z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone Mature Content

Tina Kennard's Love

by Shamishane


TINA KENNARD’S LOVE

By

SHAIKH SHAMINA

Published by SHAMINA AT YOUNG WRITERS SOCIETY

Copyright 2012 SHAMISHANE

TABLE OF CONTENTS

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FIVE

EPILOGUE

GLOSSARY

CHAPTER ONE

“What do you expect me to do?” demanded Eric. Tina flinched.

“I'm not going to hurt you,” he said.

“Why not? Why don't you hurt me? We'd both feel better,” she said. They were eyeballing each other, his hands on her forearms, as they stood chest to chest. At six foot two, and built lean, Eric towered over Tina, who stood at a voluptuous five foot five. He released her, and stepped back from her. They continued to watch each other.

“Were you raped?” he asked.

“No! Why would you ask me that?”

“I'm trying to understand why you're so scared of sex.”

“I'm not scared!”

“We've been married six months, and you get tense and fight me off if I so much as kiss you. Do I repel you?”

“No.”

“Before we married, I assumed you were a virgin.”

“I am.”

“Then, I could explain your fear. Now, I think you enjoy taunting me.”

“I do not!”

“Do you want me to force you? Is that how you get your thrills?”

“No!”

“Then what is going on with you?”

“Nothing!” Tina looked away from Eric, then she sat down.

“I can't go on like this. I have needs,” he said.

“I know.”

“What do you suggest I do, since you won't give me what I need?”

“We could get a divorce.”

“No!”

“It's the best way, Eric, then you can find someone else.”

“I spent a lot of years looking for the right woman, and that woman is you.”

“I can't have sex with you.”

“You'll learn.”

“Never!” vowed Tina, getting to her feet.

“You'd better learn, Tina. I'm going out of town for a week. When I come back, you better have your act together.”

“Are you giving me an ultimatum?” demanded an outraged Tina.

“You understand me well,” said Eric, then he left the lounge.

Tina closed her eyes, then she opened them, and threw a cushion across the room.

A while later, Eric joined her, carrying a suitcase.

“I'm off to China, look after yourself,” he said.

“You too, I hope you get what you want.”

“These days, you're all I want.” Tina looked away from him.

“Can I at least get a hug?” asked Eric. Tina went to hug him. They were still, holding each other. Eric kissed her cheek, then he kissed her gently.

“I want good memories of our goodbye. I love you, Tina,” he said.

“I love you, too.”

“Do you?”

“Yes.”

“I sometimes wonder. I'll see you when I come back.” Tina walked him to his car, and watched him drive off.

She did not like the conversation that they had had. Why did Eric have to rock the boat? Other than the sex issue, they had a great marriage. If only he would get over his obsession with sex.

She returned home from work one evening, and the lights were on in the house. She unlocked the door.

“Hi, Eric,” she smiled.

“Hi,” he said, approaching her. He put his arms round her, then he kissed her deeply, fondling her breast. She pushed him violently.

“You haven't changed your tune, I see,” he said. Tina put down her handbag.

“You're late. Were you with your lover? Is that why you don't want me, because your needs are being met elsewhere?” asked Eric.

“No!” said an outraged Tina.

“Who is he? What's he got that I don't have? Does he force you?”

“There is no one!”

“Does he pay you? If I pay you, will you sleep with me?”

“Eric! Stop it!”

“What makes you want him, but not me?”

“There is no one!”

“Then how do you manage? I've been celibate since we started dating three years ago, and I'm going crazy. Don't you have needs?”

“Everyone has needs.”

“Who satisfies yours? No one satisfies mine, since my wife won't let me touch her.”

“I can touch you, I can give you...”

“I want us to be together.”

“That won't happen, unless you force me.”

“I thought you said you didn't want me to force you?”

“I don't!”

“Then why bring it up?”

“I need to tell you something. Sit down.”

“I don't want to.” Tina gave him a long look, then she took a deep breath.

“I'm not attracted to men,” she said.

“Don't talk rubbish, every woman is attracted to men, and every man is attracted to women. It's just a question of the type of man you want.”

“I don't want a man, no matter what type of man he is.”

“That's not normal.”

“That's the way I'm made.” They watched each other, then he went to sit down.

“I've thought about it all week. We'll have to get the aunts involved,” he said.

“The aunts?” gasped Tina, as her blood went cold.

“I'll tell my aunts, they'll tell yours, your family will call you back, and when they return you to me, you'll be ready to touch and be touched.”

“No!”

“It's the only way. I'm a man, I have needs, and my wife won't meet them, what am I supposed to do?”

“I told you to divorce me.”

“No!”

“Then get another woman.”

“What?” asked a shocked Eric.

“Find a woman to sleep with.”

“Don't be stupid!”

“I'm trying to solve your problem.”

“The only way to solve it is for you to fulfil your marital duties.” Tina looked away from Eric, then she sat down.

After a while, she heard him punch numbers into his cell phone. She listened

talked to an aunt of his, telling her that he would be visiting her the following morning. The call ended.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

“Fixing things in my marriage.”

“This is between you and me.”

“It's been between us for months, and nothing’s changed. You obviously need help, and you're going to get it.”

“It's no one else's business!”

“It's everyone's business. I have a right to touch you, you deny me that. I'm not the kind of man that can be unfaithful, it goes against my grain. I refuse to find another woman, and divorce is out, that leaves the aunts.”

“Eric...”

“Are you going to let me see you naked?” Tina pulled her clothes closer to her body. Eric stood, and left the room.

A while later, she found him in the bedroom. He had just showered.

“Dinner's ready,” she said.

“I'm not hungry.”

“I made your favourite.”

“You have it,” he said, climbing into bed. He lay down, switched off the light, and there was silence.

“Please don't involve the aunts,” said Tina.

“Why not?”

“Because they can't help us.”

“You don't know that.”

“Yes, I do.”

“How do you know?”

“I'm not attracted to men.”

“Drop it, Tina.”

“I'm attracted to women.”

“Stop lying! No woman can...”

“It's called being a lesbian in English.”

“You're just trying to...”

“It refers to women who have women as lovers.”

“There's no such thing!” shouted Eric, as he sat up.

“Men are called gay, if they have men as lovers.”

“That's disgusting! You are a normal woman, Tina, you are not attracted to women!”

“I am, ask your business partner, Martina.”

“Ask her what? How I can get into bed with my wife?”

“I made a pass at her.”

“Tina!”

“She declined, I'm not her type, but she understood where I was coming from.”

“Stop dragging Martina into this, it's between you and me.”

“Yes, it is, that's why the aunts should stay out of it.” There was a silence.

“I'll go to a sex therapist, or a psychologist, but they can't cure me,” said Tina. Eric lay down without responding.

“Eric, Eric, Eric,” called Tina. He did not respond. She could tell by his breathing that he was awake. She left the room, packed the food away, then she lay on the couch in the lounge.

She was woken by a noise. She sat up. Eric was going to the front door.

“Are you going somewhere?” she asked.

“I'm going to see my aunts, you heard me make the appointment last night.”

“Don't, Eric, please.” Eric opened the door. Tina ran after him, and put her arms round him from the back. He wriggled free. She held him again, they struggled, then he stilled.

“Can I touch your breasts?” he asked. Tina released him instantly. She watched as he walked to the car. He climbed in, and drove off.

Tina returned to the lounge and sat down, her head in her hands. It was going to be horrible. The only way to avoid the horror that would follow was to leave. Where would she go? It was not month end, she had not yet been paid. She thought of taking Eric's money, and decided against it. She would have to make a plan somehow.

Eric returned towards dusk. Tina had spent the time while he had been away, thinking about where to go, and what to do to survive when she got there. Eric sat down.

“Why haven't you changed?” he asked.

“I can't do this, Eric. I can't have the aunts interrogating me, I can't keep on depriving you, I can't force myself to be what I'm not,” she said.

“I'm your husband, you don't have to deprive me.”

“Divorce me. Divorce me, Eric. It's the best thing for all of us. You can cite irreconcilable differences, or we can have an annulment, since the marriage was never consummated.”

“And how will that look? People will think I'm impotent. No annulment!”

“Then we'll get a divorce. Tell your aunts to forget what you said, and we'll get a quiet divorce.”

“No one in my family has ever been divorced, and I will not be the first one to disgrace the family.”

“Eric...”

“No!” Tina left the room. In the bathroom, she wept as if her heart was broken. When she was done, she ran herself a bath, and sat in the tub until the water was cold. She was woken by a knock on the door.

“Tina, Tina, Tina,” called Eric urgently.

“What?” she returned sleepily.

“Come out of there, are you alright?”

“I'm fine.”

“Come out. Are you coming out?”

“Yeah.” Tina climbed out of the tub, dried herself, and wrapped a towel round herself. She was about to leave the bathroom, when she decided to dress in her discarded clothes.

She opened the bathroom door, Eric was waiting for her.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

“Of course,” she said, looking away from the sadness in his eyes.

“Are you hungry? I'll cook,” she said.

“There's only one thing I want, and it's not on the menu,” said Eric, then he left.

Tina decided to sleep, worrying would solve nothing.

When she woke up Eric had gone out. He had cleaned up and cooked before leaving. He will make some woman a great husband, thought Tina. She heard his car drive up, as she was freshening up. When she was dressed, she went to the lounge, and gasped.

Two of Eric's paternal aunts were in there with him, eating. Tina sat down to greet them, they greeted her, and finished their meal. She looked at Eric, he was giving her an I-told-you-so look. The aunts finished eating, Tina took the dishes to the kitchen. One of the aunts called her back to the lounge, as she started washing up. She closed her eyes, then she dried her hands, and went to the lounge. One of the aunts told Eric to leave, and he left. Tina noticed the aunts looking at her.

“MaMthombeni, what are you doing to my brother's son?” asked aunt Tilda.

“Nothing,” said Tina.

“Exactly. You are his wife. You cannot do nothing. He paid amalobolo, and you pledged before God and everyone, that you’d be his wife. What kind of wife denies her husband his rights? That boy is entitled to his conjugal rights. Why are you denying him? Answer me!” Tina was startled by the raised voice. She did not respond, not knowing what to say.

“Tina, Tina, I'm talking to you. What is the problem? Answer me,” insisted Aunty.

“I'm not attracted to men,” said Tina.

“You married Eric, you must be attracted to him.”

“I like him.”

“Good, then you should have no problem...”

“I can't.”

“Don't be stupid, Tina! Eric is a very good man. He’s the cream of the crop. If he wasn't my brother's son, I'd marry one of my daughters to him. Get your act together, and be the wife he deserves. He shouldn't have to beg for his conjugal rights, you said you’d give them to him when you married him. We'll go, and be back in a week, if nothing’s changed, you’ll be sent back to your people. Will things have improved when we come back? I'm talking to you!”

“No.” The aunts gave her a long look, they looked at each other, then they looked back at her.

“You leave us no choice. We must send you back to your people. They must teach you, again, your duties as a wife,” said aunt Nobesuthu. Tina did not respond.

“You'll be an embarrassment to all of them, is that what you want?” Tina had no response. Aunt Tilda called Eric. Eric returned to the room.

“We have to return her to her people. We'll do it now,” said aunty.

“What?” gasped Tina.

“I told you...”

