a noontime folly

by Vervain

-text removed-

Jonathan wrote a review...

Hello Ancient, Jonathan here with a review for you and you poem.

Okay first I would advise you to put some commas in and more capitalization.

Well I am wondering what you mean by "and one of them will be you" this is something that I think is not the best way to go by saying you so much I know you only said it like once but I am saying that it may be good to know that it is not good to do that.

And technically, almost every god that lives, lives forever.

Also this is not really a poem more of just a few well written lines, I mean they don't really rime with each other.

Also you were saying her then you said I know that would be okay if you say something like she says after you finish saying it.

Ans I can't see how what she is saying is madness.

Keep writing and good luck.

~Jonathan~

Vervain says...

Hi!
First of all - on the lack of punctuation and capitalisation; I usually misuse or don't use punctuation on purpose, because it adds to something of a minimalist style of mine that's really my pet, and the same goes for capitalisation. I did end up capitalising the "i"s in the edited version, but punctuation is something I'll hold onto until my grave is dug and my coffin's being lowered - I only change it if it's a last-ditch effort to figure out what's not making the poem "ring", if that makes any sense.

Also, on the use of "you": I use "you" quite a bit in my poetry to add a bit of personalisation to it, and also because (I feel) it adds a bit of strangeness to how it fits, if those words make sense. I feel that using "you" in this poem isn't so much me lapsing into bad habits as me using a literary device - and while the lack of second person may hold true better in narrative poetry and prose literature, second person is also a very effective literary device which, when used sparingly, is definitely part of my style. Some of my poetry is almost singularly second-person addressed, after all, so one "you" isn't a big deal.

Also, poetry doesn't have to rhyme! This is what's called a "free verse" poem, meaning that it doesn't have to have rhyme or meter. I suggest you check out a few other instances of free verse poetry in these boards to figure out what they look like and how to properly critique them!

And finally, if you would reread, you would see that I wrote "she murmurs...:" before the section with the "i"s, which implies that the sun is saying "i", not the narrator.

Thank you for your review!

Ooh, I like this. I always like poems and stories that challenge our general perception of things. My absolute favorite part of this poem is your mention of the pointed teeth and hollow eyes. This personification is new because it's really PHYSICAL. It's adding sharp, hard objects and gaping holes to a nebulous idea. The rest of the poem gives her personification, too, but that's emotion and personality-related stuff that is not quite as shocking because it's easier to just philosophically personify things, right? When we try to physically do it, it can usually end up sounding ridiculous. Like putting googly eyes on a toaster. But you didn't put googly eyes on a toaster!

That is, however, maybe the problem, too? Because of that excellent shock, the rest of the poem comes off a little bit flat. The physical personification is so much stronger than the emotional that it makes the emotional sound like it's been done before, which I'm sure it also has. If I had to give you a suggestion, I'd say keep subtly and solidly bringing in that physical personification. Make this poem ring in your readers bodies so they can imagine themselves as a sun. The emotional personification has to be outside: they can think of someone else. But when you evoke physical and bodily images, your reader feels that within themselves. You've started that path. Can you finish it?

Let me know if you have any questions about my review. I hope you understand that your writing is strong, but you can dig deeper to use your writing skills to bring out deeper reactions!
Good luck and keep writing!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:10 pm
Blackwood wrote a review...

I really like this poem, it has a great sense mysteriousness to it.
I see what you are trying to do with keeping everything in lowercase, but the i's really bother me and I feel if anything they should be uppercase.
Thats' all up to your choice of course.

i am all, i am naught.

I feel this line is too contradicting. Each of those words mean opposites, and in now way would I say the sun is nothing.

Also in the first half you use third person and in the second half you use first person. I think you should either be in first person the whole way, or put in a line indicating spoken words.

For example:
I, the sun
wear a half-mask

Or:
i am the sun,
i wear a half mask

For example on the speech thing maybe but some quotations or put the whole thing in italics.

