The Irregular Painting

by dreamwalkeramrita

Every day, for the past six months I had watched the new girl paint in the park.

The other art students fumbled with their equipment feverishly, hurriedly, as if afraid that they would vanish with their vapid, vacant inspirations. I almost felt disgusted, watching their ruthlessly business-like brushes jerk along to faceless technique upon their blank, expressionless canvases.

But the girl always seemed disinterested in her canvas and the waiting palette. She would run her fingers along the sparse grass, watch the clouds scudding with the whims of the wind, her eyes unfocused, searching, always searching.

And then suddenly she would accost her sleeping canvas, its blind eyes unseeing. Her right hand, so fragile and beautiful, would clasp the eyelash-lidded brush in its vein-laced grasp. And quietly, softly, she would paint gentle caressing strokes, like she was awakening a dream asleep in itself.

While her counterparts devoured canvas after canvas greedily, in a matter of mere days, she worked unceasingly on her single canvas. Every day her painting budded and grew, petal by petal. It was the form of a flower, but it was a living, breathing flower, the colours alive with her changing moods. Butterflies slowly bubbled into existence from formless sloshes of wayward flames of contrasting hues. Some fluttered near the crown of the flower, and some were strangled by tendrils that shot up from the heart of the flower’s cruel red mouth. Shadows crept around the smiling voluptuous lips of the hungry face, eating away the velvet petals, bleeding into the blue of the fading background. The flower began to shift slightly, veering towards the left of the painting, imbuing a disturbing, jarring asymmetry.

At first I felt apprehensive of approaching her, but my piqued interest soon overcame my inhibitions.

After the first month of my secret ruminations about her work, and after completing the usual banal pleasantries and introductions, I asked her what she was painting, and why.

“I started out painting what I thought was a vivid, fertile flower…But somehow it seems to have become something else entirely. I don’t know what it is anymore,” she answered, her mouth twisting into a smile.

“So the captured butterflies represent the reapers of nectar becoming the hunted…it could mean a lot of deep things,” I ventured.

“No, I think it’s just morphed into some kind of Monster Flower…” she laughed light-heartedly, disparagingly, but I thought her eyes looked so delightfully earnest.

“Is the asymmetry deliberate?” I asked.

“Of course! I am an art student after all…I wouldn’t make that kind of mistake!”

I was captivated by everything about her, her willing smile, her seriousness, the charming blasé ease with which she embraced the possibility of being different. What had started out as a vague interest in seeing the creation of art, as a sort of closure to my own unrequited artistic impulses became a daily pilgrimage. I cajoled her into giving me her number, asked her out to coffee, and bored my friends with unceasing anecdotes about her endless eccentricities. I haunted the park with unbecoming lover-like tenacity in the hope of seeing her, talking to her, watching her paint her strange changing canvas.

At last her painting was finished. I was effervescent with blooming praise, complimenting her on everything from the hue of the petals to the unsettling sense of restlessness her painting seemed to embody. She blushed, and her eyes, timid for someone who had created something so visually arresting, grew bright and hopeful.

“I hope my teachers like it…My class mates have finished so many paintings, and I only have this one.”

“Don’t worry,” I reassured her, wondering why she needed encouragement from me, wondering where her indomitable fearlessness had vanished, “I’m sure they’ll appreciate it.”

And then I understood. She was baring her soul openly to the world, to a merciless world, that only wished to categorize everything into safe, neat parcels. She was afraid of the risks she had taken because they were a personification of herself. The possible rejection meant more than dry, impersonal criticism.

I left the park that day, hoping, praying, that my words would be portent of the future.

I did not see her for the next couple of weeks. She seemed to have vanished suddenly from the face of the earth.

She did not answer my increasingly frantic phone calls. As a last desperate resort that embarrassed me beyond measure, I even went to her apartment, which seemed empty. She no longer appeared in the park with the other students. I waited in vain, heedless of the jeering attention and mockery I inevitably attracted from the students.

One day I had been sitting on a park bench adjacent to the main road, when I saw her, carrying her usual art equipment. I resisted the urge to rush to her, and walked calmly towards her, as if I had not been waiting for her.

“Oh hi,” she said breathlessly.

“Hi,” I said, “You haven’t been coming to the park? Where have you been?”

“Yeah, well…” she said evasively, and I saw that her left hand was heavily bandaged. She looked different somehow, more subdued; something seemed to have been quenched from her. Her mouth seemed to have grown more tired; it did not lift itself into a smile as readily as before.

“My teachers didn’t like the painting,” she said, in a hollow voice, “They especially hated the asymmetry. They told me to center the flower.”

“I know it’s unconventional, but didn’t you explain how you wanted it to make the viewer feel uneasy and all that?” I protested.

She shrugged her slight shoulders in studied nonchalance; I could see the pain in the shifting, awkward fingers of her undamaged hand.

