Are we ever free from anything?

by helovedme13

........................................

Hi! Sorry this has taken me so long to get to, but here I am now :)

1.

You’re riding on endless trails and endless fields. Seeing nothing but the turning, twisting, and winding of the dirt path through the evergreen forest ahead of you.
Oh second person, excellent! That's not something you see every day, I'm looking forward to this. However, you need to make the transition between these two sentences more smooth. There are two ways you could do this, either by linking them with a comma, or by rephrasing the beginning of that second sentence.

I would suggest something like: '...trails and endless fields. You see nothing but the turning...' which would flow much better. The repetition of you're/ you would also help to further engage the reader.

2. Normally I'd say don't change perspective, but you make the change so smoothly that I actually enjoyed it. Very nicely done!

3. The flash-back was dull to be honest with you. It was over dramatic, the dialogue could have been better and it was sloppy. The typos also tell me you didn't spend long on editing this. Don't throw away a good beginning like that. Instead, take some time to read this through and to think about what you're writing. It might be more interesting to make the flash back a series of disconnected memories. Keep this in the present tense and then have her thinking some of the lines of dialogue and show her getting angrier and revving the bike more the more she thinks about it. We don't want the full story, just a glimpse of it because that way you'll build intrigue and actually make us want to know what happened. It's better to not tell us and for us to want to know, than to tell us and make us feel we'd have rather not known.

4. I like the flashback with the family better. That one feels much more smooth and I'm interested in it because you're introducing a new element to the plot: the baby. The other two aren't interesting enough for me. They don't feel dynamic or important enough. I can see why you have them now and I like the idea of integrating the brief flash-backs and the present. But you need to work on the first two.

5. Be careful about repeating an uncommon phrase too many times. You've said drunken stupor at least twice now, maybe even three times and it's too much. It's an awkward phrase already so to have it in even once is enough. Instead, describe him being drunk. Describe his bleary eyes, the smell of alcohol on his breath or congealing in his beard. Describe him stumbling or walking into objects.

6. Careful with the cop - it's not realistic for them to say drunk driving accident. They would more likely say a car accident because they don't reveal those kinds of details right away and they have more tact than that.

I really like the themes you're working with here and I actually found the ending unexpected. I thought this was going in an entirely different direction so great work there! You need to take more care on your dialogue and with some of the sections in general - there's a huge difference between that really strong opening and that first flash-back. But if you put as much time into ironing out the weaker sections as you have the strongest, I think you'll have a powerful story.

Good luck!

Heather xx

KoraHarper wrote a review...

How’s it going Helovedme?

Guess what… ilovedyou, too.

As your first short story, this is really good. I assume you were writing before this, because you've done really well here. I got a feel for all of the senses, which is something that is commonly overlooked in writing. I feel like your narration is strong. I find it the best part about the story. There was a recurring theme throughout, which was cool. I also liked Emily's self-conflict at the very end, showing that her life goes beyond just this story. I thought mostly the characters were solid.

As far as dialogue goes, it is okay, but seemed a bit rushed in parts. You could break up some of the sentences to add more feelings, thoughts, and actions to the characters – and like ArcticMonkey said, it could be more natural and realistic.

I don’t have any other points to touch on that the previous poster hasn't already. I have a feeling you will only continue to improve from here. I’ll be keeping an eye out for more of your writing. Awesome job, and keep it up!

Kora

ArcticMonkey wrote a review...

Hi helovedme13! Firstly, welcome to YWS!

Anyways, onto the review. Nitpicks in the spoiler, my comments are in bold:

You’re riding on endless trails and endless fields. Seeing nothing but the turning, twisting, and winding of the trails Repeat of word ‘trail, try and use something else through the evergreen forest ahead of you. Mentally feeling nothing but relaxed, because the more speed you pick up, the more and more of your problems you are dropping on the beaten path behind you. There is dripping sweat on your face from the hot July sun, no need for comma here as the same sun that is drying the bits of mud that have splashed on your perfect face, legs, and arms. As the sound of your engine is hinting to switch to third gear, the vibration of the three-wheeler starts in your hands, gripped onto the handle bars with white knuckles, and moves throughout your entire body. The mixed smells of sweet newly bloomed flowers and the gasoline you are using for your enjoyment, no need for comma here fills your nose. The only thing that insures you that you’re still connected to the ground, no need for comma here is the gentle, faint, whipping of the tall green blades of grass against your legs. It’s As if you can taste the freedom on your lips and feel it on your sun kissed skin.
Except it’s not your sun kissed skin, its mine. Three-wheeling is my way of expressing freedom- because every second I’m riding faster, I can let go of more and more things.
In first gear, the wind is blowing against me hardly enough to even begin to move my long dark hair, before its (no need for apostrophe) strong enough to make my eyes water, before I’m actually having fun. This is when I let go of all the little things, the stupid comments, the dirty looks, and all that jazz.
“Emily, why can’t you be just like everyone else? Follow the crowd, don’t stand up for people, especially if no one likes them,” Katie said to me in a whisper. This dialogue doesn’t seem very natural to me, maybe you could change it just so it doesn’t follow this whole cliché idea of the ‘popular’ kids being so mean and stuff.
“Because,” I explained “I can stand up for them, even if I am one of the popular people around here. Just because other people don’t follow your guy’s stereotypes or status quo, doesn’t mean that they should be put down for being themselves. Jesus Christ, all of you girls need to grow up!”
She knew I didn’t like her and that I never planned on doing so. After she looked me up and down a few times, she rolled her eyes, spun on her heels, and she walked away so fast, with such anger, that her face was beginning to turn a bright red. This sentence has way too many commas, try breaking it down into two sentences or adding connectives.
So,[b]no need for comma here
I guess because I’m pretty and popular, no need for comma here I’m supposed to be heartless and stuck up.
Picking up more speed, let go of the gas; shift down, left, then back on the gas. Second gear, where I can catch air on the little bumps, go through deep dark brown mud puddles without getting stuck, and where the wind is blowing strong enough against my face that it can blow back my messy hair and show my whole perfect complexion. I really like the metaphor here!
“Emily, are you really going to wear that? Think about what everyone else will think,” Rosie tried to explain.
All I ever think of when she does this is that she could get anyone to do anything she wanted, simply by using her pretty blue eyes, and perfect little smile to manipulate people, and that pissed me off. See, everyone thinks that cause she’s so beautiful, everything she says is right. Shes supposed to be my friend, but all she cares about is what other people will see her as along with whoever she is.
“Why would I care what they have to say or think?”
“Duh, that’s all you have in 10th grade, reputation.”
“Yes, because ‘ya know, I don’t have more important things to deal with right now than what all these stuck up people have to say,” I told her sarcastically, “Just leave me alone, sometimes I can’t stand how you people act!”
School time, “I’ll wear the exact outfit she told me not too, just to prove I can be myself,” I thought aloud. I don’t understand why she won’t even talk to me, or even sit in the same table as me! God! Stupid insecure people these days!
Don’t get me wrong, I love my friends to death. But it’s like, let go of expectations from others, be your own person. Please yourself before you try and please other people. They all eat their own words when they tell each-other to be leaders, not followers. This is too informal for a story, I’ll say more about this later on in the review
There goes the whining of my engine, telling me I’m going too fast for second gear. Moving up to third, let go of the gas, shift down, slide over, hit the gas. Going so fast that the whipping wind is making my eyes water, as I’m sliding side to side to ensure that I make the turns of the steep trail without tipping. Sometimes at this point I like to stand tall feeling untouchable to my next problem. Again really good metaphor
“Why is it that you can’t do anything beneficial for this family, Emily?! You are one of the few kids in this town lucky to have parents still together, with a halfway decent marriage, and you act like it’s such a bur-,” my mom realized how my dad worded that and cut him off. I get confused at who is talking here, I know it’s the mum but the whole scene seems to change so maybe you could introduce this new setting slightly better
“Halfway decent? what the hell is that supposed to mean? You aren’t happy either? You act like its just as big of a “burden” on you as it is on Em-.” Here goes the fighting my mom and dad, they can never let each-other finish a sentence, it’s almost like they would be too intimidated if they let each other get that far.
“This is what I mean me and your mother wouldn’t ever fight like this if you appreciated what you had once in awhile.”
I know the only reason he blames me is because he refuses to admit to doing anything wrong. So, I calmly walked away, running my fingers down our freshly painted burgundy walls, wondering why kids have to be more mature than their parents sometimes? It’s not fair.
Sorry, I can’t be perfect. No one can be
I usually never make it into fourth gear, but today I have something big I really need to let go of. So, I let go of the gas, shift down, over, down, then back on the gas again. This time going and maintaining full speed. The wind roaring in my face just like his voice the night of our big fight. I can still sometimes smell the liquor on his breath from his drunken stupor. For some reason I can’t get him out of my head. Probably because he was the first I truly cared about. He cared about me, I know it. He just didn’t show it too well.
Sean knows all he has to do is flip his skater hair, flash me a smile with his perfect teeth, and make me look into his eyes that were greener than the forest I rode in, to make me be okay with him drinking, and be okay with the fact he was late for our dates. Again, instead of having lots of commas, this sentence could be broken down into more sentences or use connectives to join bits together Thats exactly what he thinks he’s going to do tonight, but I won’t let him,” I thought to myself, right as his car had pulled up. He hopped out,
“Ready for our date? You look beautiful,” He said with his words slurred, not able to stand straight.
“You think I’m going anywhere with you acting like this? If you do, then think again. Because I’m not putting up with this.” I said as I tossed him a bottle of Whiskey.
“What’s this for?” He asked stupidly.
“This is your going away present, you’re leaving me for good. I don’t want to be with you anymore.” Without a word he got in his car and drove away. Wait isn’t he gonna beg for her or something? I understand he’s drunk, but still…
I texted him saying I loved him, and i was sorry.
“I was just frustrated,” I pleaded on his answering machine.
It was too late for apologies. I knew this as I saw officer Johnson strolling up my front walk, In his navy blue uniform. Except this time, there was no flash of a badge, no click click click of the cuffs, only an officer knocking on my door lightly shaking like an addict going through withdrawals. I answered the door and immediately after he had said,
“I’m so sorry Emily,”
As he removed his hat and lowered it by his chest. I broke out into tears and fell into his arms, as he awkwardly hugged me not knowing how to react.
“Sean was in a drunk-driving accident, and had passed away,” that’[/b[]s all I could stand to hear. I pushed him aside and ran for my car. As he followed me, I drove off to the scene of the accident. When I got there they were carrying him out of the scene in a body bag. As I was standing behind that yellow caution tape, seeing all the flashing lights, listening to all the sirens, I knew this was [b]my entire fault. I couldn’t get the pictures out of my head with his blue mustang and a strangers car all tangled up like a ball of metal. Those pictures will forever be there, along with the smell of the Whiskey on his breath, along with ringing of the sirens all that night. I will never forget his perfect face or his soothing voice. The one thing I will always be sure to remember,no need for comma here is the voice mail he had left me seconds before his accident.
“I’m sorry, I know I have a problem, and I’m sorry I put you through this, so I thought I would talk to you about giving me another chance if I stay sob-.” That was all he said before the screeching of the tires and his screaming began. Then all was silent, end of message.
Even though I have found a way to be free from everything going on, I don’t think I will ever be free of the thought that I contributed to his death. I helped in the taking of a life of a person only a year older than me. Knowing in a few years I’ll be graduating is great, knowing I took that from someone, ruins it. Knowing he would have had everything ahead of him, if i wouldn’t have told him to leave. How do I go on in life? Knowing I took someone elses.

