z

Young Writers Society


12+

Calypso

by Elinor


A revision of an earlier poem

-

My hero, why do you lie in the waves?

Your breath is shallow and your face is red.

What strange and horrid terrors have you faced?

Take my hand and I'll get you to a bed,

A quiet place for you to heal and rest,

Don’t cry; I don't know if I could bear it.

My hero, they say you are the best.

My friend, the way for you is brightly lit.

Do you not see the glittering white sand,

The turquoise waves and the blooming flowers?

Long ago I was banished to this land.

Here eternal peace is in your power.

Please don't ever leave; I have been too much alone.

Your departure would hurt me to the bone.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
508 Reviews


Points: 11370
Reviews: 508

Donate
Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:40 am
dragonfphoenix wrote a review...



Knight Dragon here to review for the Knights of the Green Room.
All right, this is the first line that jarred the flow. "Don’t cry; I don't know if I could bear it." I was flowing smoothly, but the abruptness of this line just grounded me so fast I felt planted. I don't know why, but it felt like it was flowing smoothly, and then someone reached up and grabbed my ankles and pulled me out of the clouds. So maybe consider the reading flow here.
This was the other line that really stuck out to me. "Please don't ever leave; I have been too much alone." The "ever leave" felt like it should have been "leave ever", but that may just be me.
Hope this helps!
In loyal service to writers, Knight Dragon.




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:33 pm
View Likes
Rydia wrote a review...



Hi Eli! Knight Rydia is here to defend the land and review poetry in the name of The Knights of the Green Room!

Specifics

1. The first line is lovely and sets the scene well while drawing your reader in. The second line is a little stiff and ordinary though. I'd suggest playing with the words a little, maybe use an interesting adjective like:

Your breath is shallow, your face carnelian red.

Here are some more red shades if you're not sure about that one:http://advancedhairstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Red-Hair-Shades-Light-Red-Hair-Color-Dark-Red-Hair-Color.jpg

2.

Do you not see the glittering white sand,

The turquoise waves and the blooming flowers?


I think this would be better phrased as a statement instead of a question. The speaker keeps changing between being questioning and being directive. I think it would be more consistent to start with that question at the beginning, but then build into the imperative tone that you have in phrases like 'take my hand' and 'I'll get you to bed'. I also think blooming flowers is too vague. Again, just a suggestion because I'm better at showing a fix than explaining it, but maybe something like:

Ahead you see the white Sahara sand,
the turquoise wave, below the pink sea flower.

Overall

I love what you're doing here, with the hero so close to death and the lovely imagery, but your word choice is a little throw away in places and you rhythm is very off beat. Hannah gives some great advice on that and points out the section I most struggled to read in her review below, so I won't go into it. Instead I'll just say that the ideas you're playing with are lovely and if you can fix the structure and think a little more carefully on each of your words, I think you'll have a striking poem.

Heather xx




User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:17 pm
View Likes
Hannah wrote a review...



Hey, Elinor! Here to represent our lovely Knights with a review for your entry in the contest.
So here's what I have for you. Keep in mind I'm going to be reading this without looking up the Calypso myth-- just reading it as it is.

The first four lines are filled with lovely, concrete plot and imagery, definitely helped along by the bright color red and the texture of waves -- especially the gesture of the hero lying face down. This an extremely strong opening. The glittering sand later in the poem is also strong as a concrete image, and for some reason I feel like this strong and epic of a poem would do well to be accompanied by such strength the entire way through. Lines with only abstraction like "Here eternal peace is in your power" feel too weak contrasted to the strong lines.

The biggest issue with loving this poem, though, is the rhythm and meter. It might because just earlier I was going through KB articles and found mine, but I think where I talk about rhyme could be useful to you here, especially where I reference something I discovered while writing my own poem. So what I'm referring to is "imperfect rhyme", where technically the words rhyme, but the stress is on different parts of the words, so it doesn't really work, like you have here:

Don’t cry; I don't know if I could bear it.

My hero, they say you are the best.

My friend, the way for you is brightly lit.


Between BEAR it and BRIGHTly LIT. Mix this imperfect rhyme with meter that doesn't quite stay consistent (and I have to always remind myself that FORCING words to read in the meter I'm trying to write DOES NOT make them work! haha), and the poem feels off-kilter. D: Luckily, this poem isn't so tight that you don't have room to rework it. You do! I know you've already edited it, but if you're interested, you could definitely do so again to try to get the meter and stuff perfect.

Anyway, I love the bright and concrete images in this poem, as I said before. The overwhelming image that is still staying with me is the character lying face down in the sand as waves was up around him. Powerful!

Lemme know if you have any questions about my review, love! :)




User avatar
241 Reviews


Points: 286
Reviews: 241

Donate
Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:53 pm
Jonathan wrote a review...



Hello Elinor.

Hmm. This well written, I am guwssing that you got this from PJATO.

I don't think you should have put"Do you not see the glittering white sand, " But otherwise this poem is very very nice and well written almost every word makes sense and fits and is good as far as I know that is maybe it isn't though.

Loveley poem it fits everything I have heared about Calypso.

~Jonathan~




User avatar
621 Reviews


Points: 4984
Reviews: 621

Donate
Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:59 am
Rook wrote a review...



