12+

Ill Always Miss You

by alliecat98

Evangeline Evans brushed away a branch from her elfish face.

The bracelet on her hand glittered in the dusk. She squinted into the oncoming

lights.This reminded her of the lights

in her bedroom, the bedroom she shared with her siblings. Evangeline remembered

her old life as she looked into the the light . Part of her wanted to just

sneak away and hide in the foliage, instead of facing the situation that she knew would greet her if

she stepped into the light, the light that lingered in the bushes around her

and made her blink because of the stars she saw in her eyes.

She took a deep

breath and realized what she had to do.Evangeline

stepped into the clearing that was engulfed in moonlight. She stepped up to the

pool that was shimmering. She jumped into the pool.

Suddenly a hand grabbed her and dragged her out of the water.

She glared up at the face that she knew so well. “Miles, why would you save me?

I wanted to die.”

“Because I love you

and I know you want to see them again but you can’t.”

She burst into tears

“I never got to say goodbye or sorry”.She

remembered her siblings for the last time. She remembered that she had been the

one driving the car- the one that killed them instantly, she cursed herself why had they died while she lived on? She

had to die so she could see her siblings again. Oh Wendy the smartest person

she had ever known and Elvis, too small and young to reach the third shelf on

their pantry.

“Trust me it’s not your fault and they know that. They’re somewhere,

looking down on you and they still love you.” Evangeline knew that her best

friend was right, but she would always miss them.

darkangel11 wrote a review...

well this is my first review i hope it helps though i'm not sure it will help. i really like this piece.

i love how it shows you the guilt and remouse she feels, for her sibblings deaths because she was driving the car. i also like the way you discribe her brother 'elvis too small and young to reach the and Elvis, too small and young to reach the third shelf on their pantry.' the only thing i really have to say is you should go back and look at were her best friend tells her 'trust me it's not you fault and they know that. they're somewhere looking down on you and they still love you' the line would probly go along better if it was in capitals so to make it seem like they are really trying to get the point a cross that her sibbling knew it wasn't her fault and that they are looking down on her. and i must say you have a really good title for you piece. though i have to wonder about the reason why you have it in verse.

LeoPenrhythm wrote a review...

Leo here to review....

:-(( It is very saddening...a good poignant piece...

I love the part of the guilt, the remorse that usually people feel when they are the lone survivor of something in which their dear ones died.....

I liked the description of the brother, "and Elvis, too small and young to reach the third shelf on

their pantry." nice play with words i would say....I think you could have done that with the description of the sister too...instead of just using an adjective...

Also, these lines are my favourite...

“Trust me it’s not your fault and THEY KNOW THAT. They’re somewhere,
looking down on you and they still love you.”

I have capitalized the words because that for me is the highlight of the line...I don't know why, but it feels very nice to read it...

Just a query...Why did you break the lines as in a verse?????? It gives a feeling of poetry going on between a prose, a short story...

I have to say, it is a very good piece....thumbs up!!!

Thank you:-)

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:32 pm
birk wrote a review...

Hey Allie!

Welcome to YWS! I hope you enjoy youself here.

Alright, on to the review:
I like your title and the basis for your story, however, it has a lot of issues.

First off, there is something wrong with the format. The sentences are broken and not linked together and it all reads like one big paragraph.

Some of your sentences also run too long:

Part of her wanted to just sneak away and hide in the foliage, instead of facing the situation that she knew would greet her if she stepped into the light, the light that lingered in the bushes around her and made her blink because of the stars she saw in her eyes.
Divide this into two sentences.

Several other places you could use a comma and others a period instead.

As for the story itself, it very short and basic. There is almost no character descriptions or development, which would be difficult considering it's length. But character descriptions is a must.

Lastly, I'll go over what grammatical errors I found:

Most of your senteces start with either "Evangeline did that" or "She did this". You need to get creative with it, as to not bore your readers.

from her elfish face.

I'd use another description. A more common, relatable one.

The bracelet on her hand

Why mention this if it has nothing to do with the story?

She squinted into the oncoming lights.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by these lights. I'm thinking it's the stars? But why would they be oncoming? Are they crashing into the atmosphere?

and realized what she had to do.

Okay, she wants to commit suicide because of guilt. But the way you wrote this, it seems like she decided to do this on a whim.

She jumped into the pool.

This was incredibly akward. She was immidiately pulled out? Maybe he caught her mid jump? Let her struggle in the water for a bit before having the guy save her.

She remembered that she had been the one driving the car

As I said, you keep starting sentences this way. Rather than writing it like this, you need to show us what the character is doing and thinking. Show, don't tell.

Elvis

Poor kid ;)

The story you do have here can be interesting, as loss of loved ones and feelings of guilt are quite powerful.

You have a lot to learn Allie, but you have found YWS and your writing will improve wastly.

I'd suggest editing and expanding on this story after a while. See how much you changed.

Cheers
Birkhoff

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:08 pm
Frayer wrote a review...

K imma review this!

Ok, so I like the story. A lot actually. It's different from the categories that I normally read haha but that's because I clicked on it because of the title.

I agree with some of the people below me about how the spacing and line structure was weird. And you should try to change it and at least be aware of it before posting another story.

You have really good details and I feel instantly connected to the character and what she feels.

You had a few grammar mistakes, but other people got to those so you already no.

I wish the story could have been a little longer but other than that good job.

Keep writing!:)

-Frayer

Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:57 pm
KnightTeen wrote a review...

The formatting/line structure/line spacing is very weird. Was it intentionally written that way?

If it was, I would recommend changing it, since such structure is more suited to poetical or lyrical works and not to a short, which is what you have this listed as.

Hi, HT here for a review.

You're also a little contradictory. When you say dusk, I imagine a mostly dark setting, but then you go on and there's also light. So I'm confused, is it day or is it night?

And while there were some little grammar mistakes, they were all clearly typos so I'll just mention them and leave it at that.

She remembered her siblings for the last time

That was the absolute last time that she remembered her siblings? How sad.

I love the plot that you have going on here, but it just seems a little to short. And the ending is a little to bland. You had a great beginning and middle, but then she dives in and gets pulled out and that's it. The end. What happens after she gets pulled out? What happens after she realizes that Miles is right? And is Miles her friend or her boyfriend?

Maybe to make this longer you can add some flashback scenes describing the car accident.

But, all things aside, I did enjoy reading this, even though I think that it could use some tweaking.

Happy Writing!
HT

Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:48 pm
Futurenow wrote a review...

Hi, alliecat98! This is my first review, so I'm not sure if it will be any good, but here we go! I really enjoyed the story, however I did not like the title. Of course I understand why you called it that, but it gave away too much. I wanted to be wondering for just a little longer why Evangeline wanted to die. Also, I feel as if a few of the sentences ended too abruptly, especially the 2nd and 3rd sentences. I loved the descriptions in the fifth sentence. I also loved the part about her brother being too young to reach the third shelf. However, I feel like there should be a comma before and after Wendy, like: "Oh, Wendy, the..." Your sentence, "Because I love you and I know you want to see them again but you can't," is grammatically incorrect, because it is a run on sentence. I really liked this piece, so thank you for posting it. I hope my review helps!

alliecat98 says...

Thanks for all your wonderful comments. They were very helpful. I will definitely keep them in mind next time I am writing a story. Does anyone have any ideas on what more to add to it. I know it needs something but I don't Know what. I like the flashback idea HT I might do something like that . Miles is supposed to be her best friend, he is developing feelings for her . I will definitely edit the story and add more to it. should she go and visit there graves?

Ogres are like onions.
— Shrek