z

Young Writers Society


12+

eulogy

by catherinem527


eulogy

She stole her brother’s Elites and wore them with her worn out running sneakers. A Timex watch curled around her thick wrist, splattered with white paint. Her shirt had “Not a Hipster” scrawled across the chest, and I could tell she wasn’t, because I could see the Hollister eagle on her shorts. She told me she doesn’t shop from Hollister, she buys her clothes from the thrift store no one goes to downtown. She told me that’s what makes her a hipster. She said hipsters never say they’re hipsters. Then I asked why she was wearing Elites. She didn’t respond.

For my birthday, she got me a pore reducing foundation from Clinique. I stared at her, and she told me she’d give me a makeover. I told her I liked the way I was. She shrugged and popped open the cap.

I told her I wanted a coffee from Starbucks and she just walked away. What’s your problem? I asked. She just held up her hand and called over a cab. She left me standing on Sixth Avenue alone. Then it started to rain.

She had her first cigarette when she was sixteen. She told me it tasted good, and when I started coughing she laughed, and stepped on the cigarette with her Converse, the same converse she ran around in the mud in to make them look “ghetto”. I told her I’d never have another cigarette in my life. She handed me another one. I let her light it for me.

I pulled out my phone to get a picture of us in front of the Toys R Us, and you ran away from me. You better not post that, she said, anywhere. I mean anywhere. I looked over at her, and she was dead serious. But you’re so pretty, I said. She just laughed. I’m pretty, she said, like a cow is pretty. Plus, she continued, don’t conform by putting that on social media. She pulled out her phone. It was a flip phone from like 2005, the same one she got when she started middle school. I don’t need, she said, an Instagram to be cool. She waved her phone around in the air and walked away. I waited a minute, then jogged after her.

I put on music in my room, and she started banging on the wall. I can hear your shit again, she yelled. Fuck off, I yelled back. She put on Nirvana and started playing it even louder. Someone from upstairs started jumping up and down, and she turned the music off. I put headphones on.

When I laughed, she would stick her finger in my mouth so I’d start choking. What the hell? I’d laugh. She’d shrug.

I bought my first push up bra in the eighth grade, and when we changed for gym, she started poking under my boobs at my bra, and yelled falsies, falsies! I crossed my arms over my chest, and she asked, What are you, a thirty two A? I blushed, and didn’t respond. She already had the body of a woman, but she chose to hide it under parachute pants and sports bras.

When she got a boyfriend, she kissed him right in front of me. She left her dark lipstick on the side of his mouth. I gagged, and she slapped me across the face. I shrugged. He dumped her a week after. She plotted to kill him for a while, and then she just cried all the time. All I could do was give her my shoulder.

For junior prom, she wore a dress shirt and jeans. First off, it was June, so no one was wearing jeans anyway, but she wore jeans to prom. She didn’t even have a date, she just stood by the punch bowl all night and told every bitch she hated how fat she looked in her dress. For senior prom, she wore a floor length ball gown, and left her hair curly and let it fall down her shoulders. She only did that to make the boys realize what they looked past all along.

In the third grade, she told me my mole was ugly. I told her my mom said it was a beauty mark. She told me I should remove it, because that’s what her aunt did. I told her I liked my mole. She pulled up her shirt all the way up to her chin and pointed at a mole right below her chest. I like mine too, she said.

When we were in the seventh grade, she told me my brother was hot. I almost threw up, and she just giggled, as I gagged and rolled off her bed. There was a knock at the door, and it was my brother to pick me up. She unbuttoned her flannel shirt all the way down to her bra, so all of her cleavage was hanging out. You’re disgusting, I said, and I grabbed my backpack. She wiggled her fingers at my brother, and all he did was sigh, and he took my hand and pulled me into our apartment right next door.

In our freshman year, we promised we’d be best friends forever. She said she could make me into a more interesting person. I told her maybe I’d slap some sense into her. She wrapped her arm around me, and I wrapped my arm around her. We didn’t have a secret handshake or anything, we didn’t need it. We were too close for a secret handshake or secret language. I told her I’d name my daughter after her. She told me she wouldn’t name her daughter after me. I shrugged. At least we’ll still be friends, I said. Hipsters don’t have friends, she said, but then again, I’m not a hipster.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:37 pm
View Likes
Aley wrote a review...



Hey!

Welcome to YWS.

This is a hard thing to review because, well, the title is Eulogy, and the message is about this friend of the speaker. To me, a eulogy is about a dead person, so that adds another layer of flavor to this poem that I don't think you'd be able to get without the title, making the title very important. What I do have to say is that it's a bit long for my tastes even though I like it, and I think it is a good example of poetry that's not in lines.

So here are some of the more intimate critiques I have on this poem. The point of sharing these things is to give you my opinion and the way I feel the poem would be better. It's your poem, so you can chose whether you do these things or not, but here's some of the things I'd change as the reader.

The first one is a bit of a tense error, that might not actually be a tense error because you don't use quotation marks when these people are speaking.

I pulled out my phone to get a picture of us in front of the Toys R Us, and you ran away from me.


