Strawberry Hearts -5-

by runandhide

Evelyn,

On Monday, it will be three years since we stopped being friends. Three years will have come and gone without us saying as much as a word to each other. A part of me wishes that I didn't care so much, that I didn't miss you, but the truth is, I think the part of me that cared about you, will always care, because its the same part of me that misses you, and I keep telling myself that its okay that we're not friends anymore, because I've met and made friends with so many amazing people in the past few years; but deep down, it not okay. You were one of the first friends I ever made, Evie, and the knowledge of how easily our friendship demised is something I don't think I'll ever get over.

We didn't fall out. We didn't drift apart. One day we just stopped being friends. Just like that.

So you can imagine my surprise, when today, I walked into the cafe and found you there. I guess it never occurred to me that once upon a time it was your favourite cafe too. To be honest I didn't even notice you at first; I was too preoccupied with getting in out of the rain and talking to Fraya, the pink haired barista who has known us since we were nine years old. To be honest, when I got to our seat, for a second I thought I was seeing things. I mean, it wasn't you I thought I could see, it was a younger you, you on the day we first discovered the place that would soon become our own personal haven, hidden away from all the drama that somehow surrounded us back then.

It took me a good five minutes after I'd sat down before I realised that you were really sitting there, and a good ten to realise you were talking. You weren't talking to me, but at me, rambling nervously like you always used to. You were talking about having gotten lost, like we had done that day, before you realised that you knew where you were all too well, and that you'd hoped I'd be here.

"I haven't seen you in ages"

Three years ago, a few words would have solved everything. Somehow three years later, a few words just aren't enough. Its only been three years, yet already its to little to late. I mean, just because I say that I miss you, doesn't mean that I want you back in my life. It means that I miss having someone I was that close too. Someone who knew me almost inside out. Someone who always knew exactly what I was trying to say.

Do you remember when we were little, how everyone used to say that we would find ourselves someday? I did. I found myself alone. When I really needed you, you weren't there. Even if we did have that conversation, it wouldn't change anything. Not now. After everything that has happened these last few years, I'll never trust you again. I wish I could, but you've changed so much, that I don't even know who you are any more. I don't miss you. I miss the girl who was my best friend. The girl who would do just about anything for the people she cared about. The girl who didn't care about stupid boys, and how she looked and what people thought. Its like that song. That song by Goyte. Now you're just somebody that I used to know.

Except, now you're just somebody that I no longer wish to know.

Love

Ida

EmeraldEyes wrote a review...

Hi!

So the title of this piece caught my eye.
Then when I started reading I realised that the tone of this work was actually really bitter. :/
It was written very honestly, so you could understand and empathise with the way the narrator was feeling.
The honest way in which it was written made me think that the narrator was actually you and you've based all this on your own experience and it comes across really clearly.
This was my favourite part:

It took me a good five minutes after I'd sat down before I realised that you were really sitting there, and a good ten to realise you were talking.

I like the way in which you write with feeling. the language isn't necessarily all that flouncy, but in this case, I don't think it needs to be it works perfectly well with you just talking about the way the narrator is feeling - because it's relatable enough for the reader.

Well done.

~EE

runandhide says...

Aw thank you! It's sort of based on past experiences, so maybe that came through more clearly than I meant haha XD

rainbowcabbit wrote a review...

Woah, okay, this is quite deep. If only we could all write so deep. So anyway let's get this party started! So obviously, I haven't read the previous chapters, but I think I might. From what I've seen here, you have a nice theme going on. I congratulate you for being one of the very few people who could write something about mere typical life friendship and sparking my interest (I write fantasy). For the most part, your grammar was pretty okay and I only found these few mistakes.

"...it not okay."

The "it" should be "it's", or you could just put an "is" after "it".

"...yet already its to little to late."

First of all, "its" should be "it's." Just remember, use "its" if you are describing what an it owns, like "its toys," and "it's" if you are using a contraction for "it is." I don't mean to nag here but I constantly make the same types of mistakes. You probably already know this though and really all it would take is to revise a bit. Also, the "to"s should both be "too."

Overall, I just love this piece, and I hope you keep up the good work! :)

runandhide says...

Aw :') thank you so much! I'm really glad you liked it! Thanks for pointing my wee mistakes out too! I'm terrible for not noticing xD

I make so many tiny mistakes <XD I don't know why I keep telling others to fix theirs.

Have a biscuit, Potter.
— Professor McGonagall