Violence

A Final Kill

by Futurenow

Setting: 1930s, London.

Picking up the pieces of my scattered life, putting them in a big black bag of evidence. I have passed all the good stages: the anticipation, the excitement, the tingling I get all over my body where I can feel everything. Then the glory. But that is over now. It’s faded away to numbness, despair, agony. People were not made to kill.

This time, it was a man. An old one. I had thought his age would make this better, that I could justify it. He was so near the end of his life, I had just taken away the hours in a hospital bed before the hours in a coffin. This could have worked when I was younger, and better at denying my guilt. Now I am older, and the guilt can never go away.

You are wondering why I do it. Why do I need to kill, need to live a life in the shadows? Why not marry, settle down, have some children? I start to shake in rage just to think about it. I can't help it. When I'm angry or afraid, I lash out. You might call me a psychopath. A murderer. A freak. I am always afraid, always angry. It just takes over, and in a moment, another victim. Another life.

I fall to my knees over the fabric bag. My heart aches and I shake all over, sobbing silently. I hear a noise beside me, the soft fall of small feet. I jerk to attention, whipping my head back to see where it came from. I little girl, no more than eight, stands opposite me. Her face is tear-streaked, but curiosity has overcome whatever little fear had caused those tears.

“Sir, are you alright?” she asks in a high, innocent voice. I look at her, not answering. She peers down at the bag. I look down with her. It’s too late. One of my little mistakes has cost this child her life. A bloodied hand sticks out of the bag. I look back up at the small girl, whose face has turned ashen. She starts to shake but doesn’t budge as I draw nearer.

“Please don’t hurt me. I’ve lost my Mummy but I know she is looking for me.” I don’t want to do this. But maybe I’m not killing, maybe I’m just saving. This girl has her whole miserable life in front of her. Why don’t I just save her the pain?

“Sir, please.” Her voice shakes, and for the first time she starts to back up, to turn, to run. I catch her within seconds, pinning her down, turning her over. My knife is in my shaking hand, positioned just above her heart. Her eyes look at me, and she trembles in fear. Her voice starts to rise to a scream as I pull up the knife. Her large blue eyes pierce into what heart I have left. I know those eyes- I've seen them before. My mother had the same ones. My mother... my first kill. And then I cut her screams off.

Night has come. I am still sitting over the body of the girl. So young, so very young. I don’t even know her name. In the darkened alley, the stench of the man has filled my nostrils, and I know it’s time to move, to dispose of the evidence. I walk down my usual path to the river, the safest place I know to get rid of anything that you need to rid yourself of forever. The current will take the sack, dragging it downstream to be found by a horrified townsman or either to end up in the sea.

My boots fall heavily and slowly. This is unusual. Every other time, I have been in a hurry to get them out of my sight. This is different. I already know, this time, something else is coming. Reaching the edge, I hoist the sack up over the banister. Then, purposefully, carefully, I step up onto the thin surface myself. I prepare for a kill. My final kill. This time, I know I won’t feel any guilt. And if I could, down there in Hell, I’d know the world would be glad to be rid of me. Thinking of the little girl, the girl like my mother, I know I can't go on. I can't be this anymore. I tip my weight forward. A kill. My final kill.

Three, two, one.

Splash.

OliveDreams wrote a review...

Hello! I've come to be more nosey for Team Rouge and this amazing review day! I will provide you with a delightful review sandwich in just a jiffy :)

First things first, the things I liked;

This is so intriguing! I want to know why they kill and how they actually do it! How do they pick their victims?

I love that you've flung a load of questions at us throughout. It really gets the reader wondering about what you've written.

And now onto constructive criticism;

“This could have worked when I was younger, and better at denying my guilt.” - I think you could change this to 'This could have worked when I was younger, when I was better at denying my guilt.' It's a great line though. It offers such a great insight into the characters mind.

You switch between past and present tense sometimes. Pick the one you feel most comfortable writing with and stick to your guns :)

Good luck & keep writing!

Olive <3

Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:24 pm
rishabh wrote a review...

