z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Her

by futrauthr482


His heart raced and pounded in his head as he ran. He shoved the branches out of his way, unaware of the sharp barbs scratching his arms and face. His breathing came fiercely as all thought was consumed with finding her. The darkness coated the trees in a dark blanket. The only way his eyes continued to find shapes in the abstract dark was the pearly beacon of the moon.

The panic rose, trying to quench every intelligent thought; he struggled to keep the panic down, to think clearly. Frantic action would not help her. He needed to think. His body shivered with cold, exertion and exhaustion. He pounded his feet into the ground so hard his bones jarred with every step.

The silver moonlight caught upon a shape more regular and bright then the abstruse tone of the forest. He stopped, haltingly suddenly frozen with terror. What if’s flooded his mind, each image worse than the previous. He no longer felt the presence of his limbs. The sprinting of his heart and breath could no longer be felt. The only thing in existence was the shape, pure and truer than any of the surrounding thicket.

The silence of the woodland was suddenly pressing down on him. Every breath was a struggle. Every movement was painful. Still focused on the shape he stepped slowly forward, praying with every fiber of his being that it wasn’t her. That he wouldn’t find her, that she would be safe inside her bed and this all would be for naught.

With every slow step the shape grew clearer and his denial weakened. When the final step of recognition was taken, it was accompanied by gasping as he tried to hold the tears from flooding his vision. Blinking to renew clarity to his sight, he bent down, kneeling on the cold foliage underneath a canopy of stars and timber.

He looked at the stone cold face of his love. Her eyes taunted him from the bottom of a lifeless abyss, holding echoes of her warmth and life. Her sunken gray skin accentuated her sharp cheekbones. Her lush lips were devoid of the precious pink they always beheld. Her barren hair held no shine or bounce; it was flung haphazardly, framing her still beautiful face. A halo.

The only color other than her white skin in the moonlight was the scarlet stain of blood. It soaked her clothes and surrounded her lifeless body. It clung to his hands when he touched her. The sharp, intense colors attacked his eyes and every drop was torture for him. The scarlet reminder of his love’s life was dripping all around him. The flaming liquid covered her graceful neck and chest, but her face was completely bare of the invasive liquid. As if it dared not to touch the peace.

The soft ivory light from the moon bounced off the ring on her left hand, turned the color of wine. Memories danced through his mind, a dagger to his heart followed each one. He remembered the look in her eyes when they first met, the confidence and the wild energy and strength. Memories of her creating music and the feeling of total completion and perfection that he had every time he looked at her. Memories of the night they had beheld and also lost their only child. Memories of laughter and love. He remembered the day that he put the delicate ring on her delicate finger; her face, that day, was full of joy. She was an image of grace and elegance in her silken white gown, now she was draped in crimson.

Each memory intensified a longing in him. He longed for her fingers to twitch, for her to smile and say she was all right. He longed with his whole heart for her love and joy. He longed for her with an intensity that caused pain in every breath and every heartbeat. Every moment of this pain she lay before him; a silent ghost

He closed his eyes blocking out the image of her pale sunken face and turned to images of the past: kisses shared, late nights with hot cocoa and tears that they had shared over their lost child. These images and memories began to be poisoned by the grotesque image in front of him; it invaded every smile and every laugh. Her ashen skin and her empty glass eyes infected every joy. Every memory that was stolen awoke new agony inside of him.

Turning back to her, he grasped her fingers. They were icy with the absence of her soul. He wanted so deeply for her hands to again move inside his.

Finally, his tired eyes that had struggled to hold the tears surrendered. The cold liquid spilled silently over his cheeks and down his chin. He blinked as they clung to his lashes. A single iridescent tear landed on her cheek. He touched the diamond drop and wished it to breath life into her. He gently lifted her fingers to his trembling lips; the day’s worth of stubble scratched her fragile skin.

He looked at her face trying to see the vivid spirit he knew, though she had long fled from the cold body. He touched the gentle curve of her lips that had spoken so many words, the gentle words of a mother and a lover. He bent down and kissed her chalky lips for the final time. Leaving his face close to hers he closed her eyes as tears continued to rain on her lifeless skin.

For a moment his heart felt her grasping at him. For a second he thought he felt her struggle against the darkness to come back to him. He could feel her heart screaming in agony to leave him behind. As she drifted farther and farther into the bitter dark he reached for her, but was left with empty hands.

His heart cried for her.

He put his shaking hand on her chest above her cold heart, feeling his breaking inside of him. He ached as his entire being was hallowed out, leaving an empty shell. When she had descended into the darkness of the abyss she had taken him with her. There was no life without her. Her heart had completed his, they had leaned on each other so long that without her smile he crumbled. His heart could not bear life without hers.

Inside of his agony he felt her, very gently, reach to him. His sighed in ecstasy as he briefly felt the warmth of her smile, and felt the power of her love, but just as suddenly it vanished as if smoke in the wind, agony returned, and he wondered if it could have been a dream.

He folded her hands, forever praying, on her chest and stood with shaking limbs. Every step he took away from what was left of her he grew icy and cold inside. Leaving all happiness with her. He walked away from her, and left himself behind.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
532 Reviews


Points: 27927
Reviews: 532

Donate
Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:23 pm
ArcticMonkey wrote a review...



Hi!