“Aunty, please...”

“You know what to do. Will you do it?” Tina swallowed, but she did not speak.

“Let’s go,” said Aunty.

In a state of shock, Tina found herself in her own aunt's home. Aunty was looking daggers at her.

“You are an embarrassment, Tina! How can we look the Buthelezis in the eyes, when you do this? Whoever heard of a woman denying her husband his rights? If you don't want to sleep with him, why did you marry him? You shouldn't have married him, now look at the situation you’ve put us in.

“No one in our family has ever been returned to her people. It is known far and wide, that marrying a Mthombeni woman is the best decision a man can make. We are known far and wide for being good wives. No one has ever complained about marrying one of us. How will I tell your other aunts this? What will I tell your father?” demanded aunt Nomonde.

“Aunty...”

“Shut up! Shut up, I'm thinking.” Tina left the lounge, and joined her cousins in the kitchen. It was clear that they had heard everything. She offered to help with the cooking, and everyone pretended not to have heard aunty shouting. After supper Tina lay awake on the blankets that she had been given, to lay out on the floor.

First thing in the morning, her other two paternal aunts arrived. The three aunts had a brief meeting, then they called Tina to join them.

“Tina, what’s the problem? Why have you been returned like a bad woman? I'm talking to you!” shouted aunt Belinda.

“I can't sleep with Eric,” said Tina.

“What do you mean by that? Is he a clumsy lover?”

“No...”

“Then there's no problem. If a man doesn't hurt you, you give him what he needs, and be thankful he's not a monster. Go home and do right by your man.”

“I can't.”

“Wena Tina...”

“I can't sleep with a man. I can sleep with a woman, but never a man.”

“She's crazy! She's lost her mind!” shouted aunt Patricia.

“She's spoilt. Her mother spoilt her rotten, that's why she's this way. The mother must come and sort out this mess,” said aunt Nomonde.

“I've come across something like this before,” said aunt Belinda.

“She's just spoilt!” insisted aunt Nomonde.

“She's being genuine, but it can be fixed.”

“Yes, with a stick. We'll beat sense into her.”

“That won't help.”

“What will?”

“A traditonal healer.”

“Sisi!” gasped the other two aunts.

“A neighbour of mine had the same problem. She took her daughter to a sangoma, and in no time, the girl's husband was a very happy man,” said aunt Belinda.

“We are Christians!” said aunt Patricia.

“So what? Prayers haven't helped, we must try something else.”

“We don't know that prayers haven't helped.”

“Perhaps not, but I know for a fact that a sangoma will help. We'll take this child to the sangoma who helped my neighbour, and in no time, she'll be giving the Buthelezis a child.”

“I'm not going to a sangoma,” said aunt Patricia.

“Me too,” said aunt Nomonde.

“Then what do you suggest? Do we have the means to return amalobolo?” asked aunt Belinda. The other aunts did not reply.

“Let's tell Tim that we're going to a sangoma. If anything happens to this child while we're there, when we haven't told him, he'll kill us,” said aunt Patricia. After a silence, aunt Belinda phoned Tina's parents, inviting them to aunt Nomonde's home. Tina fed the aunts, then her parents arrived.

“Tina, what are you doing here? Is everything alright?” asked Baba.

“Answer him,” said aunt Nomonde.

“This needs delicate handling. Tim, sit down, MaNtuli, sit down,” said aunt Belinda to Tina’s parents. They sat down.

“What's going on?” demanded Baba.

“How are you?” asked aunt Belinda.

“Sisi, I don't have time for niceties. Get to the point,” said Baba.

“Your child is a very big embarrassment, MaNtuli,” said aunt Nomonde, with glee.

“What do you mean by that? Tina, what have you done?” demanded Baba.

“Thula wena!” said aunt Belinda to aunt Nomonde. Aunt Nomonde looked down.

“What is it?” insisted Baba.

“Tim, we need a sangoma to...” said aunt Belinda.

“What? I am a bishop of the church, and I will not...”

“Then pray that your prayers fix your child.”

“Tina?” said Ma, looking at Tina enquiringly.

“She refuses to sleep with her husband,” said aunt Belinda.

“What?” shouted Tina's parents.

“Your wife spoilt her, Tim, now look,” said Aunt Nomonde.

“I'm doing the talking!” shouted aunt Belinda.

“What are you talking about?” asked Baba.

“The Buthelezis have returned this child, because she denies her husband his conjugal rights,” said aunt Belinda.

“Tina, how could you do such a thing? Did your mother not teach you to...” demanded Baba.

“Obviously not,” scoffed aunt Nomonde.

“I've never had any problem from your mother. She knows her duties, why don't you? Answer me!” shouted Baba.

“I can't sleep with a man, Baba,” said Tina.

“Of course you can, since he’s your husband.”

“I can sleep with a woman, but...”

“What?” shouted Tina's parents.

“I can...” said Tina.

“Shut up! What nonsense is this? Where do you even get a filthy thought like that? Ha!” said Baba, thoroughly disgusted. There was a silence.

“I've met this kind of situation before,” said aunt Belinda.

“It’s nonsense, that's what it is,” said Baba.

“The girl in that situation was sorted out by a sangoma.”

“Now you've lost your mind, just like this child. Beat her, and send her back, I don't have time for nonsense,” said Baba, getting to his feet.

“She needs a sangoma.”

“She needs a beating.”

“Unless you have intentions of returning the Buthelezi property, I suggest you take this seriously.” Baba sat down.

“We called you here to tell you that we’re taking your child to a sangoma,” said aunt Belinda.

“You have to be joking!” gasped Baba.

“Because of your position in the church, if word gets out, we'll say we took her to the sangoma without your knowledge. We have to do this, it's the only way.” Baba glared from aunty to Tina.

“What have you got to say for yourself?” he demanded. Tina gaped at him.

“Tim, this is the only way I know to solve this problem. Tina hasn't slept with her husband since the wedding. It's going on seven months now. If the Buthelezis demand amalobolo, they'll be within their rights,” said aunt Belinda.

“Let us pray for her,” said Ma.

“That won't work.”

“Please, my husband, prayer is what we know. Let's try that,” said Ma to Baba.

“And if it doesn't work?” asked aunt Nomonde.

“It will.”

“What if it doesn't?” There was a silence.

“Then you do it your way,” said Baba.

“She's not staying here,” said aunt Nomonde.

“Get your things, Tina,” said Baba.

CHAPTER TWO

Tina was dropped off at her parents' home, with Ma. She sat on her bed, unable to believe that she was there. When she had left, she had vowed never to return to her parents' home. She lay back on the bed, telling herself over and over again, that she had to get out of there.

The door opened, and Ma entered the room. Tina's heart sank. Ma was wearing her pious and self-righteous look.

“Get on your knees Tina,” she said. Tina knelt, Ma put her hands on her head, and started praying at the top of her voice. She asked God to save Tina from the wickedness in her heart and mind, that made her forget to submit to her husband. She called on the demon in Tina to leave.

“Out! Out! Out! I command you to leave now,” she shouted, shaking Tina violently. The prayer was long and repetitive. When Ma tired, she left. Tina sat on the floor, repeating to herself, that she had to leave.

She spent the day in her room, going through options in her mind.

Baba returned after dark. Soon after his arrival, he called Tina. She found him and Ma in the lounge. They told her to kneel, then they took turns, putting their hands on her head, praying loudly, and shaking her violently.

Next evening, Baba returned with several pastors, who joined him and Ma in praying for Tina.

The following evening, Baba hosted a prayer meeting, as he did every Thursday. Tina was told to join the meeting. The time came for people to share what they needed the group to pray about. Several people mentioned jobs, children, and addictions. Baba called on Tina, she said that she had no problem. Ma then told the group that Tina had a demon that made her disrespect her husband, disregard culture, and refuse her husband his marital rights. Humiliated, Tina made to stand. Baba told the group members to hold her, because the demon in her did not want the light of Jesus shone on it.

Tina struggled, as she was held down, made to kneel, then she was prayed over. She closed her eyes, and imagined herself in a hot bath, listening to her favourite Mafikizolo CD. She smiled slightly, transported to a place where she wanted to be. She opened her eyes. She was sitting on the floor, alone in the room.

That's it, no more, she vowed. Ma and Baba joined her.

“Get us dinner,” said Ma.

“Now,” said Baba. Tina stood, and went to dish up the food, then she took it to the dining room. Her parents were already seated there. She turned to leave the room.

“Sit down,” said Baba.

“I'm not hungry,” said Tina.

“Your father said sit down,” said Ma. Tina sat down.

“You'll be alright. On Sunday, I'm going to preach about women submitting to their husbands. After that, pastors, local, and from other branches, will dine here, then we'll pray for you all night. When you return to Buthelezi next Sunday, you'll be a real woman, who carries out her duties to her husband. Nine months from then, you'll be giving birth to your first baby,” said Baba. Tina did not respond.

“You should thank your father for all that he's doing for you. It's not easy for us to have you returned to us in disgrace, as if we didn't bring you up properly. A lot of parents would blame you, and make your life miserable, but we're praying for you, because we're good parents. When you return to your husband, do what we've taught you, and make us proud. Wipe the memory of this disgrace from our minds, and from the minds of your in-laws,” said Ma.

“Aren't you going to say something?” asked Baba.

“Thank you for showing me what I need to do,” said Tina, then she left the room.

In her bedroom, she set the alarm clock, and climbed into bed. She woke before the alarm clock rang, switched it off, then she took a quick shower. She dressed warmly, and switched on the TV, making it loud enough to drown most other sounds. She packed some food into her handbag, took all the money that she could find, then she disarmed the alarm. She stepped out of the house, closed the front door, and walked away.

It was dark, the street lights were off, and she could not see where she was going. She hurt her feet several times, as she walked into potholes, but she kept going. She stopped lifts, begging people to help her to get out of an unbearable situation. Several people left her because she had no money, others helped her.

She arrived at the home of a taxi owner at dawn, and asked to see him.

“MaMthombeni, what can I do for you?” he asked.

“I need to get to Joburg, but I have no money. I'm hoping you'll help me, the way I helped you when...”

“No need to go into details, my girl. Sit here,” said Nxumalo.

Tina tired of waiting, but she could not go back. Nxumalo fetched her, took her to the taxi rank, put her in a taxi, spoke to the driver, waved at Tina, and left. The taxi filled up, and left.

It arrived in Johannesburg after dark. Tina was grateful that the lights worked. She was also grateful that she knew where she was going. Several men whistled at her, and called out to her. She walked fast, keeping her mind on her destination.

She arrived at the block of flats that she was looking for, and took the stairs to the sixth floor. She was exhausted when she stood before the door that she had been looking for. She knocked on it, then she palmed it noisily, as there was no response.

The door opened suddenly, and she felt a gun on her forehead. Her knees went weak.

“Don't shoot, please!” she begged,

“Tina? Is that you?” asked Tim.

“Yes TIM, please don't shoot,” she said.

“You scared me stupid! Get in here,” said Tim, pulling her into his home.

“What are you doing here at this time of night?” he asked.

“I've come to look for a job.”

“I thought you had a job.”

“It ended.”

“Hmm,” said Tim, looking at her closely. She became uncomfortable beneath his scrutiny.

