Fantasticas: The Boy And His Staff

by Roundsquare

The rain was unforgiving; for three days it pummelled the residents of Martin's Peak. It started out like any other with a bang, thunder lightning strong winds by the second day it was a full blown storm. The weatherman called her gwen. had turned the streets into rivers of mud and by the third day the town looked lie a slice of Venice. It was brought on by Gwen, a category 3 storm. The weatherman described her as the worst storm in a century. Everynight with childlike fascination rather than with the seriousness something of its destructive nature and magnitude deserved he would describe its progress and latest victims to whoever was still left in the little town. 

"She is only heating up, ladies and gentleman, so if you haven't already, pack up and leave, now." This were the parting words to his latest update. 

Theresa May heard those words, but didn't act on them, she didn't want to and wasn't going to, she had invested too deeply in this place and felt like a betrayal if  part and parcel of it.

was one such resident, she was sitting in her living room window and weeping for her rose garden, ten years of hard work and diligence gone just like that. The water was so violent so frightening she could have been staring at the amazon river. It was a frightening ancient force.

The streets had become rivers of mud, washing away whatever wasn't secured in the ground. Unfortunately, for Theresa May this included her Ford, her rose garden and her garden chairs and table. She sat in the window of her living room and wept for her rose garden,

it felt especially like one for Mr. Green who found himself caught in the downpour just as he set out for home, after spending the day selling corn at the city. By the time his donkey rode into his farmyard he looked like someone who'd been mud wrestling with a pig. Parking the beast in the stable he made a bee line for the farmhouse holding sacks of unsold, and now soggy and useless corn. The kitchen door was open but instead of escaping inside he waited outside and spied on his wife who was too busy mopping the floor to notice his tired red eyes peeking at her from the side of the door. Mr. Green looked around the kitchen, it was cluttered as usual. But it was the big black pot steaming by the fireplace that caught Mr. Green's attention. He took in a huge lungful of what was cooking in it. It smelled sweet and peppery like... lamb stew! Only his favorite dish ever. He grabbed his belly and massaged it gently as he looked at the pot longingly. 

As eager as he was to wolf up the contents of the pot there was something else consuming his mind. It had everything to do with the little tin box tugged underneath his arm pit. 

He jiggled the rusty old thing and grinned like an excited school boy as he listened to the little gold nuggets rustling inside. The box was filled to the brim with them. The shiniest smoothest little objects the old man had ever seen.

This gold could be the answer to a poor farmers prayers but it could also very well be his demise, because as the elders say, treachery, deceit and malice is never too far away from great wealth. He stumbled across the gold after his mule fell into a hole not long after leaving the city. He almost didn't spot the brown box because it looked just like the surrounding mud. Someone must have buried and forgotten about it. But as the saying goes, losers weepers, finders keepers.

Mr. Green was very excited but he was even more nervous for what if someone, someone with a greedy heart and murderous intentions saw him and followed him back to his farm? The possibility unsettled him to no end. For the umpteenth time he looked around him and over his shoulders, like before there was no one there, just the black mountains surrounding his farm and beyond them in the distance the sun setting over the great towers of Northern Stone/Nordingstone. 

For a split second in his excitement Mr Green had the stupid idea of sharing his find with his wife but then reason kicked in. Telling his wife would be the biggest mistake of his life yet because the old hack couldn't keep her yap shut about anything, before he knows it every desperato in Northern Stone and beyond would be after is treasure and it could not have that.

The best thing to do for now would be to hide the gold, and so after brainstorming for a while Mr Green decided that the hole in the wall behind the drawer in the master bedroom would be the perfect hiding place, more especially since he'd  hidden things in there from his wife before.

Getting the gold into the house without his wife noticing was the next thing he had to figure out. He thought of leaving the box outside in the rain until his wife went to bed but he hated the idea for some reason. What if it vanished? He would never be able to forgive himself. is why that finished mopping by now and it put away the mob and was busy over by the pot Mr Green waited patiently still getting Soaked in the rain but not that that was but that was nothing

Mr Greens wife had stopped mopping and was over by the fireplace now, stirring the pot, it was still pouring cats and dogs and Mr Green was still in direct line of fire but he waited patiently for the perfect moment. Moments later his wife finally left the kitchen and vanished somewhere in the house. This was his chance, Mr Green thought, and without dawdling he sprang into action. He darted into the kitchen, leaving a trail of muddy shoeprints behind him. He was certain he would get killed over it but he'd worry about that later. His number one goal was to get his gold to safety. He listened for his wife before heading into the rest of the house but couldn't hear her anywhere. Perhaps she knew he was there and was hiding in the wings to surprise him or maybe she left the house to get something from the shed, perhaps she'd run out of eggs. Whatever was the case he couldn't just stand there like a log, he had to get a move on, and that's just what he did. He snuck up to the which. leads into the next room and ever so slightly stuck his head out. He was starting down a small corridor.  He could see their bedroom door at the  end of it and no sign of his wife. So far so good. With a burst of energy he positioned himslef before the bedroom door and taking a huge  sigh he opened it. 

