HELP

by Nour

It has been days since I last wrote a paragraph! Actually I don't have a specific subject to write about, I am writing only for improving my writing skills and also for testing my voculabery. I am not going to use Google translator or any other dictionary, I will try to use only the words I know as I won't be allowed to use any dictionary in an English test! Anyway I used to be a really good student in my English class, actually I was the best on of them all. After graduating I realized I am not that good as I've talked to people who are fluent in English , that made me lose my confidence in my English skills, and drived me to do really crazy things!I used too googlr whatever I write before posting it on Twitter or Facebook, crazy right ?! -.-

I believe that I have a really good accent I speak like a fluent speaker, but still don't have the confident to talk fluently with a fluent person, but that won't stop me for working as a telesales agent in an international company, I think that will help alot, talking to native English speakers will be really good, I believe I will face too many problems in forming sentences I wanna say but no one starts from 100% right ?! Each one of us starts from zero.

Feel free to correct my mistakes :D

KelliLocks says...

It might be a good idea (if you like novel writing, if you don't there is no reason to read on) but try Camp NaNoWriMo. The base is in one month you write 50,000 words. If you are interested I advise you check out the website and do some additional research but it will surely help with your English. The link is campnanowrimo.org

Tenyo wrote a review...

Heey Nour!

If you want to improve your english then you're on the right track finding your way to yws. I learn more of other languages from translating poetry and reading literature than I do from studying word lists, because it's more fun, gives you a better sense of context, and will improve your confidence as you get used to it.

This as a start is really good. I'd expect this level of English from a highschool student aged 15-18, so for someone speaking it as a second language I think you're doing great!

Now, for the little stuff.

*I do it to improve my writing skills.
Usually we only use for if the next word is a thing. You might write for class, or for improvement, but you would write to improve your writing skills.

Vocabulery should be vocabulary. Best on of should be best one of. Drived should be drove- it's one of those exceptions that the English are so fond of.

If you want to boost your confidence just take a look in the Literary Forum and see what other people are struggling with. Or check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=97298.

I hope this helps. Study hard and keep up the good work.

KelliLocks says...

Tenyo, you have a great point, I'm learning Spanish and it is hard to get connected to the language by just studying the words. If you study in context then the language becomes realer then school work. I love that tip so much!

Nour says...

Tenyo, thank you buddy but do you think it's possible to make it and be a fluent English speaker in a month or something ?! I am doing nothing these days but reading English articles and writing beside my Engineering which is in English too !

Nour says...

Engineering studies*

Tenyo says...

The problem with learning quickly is that you'll forget it quickly. Fast growing flowers have shallow roots, you know?

Nour says...

Yeah, so what's the perfect time should it take for me to accomplish the mission ?

KelliLocks says...

I know I am learning Spanish in school, but all the courses (which you should be able to speak fluently by the end) take five years. Obviously I'm not learning over summer but understand that mastering English will take a LONG time. But you are on the right track by reading and writing everyday

Nour says...

Aha, good luck with you Spanish :))

Nour says...

Okay I will post a daily note in here, I hope if that can help as I really need to be a native speaker in a month or something, anyway thank you :))

KelliLocks wrote a review...

It sounds like you already are a fairly good English speaker. Main thing is to keep practicing, that's the key to everything. Talk to lots of people and write stories or whatever comes to mind. I promise if you practice then it will become clearer as you work! Good luck!!! Hope I could help...

If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray, remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind