z

Young Writers Society



Dream and Reality: Chapter 1, Part 1

by GoldFlame


When I regained consciousness, my eyes were sealed shut. I strained against invisible straps, ripping the tape off three tubes.

Footsteps. Panic fluttered in my heart as I realized that only one ear was able to absorb the sound.

"It's a little dark in here, isn't it?" Her voice reverberated throughout the room. Harsh, brutal. Inhuman.

Light pierced my pupils, red and yellow from behind my eyelids. Twisting into my brain like a blunt needle. I tore off more tubes in paroxysms of agony, screaming through a gag.

"That hurts?" She laughed demoniacally. "Blinding...after laying in total darkness?"

The gag was pulled from my mouth, leaving me free to speak. I didn't dare utter a sound, nor did I move. Fear had immobilized me, frozen my limbs in place. Nothing, nothing but the thundering of my heart, shattered the silence.

Until she parted her lips.

"I don't want information, in case that's what you were wondering."

Then with a stab of revulsion, I felt her clammy fingers on my face. Poking into my eyes, pressing down on my cheek. What was she doing? Get. Away. From. Me. I reflexively drew on my source of power, trying to summon magic. Nothing happened, as I expected; all magic was dampened in this building.

So I tried to shout at her, but only a groan scraped my throat.

Her chuckle sounded like a choir of snakes.

"Yes, you'll do fine."

My eyes flew open. I expected the monster to be leering down at me; instead, a bedroom met my gaze. Spacious but cozy, with a braided rug covering most of the floor. Sunbeams filtered through a skylight window, the diluted gray of dawn.

My pulse rate gradually decreased. She's not here, Kira. She's dead; it was just a dream.

I leapt off my cot (it creaked loudly in protest) and crossed over to the mirror. An average girl blinked back at me. Ivory hue, auburn hair cascading down her shoulders. Her face might have passed for pretty if not so pallid, or if there weren't purple bags under her eyes.

The height of an eleven-year-old, the intellect of a girl far older. I was, in fact, thirteen, but Javulans matured at a faster rate than mortals.

A loud curse from the hallway made me jump back in surprise. Pain flared in my thigh as I bumped the nightstand.

"Kira?"

I croaked in response.

"Sorry, I'd stubbed my toe." Scarlet entered without permission, tripping over a hundred things on the way. "What are you doing up?"

"Nightmare. I was about to ask the same of you."

"Well, I bedded down earlier than usual. I'm gonna see if I can catch a decent show on TV. Want to join me?"

The corners of my lips twitched. "No thanks. I think I'll walk around the woods."

"You're already becoming a senior citizen, Kira," she said. "Waking up early and taking walks. Avoiding the television."

I laughed humorlessly and descended the stairs with her.

***

A breeze whispered through the copse; the trees sighed, swaying to the rhythm of its song. It felt like bliss on my face--cold, crisp air that wasn't generated by an AC. Also faintly redolent of wood smoke, ripening fruit and withering leaves...

Autumn. Everything's demise, and one of the most beautiful seasons. I thought of foliage, blushing a pretty gold before dying. Were humans a bit like that?

My feet wandered towards the brook, always a merry thing. The water greeted me with a cheerful gurgle.

I peeled off shoes and socks and dipped my toes in. The initial reaction was a shiver, but my body slowly became accustomed to the temperature. For a while I just sat there, meditating. Then a low growl disturbed the peace of the woods.

I jumped up with the reflexes of a warrior. The growl definitely belonged to a canine. Well, I could deal with a wolf.

Except that this wasn't a normal wolf. Its coat was satiny black, and its irises were a mismatched red and yellow. It paced back and forth as if protecting something, with its teeth bared in a snarl. I stopped dead in my tracks, contemplating my next action.

I didn't want to startle it, but I had to move eventually. Slowly, like I was sculpting the air, I tiptoed towards the path. The wolf's eyes were burning into my back. Then it lunged.

Its grip was so tight that I had to grapple with it. The canine's strength barely exceeded mine, and it was tiring quickly. Still, it wouldn't go down without a fight.

Time to resort to magic. I tapped into my power and intended to drown him in earth, but the wolf shot a counter-spell back. Unfortunately, we now matched each other in magical and physical ability. Someone come. Anyone come.