"Agnus, you in here? I'm home." He said with a frail cracking voice. When there was no reply he advanced into the room. He wife wasn't in here as well. It was a small room filled with the sound of rain like the rest of the house.  

what did surprise the man was all the food she was cooking. It was as if she was preparing for a banquet. Fascinating, he noted.

But he couldn't loiter he was in here for a reason. He tiptoed towards the bedroom. “Egnes, I'm home,” he called out to his wife as he got nearer to the door, but she didn't reply. She didn't seem to be in the house. It was just excellent, as it meant that he could hide his gold and not worry about his wife catching him. In a few minutes he was on his knees, in front of a shadowy hole in their bedroom wall. This was the best place he could think of of hiding it. 

The box had failed to fit inside the hole, so Mr. Green emptied all of the nuggets onto a large handkerchief that he'd placed on the floor in front of him. There must have been thousands of them. Perfectly reflecting the light of the candle he was holding. He ran his fingertips over them and felt their smoothness. He smiled. They could have been tiny stones, extremely well polished ones of course. Pinching the candle with his knees, he gathered the corners of the handkerchief, and tied them together, turning the handkerchief into a nice little sack for his gold. Perfect! This would fit in the hole with no trouble. What was that? The old man heard a noise behind him and turned his head only to stumble upon the sight of his wife, standing in the doorway, hands on her hips. 

"What are you doing?" It was an easy question but the old man lips couldn't form the words to answer it.

“Is that a hole in the wall?” his wife said curiously, walking in with her arms dangling on the sides of her body. Mr. Green hurriedly shoved the gold into the space under the drawer he had pushed away from the hole, as she approached. He then leaped to his feet with a smile. 

He could only gasp as looked for something intelligent to say, “It is in deed. So funny My ring had fallen behind the drawer -”

“Oh!” His wife interjected with an astonished stare, she touched her own ring. It was nothing outlandish; just a strip with a fading shine, but she adored it, all the same. Her love had given it to her.

Mr. Green thought her reaction was a little over the top. “Yes, well anyway,” He continued, “so I move the drawer – madly heavy thing, and lo and behold there was this hole in the wall.” He looked at her with a smile. She didn't return his smile however, had she bought his story?

She breathed in, staring at the hole, “I don't like it, you need to fill it up Angus. We can't have a hole in our bedroom wall.” After speaking she stared at him with intense eyes. was she trying to tell him something? Then again, it could have been nothing. It went on like that for a few more seconds, and then she started talking again, “Anyway, food's just about ready.”

She looked at the the small rusty metal box next to him, but didn't comment on it. Her eyes wandered back to him, and then without saying another word she turned and started walking out of the room, “By the way,” She said just as she was about to leave, “Did you find it?”

The man looked at her stumped.

“The ring, did you find it?” She said, a little irritably.

Mr. Green giggled, showing her the ring on his right finger, “Thank the gods.” He sighed. His wife didn't wait around after that, and with her gone it was back to business. It made him nervous that she'd discovered his spot, but the fact that she'd have to go through a  very heavy drawer, gave him some comfort. Shoving the gold filled sack into the back of the hole, he pushed the drawer across it, and then stood. Wiping the dirt from his knees. The metal box was still on the ground so he picked it up and put it inside the drawer, before finally leaving the room to join his wife in the kitchen for dinner. They were having freshly baked bread, a fried pig's head, and a nice hot vegetable soup. It was a meal fit for royalty. He wondered what the occasion was.

“Ready to tell me what this is all about? Are we celebrating something?” He asked. His wife looked at him with disappointment. She quietly twirled her ring around her finger, then said with a sigh,  “On this day, some fifty years ago, you sat me by the brook that ran behind my Father's cottage in Lickefry, and you said three words to me, three simple but wonderful words..."

"Oh, my dearest!" The old man cried, with a pained stare.

"How could you forget?” His wife demanded softly.

Mr. Green gaped at her. Red like an apple! Lips quivering with no sound. His wife stood up at that moment, and moved her weight across the room towards their bedroom, behind her Mr. Green leaped from his seat.

“I'm so sorry dear.” He said as he approached her inside the room with open arms, "I-I really don't know what to say."

"Have you been drinking?"

Before another word could be spoken by either of them, a noise filled the room. It sounded like gravel hitting a hard surface.

“What's that noise.” His wife inquired raising her eyebrows, and pinning her ears back for better hearing.

“I'm not sure” Mr. Green replied nervously.

“It's coming from your drawer.” She looked at him curiously.

“Impossible.” Mr. Green protested.

“Yes it is.” She shot back.

“What are you doing?” Mr. Green asked his wife as she stepped over the mattress they slept on towards his drawer.