“Get some sleep,” he said. Tina put her arms round him, and started crying.

“It's alright, stop that now,” he said, sounding uncomfortable. Tina pulled herself together, and withdrew from him. He left the lounge and returned with blankets. He handed them to her.

“Goodnight,” he said, then he left. Tina put down her bag, and rolled out the blankets. She climbed into them fully clothed, and fell asleep.

When she woke up, she was alone. She bathed, dressed and cooked the meagre food that was there. She ate a bit, and decided that she would eat Tim out of his house if she did not get a job. She took a taxi to the Johannesburg business district, found a pawn shop, and pawned her engagement and wedding rings.

She knew that the pawnbroker was cheating her, but she took the meagre money that he offered. She went to an internet cafe, drew up a CV, and started sending it out. She also bought a simcard, and registered her phone, using Eric's home address as proof of residence. Her money finished and she went home.

Tim Mike returned after dark. He was exhausted. He showered, and Tina fed him.

“Thank you, it's great to come home and not have to cook,” he said.

“You look very tired,” said Tina.

“Mine work is exhausting. Never go into it, unless you're in management. What I do is donkey work, and I hate that I can't rise above this level. Soon, I'll be too old to do it, they'll retire me, and I'll starve to death. How are you?”

“Fine, Tim.”

“Why did you come in the middle of the night as if you're on the run?”

“I'm not on the run,” said Tina, looking away from him.

“I heard you got married. Is your husband okay with you coming here?”

“I didn't get married.”

“Oh.”

“How’s your family?”

“I don't know. I haven't seen them in a long time. I send money every month, but I don't know if it gets to them. Times are hard, Sisi.”

“Yes.”

“What are your plans?”

“I need to get a job. I started applying today.”

“I can't help you yet, you need to wait for month end. Then, I'll have money for you to travel, and do what you need to do.”

A few days later, Tina found work for the day, cleaning in a restaurant. She hated it, and she was paid less than she had been promised.

“Where were you?” asked Tim, when she returned home. Tina told him about her job.

“You're not going back there,” he said.

“But...”

“I don't want you exposed to drug dealers and pimps. You'll stay here, and come month end, I'll give you money, so you can find a proper job.”

“Tim...”

“I won't have you abused like I am. You're not going back, and no one will come looking for you.”

Tina felt useless, spending the day at home. In a few days, there was no food in the house. When Tim returned from work, he would freshen up, and sleep. Tina felt that if she had not been there, his food might have stretched for him. She cried herself to sleep, accusing herself of being selfish, and coming to starve someone who was helping her.

A few days later, Tim was paid. He brought home food. Tina cooked, and she and Tim stayed up late into the night, talking, and feeling great. Tim gave her money to find work.

Starting the following day, she bought newpapers and searched the internet for work. It was three months before she was called for an interview. She went to it, and came out depressed, and convinced that she would never find work. She should never have left her other job. How was she going to go back, since she had not resigned, or given notice? She cursed herself for not thinking things through.

“I'm worried,” Tim said one night.

“About what?” she said.

“You. This is a nasty neighbourhood. I want you to move out. I don't like you walking about alone, or at night, with all those predatory men watching you, knowing I'm not here to protect you.”

“But...”

“Find somewhere else to live. Your parents will never forgive me if something happens to you while you live with me.”

“I don't work yet. When, if, I get a job, will you come with me?”

“No. I'll never find a place as cheap as this.”

“You said yourself it's unsafe.”

“True, but if I'm alone, I have no one else to worry about. Everyone around here knows not to mess with me. You are another story. Move in with a woman somewhere, and be safe. I know people who can help you to get work.”

“I've been looking.”

“I know my sister, but in this dog eat dog city, connections count.”

“Why don't you get yourself some work that pays better?”

“I'm not educated. If you remember, I didn't even get matric, I went to the war. No one can help an uneducated person. They'll help you.”

“Get educated.”

“With what money? You saw my food situation, and I send what I can, home. There's nothing left for luxuries, such as education.” Tina felt bad about the whole thing. She could not sleep that night, and the next few nights, worrying about Tim.

A week later, she went to the interview that Tim had organised with an employment agency. They sent her to an interview with a company. Days later, she started working.

Tim arranged for her to wait for him at a safe location, he would join her, and they would go home together in the evenings after work.

She was paid weekly, and with her first pay, she bought food fit for a banquet. She and Tim ate well, and slept well. Next day, Tim told her to start looking for alternative accommodation.

Tina enjoyed work. She knew what she was doing as an interior decorator, and her clients were always pleased. She was happy, when her boss, Bette, asked for her inputs on several projects.

She was amazed that Bette valued her opinion. One morning, during a staff meeting, Tina realised that she was staring at Bette. She looked down, and closed her eyes, in an attempt to pull herself together. Behind her closed eyelids, she saw Bette, stark naked, wearing only a garter belt.

Tina opened her eyes, panting in shock and excitement. Bette was standing before the staff, in a black pant suit. Her brunette hair suited her grey eyes. She is gorgeous, thought Tina. Her eyes widened, shocked by her thought. She’s not too tall for me to kiss, thought Tina. She gasped, everyone looked at her, she pretended to cough.

Bette frowned at her with concern, from her five foot eight, medium build. What incredible breasts, thought Tina. She closed her eyes and groaned.

“Tina?” said Bette. What a sexy voice, thought Tina, then she opened her eyes.

“Sorry, I'm fine,” she said. The meeting continued. Why did I have to choose a staff meeting to notice Bette, Tina asked herself.

The meeting ended. As she returned to her desk, Tina told herself firmly, that fantasies about the boss were a no-no, and she would have to make sure that she did not have a repeat episode.

One of her colleagues, Brenda, advertised for a roommate. Tina applied, and Brenda agreed for her to move in. Tim was glad to hear it. He helped Tina to move to Brenda home.

Tina kept in touch with him by phone. She would put some money into his bank account every week, when she was paid.

She felt safer staying with Brenda, who had a car, and gave her lifts to and from work, most days.

Brenda went to visit her family one weekend, and Tina invited Tim to visit her. They ate, then they sat talking.

“Most of my money goes into food,” she said.

“Stop buying food.”

“And eat what?”

“Eat once a day, that's what I do. I eat supper. That's the only way I have money to send home every month.”

“That's starvation, Tim.”

“That's life. Have you been in touch with your parents? They must worry about you. I'll call them and tell them you're safe.”

“No! No, I'll call them.”

“Why don't I believe you?”

“I'll call them.”

“I was always glad they weren't my parents. You must have felt like you lived in a church.”

“Yes, it did feel like that.”

Brenda boyfriend, Nox, moved in with Brenda and Tina. Tina's life turned from sweet, to bitter, in a short space of time. Nox was always making passes at her. She started looking for other places to live, but her budget did not allow for it.

She arrived home one evening, and found Nox alone. He made a pass at her, she ignored him. He followed her to her bedroom, and put his arms round her. She screamed and struggled.

“What's going on here?” demanded Brenda. Nox released Tina, and left the room.

“I want you out of here, now!” shouted Brenda, then she left. Tina sank to the floor, crying. She picked up her phone, and phoned Bette, her boss. Bette arrived in a short time to pick her up. Brenda ignored Tina as she took her belongings out of the house. Bette drove off.

“Are you alright?” she asked. Tina nodded.

“I have never been so scared in my life. When Eric used to touch me, I'd get scared, but that Nox was nasty, really nasty. Eric never forced himself on me,” she said.

“Who is Eric? Tina?”

“My...husband...ex-husband.”

“You're married?”

“I left.”

“I see. Where’s your husband?”

“Durban.”

“Why did you leave?”

“I should never have married him. I can't stand being touched by a man.”

“Why did you marry him?”

“To cure myself.”

“Of what?”

“My desire to sleep with women. I'd spend hours fantasizing about making love to women. I thought I was sick, until I read about it in a magazine. The article said some women even spend their lives together, without shame.”

“Why should there be shame?”

“Because the pastors at my church, and my father, who's a bishop, said it's demonic, and that only the cursed do that.”

“That's not true.”

“I know that now.”

At Bette's home, they took Tina’s belongings from the car, to the house. Bette showed Tina to a bedroom with a bed, chairs, and a dressing table. Tina started crying.

“What's the matter?” asked Bette, putting her arms round Tina.

“This is so nice! I haven't been in such a nice room since I came to Joburg. Thank you for letting me stay with you. I'll be out as soon as possible.”

“Are you hungry?”

“Yes.”

“Get cleaned up, and come and eat.”

After her shower, Tina let her nose lead her to the kitchen. She looked about the house as she went. She found Bette cooking.

“This is a fabulous home,” she said.

“Sit down, it's time to eat,” said Bette. Tina washed her hands, and sat down. Bette brought the food to the table, and they ate.

“That was great, thank you,” said Tina.

“You're welcome.”

“I'll clean up.”

“Go and sleep.” Tina slept with a smile on her face, enjoying the comforts of being in a palatial home.

She and Bette went to work together the following day.She and Brenda could not work together. They could not agree on anything. Many times, their supervisor had to call them to order, as they disrupted their colleagues with their noise and disagreements.

During her lunch breaks, Tina would look for alternative accommodation on the internet.

She realised that she was being given more work. Every day, her work load increased. She found it exciting and challenging.

Bette had staff at home who cooked, washed and cleaned the house. Tina felt as if she was living like a queen, who did not have to lift a finger to do a single stroke of work at home, unless she wanted to.

She found herself finding Bette more wonderful and more attractive each day. Every morning, when she woke up, she would give herself a stern talk, about not fantasizing about Bette, or noticing how gorgeous she was.

One morning, as she and Bette were driving to work, Bette stopped at an office park.

“Are we here to see clients?” asked Tina.

“You're here for an interview.”

“Why?”

“Because I think you're capable of doing more work, and getting paid more money.”

“But...”

“Don't you want more money?”

“Of course...”

“I'll pick you up in an hour.”

“Bette!”

“I have an appointment with a client. Here's who you'll see,” said Bette, giving Tina a business card. Tina took it, and climbed out of the car. She watched in disbelief as Bette drove off.

Why would Bette arrange an interview? She wants me to leave, thought Tina. That thought saddened her. She liked Bette, and she knew that on her own, she was not yet in a position to live the life that Bette had let her experience.

It's for the best. I mustn't be a baby about this, I must be a woman, and stand on my own feet, thought Tina. She stood straight, and approached the building before her.

The interview was gruelling, it was a test of her skills and knowledge. She was exhausted when it ended. Tina followed Alice, her interviewer, to reception. Bette was there. She and Alice greeted each other, then she and Tina made their goodbyes to Alice, and left.

“How did it go?” asked Bette.

“I don't know.”

“We're going to see a client, then we'll go to the office.”

One weekend, Bette took Tina with her on a visit to her parents' home. Tina had refused, Bette had insisted. Tina felt that Bette's family was watching her too closely. She felt as if they thought that she was a thief. She helped with the cooking and cleaning. Her phone rang. Alice was offering her a job, at triple her present salary.

“Are you alright?” asked Bette, after the call. Tina told her about the job offer.

“Go for it. You'll fax your resignation letter from there on Monday,” said Bette.

“But...”

“This is a great opportunity, don't waste it. Phone Alice and tell her you can start on Monday. Phone her.” Tina phoned Alice, and accepted the job offer.