Given up already, Azan?

I was startled into relinquishing my hold. The wolf's eyes gazed steadily into mine, and they glittered with human intelligence. Am I going mad, or is it really capable of telepathic communication?

Who are you calling an "it?"

There was something faintly familiar about his voice, but I couldn't quite place it...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
179 Reviews


Points: 22652
Reviews: 179

Donate
Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:31 am
Magenta says...



Great job with this. You are a great writer! ;)




GoldFlame says...


:shocked:

Thanks...this was from ages ago...



GoldFlame says...


Oops. I meant :shock:.

Haha, just realized - you targeted the *don't read* section of my portfolio.



User avatar


Points: 328
Reviews: 2

Donate
Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:42 pm
Trudeau44 wrote a review...



I really enjoyed reading your story. It sounds like it's going to be an interesting read, but you should consider changing a few things for example: "My pulse rate gradually decreased" it would sound better if you said "My pulse gradually decrease". Also when you say "Harsh, brutal. Inhuman." you should have gone Harsh, brutal, inhuman.

All in all, it look to be a very interesting read. I look forward to reading the next chapter.
Sincerely Trudeau44




GoldFlame says...


Thanks for the review! You definitely deserve points for writing it, so remember to click the "yes/no" button before submission! About the "Harsh, brutal. Inhuman" thing...your suggestion is perfect for a poem (I'd love to see some of your poetry, by the way), but do you think it's grammatically incorrect for a novel chapter?



Trudeau44 says...


No I don't think it's incorrect I just picky that way :)



User avatar
508 Reviews


Points: 11170
Reviews: 508

Donate
Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:34 pm
dragonfphoenix wrote a review...



That was very interesting, and I couldn't help but like it since I like the name Kira. But there are a few narrative things that I think could be improved.
Starting with "I slid off my mattress and crossed over to the door mirror" I felt you could have used another phrase behind 'door mirror' to draw attention to the fact that you're transitioning out of the dream (or vision, whatever it is). I didn't pick up on that, and thought the girl being described was someone else in the room. It wasn't until after I reread the paragraph trying to pick out the confusing sentences that I realized you were describing Kira. And then "A loud curse made me jump back in surprise. Pain flared in my thigh as I bumped the nightstand." ??? You say nothing about her moving around at all, but suddenly there's a nightstand and she's cursing because she bumped into it? Why did she bump into it? I can understand the style, and it's fine if you keep that sentence that way, but if you do please go back and describe the room in a little more detail; readers need more description. Ditto for Kira's bed. She's in a bedroom, yes, and it's assumed that a bedroom has a bed, but could you at least describe it a little bit? Suggestion: have Kira sit up and glance over her bed, then look around the room before getting up. But to go back to the nightstand, if you keep the sentence that way please tell us why she bumped into it. Now this next part was the most confusing section in the chapter.

"Kira?"

I croaked in response.

Who is the speaker? I know people (or Javulans) don't typically give a 'response' unless they've been spoken to first, but it almost felt like she was croaking "Kira" in response to something [like running into the nightstand]. And then this speaker is somewhat important in that there's a mini-conversation that goes on, and it appears Kira is friends with this other girl. What's her name? What does she look like? Does she come into the room, or are they just speaking to each other through the door? Does the door even get opened at all? Those are just a few of the questions that need to be answered with more description.
Ibid Olive's statement that the time period needs to be talked about a little more. Is this a blend of "ancient"/modern? Or do they just carry knives and such to protect themselves? Is there an age restriction for who can carry a gun (since Kira's thirteen, it would make sense that she's probably not old enough to carry).
Last major glaring thing I found. With the wolf scene, she's struggling with the wolf and then, all of the sudden, "Hey, they both can use magic." ??? Really? You should have at least introduced the magical abilities concept in the italics section. If Kira's really flailing around and panicking like you're describing, then she should have at least thought about using her magic, if not attempted to use it. If magic is a fallback for these creatures, then that should have been brought up, dream/vision or no.
And you don't really describe what the magic is, or how it works. It's just "I'm gonna bury this wolf in dirt," and then "Ope, no, not happening. Wolfy's pretty strong." Is it a battle of the wills? Telepathic/mental struggle? What? So please describe. And then with those "Someone come. Anyone come.", you make Kira sound almost apathetic to her fate. "Oh, I need some help. Gee, I wish someone would come. Oh well, guess they're not." That's what it feels like with periods. Use some explanation points!!! They're on the keyboard for a reason! Or, they're on the keyboard for a reason. [<- has a different feel to it, doesn't it?]
And on that note, is that a telepathic cry for help? Because if it is, you should give at least one precursor sentence where Kira thinks about her telepathy.

