z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Family Gathering

by TranscendingIllusion


The shivering wind cuts through my quilt,

my blistered skin creaks perished blood.

A Chip-less oak door quakes in its hinges.

Empty curtains float ominously

as tufts of air push through its holes.


Stumbling down stairs,

floor boards scream in pain.

The hollow doorway bends unnaturally.

Fingerprint covered windows

lock the memories inside.



My sisters tiny hands

inside of the reflection of mine.

Another void doorframe stands frozen.

Missing tiles filled in with

dusty beetles and squash-able worms.



Stepping into the ataxia garden,

thorns strangle corpses of roses.

My Mother almost hovering

on withered grass.

Her vanes gasp for breath.



Above, shameful branches tree together;

vines noose around my Fathers stretched throat.

Moss grows inside the gapping fissure of his arms.

The grudged knife glued in the grip of a fragile fist.

A droplet of red life clings on the blades point.



My knees weaken to the pebbles below me.

Winter leafs shatter as I fall.

In front of me stand three cadaverous tombstones.

The pieces of my family buried underneath,

where are mine?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 279
Reviews: 34

Donate
Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:16 pm
Morticiansdaughter19 wrote a review...



That was extremely intense. "The pieces of my family buried underneath. I miss my family" I wasn't expecting this when I read the title, which is a good thing. Did the narrator kill his/her family cause that is what I am gathering here. "vines noose around my Fathers stretched throat." "Father" shouldn't be capitalized, the same goes for "Mother" in "My Mother almost hovering on withered grass." This was a very intense, creative, well written poem! Great job! its very twisted too, which makes it even better!






Thank you for your short review, I'm glad that the poem was thrilling for you and that you enjoyed it :D I have changed the last time,but hopefully you prefer it now as other reader and I thought it was a little cliche. I will fix the errors that you pointed out thank you. And if you read my other comments on the reviews, I have stated the I felt it for the reader to interpret the poem on then own, but on the comment underneath I explain what I understand from the poem.

Thanks again



User avatar
271 Reviews


Points: 414
Reviews: 271

Donate
Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:29 pm
Gravity wrote a review...



There are just minor errors. "My sisters tiny hands" sisters should be "sister's" because it's possessive. Also, you should really capitalize the first letter of EVERY line. Another thing, press shift-enter to drop one line instead of two, this way you can have stanzas.

I was slightly confused about who killed your parents. It was the little sister, right? And she also killed the narrator? Please just comment to confirm that. I thought it was a good poem, aside from the obvious confusion and simple errors. I definitely thought you used great words to bring on the creepy ambiance of the poem. Your adjectives were genius. There is one more minor error.

"I miss my family;" There should not be a semi-colon here, there should be a period. I hope this helps. Again, great poem. I love horror fiction and I thought this was great. :)






Hello defyinggravity, thank you for your review. I will read through my poem and fix the grammatical errors.

I left the poem open for the reader to make up there own mind about what the poem means to them and how they interpret it. However, the way that I understand it, is that all of the family members are dead including the narrator - who's gender isn't stated nor important. All that is own for sure is that the father commit suicide; the mothers and sisters death is purely for the reader to imagine. The narrator is dead and with the edit of the last line, the ghost of 'it' roams the house and can't be free because it isn't berried next to its family. but again its death is for the reader to decide.

I like to think the 'ghost' or narrator did something causing the father to commit suicide, maybe killing its sister. then the mother died in time; and all three were berried together. But the ghost wasn't berried with them because it destroyed the family.

That is how I read it, but the reader can make up their own mind ^.^

I'm glad that you enjoyed it :D



User avatar
413 Reviews


Points: 11009
Reviews: 413

Donate
Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:11 pm
Cailey wrote a review...



Hey there! Cailey here for a review.

Okay, I love the tone of this piece. Props to you for making a poem into a horror story. I have yet to figure out how to make poetry sound scary, but you got me hooked and got me goose-bumped.

I won't say anything about the stanzas, since I totally understand not being able to format things properly. It happens to me all the time!

You have a few mistakes scattered throughout the piece, a lot of missing apostrophes, and a few misspellings. But I think if you read through this a couple more times you should be able to catch those and fix them up in no time.

At the beginning I was tempted to say that you had too many adjectives. I mean, every noun is preceded with an adjective, which can be pretty annoying and distracting. However, I only noticed that for the first three lines, and then I was so wrapped up in the poem that I didn't notice any problems with this. So maybe you can work on a way to not make those first lines so adjective noun, or maybe it's perfect and I'm just crazy. :)

Anyway, I love how you fit so much detail into the piece, and went back to what happened and showed the situation without saying anything too obviously. It was very emotional and very creepy and very sad.

The one thing I could find that you could work on is the last line. I feel like "I miss my family" just takes away the tone of the poem. It's cliché and obvious, and it doesn't fit with the feel of the poem. I don't know what you could write instead, but I think you should be able to find something that is less abrupt and more unique.
You've got a great style here, don't end it with something that anyone in the world could say. Go back to your unique voice instead of falling into the cliché.

I hope this all made sense and helps. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.






Hello Carley, i will first apologise for taking so long to reply. I moved house so everything has been in the air.

I am very grateful for your review, it's great to read that someone likes my piece so much and compliment it. And I'm glad that you think I am able to write horrors, they are probably my favourite types of poems to write.

I have fixed the stanza's i have figured it out haha. I will have to read through it and find my grammatical errors, they are probably my biggest let down.

I really wanted to use a lot of adjectives and metaphors in the poem, generally I include them in all my poems but this one I really wanted to use them everywhere to create the atmosphere; which I think I managed reading your review.

I have also changed the last line so that it isn't cliche. I hate using cliches but I couldn't think of anything else to put at the time and I really wanted to upload this piece and see if anyone had any ideas. But I'm happy now I think with how i have ended it.

Again thank you for your kind words and useful tips and friendly criticism. I hope you read some of my other poems and like them as much



User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 521
Reviews: 16

Donate
Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:18 am



Just so you all know, there should be stanza's every 5 lines. However when I submitted it it wouldn't let me and nothing changed when I edit it :( So just pretend that there are 6 stanza's each 5 lines each




Rook says...


If you go back in edit it, you can change that by doing Shift enter instead of just enter. :)




Every first draft is perfect, because all a first draft has to do is exist.
— Jane Smiley