Hello Eli~
This was a lovely poem.
These are some things I liked about it:
-I really like the story. I know this comes from the Greek story, and that's one of my very favorite myths. I think this adds color and emotion to the story.
-I love your descriptions and imagery. Especially the colors and the descriptions of nature. I think you should add more of these descriptions of a perfect, blossoming, paradise if you do add more. For example, is this the bright, light beauty of spring, the heavy, practically tangible beauty of summer... or something more ethereal...?
-I'm going to say this again, I really feel like you added to the Calypso story while not actually adding information. I feel like I gained a new understanding of this girl and her emotions.
-I liked the structure of you lines, and the punctuation.

Some things I didn't like:
-What is that link? I am confused.
-I liked the subtle rhyming towards the beginning (at first I didn't know it rhymed) but after the beginning, most of the rhymes felt forced to me. I didn't feel like this was a poem that really needed rhymes. It would be just as beautiful, and maybe more powerful without them. You would be less limited in your word choice.
-That being said, with your rhymes, I felt that you needed some kind of rhythm. If you didn't have rhymes... I dunno how I would feel about this, but with them, I'd think about adding some.

I liked this poem :D
Good job, Keep Writing!

~fortis




Rook says...


I just noticed another link to nothing in someone else's poem, so it must be a glitch. If you can't see it for some reason, your word "power" was linked to this poem. Don't worry about it too much.



User avatar
332 Reviews


Points: 10657
Reviews: 332

Donate
Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:47 pm
Blackwood wrote a review...



Wow, I really like this poem, good work. I have always admired the ancient myths and legends of ancient Greek culture.

Your hands are bruised, blooded.

Just in this line I feel like you need an extra syllable, as I read it I felt like the rhythm cut short, so even adding something as simple as 'and', 'bruised and blooded' would add in that I feel is absent.

I'll get you to a bed,

The rest of your poem is quite descriptive and beautiful but I feel like saying 'a bed' is quite bland in comparison, the whole line seems to lack the previous rhythm. I think putting an adjective before bed to double as a metaphor and rephrase the first half could give you more meaning and help maintain the flow.

I really like the imagery in the second half of the poem, it really gives a ocean-like feel and images of clear crystalline seas are bought to mind
Good job.




User avatar
110 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 110

Donate
Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:22 am
View Likes
ImHero wrote a review...



Hello, hero here.

You are a fantastic writer.

With that said I am not quite sure the syllables satisfy the rules of the sonnet but it has been a long time since I wrote one so sorry if they do.
i.e.
Your hands are bruised, blooded.

Seems much like 9 syllables and I believe it should be 10.

Also, the rhyme gets a bit messed up here. Should be ryhmeing with waves or vise-versa
_

Parts of this poem seemed forced due to the structural rules of the sonnet as-well..
i.e.
Your breath is shallow, food you cannot taste.

'food you cannot taste' just doesn't stand alone very well in your split up line.
_
I think you kinda leave the next lines with little explanation.

Don’t cry; I know something that cannot be said.
_
I also think you leave to much to unanswered questions. Like why or how you where banished. If its already a story that's still a problem because your poem doesn't stand by yourself and it really should.

___

The way you write, however, is simply eloquent. I think firstly the sonnet was not the best choice for a re-write unless it is perfect. The sonnet doesn't leave too much room to work with, and I think you need some of that room to just say what you need too. That's the real flaw I see in this poem. I think its great, personally, because of the way you wrote it.

I hope you understand, this review was written with love-

-hero




Elinor says...


Thank you very much! :) I chose a sonnet because it was a school assignment, and the free form version of the poem was already fourteen lines! I thought I might also experiment with rhyme



ImHero says...


Your welcome.
Rhyme is difficult. Even when you think you get it right someone will think you forced it, :). The sonnet is also very hard, I personally think they don't flow very well unless you get it perfect, and famous poets sometimes cannot even get them right.



User avatar
132 Reviews


Points: 669
Reviews: 132

Donate
Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:14 am
Legibletext wrote a review...



Ahhhh Greek mythology, such romantic stuff. I love it.

Perhaps my love of the stuff is making me biased, but i just loved this poem. It was cutting, it was sweet, and the rhythm of it was just perfect.

You seemed to have nice punctuation to, and grammar wasn't too off.

My favourite line: "But do you see the glittering white sand,

The turquoise waves and the blooming flowers?"

This line caued me to visualise beauty through flowers. Heheh.

Legy.




User avatar
122 Reviews


Points: 249
Reviews: 122

Donate
Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:04 am
aouther2b wrote a review...



I like this piece a lot and I'm so excited to review it.

What I liked:

1. The story. You kept true to the greek myth, but put a beautiful take on it. Great work.

2. The flow. You did a great job creating this as a sonnet. It didn't seem choppy and read so well.

3. The imagery. You did really well planting images in my head. They were very direct.

What I didn't like:

1. The language. I think while you were descriptive you were very direct. Your words didnt posses the elegance that I think this poem deserves. Try finding other words for things like blooming white and blood.

Overall:
You did very well in capturing the beginning of the story of Calyspo and her interactions with Odyseus. Great work!





You're a hairy, wizard!
— EllieMae