Okay so when I was reading this, I thought that wow you've got a really good way of describing things. Not only that, but it's done in quite a beautiful-sounding almost poetic way which is great. I think the idea of the story is also really cool, quite unique, although it raises quite a lot of unanswered questions.

As for improvements I guess one suggestion I'd like to make is when you start talking about memories you only really mention what memories are. I'd like to read more about what these memories were! Maybe you could even have a quick flashback. See the problem with this story now is there's no background information, so in all honesty I'm not really feeling as much emotion for this man as I should be.

I did say that I loved your descriptions, because I did but I felt at parts it really took over. Like I understood what the surrounding was like, it was really vivid in my head when reading it but I didn't quite get what was going on in the story. And ultimately, descriptions are just decorations to stories.

My last point is about your sentence structures, I found they were all a bit too similar! Too many of them started with 'he' so it gets a bit boring to read after a while. Maybe you should consider changing things around in the sentences a bit more so instead it's start with an adverb or something like that.

Overall, I did like this- great descriptions! Just make sure that the descriptions don't take over. What I would've liked to have seen is more of a backstory with this really. It's all sort of left loose in the air. Anyways I hope this review helped. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have or if you'd like another review on anything.

Keep writing!
~ArcticMonkey x




User avatar
115 Reviews


Points: 75
Reviews: 115

Donate
Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:58 pm
SereneSimpliciT wrote a review...



Alright, overall, I really do enjoy this piece, it's dramatic, it's interesting, and you do really grasp the emotions that the man is really feeling inside.

Now, there are a few downsides to this, which I will explain of course

1. You should of done the backstory BEFORE this. I know that some people may disagree with that, but listen. I don't know if there is a fantasy twist, or if this was just a murder. With the way that you described it, it sounds like she was bitten by a vampire, and for some authors, they hate that. Also, it would be nice to know what exactly drove him to go looking for her. You say above that he hopes he's just paranoid and that she's home sleeping...then you make it clear that they're married...so wouldn't that mean they live together? And if that is so..then shouldn't he know whether or not she is home?!

You see what I mean? People will get nit-picky and go after things like that

2. The ending...what man in his right mind would leave his true love out in the wilderness?! I mean, I get he's in shock, but wouldn't it be a bit disrespectful to not give her a proper burial? I also have an idea that you're maybe trying to go for symbolism, having him walking away from her as a symbol of him moving on...but then you make it clear that he's not going to move on, and in all actually, he sounds slightly suicidal. You need to rework that ending, the piece will be a lot stronger if you do so.


Other than that, there really aren't any major issues, though I will give you kudos for your vocabulary, very nicely detailed without being too wordy.

Hope to see more soon
~Maddie




User avatar
132 Reviews


Points: 669
Reviews: 132

Donate
Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:34 am
Legibletext wrote a review...



Hi Bud,

I disagree with ignorance about the bold. I quite like it, in fact, I love it! It adds t the intensity and depth of the piece itself. Just want to comment on how articulate you are, you obviously possess a real flair for words. Good job.

The description was fantastic, you went right into detail about how painful the loss was for the man. You accurately captured what it feels like to lose someone close to you.

Also, with the ending, I suppose one could say it was a disappointment, but then I'd say otherwise. I liked the ending, it was suitable to the tale and realistic in a way. I mean, what else could the guy do right? She was gone, leaving would be logical an and also to me symbolic of beginning the journey of moving on.

Anyway, nice work :)



Random avatar
futrauthr482 says...


Thank you so much! I didn't mean it to be bold, I copied and lasted it and that is how it turned out.
I am glad you said I accurately described the pain if losing someone because I never have.
I appreciate your attitude towards the ending. There was no other way I knew to end it without the story dragging on longer then I felt it should.
Thank you for your praise.



User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:19 am
Iggy wrote a review...



Hello there. It's me again to review; this time, an actual review.

First off: remove the bold. Terribly distracting and hard on the eyes. It's gotta go.

He stopped, haltingly suddenly frozen with terror.


Basically the same thing as "stopped", so cut that out.


Hun, the one things readers will always demand is answers. It's very important that the readers know what happened and why it did at the end of the story; otherwise, they are left confused and scratching their head. Why is she dead? Did she kill herself? Was she murdered? What was she doing out in those woods, anyways? I don't like being left on a cliffhanger.

I did not like the ending. So he just walks away from his lover? Leaves her dead body for the wolves to devour, it seems. No one would do that, unless he was the one to have killed her. If that was my love out there, I would have carried her home for a proper funeral, so she can rest in peace. That ending didn't seem very realistic.

Oh, but this was so beautifully written. You do have a talent with words, my friend. Yor imagery, your flow, your wise choice of words.. Amazing. Excellent job on that, it was a pleasure to read. Keep on writing!

~ Iggy.



Random avatar
futrauthr482 says...


Thank you, again for your reviews. I hope you are enjoying my pieces. I am planning on doing a background story and I will think about altering the ending.



Random avatar

Points: 460
Reviews: 5

Donate
Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:29 am
futrauthr482 says...



Let me know what you think!



Random avatar
sanju says...


Exquisite. Exotic description. You have indeed captured the emotional longing of the man in powerful way.
May be you could have given some direction to his agony in some form to continue with the story.

I enjoyed reading it.


Random avatar
futrauthr482 says...


Thank you! I just wanted it to have an all encompassing feeling of pain. I hope I did that, but you are right tht I could give it more direction.
Again, thanks'




Nobody wants to see the village of the happy people.
— Lew Hunter