After glancing through some of the other reviews, I realized that Scarlet is another character. Now, I will be honest and admit that when I first read through this, I thought Kira was blushing (that's just how it struck me at the time). So if you added ", my friend," or something like that after the word "Scarlet", I think that would make things a little more clear.

Hope this helps!




GoldFlame says...


Thank you so much! Now that I'm noticing these things, I think that I'll go back and edit the piece. I never realized all those mistakes before...:)



User avatar
347 Reviews


Points: 25558
Reviews: 347

Donate
Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:49 pm
OliveDreams wrote a review...



Hello there! Here to review your work on this marvellous review day! I will review as I read so that it will make a little more sense to both me and you. I tend to get mixed up otherwise.

Here goes!

“Twisting into my brain like a blunt needle.” I loved this imagery. It's powerful and kinda makes you wince for the character.

“I tore off more tubes in paroxysms of agony, screaming through a gag.” - WOAH! What an earth does paroxysms mean?! Someone's swallowed the thesaurus :) Maybe you could think about making your adjectives more accessible to every reader.

“Her chuckle sounded like a choir of snakes.” - I also love this description. It's original and clever.

WOAH! Where did the attacker go?! I'm already really interested in knowing what on earth is going on here. Great job in grabbing the readers attention and keeping it.

I'm not really sure I like the way that chapter 1 seems to be totally unrelated to chapter 2. I also would like to know what time zone this is set in! It has T.Vs but then young girls go around carrying hunting knives with them?

I'm dying to know who this scarlet character is as well who just randomly popped up!

Good Luck! I look forward to reading some more soon!

Olive <3




GoldFlame says...


Thank you so much! I definitely get what you're saying, and I think that I'll work more on developing my characters (as well as establishing the time period)...



User avatar
532 Reviews


Points: 27927
Reviews: 532

Donate
Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:36 pm
ArcticMonkey wrote a review...



Hi Gold!

Aaaah do you know how much I hate it when I'm reading something in a story then it turns out to be a dream? No I'm just kidding I don't hate it, but it always leaves me a bit confused, which is good! I think a real strong point in Part 1 of this was your descriptions of the dream. I genuinely felt a bit scared for this girl even though I know nothing about her, that's great! Also I think generally this is written pretty well. I was engaged in it the whole time, and it's left me with a lot of questions!

As for improvements, I think it's more that part 1 is really good and then part 2 falls flat a bit. I think a reason for this is there isn't as much descriptions in the second half and I got a bit confused. Is she in some sort of field? I think this could've been described in loads more detail because I know you can describe in good detail! Maybe also use the five senses to describe what's going on.

Another thing is I didn't realise that this story was going to include magic in it and it's kind of just thrown into the story. I think this needs to be properly introduced and described a bit more because magic isn't exactly the type of thing that's in the norm, and people aren't expecting it, it also leaves me feeling a bit confused. So, maybe you could just add in a bit more info about why there's magic, who's got magic etc.

Also, I'd like to see more description about the wolf-like creature right at the end, because I wasn't quite sure what it was. Perhaps a bit more of an explanation about why she can take on a wolf and not this thing. You have to remember that when you're writing this, you may know about these details but the readers only know as much as you tell them!

Overall, this is good, please let me know when you post up some more! I hope this review helped, feel free to PM me with any questions you have or if you'd like anotehr review on anything.

Keep writing!
~ArcticMonkey x




GoldFlame says...


Hey, you're right--I never realized some of those things before :)! I'll edit the piece...and maybe think up a prologue?



User avatar
56 Reviews


Points: 1064
Reviews: 56

Donate
Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:35 am
AmethystNight wrote a review...



This is good and your story is intriguing. I can't wait to find out more about this world that you've created and I looooooooove magic, so when she started casting spells I was jumping for joy. I'll just outline a few grammatical points that you may want to give a look.