HEY!

Your work is nice but not satisfactory. You need to write everything in past tense except dialogue part. There are some huge grammatical mistakes also, which was generating hindrance while reading your stuff. Go through your stuff once more and write it again. or read your stuff aloud , this will give you exact idea about the mistakes you have done in your work. Transform the entire narrative part into past tense, you have used the present tense which is making your piece very dull. you have to upgrade your stuff, and then upload it again.

overall the plot is nice, story is good but the grammar and the sentence construction(in some paras) is not appropriate.

for eg: i have taken some corrupt lines of your story....

You might call my a psychopath.(wrong)
you might call me a psychopath.( right)

I little girl, no more than eight, stands opposite me.(wrong)
A little girl, not more than eight years, stood opposite to me.

i hope this will help you a bit. so, keep writing.

Actually, this story works perfectly fine in the present tense. Try not to confuse personal opinions as die-hard rules. I thought it worked fine, as long as she keeps the tense consistent. Thankyou for pointing out those typos!

Futurenow says...

Thank you, ED. And yes, thanks for the typo corrections.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:09 pm
EloquentDragon wrote a review...

ED here to review.

First off, this was great. You've got a great idea here, and you've kept things concise and easy to read through. There's a natural smoothness to the prose, you definitely show skill in handling this.

Nothing stood out to me grammatically, it looks solid, so the only thing I really have to comment about is this:

Juxtaposition.

Here's a definition: the fact of two things being seen or placed close together with contrasting effect.

While I do understand that you want to create and show the contrast between this man's two natures-- his killing side and his guilty side, the way you portray him makes his actions almost unbelievable. Yes, criminals justify their actions. But they can also have ulterior, deeply psychological reasons to kill as well. Putting his actions against his excuses creates a strange, almost shallow paradigm. I would personally suggest adding more of his emotions and drives towards killing.

A kill. My final kill.

Three, two, one.

Splash.

Here is what I mean. You lead up to his suicide by crafting dark, short phrases. Everything seems consistent with everything else, we know you're leading up to something big... and then you end it all with a few simple words. Almost childish words. The counting and such. To me, this sort of jarred me out of the mood and tone of the rest of the piece, although it really could just be me.

Be careful what you put in to the story. While detail and description is great, not all detail should be added. Or rather: only add the right details.

Here's what I mean:

Why do I need to kill, need to live a life in the shadows? Why not live in a nice, warm house with a nice, warm wife and some nice warm cookies just come out of the oven? I start to shake in rage just to think about it.

For example. Unless the cookies bear personal significance to the protagonist, (were cookies the reason he was driven to kill in the first place? you should probably omit. Otherwise, it creates that odd, un-syncopated juxtaposition I was talking about.

The only other thing I found a problem with was this:

“Sir, are you alright?” she asked in a high, innocent voice...

...“Please don’t hurt me. I’ve lost my Mummy but I know she is looking for me.”

What makes this girl special? Right now, she is just another, ordinary victim. But you need to justify why her existence would cause the protagonist to commit suicide. You need to make her unique, somehow convey that she speaks directly to the protag and his problems, while still retaining her naivety. This is hard to do, but right now, she seems like any other average girl/victim. Characterize, tie her to the story and the main character. Bind those knots of story tight.

So, I hope all that could be of some help.
Keep writing, you've got great taste.
~ED

Futurenow says...

Thank you so much! I sort of just wrote this story without even considering the main things you laid before me here. I think I'll keep the ending, but thank you so much for the thoughts on the details, juxtaposition, and the little girl.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:31 pm
MysteryMe wrote a review...

Wow, this piece really is striking to me. The story itself is so fascinating, you could be a horrible writer and still make it work. It's thrilling and emotional and in a somewhat weird way, relatable. Great job, just great job. There were barely any grammer or spelling mistakes that I could find. There are parts in the story where you could make the words flow a little more smoothly, but honestly its not enough of a flaw to make me point it out. Impressive :).

The person who has no opinion will seldom be wrong.
— Anonymous