“What does it look like I'm doing? I'm going to take a look.” Before he could stop her, she opened the drawer and lid up its inside with the candle she was holding. Her eyes swelled, so did those of the man behind her. Gold nuggets, hundreds of them, were spilling out from the metal box. They just kept coming out until the drawer was full of them, they spilled out onto the floor, then, just like that they stopped.

His wife turned to him and said, “What's going on Angus?”

“I'm not sure but I think you and I are going to be Lord and lady.” He replied in a half whisper.

Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:13 am
Basil wrote a review...

Hello Roundsquare!!
I'm happy to say I enjoyed this! And yeah, my suspicions were right. I've read this chapter before. I think. Either way, I love it ^^ Your style of writing is good. Very captivating. I love how you draw the reader in with inquisition. The way you describe things is very well done. Not so much that the reader gets lost in the purpose of the paragraph, but not so little that the reader is confused about the details. Sometimes, though, less is better, or more is required. For this chapter, you've done a great job :D The relationship between Angus and Egnes is a little hazy ... but I guess it'll make more sense with in the next few chapters. And the gold!! Ooo! The ... the ... I can't find the right word at the moment ... but it's ... intriguing? Well, this whole chapter is done so very well. The dialogue is good, too. Not too formal ... although I have to say one thing ... because the characters seem to be living in poor conditions ... how is it that they speak as though well educated peoples? Unless they were forced into their lifestyle? Eh, I'm just pointing it out. And this is from what I've read ... not really from reading other reviews ... should I have done that first?

Anyway! Now onto some quick editing. There were only a few minor things I picked up on, like a repeated word, or lack of commas ... apart from that, there isn't too much I need to focus on. Good paragraph structuring, good dialogue, good spelling and very captivating style :3

"... can box ..." In the first paragraph, second last line. To me, it would have been better put as 'tin box'. However, that's just me. Not suggesting you change that.

"... and saw all that gold it in." Umm ... in it? Don't worry, I do the same thing ... sometimes mixing letters up in words XD

"... to his all his prayers he though." I assume that's supposed to just be "to all his prayers, he thought"?

"... what it it wasn't just his mind ..." "if it"?

"He assumed she was in the house, since he could smell her cooking, and see the smoke coming out of the chimney. She was making something that made his belly growl ravenously. He pried open the door and stood in the doorway, but there was no sign of his wife in the kitchen. “Egnes!” he called out to her. He scraped his filthy boots over the doormat, more out of habit than anything else, and entered the warm kitchen. “I'm home.”" When using dialogue, you have a paragraph separate for it. So it should look a little something like this:
"He assumed she was in the house, since he could smell her cooking, and see the smoke coming out of the chimney. She was making something that made his belly growl ravenously. He pried open the door and stood in the doorway, but there was no sign of his wife in the kitchen.
“Egnes!” he called out to her. He scraped his filthy boots over the doormat, more out of habit than anything else, and entered the warm kitchen. “I'm home.”"

"“Is that a hole in the wall?” his wife said curiously, walking in with her arms dangling on the sides of her body. Mr. Green hurriedly shoved the gold into the space under the drawer he had pushed away from the hole, as she approached. He then leaped to his feet with a smile, “Why yes, it actually is.” He gasped, lost for words, “I-I just actually found out about it. My ring had fallen behind the drawer -”" Just a couple of grammatical errors and once again with the dialogue ...new paragraph when different characters speak. ^^ So it should look like this:
"“Is that a hole in the wall?” His wife asked curiously, walking in with her arms dangling at the sides of her body. Mr. Green hurriedly shoved the gold into the space under the drawer he had pushed away from the hole, as she approached. He then leaped to his feet with a smile.
“Why yes, it actually is,” he gasped, lost for words, “I-I just actually found out about it. My ring had fallen behind the drawer -”"

"“What's is it with all the food?” He asked. His wife looked at him with disappointment. She toyed with her ring, twirling it around and around her finger and then finally said, “It's our anniversary Angus. How could you forget?”" Same as before.
"“What's it with all the food?” He asked. His wife looked at him with disappointment.
She toyed with her ring, twirling it around and around her finger and then finally said, “It's our anniversary Angus. How could you forget?”"

Overall, I enjoyed reading this!! Well done! A fantastic piece of writing, good chapter. Keep up the amazing work, and I hope I helped :)

Thanks for getting me to read this, too :3

Basil.

Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:58 am
Burrow wrote a review...

Jack here for a review.

There really isn't much that I could fix considering how much you have edited it, and how many reviews you have received, but anyway I will give it a go, and say what I thought of the story instead.

I liked this, it was really well written, it is funny at times, and it is quirky, and I can see you taking this story anywhere. You wanted me to write a good review, but with ten reviews there really isn't anything I could fix, except maybe a few times you use stuff or things, when you could use a proper word. But other wise, this story is actually really well written, there is nothing I can fix.

