Qualm Meadow Chapter 16 (tidbit)

by champ321

Despite the danger in being mauled by herds of miniature pigs and flocks of flightless birds the four year old ventured on armed in nothing but overalls, a red undershirt, and boots – a wicker sack strapped to his back.

In the middle of the inclining valley is where the gigantic sea turtles had gone to graze beneath the soft rays of the sun and blue skies. The tortoises were well over the height and length of Junior while some were seemed to be larger than other small cars. But they were slow and tired and most of them slept while others roamed in circles of grass plucking patches away from the earth. On down the declining valley the wild flocks and small pigs were battling the giant tortoises in numbers back into the sea and away from the nests they had dug into the sands on the shore. Oinks and honks and snorts and grunts among squalls and squawks and gulls and calls echoed through the high stone walls of the valley.

The beautiful scene and the raucous clangor of war only excited Junior and he was running down the soft green slope. Only he met the war with little break as his way was either blocked by a wall of hard pink skin and black hair. The pigs shoved Junior as if they were little bumper cars all while the mean birds jumped in the air and flapped their wings only to rain poop down on the boy as he tried to gain his way on through. Then the birds came down and plucked at the skin on his face and ripped out what hair he had on his scalp. Some of the menacing doo-doo type birds tried to rip his red shirt right from the boy’s chest. So surprised was Junior that he made it back up the slope with his life – so disheartened was he under such traumatizing conditions that his efforts were for not even one egg.

He hadn’t even made it five minutes in the fray before it became too overwhelming. He felt like a failure and he did not want to be seen as one. A giant tortoise stalked by him as the boy sulked on the soft green grass and Junior watched as the slow beast made his way down the slope in what seemed like forever. Only when the giant tortoise met the battlefield of small flightless birds and pot belly pigs did Junior see the squabbling riot split and they let the tortoise back through to the ocean with little harm – unless from the tortoise that could snap either pig, bird, or small human clear in half. When another, even bigger, giant tortoise slowly ambled his way downhill and by Junior did the light bulb flash in the youths mind.

The metallic, soupy like trail of poop that the tortoise was leaving in his wake upon the green blades of grass as it made its way down the valley slope could have been a silver lining as Junior raced down hill and vaulted atop the beasts’ shell.

It was a slow ride but slow enough for the boy to stand and atop the tortoise he had to be at least ten feet tall. Junior prepared himself as the tortoise broke the front guard of the pig and bird battle field. As he expected the battling sea split like the coming of Moses. The pigs bullied on while the flightless birds squawked curses at him from the feathered and feces ground below. Some tried to jump and catch flight long only for Junior to swing his wicker backpack and smack them out of the air.

Before long he had reached the nesting grounds, it was less of a war here and more a standoff between the pigs, birds, tortoises, and the sea. More than a few nests were successfully invaded and dug up by either pig, bird, or both. Some were still being guarded by tortoises that lay atop their sanded nests surrounded by flocks or herds daring either to come closer than they already were. The tension was high as Junior’s tortoise neared the water and he remembered his grandmother’s warning about the water. The tension broke when Junior’s feet met the ground after he vaulted from the back of the tortoises shell. It seemed the birds were waiting for him and before he knew he was surrounded by flat billed flightless birds looking to pluck every inch of skin from his tiny body.

Junior wailed as he tunneled through the circle of birds knocking them away with the wicker basket. He headed straight for a nest that was being protected by giant tortoises and mounted the first he could. There he was safe from the beaks of those vicious birds but he was still without eggs. He saw that a few pigs had managed to find their way around the tortoise whose shell he sat upon. The pigs were digging up eggs without the mother tortoise knowing and eating everyone they found. Junior knew it would not be long before the pigs were noticed by the greedy birds so he vaulted down from the tortoise.

As it turned out the pigs were not vicious like the birds, they allowed Junior to share in their bounty and let him dig up dirt. Junior knew to keep the all-white eggs and to discard the pink and blue spotted ones. He found a few before the birds finally found where he had run off to. The few pigs he was with were no match for the enormous flock as they tried to bully them away. Junior did his best to remount the top of the tortoise only he lost his footing and fell flat on his back crushing the loose eggs beneath him on the ground.

The scent must have driven the pigs and birds wild because they were on him like fire plucking and ripping at his clothes. So afraid Junior grabbed whatever he could, which happened to be a blue spotted turtle egg, and chucked it at the nearest bird. The egg broke and splattered all across the doo-doo’s body. The bird was slick with baby turtle guts and in turn the flocks of birds were on it. Plucking the feathers from its plump body as it was frantically chased away.