This is the first time "you" appears in this story, and it's in a way that where "she" would have been used in any other stanza/paragraph. I counted this as a transition error on your part instead of a stylistic choice because it is the first and only time "you" is used instead of "she" in this manner. This manner is that it's not being said to the female friend, it is just being said as the narrator talking to the audience, which is not the girl for most of the poem. The narrator is actually talking to a third party of some sort, thus having she and I instead of you and I.

About the quotation marks, actually. I would suggest putting them in and seeing if it reads clearer, or if it reads just about the same. Right now it's not always clear what is going to be dialogue and what is going to be just remembering something she said. I think, in part, this is because you don't really want it clear, but I would urge for clarity because the farther we go into this eulogy, the more in-tune with the speaker we get, and the more we start going into their memories. To me, using quotations would indicate more of that shift.

One of my other problems with this poem is that you don't keep things in chronological order. For instance, she was going to senior prom, then third grade. It seems like third grade should be up with third grade stuff, and senior prom should be down with senior prom stuff. The other option, is to cut things out. Right now there seems to be too much jumping back and forth between point A and point 12. For instance, we have third grade in the eleventh stanza, and the thing which sort of matches up with it, which is the pore cream, is the second stanza. There's a strong connection between these two stanzas, but it isn't being utilized because the mole story is stuck between throwing up and showing off instead of connecting the two.

So you have a few ways you could reorganize it. First, you could clump together points, like this is the point that she's kind of an abusive friend [leaving the speaker in the rain, making the speaker gag, [the mole story, the story about the beauty cream]], this is the point that she's not willing to be seen as someone who cares about how she looks, even though she does [listing what she wears, the converse, prom], and then you could fill in between these sections with transitions which would/could be whatever was leftover.

I think if you did this, you'd have more of a connection between the stanzas, which right now for me is lacking. Each stanza is like it's own little world, and if we're going to make a poem out of it, we have to make an interplanetary travel system. Right now, that's not really in existence aside from a loose idea that only pops up once in a while [she's not a hipster/yes she is]. You could also do this with better transitions leading in and out of each stanza sort of to aim us in the right direction for the next one. You have this wonderful connection between the first and fourth stanza, which sort of buckets the other two, and I think if you want to edit this or make it more concise, you'd have to work on making more of your stanzas like that in order for there to be this pattern of 1 -> 4, 2 -> 5, 3 -> 6... so that we get used to this every fourth stanza has a reconnecting point and it can carry on. Either that, or you reorganize things.

Of course, you have other options too, but the thing I'm seeing is a disconnectedness between the stories because of a jump in time, or place, or subject/theme of the story.

-Aley




User avatar
863 Reviews


Points: 29221
Reviews: 863

Donate
Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:33 pm
Morrigan wrote a review...



Hello, catherine! Welcome to YWS!

First of all, I really enjoyed reading this. It has a nice feel to it, and you stick to the truth in the characters in the piece.

I noticed in your description that you had a hard time placing this piece. I agree that it is a little more poetic than a short story. I might call it a lyric essay, but more people are going to recognize the term "prose poetry."

If you call it a lyric essay, I suppose that the language would only need a little tweaking for it to really comfortably fit in that genre. However, if you're aiming for prose poetry, it might need a little surgery.

When aiming for prose poetry, it's a good idea to forget about grammar a little more. Your grammar is very good, but in prose poetry, it generally doesn't matter as much. Stylistic fragments go far in a piece like this. Not to suggest you forget about grammar completely, though. Just make it a little freer. If you're feeling it. I kind of like the clipped cadences of this piece (basically, I go back and forth on it, but just make your best judgement).

Try using more of the senses. You describe a lot by sight, which is indeed a human's primary sense, but I want to be enchanted by these characters. What kind of cigarettes did they smoke? How did they smell? I find that certain cigarettes have different scents to me; Camels are dark and cloying, Marlboro Reds have a tinge of sunflower seed to them. Did they smoke cloves? Because those are delicious. Also, when the other character poked at her bra, what did it feel like? Whenever I wear a push up, it always feels strangely ticklish and distant at the same time.

I think you should make this a little more linear. I like the placement of the last stanza, how it brings the piece full circle, but you could fudge the timeline a little bit. Maybe after junior year? That's the latest time in the piece that I'm seeing (unless I'm missing something).

Some of your phrasing is a little awkward.

She wrapped her arm around me, and I wrapped my arm around her
For example, the above sentence could be more concisely conveyed by saying "we wrapped our arms around each other."

I gagged, and she slapped me across the face.
I feel like you should have two different sentences here (I gagged. She slapped me across the face.). Also, I want to feel that slap connect. Use a bit more vivid imagery here.

With the two things I mentioned above, go through your whole piece to find all the little redundancies I didn't mention, and the places where you could expand your imagery.

Altogether, this is really quite good. I hope that you find this review useful! Happy poeting!






Thank you SO much!!! I really appreciate your super long comment, it realy means a lot, considering what i usually get is "oh thats really good." I agree with what your sayng and i know, weird genre right :) ? I just was kinda writing down like that perfect dysfunctional friendship and thats what kind of just came out, so thank you for being so understanding with that, that it's rough. I seriously can't thank you enough!!




"Come quickly, I am drinking the stars!"
— Dom Pérignon