So all I can say is that you did a good job, and I liked reading this, so very much. Thanks for sharing this with me. It was a delight to read. Its a thumbs up from me!! and remember always keep writing.

Have a great day!!

Jack

Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:09 am
artemis15sc wrote a review...

Hey there, let me start with what I love.

I like that you made the setting, characters, and situation so clear, but while weaved it naturally into the story. I got that this story has an Irish feel, features an old man who's been married t0 his wife for a while, and has just come into a large sum of gold. (Through of a leprechaun, or by non-magic means? I guess we'll see see through end makes me think magic.)

I also loved the way it was written. It light a light, almost musical feel to it, which is perfect for this kind of story.

If you're feeling risky, I would advise you to experiment even further with this musical, poetic kind of language. You might find that it makes your story even stronger. You may also find that it just doesn't work for you or your story, but you never know until you try.

I would also advise you to experiment more with description, since I feel like it has in a place in this story and writing style. You don't need to go crazy with this, just a sentence or two her or there about what the landscape looks like, and maybe more description about what the food smells and tastes like. Using all five of the senses, not just sight, makes your writing come alive and pulls the reader into the story. Of course, you don't want to evoke the five senses all the time, or your audience becomes de-sensitized and it slows down the story, but this chapter is really short, so I think you can afford to add a little bit here and there.

Let me move on to my nitpicks:

Time had robbed him not only of his hair, but his height as well. The only thing on him that was shrinking was the gray beard swallowing up the bottom half of his face.
I'm thinking "shrinking" should be "growing" and I would delete "on him" as it's unnecessary, we already know he's talking about his physical appearance.

Instead, what he did was remove the dirty, old, box, from underneath his arm and begin to admire it like it was the most precious thing in the world.
The comma after box is unnecessary.

That was what he'd been telling himself, but the thought always lingered: what it it wasn't just his mind, what if someone had in deed followed him back to the farm to kill him and take his gold?
in deed, should be indeed

“Agnes, I'm home” He called out to his wife as he got nearer to the door, but she didn't reply.
You need a comma after home. There are couple of times when you have a period her instead of a comma, but if your dialogue is followed by a dialogue tag (he said, she said, he called, she asked, etc...) then you need a comma. If it's an action tag "Agnes, I'm home." He took off his coat Then you would need a period. Also, when the dialogue tag follows a comma, it shouldn't be capitalized, so it should be "he called out..."

If this didn't make sense let me know and I'll try to clarify.

What was that.
First, I think this is a question, so it needs a question mark. Second, what was what? You need to give us this detail otherwise this part doesn;t make sense.

Third, I would start this detail, a banging noise, a voice, a flash of movement or whatever it was, as a new paragraph, followed by the statement. What was that?

Mr. Green hurriedly shoved the gold into the space under the drawer he had pushed away from the hole, as she approached.
you don't need the comma after hole.

He then leaped to his feet with a smile, “Why yes, it actually is.” He gasped, lost for words, “I-I just actually found out about it. My ring had fallen behind the drawer -”
This part confused me, at first he was smiling, then he was gasping. What made him change? Did he lose his train of thought? Forget what he was going to say? Lose his nerve? Whatever it is, you need to make it clearer.

She didn't return his smile however, and Mr. Green wondered if she'd bought his story.
I have a personal pet peeve against the word wondered. I prefer turning it into a direct question. "Had she bought his story?" It uses less words and gets to the point faster. However, wondered works well if your character is thinking about more than just one question, so it depends on how you want this to read. However, you use the word wondered three times, so I would suggest changing at least one or two to a direct question.

It went on like that for a few more seconds, and then she started talking again, “Anyway,” She said changing her tone, “food's just about ready, so get ready.
Sometimes you "over-tag" your dialogue. One you've established a character's speaking, you don't need to establish it again unless you're giving new information. For example, since you wrote, "she started talking" you don't need "she said." It could be: “Anyway,” she changed her tone, “food's just about ready, so get ready."

Also, in this case, I think "changed her tone" is unnecessary, since it's clear from her words that her tone has changed. Let the dialogue speak for itself! (Pun intended)

Mr. Green sighed, with a smile, he lifted his fingers and showed her his ring, and then added, “Thank the gods.”
There's some comma splicing happening her. Change the comma after sighed to a period.

She toyed with her ring, twirling it around and around her finger and then finally said, “It's our anniversary Angus.
It's doesn't need to capitalized since it's following the word said.

“I'm so sorry dear.”
Comma after sorry.

Two things: Consider putting direct character thoughts in italics. You did a good job of noting when there were direct character thoughts, but italics could make it an even smoother read.