Free of the animal violence another light bulb lit up in the young boys mind and he gathered every egg he could into his wicker backpack and remounted his tortoise. With a vengeful heart Junior through an egg at every bird he saw – which there was at least five of those flightless things for every pig, at least ten for every tortoise. He popped them from the air as they tried to fly high and poop. Junior cracked them as they ran. He bombed innumerable eggs down on groups of menacing birds as he gained way through the fray and back up the valley floors. It proved that the pigs really did eat anything, especially anything covered in turtle egg.

“I told you I need the white eggs.” His grandmother started.

“I know, Gunga. The other one’s my weapons.” Junior said, proudly displaying his battle wounds and torn clothing. “I’ll be back with more.”

StoneHeart wrote a review...

Hey Champ, Black back for a real quick comment/ review (yeah, this time it's really gonna be quick).

This here chapter tidbit had many of the same problems of the previous one, plus a few more. The action needs to be presented in smaller sentences, you need to use more imagery, and this time you need better description and pacing. This is a violent little piece of time. It helps show a lot about the kid. Make it. Expand on it. You have a really striking scene here I do believe. I think you should try to really show it as such.

You can do better than you are doing. The idea is super cool, and the whole scene seems really interesting . . . but you seriously need to actually GIVE us something more to handle with. Otherwise we won't be able to visualize things the way we want, and need, to. I advise you to expand on things, describe the setting better, and use more direct action and less indirect action and summary.

Also, no need to be so into the poop. It really feels like you're overdoing it there. >> But that's probably just me being dumb. In the previous tidbit I reviewed, you used really good imagery, but in this one you didn't do so well. You seemed content looking down on the scene from 'out there' without really using the neat, cool imagery on the base level.

Here're a few quick nit-picks that I want to point and that'll be it!

Junior wailed as he tunneled through the circle of birds knocking them away with the wicker basket.

I thought it was a sack just a few lines before. Keep an eye on what you say. Mistakes like this are usually overlooked by reader's, but it's really best to keep them out of your style. Proof-reading gets them usually.

As Olive noticed here, this sentence makes no sense. The 'in' should be 'of' and you need comma's after 'birds' and 'on'. The '-a wicker sack strapped to his back' is messy. You could find a better place to put it in. Also, how can you be 'armed' with your clothes? You can be armed with your fists, or you can 'have' something . . . your wording here is severely messed up. Work it out!

Junior did his best to remount the top of the tortoise only he lost his footing and fell flat on his back crushing the loose eggs beneath him on the ground.

This sentence is very awkward. You should re-view it with yourself. I think that there's no need to 'remount the top of the tortoise'. Just 'remount the tortoise would do. The end of the sentence feels wrong too. Also, you DO know that there's a HUGE difference between turtle and tortoise? A turtle lives in the water, and a tortoise lives on the ground. You can't have one be both. It's one or the other. These here, if I'm not mistaken, should ALL be turtles. Not tortoises. Small thing.

With a vengeful heart Junior through an egg at every bird he saw

I think you mean 'threw' and not 'through'. I'm kind of surprised about mistakes like this -I'll just assume that you're not a native English speaker because of it, or you misspelled threw and left clicking it just got you a different word. Anyway.

There we go! Good luck with your writing! Work on the action, the imagery, and description -and your grammar. You're really doing a great job, and this story is really seeming super interesting so far. Remember: KEEP WRITING! Don't and you will just go downhill! So DON'T!

~Black~

OliveDreams wrote a review...

GOOD AFTERNOON! Here to review your work on this fine review day. I will review as I read so that it makes much more sense to both me and you. I tend to get mixed up otherwise and forget some really good bits!

Here goes!

“Despite the danger in being mauled by herds of miniature pigs and flocks of flightless birds the four year old ventured on armed in nothing but overalls, a red undershirt, and boots – a wicker sack strapped to his back.” - I think it should be, 'despite the danger OF being mauled, the herds....' to make it make a little more sense.

“Oinks and honks and snorts and grunts among squalls and squawks and gulls and calls echoed through the high stone walls of the valley.” - I really like your imagery here. I really feel like I can see and hear everything as though I'm actually there!

I think you need a lot more commas through out the entire piece but the only advice I can give you when it comes to this is to read it aloud to yourself. You'll be able to hear where you naturally pause.

I like that you've let Junior sulk in the sand. It makes the reader warm to him straight away.

“With a vengeful heart Junior through an egg at every bird he saw – which there was at least five of those flightless things for every pig, at least ten for every tortoise.” - You need to change 'through' to 'threw' to have the correct spelling.

Overall – I really enjoyed this chapter! It was sweet and most definitely action packed! I really like the character of Junior and you had me rooting for him from the start. You're very talented with your descriptions but you need to make sure you really try hard when proof reading your work. Lack of commas and spelling mistakes can be distracting for your reader even though we all know how easily it's done.

Good luck and I look forward to reading more of your work!

HAPPY REVIEW DAY!

Olive <3

History repeats itself. First as tragedy, second as farce.
— Karl Marx