Okay, so starting with your characters. Obviously by the end of this story you want the readers to feel empathy for your MC, Emily, however I don't think there was enough back story earlier on in the story for us to feel this. What was her relationship with Sean like? Were there lots of ups and downs? Did they fight a lot or was it all hunky dory? Secondly the MC's friend is slightly stereo-typical as one of those girls who is just all about her reputation and nothing else. In all honesty, those people aren't really like that, or they have more to them. And yeah, I think you need to add more to Emily's character to make her more relatable to the readers.

I mentioned briefly in the nitpicks that some of your dialogue didn't seem very natural. Especially when Emily is talking to her parents. I found that to make dialogue more natural, just pay closer attention to how people talk in real life because that is your best source of 'realistic' characters. I know that it's hard and you want to fit certain things into your story, but just make it slightly more authentic and it will be great :)

What I particularly liked about your story was the metaphor used with the gears and switching from different gears. I thought it was a really clever metaphor and it represented your story really well. however, I think you could've added more to the setting, for example what was school like? What was home like?

Finally, I've found that your tenses messed up at times. It's not really a major issue, I'd say just read over it and polish it up so that all the tenses are the same and correct.

I hope this review helped, please PM me with any questions or if you'd like another revewi.

Keep Writing!
-Arc

helovedme13 says...

I made a few changes to it because I agreed with almost all you said, let me know if this sounds any better when you get a chance please(:

No matter what happens I'll always know there's a quote of mine in the YWS quote generator.
— looseleaf