Also, be careful of wordiness. Sometimes really powerful sentences get weighed down with weak, unnecessary words, which automatically weakens your sentence. Work on rephrasing so you use less "weak words" (weak words are non-noun, verb, or adjective/adverbs, though you should also keep your adjectives and adverbs to a minimum)

I'm also not sure how to feel about the beginning. It was definitely effective, I'm just not sure it's the strongest beginning of your book. Unfortunately, I'm blanking on what would be stronger. My advise is this: if you happen to come up with a brilliant new opening, then go with that, otherwise leave it as is, because it is good.

Another thing I forgot to mention. I think you've got dialogue down. These character definitely read as an old married couple, but not in a cliche way. In a realistic, could clearly picture them kind of way.

Thanks for sharing!

-Art

Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:08 am
bluewaterlily wrote a review...

Hi, Roundsquare. Here as requested.

So I guess I will start off with the opening paragraph. Well you certainly have an interesting introductory sentence. I really enjoyed the description of "fizzing with anticipation." Really cool word choice. But I think you should backtrack when you mention Mr. Green om danger of slipping it's all of sudden you mention that it's raining. So maybe just drop a hint that it's raining.

Another thing I think would help the reader is if you mention Mr. Green's age in the first few sentences. But I must say, for an old man, he seems quite spritely. xD Also, maybe describe the physical effects of aging for him, especially when he is running. Maybe this was just my own confusion, but I thought he was a young or middle aged man at first. You mention his back and him wistfully recalling his youthful days as a hunter. So maybe elaborate on that image to subtly show the transition from being young to being old.

Okay, now onto imagery. You have some solid imagery here, and while that is good, too much becomes a little redundant and interferes with the story's pacing. I also noticed you had a tendency to reuse some of the same adjectives such as filthy and old, to the point where these words become generic and have no meaning or significance to the reader. Try finding synonyms or eliminating them all together.

While we are discussing imagery, I am going to offer some advice I hope you find helpful. Verbs are just as important as adjectives and can have just as strong an impact. This is why you have to choose verbs carefully, and I personally like to use verbs that are "descriptive." Not adverbs necessarily. For example, you use the verb "walk." This is fine once or even twice, but it is overall a lackluster, weak verb. Try to go for stronger verbs that describe HOW the character walks. Stumbling? A leisurely stroll? A cocky strut? Just something to consider. Try to go beyond common verbs like walked and looked and find something with more of an impact.

One thing I noticed throughout this chapter, and in the third paragraph is the same sentence structure. You also start a lot of your sentences with "He..." or "They..." Also, some of your sentences are very long. This can be monotonous to the reader. Just try to use a little more sentence variety.

And now onto the dialogue. I liked how you showed the dynamic between wife and husband. Good use of body language.

Love the ending by the way! I am looking forward to finding out what mess Mr. Green has gotten himself into. Hope this review helps and if you have any questions, pm me.

Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:11 pm
Rin321 says...

This is a great story! Good job! It was verbs cool and thought out! 8) :)

KnightTeen wrote a review...

Thanks for the review request. Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I've been sick these past few days.

Just looking at these first few paragraphs I can tell that you are a really good writer. The imagery that you use is astounding, I have hardly ever seen such a level of descriptiveness. And the way that you describe it is just as important as the detail. I often see a lot of detail in stories, but it's really, really bland.

But you clearly and accurately describe to the reader this land and what is happening in such wonderful use of language that it is anything but bland, and makes me want to read more.

To be able to do such a thing, and have a person see it in the very beginning, is a true gift.

I'm going to stop rambling now.

but weighed several times more.

Okay, so it weighs more than an average shoe box. How exactly does the chest weigh more than the average shoe box? How can the reader see that in their head?

Is the man carrying it a certain way that indicates that it must be a bit heavy? Does he have to switch it from arm to arm so that he doesn't hurt himself?

I know I just got done praising your descriptiveness, and while here you had good imagery, you didn't give the reader any information from which to understand that the parcel was heavy.

Now, as for your story, I thought it was very good and well-written.
It's a good piece of fiction, that is for sure.

I think that maybe you could have made it a bit longer, and given the chapter a more definite ending. Right now it's kind of open and it doesn't really speak of closure or end abruptly with a lot left unsaid like a cliff-hanger would.

But other than that, I loved this story.

Happy Review Day!

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:57 am
Holysocks says...

Hi, I really thought that this was quite a cute story. I loved how your characters interacted XD! I love old people!

Nice work! Keep it up!

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:46 am
ongoeslife says...

Hi, Roundsquare!

Just wanted to let you know that I will review this lovely piece of writing, though, sadly, not at the moment.

Send me a message tomorrow to remind me, and hopefully I will be able to then!

~Ongoeslife

Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:10 am
Paracosm wrote a review...

Hey there, Roundsquare!

I love your writing style. Your character interactions are very entertaining. I can tell you put a good deal of effort into shaping the dialog between Jonathan and Rebekkah. The narration seems to falter at times, maybe give it a read through out loud. For instance:

“You’ll never guess what apparently happened next..."

This sentence sounded a bit awkward to me.