On Monday, Bette drove Tina to her new work place, and reminded her to fax her resignation through to her.

Tina found the new job challenging. There was more work than she was used to, and she would get home and sleep, being too tired to do anything else.

Several weeks later, Tina asked Bette not to fetch her home from work.

“Why not?” asked Bette.

“I'm going house-hunting.”

“That's not a good idea.”

“Why not?”

“Are you going back to your husband?”

“What? No! Why are you asking me that?” asked Tina, very surprised by the question.

“Are you divorced? Tina? If you're not divorced, I suggest you work on getting a divorce. I'll help you find other accommodation once the divorce is out of the way.”

“I...”

“You can't delay this any longer. Don't you want your husband to marry someone else and be happy?”

“I guess.”

“He can't do that while married to you.”

“I know.”

“Set him free.” Tina nodded unhappily. She did not want to think about Eric. Thinking about him brought feelings that she did not want to feel.

“Do you know any good lawyers?” she asked. Bette gave her a business card.

“He's said to be an excellent divorce lawyer. Get in touch with him.”

“He's in Durban. How am I going to see him?”

“Isn't that where your husband is?”

“Yes.”

“Then you'll go there.” Tina felt cold in the pit of her stomach.

“I'll go with you,” said Bette.

“Really?”

“Yes.”

“Thank you.”

“Phone him, make an appointment, and we'll make a plan.” Tina nodded.

She phoned the lawyer, and he started preparing the papers. At work, Tina was getting used to the work load. She was no longer as tired as she had been, when she had started working there.

Several times, when Tina left the office, she would find Bette and Alice talking, while Bette was waiting for her.

“Are you and Alice friends?” she asked Bette one evening. Bette took a while to answer.

“We used to be lovers,” she said.

“Oh! Oh. I don't know what to say.”

“There's nothing to say.”

“I'm so embarrassed about asking you such a personal question. Sorry.”

“There's nothing to be sorry about, and it's not personal. We broke up eight years ago. We're not so much friends now, as we are business associates. Do you like working for her?”

“Yes.”

“She's the best in the business. Learn as much as you can from her.”

Tina phoned her lawyer for an update. He had served Eric with divorce papers, and a court date had been set, in Durban. Tina would have to go there. She told Bette, who said that she would organise herself at work, and suggested that Tina do the same. Alice agreed to give Tina time off, if she would make up for it when she returned.

Bette had business in Durban. The company paid for her to go, she paid for Tina to fly with her.

Tina felt sick to her stomach. She hoped that she did not meet anyone that she knew on the plane. She did not meet anyone she knew. At the airport, they were met by Bette's associates, who took them to their home.

After dinner that night, Bette joined Tina in her room.

“Have you spoken to your husband since you left?” she asked.

“No! What would we talk about?”

“Why you're getting the divorce.”

“But...”

“Phone him, and make an appointment to see him.”

“Whatever for?” asked a shocked Tina.

“To tell him there's no going back.”

“The divorce papers told him that.”

“Go and see him, Tina, for closure. I'll come with you.”

“It's unnecessary.”

“It's very necessary.”

“He'll bring my parents, they'll tell me to go back to him, and I will. I always do what they tell me to do.”

“Did they tell you to go to Joburg?”

“Well, no.”

“See him.” They shared a long look. Tina looked away from Bette's grey eyes, feeling as if she was drowning in them.

She picked up her phone, invoked private number, and phoned Eric. His phone rang a long time. She was about to cut the call, when he answered his phone. Tina's heart pounded even faster.

“Hello?” said Eric. Tina gasped.

“Hello?” Eric said again.

“Eric,” said Tina. He drew a breath.

“Tina!” he said.

“How are you?”

“How do you think I am? My wife desserts me, then she sends me divorce papers from across the country. I...”

“Can we meet? I can't talk right now.”

“Meet? Now you want to meet?”

“Is tomorrow good for you? I think we should talk before we meet in court.” Her heart was thundering, as she listened to his silence. He named a place and time, she agreed, he cut the call.

“He's furious, and rightly so,” said Tina.

“He'll get over it.”

“I have a bad feeling about this meeting.”

“I'll be with you, nothing will happen.”

“It's just that...”

“Do you want to go back to him?”

“No!”

“Then get over your bad feeling. You're doing what's best for both of you.” They shared a look.

“I'm scared,” said Tina.

“I know, it will be alright. Get some sleep,” said Bette. She kissed Tina's cheek, and left.

Tina hardly slept, and she could not eat the following day. After her appointments, Bette fetched her, and they went to meet Eric.

They sat in the car, outside the meeting place. Tina kept listing the terrible things that would happen.

“Calm down,” said Bette. Tina took several deep breaths, then she gasped.

“What is it?” asked Bette. Tina pointed at a man walking some metres away from them, on his way to the restaurant.

“Is that him?” asked Bette. Tina nodded.

“Let's get this out of the way,” said Bette. Tina closed her eyes, and took several more deep breaths. They climbed out of the car, and walked to the restaurant. Tina spotted Eric. He was sitting alone, at a table. She was relieved that her parents were not there.

“Do you mind if I see him alone?” she asked.

“Call me if you need me, I'll be at the bar,” said Bette, and she walked off. Tina approached Eric.

He looked at his watch, then he looked up. He watched her as she walked towards him. She stood before him, then she sat down. She greeted him. He nodded. A waiter came to take her drinks order, then he left. She looked at Eric, he was watching her.

“You look well,” she said.

“What do you want?” he asked coldly. No words came out of her throat. Her drink arrived, and she picked it up with shaking hands. She took a big gulp, then she put it down, spilling some of it with her shaking hands.

“What are you so scared of?” asked Eric.

“You.”

“I'm not going to hurt you.”

“You are so mad.”

“I have a right to be. I never, ever, saw myself being abandoned, and then divorced by my wife. Where have you been?”

“I'm sorry.”

“About what?”

“That we didn't work out.”

“You didn't give us a chance.”

“I should never have married you.”

“Why did you?”

“I hoped you'd cure me.”

“Cure you?”

“Of my attraction to women.”

“You left me for a woman?”

“No!”

“Then why did you leave?”

“Because I can't change who I am. You and I will never work. I’ll never work with any man.” Eric watched her as if she was speaking a language that he did not understand.

“Thank you for being man enough to not force yourself on me,” said Tina.

“I would never do that.”

“I'm really sorry.” Eric watched her in silence. The silence stretched, Tina became uncomfortable under his scrutiny. She scratched behind her ear, and he smiled.

“You look so sweet when you do that. I used to fantasize that we'd have a daughter who’d do just that, when she was nervous, and turn me to mush, just like her mother,” he said. Tina swallowed.

“I love you, Tina,” said Eric.

“I love you, too, but...”

“You're not attracted to me.”

“It's nothing personal. You're a wonderful man, and a wonderful husband.”

“Then why divorce me?”

“Because...”

“You hate men.”

“I don't hate them, I just can't be intimate with them. I hope you find a woman who appreciates you, and treats you right.”

“I hoped I'd found that with you.”

“I'm sorry.” Eric sat back, and watched her.

“Since you've been gone, I've been so angry. I forgot how human you are. I built up an image of a monster, and I intended to use everything in my power to make your life miserable.”

“Oh.”

“Now that I've seen you...” Eric shrugged.

“I'm really sorry.”

“That doesn't make me feel better.” Tina bit her lower lip, stuck for what to say.

“I have to go,” said Eric, and he left quickly. Tina watched him, wishing that she had never married him in the first place.

“Are you alright?” asked Bette.

“Yes,” said Tina. She had not noticed Bette joining her. She paid for the drinks, and they left.

They went to court together the following day. Tina was relieved that neither her parents, nor Eric's, were there. The divorce was granted. Tina met Eric outside the court house.

“Good luck,” she said. He looked at her out of hurt eyes. She felt her heart squeeze with pain.

“I'm so sorry,” she said. He shrugged. She hugged him. She felt him stiffen in surprise, then he held her. He released her, and walked away quickly.

“Are you alright?” asked Bette. Tina threw herself into her arms, weeping.

“What's the matter?” asked Bette. Tina cried a while, then the tears stopped.

“I can't believe it's over. He was so civil about everything,” she said.

“That's good.”

“I should never have married him.”

“He obviously doesn't hold grudges, he'll be fine.”

“I want to go home, I don't want to be here anymore.”

“Okay, we'll go to Gary's.”

“I want to go home, to Joburg.”

“I'm not done here.”

“I'll go alone. I need to go.”

“Okay, let's see if we can change your ticket.”

“Will you bring what I left at Gary's house, please?”

“You really want to go.”

“I have to.”

“I'll bring your things.” At the airport, Tina was able to catch the first flight out, which was leaving in three hours.

CHAPTER THREE

At home, she sat hugging a cushion, feeling as if a weight had fallen off her shoulders. She returned to work the next day. In the evening, the house felt empty without Bette. Tina missed her very much over the next few days. She took to sleeping in her bed, and wearing one of her T-shirts in an attempt to feel close to her.

She was asleep one night, when she heard a noise in the house. Her heart pounded with fear. She sat up. The sounds that she was hearing were footsteps. A door opened and closed, then the footsteps became louder. The intruder was coming towards her.

Tina sat frozen, listening. The bedroom door opened. She put a hand on her mouth, her eyes wide with fear. The light came on, and she felt weak with relief.

“Bette? What are you doing here?” she asked.

“What are you doing here?” asked Bette. Tina looked round the room.

“Sorry, I'll go,” she said, making to get off the bed.

“I looked for you in your room, and you weren't there. Why are you here?”

“I was out of line, I'm sorry.”

“Why are you here, Tina?”

“I missed you, I wanted to be close to you.” They watched each other.

“I'll go,” said Tina.

“Stay. I don't want to be alone.”

“Are you alright?”

“No.”

“How can I help?”

“Hold me,” said Bette, as she stripped. She put on a sleep shirt and climbed into bed beside Tina. Tina put her arms round her. They found comfortable positions, and settled.

In a short while, Bette was asleep. Tina moved closer to her, smelling her hair. It smelled good, just like Bette. Tina told herself to behave. She forced herself to think about work.

Her alarm clock woke her. She switched it off, and groaned. She opened her eyes. Bette was lying beside her, fast asleep. Tina studied her closely. Her hair was all over the place. Her mouth was slightly open. She is so beautiful, thought Tina. She climbed out of bed, and went to freshen up.

When she was ready for work, she stood looking down at Bette. Unable to stop herself, she caressed Bette's hair. Bette did not waken. Tina stroked her hair over and over again, loving the feel of it. She caressed Bette's cheek lightly, then she gasped. Bette's eyes were open, watching her.

“It's time to go to work,” she said. Bette did not respond, she just watched her. Tina realised that her hand was still on Bette's cheek. She withdrew it.

“Should I make you breakfast?” she asked.

“No, I'm off today and tomorrow,” said Bette.

“Oh, okay. Have a good day.”

“You too. Take the car.”

“Thanks, bye,” said Tina.

She smiled as she drove to work, admitting that she had enjoyed touching Bette. She had even been excited. She had touched Eric, but there had never been excitement. Her smile faded. She would have to leave. She was thinking of taking advantage of someone who had been good to her. She had no right to expect Bette to return her feelings.