"It's a little dark in here, isn't it?" Her voice reverberated throughout the room.
When writing speech, if you have a bit of speech followed by a statement describing who said it, that is all one sentence and, therefore, the 'Her' should have a lowercase letter because you shouldn't have a capitol letter in the middle of a sentence.
Light pierced my pupils, red and yellow from behind my eyelids. Twisting into my brain like a blunt needle.

Here, the second sentence doesn't make sense because it doesn't have a subject. You could just add it to the end of the first sentence with a comma.
Also, these chapters seem to fit together very well and I think that you should just combine them into one chapter. The last little improvement that I would suggest is to describe to fight scene more. Depict the spell she uses and how exactly the canine counters it. Does she get injured? Does she injure it?
Apart from that the writing here is great - you have a very interesting style and you’re good at depicting the emotions of your character just make sure that that doesn't take away from your description.
Happy writing.




GoldFlame says...


Thanks, that was really helpful; I'll be sure to smooth things out!





A comment on Amethyst's review. With the "Twisting into my brain like a blunt needle.", that's a fragment, but technically acceptable. Now, removing the period from the previous sentence and replacing it with a comma makes the entire thing a sentence (but a bit wordy), however fragments can be used for emphasis in narratives. It's actually a style issue here, not a Grammar issue.
Example of a published work that uses this technique? The Hunger Games Trilogy. So just because it's "incorrect grammar" doesn't mean it won't be successful. Hope this helps!



GoldFlame says...


Ha. Yes, Suzanne Collins does use that technique a lot! To be honest, it used to irk me, but I've kind of grown used to it.



User avatar
189 Reviews


Points: 398
Reviews: 189

Donate
Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:54 am
manisha wrote a review...



Hi Flame!
manisha here to review!
Firstly, I think you do not need to make this as two chapters. It is perfect length for a single chapter.

Maybe you are trying to be vague here and not give away much right away. I love that but I find it strange that when Kira wakes up from her dream she has no thoughts about it. You do not necessarily have to tell us what the significance of the dream is but it will be better if you add a thought or two on how Kira reacts after she wakes up from the dream. Is she scared? Is her heart beating wildly as an aftermath of the dream(if it was a nightmare).

A loud curse made me jump back in surprise. Pain flared in my thigh as I bumped the nightstand.

"Kira?"

I croaked in response.

"Sorry, I'd stubbed my toe." Scarlet entered without permission, tripping over a hundred things on the way. "What are you doing up?"

It could just be me but I'm kinda confused here. Who says 'Kira'. It is Scarlet who stubbed her toe? Maybe that is why she cursed out loud. Or is it Kira? When she jumped.

Other than that I think this is a great chapter with a good story plot on its way. You have a very good narrating style! I enjoyed this!

-manisha




GoldFlame says...


Thanks, manisha! I'll definitely keep those comments in mind.



User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 2520
Reviews: 28

Donate
Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:28 pm
Valkyrie17 wrote a review...



Hey Valkyrie here to leave a review!

This looks to be like a promising story but it seems a bit all over the place at the moment. In terms of grammar and spelling I can't see any mistakes jumping out at me so you don't have to worry about that. I think you should make this just one chapter instead of having two really short sections.

I like what you have set up here however you should try putting in more detail to make your chapter last longer. You don't have to describe the whole story straight away yet we need a bit more detail about what is going on. Where are the characters? What kind of world is this? More description on her powers/abilities and is her friend the same as her?

You just need to flesh this piece out with some more detail to make it flow better and to give more depth to the story. If you need any helps with specific bits feel free to message me! :)

Overall, this can lead to be a great story and I am looking forward to reading more.
~ Valkyrie




GoldFlame says...


Thanks! I really appreciate the advice, and I'll be sure to edit the piece!



Trudeau44 says...


I really enjoyed reading your story. It sounds like it's going to be an interesting read, but you should consider changing a few things for example: "My pulse rate gradually decreased" it would sound better if you said "My pulse gradually decrease". Also when you say "Harsh, brutal. Inhuman." you should have gone Harsh, Brutal, Inhuman.

All in all, it look to be a very interesting read I look forward to the next chapter.



GoldFlame says...


Thanks for commenting. Whoa, I feel like that novel was from a long while back...I hope that I've improved since then!




"You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things..."
— Gone With the Wind