I imagine, as this pans out, the story will be more about the son who disappeared. I'd like to learn more about him in the first bit. That way you'll hold my interest. Drop a clue, this story reads like a riddle. Give us something that pulls us on. The dinner with Ense feels like side-plot to me, so try to use it as a chance to reveal more about the main story, but still keep us guessing.

Again, your dialog is very entertaining. Jonothan and Rebekka's relationship is very funny. But, as far as first chapters go, remember that this is your chance to suck us in. Throw us a bone, and we'll stay with you through the rest of the story. The real trick is getting us through the first chapter and into the next one.

Roundsquare says...

Thanks for the review :)

Paracosm says...

No problem, keep up the awesome work!

TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmyjake here to give you a review as promised!

I'm sorry its a little late. I did say yesterday, but mothers and lack of internet kept me out all day. Here I am! I have evaded them so far... Course now that I mentioned it they will come a running. :D

So the first thing I noticed here was that the husband and wife had a tense relationship... It seemed as though the wife was crabby and couldn't stand his guts. But then, once the whole rain coat is over, their relationship seemed to change, being all nice. I am not critiquing it, just pointing it out. I don't know if you want it to seem that way or not.

On to critiquing!

Mr. Eades scraped his boots, hastily on the doormat outside his home, but they were still hopelessly muddy as he rushed into the kitchen.

This is one example of a sentence that has this issue. Some sentences have too many commas in it. Others, too few. This sentence would read better as, Mr Eades scraped his boots(no comma here) hastily on the doormat outside his home, but they were still hopelessly muddy as he rushed into the kitchen.

One thing I also noticed in here is the formality. Everything is so formal. Mr Eades.... Wee need to know his first name, and once we know it, associate it better with him. So changing his name from Mr. Eades to Jonathon.

This is important Jonathan, no chewing with an open mouth, or talking with food between your jaws. --- This is important Jonathon,(either a so or start new sentence) no chewing, etc...

I think that is all I have to nitpick. This was very well done. It is focused on the two, but still having that magical staff in the background and knowing that a boy is going to be in it, so the reader is wondering... You have a lot of talent. Your dialogue is better than your descriptions, and your descriptions need work more than anything else. But this is a great beginning! Keep writing!
~Timmyjake

Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:15 am
Basil says...

Oh yay!! You made it to the literary spotlight!! Very deserving! And it's very good :D

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:43 am
CowLogic says...

Very nice. While the narration can be a little flat, the dialogue is where you truly shine as a writer. Keep it up.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:38 pm
Messenger wrote a review...

Messenger here for ya, as requested!

. . . hastily scraped his muddy boots on the doormat outside his home, . . . still hopelessly covered in mud as he rushed into the front room . . . when his wife's angry face popped up out of nowhere and blocked his path

you use muddy and mud in the same sentence. Try to think of a different word for the second time.
Popped out of nowhere really doesn't tell me where his wife came from. Was she in a chair, behind the door, is there another doorway and she burst out? Make it clearer.

Her husband listened to her like an obedient schoolboy until she was done, and then he opened his mouth, "Gu-gu-guests?” It was hard to shape words when your jaw was frozen solid. Nordwinston didn't have many cold days. This was a summer land noted for long broiling days, not icy cold mornings. Mr. Eades was dying to get inside and hurriedly took off his boots. He had barely been out of them for a second when the cold started nibbling away at his tippy toes.

You have a few things here that bother me. One is that you kind of switched the pov to the woman's. But then it flings right back to the man's. Then, the italic line is just awkward. Put it in the present tense. Also, you didn't explain that the weather was cold, and now you introduce somewhat strangely. Maybe add a little phrase in the first paragraph to show that it is cold.

with a dripping oilskin raincoat.

We didn't know he had a coat on either. Or that it had been raining. Now it looks like he's just carrying it around.

And . . . finished! I have to say that these people should are childish. The woman drove me nuts, the way she rambled on a ton. Now, the only other nitpicks I have besides the ones above, are this: the boy being kidnapped seems really cliche to me. I am just waiting for him to show up, very possibly as the wizard. Put a twist on it if that was your plan.
And, I don't get the time period or what he house looks like. I assume the time period to be medieval times, but I don't know a thing about the surroundings if this scene Which makes it hard to envision it.

Now, I have to say that this was written quite well. It flowed nicely and was pretty easy to follow. You did a nice job of not "telling" people the past in large chunks. You scattered it throughout, which made it not boring. Overall it looks pretty good. Hope this helps.
Keep it up!

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:35 pm
eldEr wrote a review...

Hey there, Roundsquare! Isha here to review as requested. (:

Alright, so. This piece was really very well-written for the most part. It flowed well, was easy to read, and the imagery was pretty gosh-darn decent, if I do say so myself. I enjoyed the characters (even if the naggy old wife thing is a tad overdone- she's charming, in her own unique sort of a way), and the dialogue was entertaining.

