z

Young Writers Society



Son of a Killer ch2

by tgirly


Streams of children swept through the hall, a tangled mess of giggles and whispers and loud voices. I slipped along, an anonymous drop in a river of faces.

In the classroom it was harder to disappear, but not impossible. The girl who sat next to him leaned away as always, as if I was contagious, or about to snap and kill her at any moment. Who knows? Maybe I was.

The morning passed at its normal slothful place.

On my way back from the bathroom, a boy a grade older than me stepped in my way, blocking my path back to class, staring me down.

“Did you help him kill her?” A sneer slashed his face. He didn’t know how much that hurt. I stared up at him for a moment, then pushed him into a locker. Holding his collar, I stared into his eyes, kindling as much flame in my own as I could.

“Yes,” I hissed, “it was my idea. And I could kill you too, right now, if I wanted to. I could squeeze your neck until your face turned purple, then cold. But you’re too pathetic. Too easy.” I spat in his face. “Wouldn’t be any fun. Now get out of my sight before I change my mind.” I shook him for good measure, slamming him against the locker. His eyes were so very full of fear. For once at school, I felt relaxed. Of course all I’d said was lies, but the result it had yielded, that was real.

He ran away.

Then the guilt came, like being hit by a boulder. I sank to the floor, tears kindling.

“I’m sorry, Ma,” I whispered to the air, “I- I’m sorry!” My hands were trembling badly. I needed to light something on fire- something big.

I ran from the building.

Tears fell on the garbage fire, but didn’t quench it. This fire wasn’t big enough though. Not this time. I wanted to tear out my hair; I could barely breathe.

I walked down the street, hands in my the pocket of my hoodie, fingering the matches. What could be enough? The school! No. Too many people. I had to find something empty. But what would be safe? My reason was slipping away as desperateness took over. One match box wasn’t going to be enough for the inferno I planned. I’d have to go home. Ruing every second of extra time, feeling the stress filling me, ready to blow like a volcano, I turned around. Maybe I’d just start it in the background; plenty of dead grass to feed the flame there.

Rummage bowled me over when I walked through the door, pulling me into a hug. I wiped my tears before he could see them, but it did no good.

“I know it looks bad,” he said. “But we’ll get through this. How’d you know to come home?”

“I didn’t.”

“The bill’s up. It’s being filibustered now, but I don’t know how much longer she can last.” The storm was striking. I didn’t know if I could stay standing. Now more than ever, I needed the flame. It’d be nice to have control over something for once, especially something as uncontrollable as fire. But now more than ever, I had no choice. We had to pack; had to be ready to leave if the worst became reality.

I unearthed a suitcase and stuffed it wildly, a jumble of sleeves, pants, heirlooms, and plain junk.

“They’re already outside,” Rummage said. “Just waiting for the law.”

“Should we sneak out the back?” He raced to the other window.

“No. They’re in the alley too.

“Don’t they have anything else to do? Should we try to lose them.”

“No,” Rummage said, straightening. “We won’t flee. We’ll sit in our house and face them calmly.”

Neither of us were doing anything calmly.

It was the strangest swirl of emotions I’d ever felt as I sat, waiting, Rummage pacing behind me, the lady pacing on the tv, speaking as slowly as possible. On one hand, our future was being debated. On the other hand, it was the most boring thing I’d ever seen.

When the phone rang, we both jumped. It was probably the school, calling to tattle on my behavior. Neither of us had the heart to answer, or to hand up. So we let it ring until it died away.

The hours stretched on. Around eight, I threw together some pbjs for us. Rummage stared at me blankly for a moment as he remembered that there was more to the world than worry. There was also food.

“Thanks” was all he could say.

Around eleven, I made some hot cocoa for us. Besides that, we were with the congresswoman every moment of her ten-hour filibuster. But, at 12:27, she had to yield to the floor.

“All who would have the children of murderers, rapists, and terrorists quarantined from the rest of the population for six months, say aye.” The word thundered from the set. “All opposed.” A handful voiced their dissent. The decision was clear.

Rummage sat down.

“Well. That’s that, I guess.” I turned off the tv. We stared at each other in silence, knowing everything had changed. The silence was too much for me.