Finally [creatures, eras, gods,]creatures, eras, gods,[/quote]
I am a bit divided on this. On one hand I really like the fact that you say gods because it represents religions dying or being left behind as people progress, for example the Greek gods, if no one worships them anymore then technically they aren't.
On the other hand since gods are ideas, I feel that 'ideas' dying would be better suited as saying gods indicates that they actually exist, and if you though they did then 'gods' wouldn't die.....
So yeah, saying gods is more poetic and symbolizes something within itself, but saying ideas is more clear and can represent gods among other things. I don't think you should change, just give that a ponder.

Vervain says...

The thing with switching between third and first is because the first half is describing the sun, and the second half is her muttering to herself (or, perhaps, to you).

Also, I changed the line "i am all, i am naught" in my editable version to "I am rain and flood and fire/and the shimmering, shattering void/of thought and impulse." It was standing a bit weak on its own, so, yeah.

Also! I do have a reason for saying "gods" instead of ideas: Because "creatures" and "eras" are both concrete ideals with solid names (you can name a creature, right? you can name an era in history, right?), it makes more sense to tie a parallel between those two and "gods", rather than "ideas", which are more vague and less concretely descriptive, while maintaining the same message at heart.

Thank you so much for your review!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:09 pm
Blackwood says...

Sorry can't figure out how to delete blank posts....

Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:51 pm
barefootrunner wrote a review...

Hi there! barefootrunner here with a quick review :)

Okay, so firstly, good work on the imagery! I'm really seeing visual concepts here, and that's a great sign that a poem got something right!

I'm not sure about your semi-colon. I'm all for colorful punctuation, but I'm not sure if it fits in there. There is a real danger that it links the two ideas it separates too closely, confusing the reader. So give it some thought and come back to it. I'm a great advocate of the dash instead of the comma. Try using it in one of the more prominent lines, like "i am the light-giver—" and then continuing. It draws more attention to what follows and links the ideas more closely.

Where the sun says "i am all, i am naught," think about replacing those abstract terms with something more concrete and useful to the reader's imagination. It is in that way that "creatures, eras, gods," is so important. It gives the reader's imagination something concrete to work with and is the life-blood of poetry!

Also, think of making those "i"s, "I"s. Not because I don't like the no-caps style, but because the sun is ranting about her power, so it would not be fitting for her to demean herself with mere lower case letters. She is more than a god, she deserves that capital, in her mind. So it fits better with the context of the poem, even if it does break your style rules!

Love the end. It really brings things home :)

Keep writing :)

barefoot

Vervain says...

Thank you so much for the review!

I'm not sure about the semicolon, either - I was thinking of replacing it, but I wasn't sure if a full stop would fit, and a comma or dash would definitely be too close of a link. The semicolon doesn't feel right, but a colon would be extraneous, so... -sigh- Ah, the confusion of being a poet! I'm most likely going to change it to a full stop, though.

I love using dashes instead of commas, but again, this poem was a little more experimental than my usual style of punctuation - I am definitely going to take a fine-toothed comb to my punctuation marks when I start editing.

On the "i am all, i am naught" - I had a more descriptive sentence in my head, but lost it in the translation to words. I'm thinking I'm going to edit that to - something. That's going to take a while for me to fight through.

And the capital "I"s wouldn't so much break my style rules insomuch as my style doesn't have concrete "rules" - lowercase is just my default, because I feel like a lot of capital letters gives me a bit of a clunky feel when I'm trying to get my expressions across. Part of it is probably because I always get a bit confused when I'm trying to read a fiction or fantasy novel and Everything is Capitalised, and you have to remember what's Capitalised, because Capitalised Things Are Important. Some abnormal capitalisation can be effective; capitalising the name of every little thing ever is detrimental, in my opinion, and that spreads to my poetry.

Definitely going to think on some of this, and again, thank you so much for the review!

Vervain says...

Also - on changing "i am all, i am naught" (and I took your advice on the "I"s and the semicolon, at least for now, in my editable form), how about:

"I am rain and flood and fire

and the shimmering, shattering void

of thought and impulse."

? It's something similar to what my original line was for that (I think; seeing as I can't remember much except the word "rain", I'm going to bank on the possibility), but I'm not sure how well it flows in the context of the poem. (Anything's better at this point, though.)

You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road, and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength.
— Uncle Iroh