Now, I really want to point this out:

“HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?!” She yelled,

OKAY. First of all, capitalizing a whole sentence in a literary work is obstructive. It's distracting, and it looks extremely amateur. Capitalization of full sentences is something for children's books and those tiny, short novels that second graders read in order to warm themselves up for the bigger books. Now, you used "yelled" afterwards, indicating that she's using a loud, angry tone already. The capitalization just isn't necessary. Actually, you don't really need to indicate that she "yelled" using the dialogue itself, because "yelled" is already in the narration.

Now, if you really wanted to indicate that she's yelling with the dialogue, use italics, not capitalization. this is italics and it's usually used, in writing, to put emphasis on a word or phrase, and can be used to emphasize bits and pieces of dialogue, as well.

Secondly: the "?!" that you used. I also dislike this, because, once again, it just looks plain amateur. With things like this, you need to decide what's more important to get across: that the character is asking a question, or that the character is asking it in a very loud manner. Now, this is obviously a question, and you want to indicate that she's yelling. Readers will know, automatically, that this is a question, but they would not automatically know that she's yelling. If it were me, I would remove the question mark and keep the exclamation mark (which is far more correct that using both the exclamation and question marks).

For example, it could look like:

Have you lost your mind!

That's it. With that, it's pretty heavily implied that she's using a loud, yell-ish tone, due to the presence of the italics and the exclamation mark.

What you do with it's totally up to you, though, so explore a little.

Secondly: The bit where Jonathon's describing the wizard. Now, pretty much all of your dialogue is really realistic and really fun to read, which is why I was so disappointed by this. It's all so nice and realistic, and then all of a sudden you've got Jon, who seems to be a pretty simple man, from what I can make out- probably not upper-class, either, which indicates that he wouldn't have been educated, if I've got the time period right- throwing around a bunch of big, fancy words.

None of those words seemed to fit his character very well, nor were they particularly realistic. It kind of made that little section a bit choppy to read, I think.

Otherwise, though, I really did enjoy the dialogue! Very well-done, and all the other nitpicks (grammar wise and whatnot) have already been pointed out in previous reviews. I really enjoyed this piece, and it's really quite well-done. Congrats!

Good job and keep writing,
~Ish

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:10 pm
BrittanyNicole says...

Nice, I love it. :D Glad you messaged me to check it out. Your story has good details and punctuation.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:41 am
Rubric wrote a review...

Howdy, as per request, here I am to do the thing with the words!

To begin with the General; I enjoyed the dialogue, particularly the wife’s, as it has a definitive character to its diction. The foreshadowing of fantasy elementswas good, and kind of hilarious next to the conflict between husband and wife. Sometimes your turn of phrasing rubbed me up the wrong way, because I tend to read hyperbole if not literally then literalistically, but generally I found it flavorsome.

"he opened his lips"
Does one open one’s mouth but only part one’s lips?

"It was hard to shape words when your jaws were frozen solid"
One jaw. I wanted to be picky around having open lips and a frozen jaw, but I assume it’s hyperbole.

"pushed her out of the way"
This seems quite violent, if understated.

"My heads not working properly"
Head’s (head is rather than multiple heads)

"Mrs. Eades said"
“said” is one of those words that often doesn’t need to be there. You don’t have to use a fancy sounding descriptor (though they are useful) you can just describe an action she commits at the same time from which it can be inferred that she has spoken this.

"She snatched the heavy black thing that was slippery with raindrops"
The word “thing” is the unmaking of this sentence. It’s so vague and undescriptive in what is otherwise a good description.

"it on a peg, on the wall"
We can probably infer that the peg is on the wall, and if we don’t we don’t lose much. Given that it’s awkwardly tacked on the end of the sentence via the comma, it isn’t strictly necessary.

"same spot only second after"
At least two seconds, I should think.

"he had an ugly cane that towered above his head"
Now I can accept that you don’t want to drop the titular “staff” in so early for the sake of spoiling things, but a "cane" isn’t a strict synonym. Canes are usually not much taller than a waist, and certainly not taller than one’s head. Such a thing is a walking staff.

"Pushing me aside as if I wasn’t saying something"
The thing is, pushing her aside would be pretty darn rude even if she wasn’t saying anything.

"She boxed him playfully"
Good phrase, but you can’t get away with a “him” as you’ve introduced a second character for a male pronoun to attach to: the son. You need to differentiate for this paragraph as you’d just been discussing the son.

"from her childish fit"
I couldn’t quite work out whether it was the narrator or the husband judging the fit as childish. It’s not a huge deal, but it is a values judgement that speaks to character either way.

"she was like a freight train forging on from one thing to another"
I like the freight train, but “forging” is a bit of a mixed metaphor. I was going to suggest “ploughing” but that doesn’t really fix matters. “Charging” or something?

"fortifying a name for himself"
“fortifying” is an interesting choice. A clear intentional distinction from “making”, as the making has clearly already taken place to some extent, but I’m wondering if it’s strictly superior to “consolidating”.