She wondered about Alice and Bette. Had it been easy for Alice to part from Bette? She would not find it easy to leave Bette, but it had to be done, the sooner the better.

After work, she went to see several places that were being rented out.

“Where have you been?” demanded Bette, when Tina returned home. Tina gasped, she had never seen Bette that mad.

“I'm talking to you!” shouted Bette.

“I went to see some flats.”

“Why?” asked Bette, clearly surprised by that response.

“So I can move out.”

“No!”

“But...”

“You're not moving out. Don't you like staying here?”

“Yes, but...”

“But what?”

“I don't pay rent, I feel like I'm taking advantage of you.”

“Then pay rent, but don't leave.”

“Bette...”

“Don't you want to be here?”

“I do.”

“Then there's no problem. Dinner will be ready in half an hour. Do you want to freshen up?”

In the shower, Tina admitted that she would not last a week without touching Bette. She would make a fool of herself, and embarrass them both. She would have to leave.

“What's the matter? You used to be happy here, but now...” said Bette. It was a week later, and they were dining.

“I can't do this anymore. I need to move out,” said Tina.

“Why? Don't you like it here?”

“I love it here.”

“Then why talk of leaving?”

“Because I'll do something stupid, and spoil everything.”

“I don't understand.”

“You’re the best friend I've ever had, but I'm likely to spoil that by coming onto you, and making you uncomfortable, and then you'll never want to see me again. I don't want to lose your friendship.”

“You want to make a pass at me, Tina?”

“I want to sleep with my arms round you. I want to taste your kisses, and I want to love you till you scream with pleasure...I can't believe I just said that! I need to leave,” said Tina, clearing the table to hide her embarrassment.

“Why?” asked Bette. Tina looked at her in disbelief.

“Because I've offended you!” she said.

“No, you haven't.”

“You're not mad at me, or offended?”

“No.”

“You should be.”

“Why?”

“Because it was indecent of me to say those things. I can't imagine what came over me.”

“It's not indecent to me.”

“But...”

“Sit down. Tina, sit down.” Reluctantly, Tina sat down, watching Bette.

“Why do you think I helped you with the divorce?” asked Bette.

“Because you're my friend.”

“Because I want you married to me.” Tina's heart pounded in shock.

“What?” she whispered.

“We wouldn't have a valid marriage if you were married to someone else.”

“I don't understand.”

“I'm in love with you, I want us to be together.”

“Oh!”

“When you're ready, we'll work on our relationship. I haven't said anything before because I didn't think you were ready. I'm not going to be a rebound woman that you get rid of. I want to be with you for the rest of my life.” Tina gaped at Bette in disbelief.

“I won't rush you into anything. We'll take our time, so that you're as sure about being with me, as I am about being with you,” said Bette. Tina shook her head.

“Don't be afraid,” said Bette.

“I am afraid.”

“Of what?”

“Getting what I want, and messing it up.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I've always fantasized about being in a relationship with a wonderful woman. I always thought it was impossible, and now, here you are, and I'm gauche and inexperienced. It can only lead to disaster.”

“We'll work on it, don't worry.”

“Our families...”

“We can't live for other people. We have to live for ourselves.”

“What happens now?”

“That depends on you. If it were up to me, we'd register to get married,” said Bette.

“Bette!”

“I started falling in love with you when you moved in with Brenda. If you remember, we were working together a lot, then.”

“Yes.”

“We can carry on as friends, until you're ready for a relationship, unless you're ready now.”

“I want to kiss you. Does that make me ready?” Bette smiled.

“Let's see how it goes,” she said.

“Can I kiss you?”

“Anytime.” Tina went to sit beside Bette. She examined her face closely, then she caressed her cheek, chin, and lips. She moved her head closer to Bette's, and kissed her gently. They shared several short, gentle kisses. They watched each other, and kissed each other again. The kiss was longer. They panted when it ended, watching each other.

“How do you do that?” asked Tina.

“Do what?”

“Turn me on so quickly? Just caressing your cheek excites me senseless.”

“You're highly sexed, that's good. However, I'm not going to make love with you until we're married.”

“Bette! I'll never marry you. Women don't marry each other, no one allows that.”

“It's legal in this country.”

“Oh, come on!”

“Look it up under home affairs. Are you a virgin?”

“What?”

“Are you a virgin?”

“Yes.”

“When we finally make love, I'll make it very good for you. Will you marry me?”

Tina gasped in shock.

“I'll give you time to think about it. I love you,” said Bette.

“How can you say that?”

“It's true.”

“You should keep it to yourself.”

“Our relationship is nothing to be ashamed of. You're tired, get some sleep.” Tina gave Bette a last look, and went to her bedroom, in a daze.

Next morning, she sat watching Bette, as she ate.

“What's wrong?” asked Bette.

“I want to kiss you,” said Tina, with a pounding heart.

“Why don't you?” Tina sat beside Bette, looking deep into her eyes. She expected to see laughter or disgust in them, she saw curiosity. She kissed Bette gently, over and over again. Bette kissed her back. Tina deepened the kiss. Bette withdrew from the embrace.

“What's wrong?” panted Tina.

“We have to get to work,” said Bette.

Tina sat staring at Bette all the way to work. Bette parked her car where Tina worked.

“You should go,” she said.

“I want a kiss,” said Tina.

“Later.”

Tina was impatient for the work day to end. Bette phoned her, to say that she was working late, and would not be fetching Tina from work. Tina was disappointed. She went home, and waited and waited for Bette.

She woke up when she heard a car drive up. She had been lying on a couch in the lounge. She looked at the time. It was five o'clock in the morning. She stood. Bette entered the house.

“Where have you been?” demanded Tina.

“At Joan's.”

“You should have let me know.”

“I told you not to wait up.”

“I phoned you several times, and you didn't answer your phone, I thought something terrible had happened to you.” Bette put down her handbag.

“I couldn't sleep here last night,” she said.

“You live here! Where else would you sleep?”

“I've never been as excited by a kiss as I was by yours.”

“That's good,” smiled Tina.

“No, it isn't! I don't know if, or when, you'll marry me, and I told you, I won't make love to you till we're married.”

“Everyone has premarital sex.”

“Not us.” Tina watched Bette curiously.

“Were you and Alice married?” she asked.

“No. Same sex marriages were not legal then.”

“Did you sleep with her?”

“That was different.”

“How?” Bette looked away from Tina.

“How was it different?” asked Tina.

“I didn't love her as much as I love you. I didn't live with her for months, fantasizing about her, while she was married to someone else, and therefore off limits. I knew that if she and I separated, I'd be alright. If you and I separate, I'll fall apart.”

“Bette...”

“I think you should leave.”

“What?” gasped Tina.

“Find another place to stay, until we're married.”

“Bette!”

“I can't live with you and not touch you.”

“Then touch me.”

“You need to go.”

“I have no place to go!”

“Then I'll go.”

“There's no need for that.”

“I'm going.”

“I don't want you to.”

“Will you marry me?”

“Yes!” They shared a long look.

“I'm off to Joan's,” said Bette.

“I said I'll marry you!”

“I'll come back the day we get married.”

“But...”

“I'll call you, we'll register to get married, and after we marry, I'll come back,” said Bette, then she left the lounge. Tina followed her, and found her throwing clothes into a suitcase.

“I'll go,” said Tina.

“Where? You said you have no place to go. Stay here, you'll be safe,” said Bette. She closed her bag, and left. Tina followed her to the car, where she threw her bag into the boot, climbed into the car, and left.

Two days later they met at home affairs, and registered to marry. Bette hardly looked at Tina. Tina noticed the home affairs official looking between them, as if he was wondering why they were bothering to register, when they were not even talking to each other.

Tina missed Bette. She slept in her bed, and spent hours, going over their times together. One night, she decided to move her clothes into Bette's room. They would be sharing it after they married, it made sense to Tina to put her clothes in there. She rearranged the room, and made room for her clothes in the drawers and cupboard.

She decided to buy doilies, and other pretty, feminising things, for their home. She had less time to miss Bette, as she was busy with the house. She wanted Bette to be surprised, and pleased, when she returned.

She bought herself a dress to get married in, then she hired caterers to make her and Bette a wedding day lunch.

On the day of the wedding, the caterer delivered the food to Tina. Tina dressed, then she took a cab to home affairs.

The marriage ceremony was brief. Bette had brought Joan as a witness, Tina had asked a colleague of hers, James, to be her witness. After the ceremony, Bette thanked the witnesses, and gave them each an envelope. They were surprised. Tina invited them to lunch. They looked at Bette, more surprised. Bette shrugged. Tina joined James in her car, and they went home.

Everyone enjoyed lunch, then James and Joan left. Tina cleared the table, while Bette went to freshen up.

“Hi,” said Bette. Tina turned from the sink, to look at her.

“Hi,” she said, looking Bette over. She was in a short skirt that showed off her great legs.

“You look nice,” said Tina. Bette smiled, and approached her. She put her hands on her cheeks, then she kissed her. Tina returned her kiss, then she broke it, gasping, as she felt Bette's hand on her bare breast. She had not been aware of her unbuttoning her blouse, and releasing her bra clasp to touch her breast. She looked at Bette, Bette's eyes were on her breast.

Tina gasped again, feeling things that she had never felt in her entire life. She clung to Bette as her knees had buckled. She gave a louder gasp, as Bette's hand slid down her belly, towards her panties. She held onto Bette's hand, and Bette stopped lowering her hand.

Tina stepped back, and started covering her body.

“What is it?” asked Bette.

“I...I have to finish clearing up.”

“I want to touch you,” said Bette. Tina turned away from her, feeling shy and embarrassed to be feeling that way. She gasped, feeling Bette's hands on her waist, and her front down her back.

“Are you nervous?” asked Bette, her head on Tina's shoulder. Tina nodded.

“I forgot that you've never done this before,” said Bette. She took a deep breath.

“I can wait,” she said.

“Sorry,” said Tina.

“Don't be. That meal was great. Thank you for thinking of it. I like what you've done with the house.”

“Really?” said Tina. She turned to look at Bette.

“Really, you have great taste, and you've made this a home.” Tina smiled with pleasure.

“You have a beautiful body,” said Bette. Tina looked down, shy and pleased.

“I can't wait to get my hands on you. Let's go visit my parents.”

“What?”

“I want to tell them we're married.”

“Bette!” gasped Tina. She was shocked that Bette would even think of doing such a thing.

“Come, if we don't go, I'll be all over you.” Tina felt her heart pound with excitement.

“Are you ready for me to...?” asked Bette. Tina shook her head.

“Get your handbag, let's go,” said Bette.

“Will your parents be okay with our union?” asked Tina.

“We'll find out when we tell them.”

“I don't want them to kill either of us.”

“They won't. Relax, it will be fine.”

They drove off in silence.

“How are you?” asked Bette.

“I'm fine, I missed you. You lost weight.”

“I missed you, too.

“I'm glad we're together.”

“I'm glad you feel that way, because I'm not going to divorce you.”

“You might need to.”

“I don't do divorce. Whatever problems we face, my darling, we are going to solve them, and stay married.”

“Why do you look so scared?” asked Mom, Bette's mother.

“She's afraid you'll stone her,” said Bette.