“So how did you center the flower?” I asked.

She looked me in the eye then, a dying dimple bruising her cheek. Her slender fingers reached up to her face in a nervous gesture, and my gaze strayed again to her injury.

“I cut the canvas.”

Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:23 am
Deanie wrote a review...

Hey Amrita,

It took me a while to get there but I remembered I said I would look at some work! Better late than never, right? :P

So, all I can say is wow. Beautiful imagery there with how she painted, with her feeling the grass and going through the motions. I think it was the best part of the story. I also really liked the ending, with how it finished with "I cut the canvas". A very chilling ending :)

I like the picture by the way! Really suits the whole story. I also really like the language you chose throughout the whole story. I loved reading this :D

I can't really give you much criticism, but keep writing!
Deanie x

Thank you so so much! :)
Your review made my day! :)

manisha wrote a review...

Hey there!
Happy Review day!

Firstly, this was a great story. You have a beautiful style of writing. Your descriptions are great too.
The picture has your signature on it? Is it yours? Its a nice picture. :)

"The other art students fumbled with their equipment feverishly, hurriedly, as if afraid that they would vanish with their vapid, vacant inspirations."
I do not know why but this was my favorite line.

And quietly, softly, she would paint gentle caressing strokes, like she was awakening a dream asleep in itself.

Nice quote.

I love the concept of mysterious girls with an alluring personality. You have captured that mystery very well here. If there was something I had a problem with then it is with the protagonist. I understand that you do not want to give him much character and concentrate on the girl but I suggest you hint some insights into his life too. Maybe his gender for instance?

I loved the end, leaving much to a reader's imagination.

Overall, it was a great story! I loved it!

Keep writing :)
-manisha

Yes, I made the picture and that is my signature....:)
Making the protagonist ambiguous was deliberate, but I guess I should have mentioned that he was a guy.
I had written a detailed end when I first wrote the story, but changed it to this vague one...
Thanks again for reading and reviewing my work! :)

RedBird wrote a review...

Hi there! I'm your secret Santa, here for a review!

First things first: I loved this story! The themes, your writing style, all of it was great! To be honest, I only had a few quibbles.

My main issue (and this may just be me) was a slight disconnect with the narrator. You don't really describe her/him at all, and all the reader really has to go on are the things s/he says to and about the girl. While I can see how this might work, I still think that you could use a little more info on who this character is: where they're coming from, what they do, for a couple of examples. This may help the reader connect more easily.

An even smaller thing: was the ending intended to be ambiguous? Again, this might be me, but I got the impression that, in cutting the canvas and thereby severing part of her open soul from the whole, she also cut off one of her fingers, the tools of her trade. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy.

Anyway, this was a great little story, and really needs very little work done. Keep writing, and great job!

~Reddy

Thanks for reading and reviewing my work! :)

Yeah, I have a personal issue with characters...I never like naming them...When I was younger I never even gave titles to my poetry (Weird, I know). But I should have developed them more...I'll try my best to flesh out my characters more in the future.

Yeah, I intended to make the ending ambiguous! When I wrote the first draft, I actually described a severed finger...but then I thought that that was too melodramatic...so I toned down the ending...so basically you can think what you like about the ending...the symbolic meaning was more important for me...

Thanks again! :)

RedBird says...

???

RedBird says...

I posted a review, but it came as a comment, so I tried to delete it and it didn't work, so I just deleted the text. Hence...this.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:50 am
EnigmaticSpirit wrote a review...

EnigmaticSpirit here to review your story again!

I'll start off by saying that you've yet again left me feeling amazed and breath taken, and, that I loved your story! It was beautifully written along with fantastic imagery that is created by all these vivid little descriptions. These are the elements that bring your story to life and what made me feel as though I was there watching the two characters throughout the entire story. It was also a very interesting read and I was enraptured by the plot of the story. I had to keep reading until the end!

The only improvement to your story that I can suggest is characterisation. I would've loved to have learned more about the two characters: what they are like, what personalities they have etc, etc. Especially the protagonist. Nevertheless, I still found it easy to connect with the protagonist and to see through their eyes. Please do not take this into account as you are the author of this piece, not me!

Overall, I think that this is a magnificent read with fantastic imagery and a fascinating plot. I absolutely loved it and I believe that you are extremely gifted with the art of words. If you're going to be posting another piece, I cannot wait to read it! :)

Happy Writing! :D

Thank you so much for the wonderful review (again) :) :)
I'm so happy that you liked my story :)
I'll try my best to describe the characters more...a major problem I face while writing is that I have to write it all in one sitting! If I take a break I just can't continue...
So, I'll try to work on that...and I'll try my best to improve :)
Thanks again :)

If you are tired remember it's a sign that you haven't expired
— fatherfig