Possible things that a stalker might do: watch a person's daily activities/behaviors because of a mistaken belief (or wish) that there is a connection between them (romantic or otherwise), react violently towards you to get your attention. Some cases of stalking are not quite so severe however, and the stalker may remain aloof, but if you are observant enough, you will know they are there.

The only questions that remain to answered now, are: which one are you, and what do you correctly/incorrectly call other people?

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:07 am
Kevikur wrote a review...

I loved the closing you had on this! I thought it was extremely clever. We all have that one "creepy" friend, or maybe we are that friend. But you made it quite clear with your descriptions that a creeper is completely different from a stalker.

You had personality in this. You had facts. The descriptions about the two words were accurate Everything about it works; a great piece, through and through.

It was a slightly disturbing topic approached well!

-Kev

Johannah says...

Cool. Haha, well I'm glad to be able to put my writing skills to use and create a source of amusement. Thanks for the review! :)

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:29 am
dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

Dear writer, you happen to have a comma splice in your post. " the person they're creeping on, a creeper may try to figure..." I tried to pick out all I could, especially for you. Perhaps I should sprinkle this with lols for all the fond memories I have of this piece and many, many conversations. And on a side note I was actually thinking about Indy's PL today, since I had to deal with ebook returns.

Now, to give you an actual review that might count towards something, I thought this was funny and witty. There is a lot left to be said for both creeper and stalker definitions, but you do give a good contrast that allows distinguishing between the two.
Enjoy the site!

Johannah says...

Dear reader, thank you for pointing that out. Though I am surprised that you didn't catch that while it was on Goodreads... :) Haha.

Yes, well, I enjoy writing these because I don't feel as though I need to put a ton of time into writing them.

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better.
— Anne Lamott