“Why? We're not racists.”

“She knows that.”

“Then what's the problem?”

“We got married.”

“What?” gasped Mom. Dad choked on his tea.

“Tina and I got married,” said Bette. Her parents stared from her, to Tina. Mom looked back at Bette.

“Well, congratulations,” she said.

“Thanks, Mom,” said Bette. Mom stood, and spread her arms. Bette stood, and hugged her. Tina was surprised when Mom invited her into a hug. She stood, and hugged her. Dad hugged them too, as he congratulated them. Everyone sat down. Tina was shocked that there were no words of recrimination from either of Bette's parents.

“Well, Tina? How much lobola are you going to pay me?” asked Dad.

“Excuse me?” said Tina, thoroughly shocked by his words.

“In your culture, when someone marries your daughter, you charge lobola, don't you?”

“Yes.”

“I want two head of cattle.”

“Dad! You're going to make her leave me,” gasped Bette.

“If she's serious about you, she won't leave. I'll only recognise this marriage after I receive lobola.”

“Daddy!”

“After we receive lobola, we'll give you a wedding reception.” Tina sat gaping at him.

“Daddy! Now you've really frightened her,” said Bette, putting an arm round Tina's shoulders.

“Are you alright?” she asked. Tina nodded.

“Yes,” she said, looking at Bette.

“Don't worry about what Dad said. He was joking.”

“No, I wasn't,” said Dad.

“Stop it, Dad,” said Bette. Tina looked at Dad.

“I'll pay,” she said.

“Tina!” gasped Bette.

“I'll need at least three months, then I'll pay,” said Tina.

“No!” said Bette. Tina looked at her.

“It's a father's right to ask for amalobolo,” she said.

“From a man!”

“You didn't marry a man, my girl, so I'm charging the woman you married,” said Dad.

“We're not black, it doesn't apply.”

“Tina's black.”

“Dad! It's human trafficking.”

“Only if your daughter will be abused. I don't believe Tina will abuse you.”

“I will never abuse you, Bette,” said Tina.

“There you are. Tina, should I be discussing this directly with you?” asked Dad.

“No, but no one will agree to be a woman's negotiator, we have to talk directly.”

“What do I call you?”

“Tina.”

“Traditionally, I wouldn't call you that.”

“This is not a traditional set up.”

“Then forget the lobola,” said Bette.

“No,” said Tina and Dad. Tina took Bette's hand in hers, kissed it, and looked deep into her eyes.

“Don't worry, everything will be fine,” she said.

“I don't think...” said Bette.

“It's okay. This is between me and Dad.”

“But...”

“He's being very reasonable. He could have demanded thirty head of cattle, and fined me another ten for marrying you without his blessing.”

“What?”

“So let's be thankful he's asking for two.”

“I don't want you to pay it.”

“Do you want your parents to accept our marriage?”

“Of course.”

“Then I have to do this. I want to.”

“You do?”

“Sure.”

“I’m not property.”

“Of course you're not property.” They shared a long look, then Bette nodded. She yawned. Tina thanked her in-laws for their hospitality, then she took Bette home.

Bette went to sleep immediately. Tina sat watching her. After a while, she joined her on the bed.

She took a long time to sleep, marvelling that she was married to a person whose touch did not repel her. She was going to pay amalobolo. She had never seen herself paying them, but she was looking forward to it.

The following day at work, she spent her lunch time calculating how many lunch and overtime sessions she would need to work, in order to pay off amalobolo on time.

When the following week ended, Bette glared at Tina.

“What's the matter?” yawned Tina.

“I don't like you working overtime.”

“I can't pay amalobolo if I don't work long hours.”

“Put a stop to it.”

“But...”

“Stop buying grocery. I'll take care of everything until you've paid off the lobola, but no more overtime.”

“Thanks, I'm exhausted,” said Tina.

“That's why I don't like it.”

Tina was promoted at work, and she loved the challenges. She was able to pay amalobolo off in two months. She gave Dad the cash equivalent of five head of cattle.

“I only wanted two head of cattle,” he said.

“Bette's worth a whole lot more than that.”

“I'm glad you realise that. We'll let you know when we'll hold the reception for you.”

“You don't have to.”

“We want to. We held receptions for all of Bette's siblings, we'll hold one for Bette too. Invite your parents when the time comes.” Tina laughed incredulously.

“What's so funny?” asked Dad.

“My parents are the staunchest Christians alive, there is no way they’ll come to our reception, or recognise our union.”

CHAPTER FOUR

Tim phoned Tina.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

“I'm fine, how are you?”

“Fine. I was home for a month.” Tina's heart seemed to stop.

“How is everyone?” she asked hollowly.

“I want to see you,” said Tim. Tina was relieved that he did not answer her question. They arranged a time and place to meet that evening.

When they met, Tim evaded her hug. Her heart quailed with fear. He sat down, and she followed suit.

“Where do you live? I've been to the place where you lived, and that house mate of yours spits when she utters your name,” he said.

“I moved.”

“You didn't tell me.”

“Sorry,” said Tina, feeling guilty for not having kept in touch. She had soothed her conscience by putting money in Tim's bank account every month.

“Do you live in a safe place?” he asked.

“Yes.”

“Good. You lied to me.”

“About what?” asked Tina, as her heart pounded with fear.

“You said you never married. I met your parents.”

“Oh!” said Tina. Her throat felt dry.

“They didn't know that you were in Joburg,” said Tim.

“Oh.”

“They told me you disappeared in the middle of the night, abandoning your husband, then you divorced him, without informing his, or your parents.”

“Oh.”

“They blame me for giving you shelter, and the money to get a divorce.”

“You didn't!”

“I had to work hard to convince them that I hadn't. Why didn't you tell me the truth?”

“I was afraid you'd have made me go back.”

“I would never have done that.”

“I'm glad. Please forgive me.”

“There's nothing to forgive.”

“Then why didn't you want me hugging you? Tim?”

“I met someone.”

“Someone?”

“A woman. We moved in together.”

“Oh! What about the mother-of-Lindiwe?”

“She's far away, this one is here, and I hate being alone. She's on a call, she'll join us soon. She's very jealous. She'd try to scratch your eyes out if you hugged me.”

“I'm your sister!” Tim shrugged.

“I hope you're using condoms,” said Tina. Tim choked on his drink.

“I don't want you dying any time soon,” said Tina. Tim looked away from her.

“Go and get tested for HIV/Aids, and then use condoms. It's really dumb to die because of sex, even if it is good sex,” continued Tina.

“She'll leave if I say we should get tested. She'll think I don't trust her, or that I'm seeing someone else.”

“If she leaves, you'll have another forty years of life, instead of being dead in five.” They shared another long look.

A woman joined them. She sat beside Tim, a possessive hand on his forearm. Tim introduced her as his friend, Tina. They all had dinner, then Tina invited them to her home, to meet her wife.

“To meet your what?” asked Tim.

“My wife,” said Tina. Tim looked at Tina in disbelief. Tina giggled.

“Your wife?” said Tim to Tina.

“I got married, to a woman,” said Tina.

“That is disgusting! What made you do something like that? Sis man! It's creatures who do that who make for broken homes by taking on cultures they know nothing about. You were married to a man, what was wrong with that?”

“I can't be married to a man.”

“I'm not sitting here listening to this nonsense. Let's go, Tina,” said Tim, getting to his feet. He put money on the table, and left. Tina looked at Tina, then she followed Tim. Tina went home.

“Are you alright?” asked Bette.

“Yes.”

“You seem preoccupied.”

“We need to go for HIV/Aids testing, I don't want to make you sick.”

“You're a virgin, and I'm healthy, there's no need to...”

“My cousin that I went to meet is going to catch a disease or diseases, and be dead in a short time. I don't plan on joining him, nor do I plan on being without you. We are going for testing!” shouted Tina.

“Alright! Alright,” said Bette. Tina subsided. Bette approached her, and kissed her. The kiss heated quickly. Tina gasped, feeling a hand between her legs. She and Bette were startled by a ringing phone. Bette broke the kiss, and cursed.

“I have to take that,” she said. She kissed Tina hard, and left. Tina smiled, dazed. She showered, and joined Bette in bed. Bette looked at her as if she had stripped her.

“We have to get tested,” panted an excited Tina. Bette nodded, and looked away. Tina climbed into bed beside her, kissed her, and lay down. They had to get tested soon, she could not wait to get intimate with her wife.

Two days later, they went for testing. They were both healthy. They drove home in silence. Tina was driving, Bette had a hand on her knee. As soon as they closed the front door, they started kissing, and taking off each other's clothes. Tina stood back from Bette, admiring her.

“You are magnificent,” she said.

“You are a gorgeous flatterer, come here,” said Bette, drawing Tina towards her. She kissed her, took her hand, and led the way to the bedroom. She kissed her again, and they stood beside the bed.

Tina put her hands on Bette's cheeks, kissing her back. She ran a hand down Bette's cheek, to her neck, then towards her breast. She caressed and fondled it, then she broke the kiss, and kissed Bette's breast. She was pleased when Bette clutched her head closer. Her heart was pounding with excitement, and she could feel Bette's heart pounding as well.

She was startled by the ringing of the doorbell. She felt Bette clutch her closer. The doorbell rang again. Bette cursed, and released Tina's head. Tina looked round for something to wear. She threw on a dress, then she remembered that their clothes were lying all over the entrance hall.

She ran to pick them up, as the doorbell rang even more urgently. She threw them in the linen cupboard, then she went to open the door.

A slender, blonde-haired, beautiful woman was standing before her, carrying flowers, and a box of expensive chocolates. The woman had been smiling, her smile vanished when she saw Tina.

“I'm looking for Bette,” she said.

“Jodie? What brings you here?” asked Bette, from behind Tina. Jodie smiled, and focused on Bette.

“We need to talk,” she said.

“There's nothing to talk about.”

“Things didn't end right, I think I need to explain myself, then we'll take it from there.” There was a silence. Tina turned to look at Bette. She was looking at her with an unhappy expression on her face. Tina turned to the visitor.

“Hi, Jodie, come in. I'm Tina, Bette's wife,” she said. Jodie had been looking at her with distaste, now, the distate turned to shock.

“Bette's what?”

“I'm her wife.” Jodie looked from her, to Bette. Tina looked at Bette too. She looked as if she had been caught red-handed, doing something wrong.

“Can Jodie come in?” asked Tina.

“No! She and I were done quite some time ago. There's nothing to say, Jodie,” said Bette.

“I think there's plenty to talk about, such as a breach of contract,” said Jodie.

“Breach of contract?” parroted Tina.

“Bette and I were engaged.”

“Oh!” gasped Tina, looking at Bette.

“You left, Jodie, so who breached the contract, me, who is where I've always been, or you, who went gallivanting who knows where? Get out of here, and if you come anywhere near me, I swear I'll get a protection order against you. Go!” shouted Bette, then she banged the front door shut, and walked away, clearly furious.

Tina followed her to the bedroom, and found her crying.

“Bette?” she said. She put her arms round her, and Bette went to the bathroom, and locked the door. Tina sat listening to her crying. The sound was too terrible to bear.

She decided to take a walk.

“What are you still doing here?” she asked Jodie, who was still standing outside the front door.