“I threatened a kid today,” I said, “and I’ve been-“

“Hospital, you need to listen to me. Because I don’t know if we’ll be together. But you are not a bad person, Spit. There’s goodness in you, I know it, Spit. I know about the fires. But you’re still my little bro and I still love you. You’re aren’t like him. You’ve got mom in you too. Don’t forget that.” The door bell rang. I grabbed my brother’s hand.

“Don’t worry about me. I’ll be okay.”

“I believe you.” It rang again. I let Rummage go.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
221 Reviews


Points: 1476
Reviews: 221

Donate
Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:06 pm
Vivian wrote a review...



His name is Hospital? Who thought that up?

Is his sister the one in the hospital? He really got a personality change with that threat.

The story's good, I was waiting to see what would happen. Why do I feel like that's something the government would actually do? What happened to "freedom and justice for all"?




tgirly says...


His name's Hospital. Thanks for the review; I'm glad you liked it.



User avatar
663 Reviews


Points: 11295
Reviews: 663

Donate
Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:18 pm
Messenger wrote a review...



Streams of children swept through the hall, a tangled mess of giggles and whispers and loud voices. I slipped along, an anonymous drop in a river of faces.

That was an awesome first paragraph. I like how you described the scene as parallel to water.

Ruing
I believe that word is a mistake of misspelling.

This chapter was even better than the first. I was a little surprised when Spit blew up at the other kid. Then I was worried when he planned on burning down a building. Now, I think some more detail on the filibuster, and the quarantine thing would help to understand more what's happening. This still is pretty interesting.
Keep it up!




User avatar
332 Reviews


Points: 10657
Reviews: 332

Donate
Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:49 am
Blackwood wrote a review...



Good evening! I have read this second chapter now. A quick question I have for you is that did you change the kids being killed to being segregated?

As an overall summery of this chapter, I feel like it moved quite fast. From being arriving it at school, to running out, to being home, it all sort of just happened. I feel like you need to slow down a bit and write out your scenes a bit longer, put in more detail, and pass time a bit more.

In the scene where the kid confronted him, I felt a bit skeptical. This kid just confronted him because he has a large portion of confidence. If he was just average or scared he would have walked by, not even bother with trouble. A kid won't get into such situation unless they feel like they will win or benefit from it. I feel like the kids random change of manner was strange and sudden, he shouldn't just run away like that because its very much out of original character, especially since in this world, children of killer are feared and considered dangerous, not to mention, if Hospital had a physical equality or advantage to this kid it seems unlikely that he would confront him.

Next

Rummage bowled me over when I walked through the door, pulling me into a hug. I wiped my tears before he could see them, but it did no good.

“I know it looks bad,” he said. “But we’ll get through this. How’d you know to come home?”

“I didn’t.”
I am very confused at what just happened here. One minute ago he was walking along the streets and now he is suddenly at home.

I am also confused at what Rummage is talking about in the next scene, I have no idea whats going on except they are talking about escaping from something, then they just sit there and eat sandwiches as if all is merry.

“Hospital, you need to listen to me. Because I don’t know if we’ll be together. But you are not a bad person, Spit. There’s goodness in you, I know it, Spit. I know about the fires. But you’re still my little bro and I still love you. You’re aren’t like him. You’ve got mom in you too. Don’t forget that.” The door bell rang. I grabbed my brother’s hand.


I feel like you say Hospitals/spits name too much in here. Also in this final section of speech I feel that you need some action breaking up the speech a bit.

Regarding the confusing scene in that I have no idea what was going on this was the most confusing line.
Around eleven, I made some hot cocoa for us. Besides that, we were with the congresswoman every moment of her ten-hour filibuster. But, at 12:27, she had to yield to the floor.

it made me go "whaaaat???"

I look forward to see how the kids escape the situation. I understand they are hiding from something, at first I thought their house was surrounded by police but then I realized Spit had just come in the door so it couldn't be. I thought that the scene would result in a tactile escape scene out windows or something or into a basement, but anyway, I just think you need to clean up the situation to help the reader understand exactly whats happening.





An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that life's going to launch you into something great, so just focus and keep aiming.
— Unknown