"the opportunity"
This jars a bit. If the name’s been made, it’s not really a new opportunity, but a lingering advantage. Hmm.

"my sole remaining flesh and blood"
“relative of flesh and blood” or “blood relative” reads more smoothly, because “flesh and blood” doesn’t have neatly divisible categories of which one could be the sole remainder.

"because the only thing sillier than a wizard zapping out of the sky is a grown man believing it actually took place"
Not really. If the thing is less bizarre than believing in it, then it isn't that bizarre, which means believing in it can't really be either. Even as hyperbole this is stretching things. Unless it’s meant to illustrate her arbitrary scepticism and strong valuing of maintaining social dignity, in which case it does it well.

"Now, I now you’ve been saving the animal for a special occasion, which tonight most certainly will be.”
How long does it take to turn a calf into a meal? How long is left until dinner?

"Not her wide sorry eyes or desperate voice could ease"
“neither’ over “not” I should think.

"issue he man wasn’t"
“the man” or “he”. I prefer “he” or it becomes a little concerning in relation to championing gender roles.

"calf will not be had"
“had” reads weirdly and passively. “Eaten” “slaughtered” etc are all better.

"and crumbled on it."
Crumpled onto?

I tend toward vagueness and ambiguity so feel free to contact me if there's something you want to clarify/challenge/etc. Having said that I thoroughly enjoyed the piece and hope to see more of it. I caught a slightly Dickensian vibe from the wife in particular.

Regardless; Cheers,

Rubric

Roundsquare says...

Wow Dickensian vibe! A scrumptious comparison no doubt. I'll be relishing on it for it a while.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:15 am
Apricity wrote a review...

Hi Roundsquare! S.s here for a review on this fine chapter! I must say, this is indeed a very intriguing chapter and as for spelling and grammar. I see no obvious mistakes, this is a promising start for a first chapter, with clear and stunning characterisation. It takes skill to create realistic characters, for all characters are born slippery. But in this chapter, you have already given Jonathan and Rebekah a sound personality and has already found their voice. Especially with the dialogue and their gestures, like everything else in writing. Every little detail counts and you've done so very well here.

This is also a decent length for an opening chapter, but I will be truly honest here. During some point in the chapter. It bored me a little, like @BloodinkSeesFootage said, this chapter is made up of a lot of chapters and a lot of details. Which can be all knitted together or for some unnecessary details (such as details you can reveal later in order to add suspense to the story). Like how you've written with the lightning and the tall man, that was beautiful! I know I said every little detail counts, but remember the first chapter is always important to reel readers in. To make a plot or novel appealing, you need to give the readers questions and hold back the answers. And there is also the thing with the calf.....it made me wonder. Is it really necessary to spend so long on it? I mean, sure. During their argument, I perceived a clearer sense of both their personalities but the ending....I feel that for all the tension building up earlier. You could've ended it in some better way, to make it more mysterious and more appealing.

However, that's just me. This really is a promising start, keep on writing and inform me when you've written your next chapter! Best of luck and I hope I helped.

-S.s

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:45 am
Renard wrote a review...

Good job! 

No problems with spelling and grammar that I saw.
I liked the content of the story, especially the interaction between characters such as:
‘“Gu-gu-guests!” His wife mocked him’
There is definitely humour within this piece that works well and makes it more enjoyable for the reader.
This piece is also a decent length for an opening chapter, so that’s really good. 
My only criticism would be of your structuring. It is made up of a LOT of very tiny paragraphs, some of which could be knitted together to make the work flow better and also look more appealing. I think if you made some of the paragraphs more meaty it would read more like the opening chapter of a novel.
Otherwise, well done!

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:43 am
Dreamy wrote a review...

Hey there,

Dreamy here to review. This chapter was very intriguing. Let me go on with pointing out the typos,nitpicks.

“HOLD IT RIGHT THERE JONATHAN EADES!"

I strongly don't believe in capitalizing a whole dialogue. Try to express the anger of the speaker in your narration with simple words. You have already said "bellowed" which gives pretty good impression on how angry the lady was. And that'a all it needs.

........if you think I'll simply let you muck it up.......

he opened his lips,

"lips" is just not going with the flow, let's just keep it "mouth".

He had been barely

because her husband pushed her out of the way as he rushed into/quote]

he ducked like an invisible arrow

out a her hand

Apparently as tall small tree I heard.

This line is just not making any sense.

her look several times older than heractual age

You need not even add "actual" because "older" delivers the understanding.

and put his left an arm around her by force

Everyone had a theory to give

To give what? It's give up on him

at places of my choosing choice

It's all I could find. But The story is intriguing. :D Keep up the good work.

Keep writing!!!

Cheers!!! :D

As if you were on fire from within. The moon lives in the lining of your skin.
— Pablo Neruda