“She's crying, I can hear her. I should never have left. I never meant to break her heart. I'm here now, and I'll make her happy again. You can see for yourself, Tina, I'm the best person for her. Take your things and leave.”

“I'll call the police if you don't leave.”

“It's me she wants. You're just a rebound woman.”

“I am not!” shouted a distressed Tina.

“How long have you known her?”

“Long enough.”

“She and I were together for two and half years, then I got scared and left. I'm back now, and...” Tina started dialling on her cell phone.

“What do I need to charge someone who’s trespassing?” she asked the person on the other side of the phone. She gasped as Jodie took the phone from her, and cut the call.

“I'm going, but I'll be back. I'm the only one who can heal Bette's heart. Find someplace else to live, you won't be living with us when we get back together again,” she said.

“Go away!” said Tina menacingly. Jodie left. Tina took a brisk walk, furious with Bette for not telling her about Jodie, and furious with herself for being afraid of losing her.

No one is getting a divorce, she vowed, as she entered her home through the front door.

“Tina? Where did you go?” asked Bette, she had changed clothes, and her hair was wet.

“Who’s that woman? Do you want her back?” demanded Tina.

“No! I don't want her back.”

“She said you'd get rid of me and take her back.”

“I'd rather live with a crocodile than live with her.” Tina gave her a long look, and felt better, reading sincerity in Bette's eyes.

“Did she break your heart?” she asked.

“Yes.”

“Did you come to me on the rebound?”

“Where is all this coming from?” Tina felt cold in the pit of her stomach. She leaned back on the wall behind her.

“Do you want me to leave?” she asked hollowly.

“Of course not!”

“Are there other women I should know about?”

“No!” Tina slid down the wall and sat on the floor. Bette knelt beside her.

“What's the matter?” she asked.

“I'm not divorcing you. Even if you leave me, I won't divorce you,” Tina said fiercely.

“Good, because I don't want a divorce from you.”

“Tell Jodie to go to hell, and never come back, do I make myself clear?”

“Yes,” smiled Bette, then she kissed Tina. Tina kissed her hard. She held onto Bette's shoulders when Bette broke the kiss.

“I have to go,” she said.

“We just got here!” said Tina.

“There's something I have to do.” Tina watched as Bette stood, and fixed her clothes before the mirror. She stood too.

“Are you going to see Jodie?” she asked. Bette looked at her.

“Yes.”

“No!” Bette looked surprised.

“You want to rekindle old flames, and I won't have it,” said Tina.

“I want nothing to do with her.”

“Then you don't need to see her.”

“You told me to tell her to go to hell, that's what I'm going to do.”

“Bette...”

“The sooner I go, the sooner I can be back,” said Bette. She kissed Tina's cheek, and left.

I won't sweat and make myself sick. I'll trust Bette not to fall in line with Jodie's wishes, Tina said to herself. She prepared supper, then she bathed. She ate, and waited late into the night, but there was no sign of Bette.

She had finished preparing for work next morning, when Bette returned.

“Why did you take all night with her? Are you leaving me?” demanded Tina.

“Joan was in a car accident,” said Bette. Tina gasped, and felt wicked.

“I am so sorry,” she said, going to put her arms round Bette. Bette leaned into her.

Tina kissed her cheek. Bette put her arms round her.

“How is she?” asked Tina.

“Fine. She was in shock, and Tim’s away, so I went to keep her company. She couldn't sleep. I left you a message. You must have been asleep.”

“I'm sorry I shouted at you.” Bette nodded.

“I'd better get ready for work,” she said, as she left Tina's arms. Tina made breakfast, and packed it for them both. She met Bette in the entrance hall.

“Let's go,” she said.

In the late afternoon, Bette phoned Tina, apologising for not being able to fetch her, as she had gone home to rest. Tina caught a taxi home.

She met Jodie at the gate.

“Pack your bags, Tina, I'm coming home soon,” said Jodie, then she left. Tina stared after her, her heart pounding. She went into the house, and found Bette asleep. She freshened up, dished up dinner, and invited Bette to eat with her.

Neither of them could eat.

“Is everything alright?” asked Tina. Bette looked at her as if she was surprised to hear her voice.

“Is everything alright?” repeated Tina.

“Yeah, sure.”

“You're distracted.”

“I'm worried about Joan.”

“Let's go and see her.”

“I'll go.”

“I want to come with you.”

“I'll be gone for several days.”

“Why?” asked Tina, with a pounding heart.

“She needs looking after.”

“What about us?”

“Us?” said Bette, looking at Tina as if she was mad.

“We need to work on our marriage.”

“I'll be back.”

“Maybe I'll be gone.” Bette left the room without a word. Tina felt fear grip her. She heard Bette open and close the front door, then she heard her drive off.

Over the rest of the week, Tina phoned Bette, and Bette did not pick up her phone. On Friday evening, Tina took a cab to Joan's home.

A party was in progress. There were many people. She looked for Bette all over the place. She eventually found her in a bedroom, seated on a bed, talking to Jodie.

“We're done, Jodie, I never want to see you again,” she said.

“You love me.”

“I love someone else now.”

“You can't have switched affections so quickly.”

“You've been gone two and a half years.”

“I'm back now.”

“I'm married, and I like it that way.”

“Give us another chance.” Bette stood.

“Stay away from me, Jodie, I mean it. If you don't, I'll be forced to talk to Greg about us.” Jodie gasped.

“You wouldn't do that,” she said.

“Greg is your husband, I don't know many husbands who like to be cheated on, as I don't know many wives who like that. Tina would be upset if I took up with you, and it would break my heart to be separated from her. Stay away from us,” said Bette firmly, then she turned towards the door. She stopped in her tracks, a surprised expression on her face.

“Hi,” said Tina.

“What are you doing here?” asked Bette.

“Looking for you. Can we go home now?”

“Yes,” said Bette. Tina glanced at Jodie, then she took Bette's hand, and led her away. She drove them home.

“I'm sorry I was gone so long,” said Bette.

“What was taking so long?”

“For a short while, I was confused by Jodie's arrival.”

“You said you weren't leaving me!”

“I'm not. I talked to Joan, and she helped me to confirm that it's you I want, not Jodie. I'm sorry I didn't tell you what was going on.”

“Are you sure now that you want me for life?”Are you sure now that you want me for life?

“Of course.”

“Good.”

At home, they lay awake in the dark, listening to each other breathe.

“She told me when we met, that she’d leave Greg. I held onto that, that's why we even got engaged, so when her divorce was finalised, we'd get married.

“She stood me up on one of our dates, and that was the last I heard of her. She wouldn’t take my calls, or see me at her offices. Eventually, I stopped trying to get in touch with her.

“When you came into my life, I’d decided to find someone available, and willing to be with me full time. I started falling in love with you, and the more I get to know you, the deeper I fall in love with you.”

“Then why were you confused?”

“We had no closure. I needed to talk to her, and understand, and get her to understand, that she did us both a favour when she left.”

CHAPTER FIVE

Next afternoon, Bette took Tina out to lunch, to make up for neglecting her. They were walking to their table, when Tina heard her name called. She froze.

“What's the matter?” asked Bette.

“Tina. Tina. Tina, come here,” the voice shouted.

“Tina?” said Bette.

“That's my father,” said Tina.

“Why does he sound angry?”

“I didn't tell him when I left Durban, and I haven't been in touch since I came here.”

“What do you want to do?”

“I'll go and talk to him. Sit down, things will be ugly,” said Tina. She felt cold, and weak in the knees. She was startled to feel a hand holding hers.

“I'm coming with you,” said Bette. Tina looked at her, and nodded, then she led the way to her father. Be brave, for once in your life, be brave, and stand up for yourself, she said to herself.

Baba was seated with Ma, and other bishops, and pastors, with their wives. Tina smiled thinly. She gave a general greeting to the bishops, pastors, and mothers.

“Tina, how could you leave in the middle of the night like a thief, and then divorce your husband? You know the church doesn’t allow, or recognise divorce,” said Baba. Tina could not think of a thing to say.

“Where’s your head scarf? I taught you never to greet your elders bare-headed,” said Ma.

“When I left home, I was coming to a restaurant, I didn’t know I’d meet the elders,” said Tina.

“You see how insolent she is now. Johannesburg is a bad influence on everyone. Tina, you're coming home with us after the conference. We'll pray for you, and you'll go and make up with that young man whose heart you broke.

“Do you know how embarrassed we were when our in-laws came to demand that we return amalobolo because you’d abandoned your husband? We couldn’t even tell them where to look for you, because we didn’t know where you were. You’ll go home with us, and we’ll return you to your husband,” said Baba.

“I can't go with you,” said Tina.

“Oh, yes, you can. Why haven't we seen you at the conference?”

“I'm no longer a member of your church.”

“Of course you are.” Tina took a deep breath.

“Bette, these are my parents, Bishop and Mrs Mthombeni. Everyone, this is Bette, my wife,” she said.

“What?” said Ma and Baba.

“Bette and I are married,” said Tina.

“Married? Married to a woman? What abomination is this? Bishops, pastors, she refused us the chance to pray for her, and now, here she is, saying she married a woman. How will she face God when the time comes? Did you think of that, Tina, before indulging in this act of depravity?” demanded Baba.

“Excuse us,” said Tina. She turned and walked away, drawing Bette with her.

“Tina. Tina! Get back here! Get back here, unless you want me to disown you,” shouted Baba. He was on his feet, his voice getting louder and louder.

Tina's heart was pounding. She was afraid that the pastors would come after her. They did not follow her, and she heard them calming Baba.

“I disown you! You are no longer my child, you ingrate. You have disrespected our culture and God. If I’d had a son, none of this would be happening,” shouted Baba.

Tina and Bette sat down at their table. Tina closed her eyes, and breathed deeply. She opened her eyes, and looked at Bette. She gasped in excitement. Bette was looking at her as if she wanted to strip her, and make mad love to her.

“Let's go home,” said Bette. Tina stood, Bette took her hand, and led her out of the restaurant. Outside her car, Bette kissed Tina senseless. Tina leaned on the car, her knees had given out on her. One arm round Tina's waist, Bette used her other hand to open the car door for Tina. Tina sank gratefully into her seat, and closed her eyes.

She opened them when Bette started driving. She used the backs of her fingers to caress Bette's cheek, then she sat watching her. Bette glanced at her as she drove, then she parked the car outside their front door.

They climbed out of the car quickly, and rushed into the house. Tina undid Bette's top, as Bette locked the front door. Tina gazed at Bette's breasts, then she put a hand on each one, and stroked gently. Impatient to touch her skin, she undid Bette's bra, then she touched her bare breasts. She caressed them, then she played with the nipples, before sucking on one of them.

She felt Bette's hands raising her head, then Bette kissed her. They stripped each other, kissing the skin that they had exposed. Tina kissed Bette deeply, then she started leading her to their bedroom, stopping frequently to kiss Bette.

In their bedroom, they sat on the bed, kissing.

“Okay?” panted Bette. Tina nodded.

“I won't stop today,” said Bette.

“I'm glad,” said Tina. Bette caressed her breasts, then she kissed them in turn. Tina closed her eyes, excited beyond measure. She opened her eyes, and caressed Bette's hair, nape, back, then she raised her head, and kissed her. She caressed her breasts, and lowered her hands to Bette's belly.

She gasped as Bette sucked harder on her breast, and lowered a hand down her belly, and past it, to stop between her legs. Tina gave an excited cry and lay back. She made room for Bette's hand, which was caressing her in a way that made her heart pound with excitement, and her body fill with pleasure. She writhed on the bed, enjoying the caresses, but also feeling that she was being deprived of something.

“Bette!” she panted. She opened her eyes, as Bette caressed a place that seemed to zap her body into a more excited state.

“Bette!” she said, as Bette's finger-caress increased the pleasure in her body. She panted and writhed in excitement. Bette straddled her hips, to keep her in place, and continued to caress that excitable bundle of nerves. Tina stiffened, then her body shuddered with joy and excitement.

When she had stopped shuddering, she opened her eyes. Bette was lying beside her, leaning on an elbow, smiling at her. Tina drew her head towards her and kissed her. The kiss heated, Tina pushed, Bette rolled onto her back. Tina broke the kiss, and caressed Bette's breasts. She licked and sucked them in turn, then she kissed her way down Bette's body. She caressed her belly, then she caressed her between the legs. She felt the wetness between the petals, and became excited to be exciting Bette. She caressed Bette the way that she had caressed her, and Bette shuddered and shivered in pleasure. Tina held her, then she kissed her cheek.

Bette stilled and put her arms round Tina. Tina lay beside her.

“That's a smug look,” said Bette. Tina smiled.

“I pleased you! I didn't think I could do it first time round,” she said. Bette kissed her.

“Are you alright?” she asked.

“Fabulous, and you?”

“Great. Let's get cleaned up, I'm starving.”

They ate after freshening up.

“Are you upset about what happened with your parents?” asked Bette.

“No, it was bound to happen at some stage,” said Tina. She and Bette went to sleep afterwards.

“I want us to go on a honeymoon,” said Bette at breakfast. Tina smiled.

“I've never been on one,” she said.

“You were married.”

“The honeymoon was me cleaning my mother-in-law's home.”

“Oh.”

“That's our culture.”

“Where was your husband?”

“Having the time of his life, I think, but I don't know.”

“Oh. That sounds odd.”

“I hope Mom doesn't expect me to clean her home.”

“If she does, we'll hire cleaners.”

“Bette! It has to be the bride's sweat.”

“Then we're not doing it. Where would you like to go? I'm thinking of the Victoria Falls. Have you been there?”

“No.”

“It's close, it's said to be beautiful, and I know someone who can get us a great deal on it.”

“Sounds good to me. Are they homophobic in that country?”

“Yes.”

“Maybe we should go someplace else.”

“We'll be fine and it will be fun, you'll see.”

“Have you ever been there?”

“No, but Joan went, and she raves about it. I'll look into it tomorrow.”

Next evening at dinner, Tina was playing with her food.

“Is everything alright?” asked Bette.

“I got a call from Eric.”

“What did he want?” demanded Bette.

“To meet.”

“Is that right?”

“There's nothing to get mad about.”

“I'm not mad!”

“Then why did you throw your eating utensils? I've never seen you do that before.”

“Are you going to meet him?”

“Yes.” Bette stood, and took her half full plate of food off the table.

“Bette!” called Tina, as Bette left the room. Tina followed her.

“You can come with me,” she said. Bette stopped walking and looked at her.

“Really?”

“Of course. He needs to see that I've moved on. Okay?” said Tina.

“Okay.”

“Don't be mad, I'm not interested in him.” Bette kissed Tina deeply.

Tina arrived first for her meeting with Eric. He joined her shortly afterwards. They sat watching each other.

“How are you?” asked Tina.

“Lonely.”

“I'm sorry.”

“I miss you. I want my wife back,” said Eric.

“I can't come back.”

“Let's try again.”

“No.”

“It might work this time.”

“It won't. I haven't changed, Eric,” said Tina. Her eyes left Eric, and she smiled, watching Bette approaching. Bette kissed her cheek, and sat down beside her.

“Bette, this is Eric, my ex-husband. Eric, this is Bette, my wife,” said Tina. Eric looked from Bette to Tina in surprise.

“Your what?” he said.

“My wife,” said Tina.

“You can't have a wife! You're a woman, only men have wives,” Eric said in consternation.

“Bette and I are legally married.”

“Don't talk rubbish. That can’t be legal anywhere. Come back to me and stop this nonsense.”

“I won't do that, Eric. You and I are finished, for good.” Eric stared at her.

“You look so normal,” he said.

“I am normal.”

“Then how can you talk such rubbish?”

“It's the truth. I'm sorry for hurting you. Find someone else. I'll never be what you need.”

“Why did you meet me?”

“You're my friend.”

“I don't want to be your friend!”

“Friendship is all I can offer you.”

“Then keep it!” said Eric, getting to his feet. He glared from Tina to Bette, then he stormed off.

Tina looked at Bette.

“Are you alright?” asked Bette.

“Yes, thanks. Let's go home.”

EPILOGUE

Mom and Dad held a reception for Tina and Bette. Bette went to her parents’ home the night before the wedding.

Tina was nervous on the day. She drove herself to the venue in Bette's car. Mom met her, and led her to the gazebo, where the reception was being held.

“This is beautiful,” gasped Tina.

“You like it?” asked Mom.

“Of course. Thank you for this.”

“Be good to my Bette.”

“I will.”

“That's all I ask. Your bride will be here soon,” said Mom, then she left. Tina knew Bette's sisters, Joan and Louisa. They introduced her to the extended family, and to some family friends.

When it was time, Tina stood at the altar. The wedding march played, and Bette came down the aisle on Dad's arm. Tina gasped, Bette looked beautiful in a cream wedding gown, with a veil and train.

Tina felt gauche and out of place in her ruby, knee length dress. She had had it made especially, but it paled beside Bette's gown.

Bette reached Tina, they held hands, then one of Bette's cousins, Bridget, guided them as they made personalised vows.

After the vows, everyone had lunch, then Bette and Tina opened the dance floor. Tina was glad that she had taken a few dance lessons in her youth. It occurred to her that there should have been a wedding rehearsal.

“You're gorgeous,” she said to Bette. Bette beamed at her, and Tina felt her heart fill with joy. Other people joined the dancing, then Dad asked to dance with Bette.

Tina found herself dancing with Joan.

“I've never seen Bette this happy. Whatever you're doing to her, keep doing it,” she said. Tina smiled.

“Thank you for introducing me to everyone,” she said.

“You're a member of the family now. I expect to see more of you when Bette comes to see me.”

“Thank you,” smiled Tina.

After the dancing, Tina was led to a car by Joan. Bette joined her, in a different outfit. Tina gasped, realising that there was a 'just married' sign on the car.

“Let's go, you're driving,” said Bette. Tina drove off to loud cheers and clapping from Bette's family. She waved and hooted.

As soon as they were out of sight of the family home, Tina stopped the car, and burst into tears.

“Tina, what's the matter? What is it?” asked Bette.

“Your family was so nice to me,” wept Tina.

“What's wrong with that?”

“It's so unexpected.”

“You're a member of the family, we're nice to each other in my family. It's our family now.” Tina smiled.

“Our family. I like the sound of that. Thank you for giving me our family,” she said.

“How can I not give them to you? You're the most important person in my life, and I want to share them with you. Are you alright to drive?”

“Yes.”

“Let's go home.”

They freshened up, and climbed into bed, exhausted.

“This is for you,” said Bette, giving Tina an envelope. Tina opened the envelope, and perused it’s contents, then she gasped, and looked at Bette.

“Thank you,” she said.

“You have to be at all board meetings, and I expect productive inputs. When you're given a task, I expect you to do it, Tina. Don't slack off just because we're married,” said Bette. Tina threw her arms round her, and held her tight.

“I can't believe you gave me shares in your very successful business,” she said.

“You have to take care of your investment for it to take care of you,” said Bette.

“I'll do that, Bette, don't worry about it,” said Tina. She felt Bette withdraw from their embrace. She looked at her, then she watched Bette's lips, as she brought her face to hers. They shared a long kiss.

“I love you,” said Tina. Bette drew back to look at her closely.

“Are you sure?” she asked.

“Absolutely.”

“That's great. I love you, too. You do know that?”

“I know,” said Tina, kissing Bette.

###

GLOSSARY

Amalobolo/lobola - Money or cattle paid to bride’s family by groom’s family as thank you for raising a woman who will bear children and grow their family

Baba - Father

Tim - Brother

Sangoma - Traditional spirit healer/medium

Sisi - Sister

Wena - You

Yeyi - Hey

Thula - Quiet

Thank you for reading this story. I hope it transported you to an interesting realm and brought you joy.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
46 Reviews


Points: 241
Reviews: 46

Donate
Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:15 pm
EnigmaticSpirit wrote a review...



EnigmaticSpirit here to review your chapters!

This was a lengthy but interesting read as I have never read a story like yours before. I have to say that I found the plot of the story to be realistic and fascinating. I like the cultural references as they make your story even more unique than it already is. However, there is already room for improvement.

I cannot go through every single nitpick because it would take too long and my review would be far too lengthy to read. On the other hand, I can go through the elements that you are missing in your story.

The first element that your missing is the description of the surroundings. Whilst reading your story, I found it to be difficult to picture the settings and the scenery in my mind. I would have liked to have been able to imagine what the rooms in the people's homes looked like etc, etc. You could have done this by describing what furniture the rooms contain and their appearances.

The second element is emotion. Although there are small snatches of emotions during the dialogue (you seen to use the word "outrage" the most), there is hardly any emotion involved. One example I can point out is when Eric is trying to persuade Tina to get into bed with him but there is no emotion described. Another occasion is when Tina is just about to go to court but her feelings and emotions are not described. This leaves some unanswered questions such as how does Tina feel? Does she feel scared? Does she feel panicky? Is she stressed out by this situation? and so on.

The third element is characterisation. I would've loved to have learned more about the characters: what they are like, what personalities they have etc, etc. Especially the protagonist. Nevertheless, I still found it easy to connect with the protagonist and to see through their eyes. Please do not take this into account as you are the author of this piece, not me!

I believe that these elements are the elements that you need to work on the most, and this is just a suggestion. Overall, I thought this was a good story with a lot of potential that could be improved further to become fantastic. I like this story but I felt as though it could have been padded out more.

Happy Writing! :)




Random avatar

Points: 2227
Reviews: 157

Donate
Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:04 am
arianaSarroyo wrote a review...



Well then. This was quite the lenghty piece! However, it was entertaining so that made up for it. There were many areas that I liked, such as the humor and the whole idea. But I do think that there are areas that you could improve upon. For instance, the dialogue. There is so much of it. Is this supposed to be like a play or a story? I'm not saying that it's bad to have a lot of dialogue, but I felt like every other line was "Said ----" or "said a shocked ------". Try to change that up a bit.

I did find the wording choice here to be interesting though. The names were also unique as well. So I must say that overall, I enjoyed reading this. I do hope though, that you take my suggestions into consideration to improve this work. However, if you choose not to do so, that is fine as well.




Shamishane says...


no i'll try improve it... and thankyou that you liked my story...
P.S. i am not much a good writer and and my english is not so good but i;ll try....




I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
— Dr. Seuss