it's a dangerous place, love

by Dreamwalker

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for mature content.

i.

you’ve always liked the road a little bit more than the cedar span of cold dock, close to the edge but far enough that the current couldn’t pull you through the cracks. not here oppressed in stagnate rot and fish guts and steel canoes that feel like brands of hot sun searing through layers of skin.

you can’t breathe here. can’t sink deep enough in the black murky depths of a desperate body, swaying and groaning against the rocky prison of its own design. you’re not made for affection, and the water wants to touch you where it counts.

ii.

you’ve always liked the road a little bit more than the forest floor, consumed and consuming, telling you to step far enough or farther. but farther is thicker, denser, stronger. the trees are friends that won’t slip you a pill when you’re not looking but will scrape your cheeks all the same. and you’re here among the sodden leaves and broken branches because all the good things in life aren’t meant to last.

it doesn’t feel like flight. it feels like going home.

iii.

you’ve always liked the road for its temperament, like a leather clad boy who wants to get you naked in the back of his car, and you’re happy to do it cause he’s the only one whose never lied about what he wants. it’s the road that curves and connects and flows on through like the breath you inhale, exhaling after the first thrust.

the road asks for nothing more than truth, and you want truth more than you want love. you want street signs telling you how far you’ve gone, a road map telling you how far you still have left to go. you could never sink deep enough, but here you could pretend that sinking is what you want.

and no one can stop you. not when you're miles away from the surface. 

Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:16 pm
Aley wrote a review...

Hello Dreamwalker!

Aley here.

I actually like how you have the poem broken up into more stanzas than lines. I think it lends well to the more stream-of-consciousness flow of the poem rather than breaking it up in lines that might hide some of the connections and disrupt some of the flow.

Overall in the actual piece I didn't see much wrong. I don't like the confusion between "You've always liked the road a little bit more than..." because you go on to talk about how the person isn't on the road, they're in the water, or the forest. If they liked the road a little bit more, than shouldn't they stay on the road? This is sort of a conundrum to me, but I can see how it works. I would suggest editing it to consolidate words, for instance "a little bit more than" can just be "slightly more than" or "more than" and you cut out several words in each section.

You also have tried to do that whole, this and that thing where you use the same exact words to describe two different things. "Consumed and consuming," and "far enough or farther" are hard to judge. In a way the first one works. You've already been consumed by the forest, and it's still consuming you. That's possible. The second one is a little more confusing. Saying that you've gone far enough means that you can reached the end. You have somewhere that is an end, and you can reach it quickly, the problem is that it's also telling you to go farther. This contradicts "far enough" so it would be best to reword "far enough." You could also remove it.

"telling you to step farther, but farther is thicker, denser, stronger."
Note that I also changed a punctuation mark. The reason for that is because "but" starting a sentence needs to have a second part, "But the wind was howling, I could hear the chants of people in it." this is because the second part of that sentence actually can go first. "I could hear the chants of people in it, but the wind was howling." This sort of flip flop is acceptable in English. Just leaving a hanging "but" or hanging conjunction means that you've segmented off something to a fragment.

The description in segment one isn't really that clear. I'll do this in segments. The segments will be on the dock, over the dock, and in the water.

Basically on the dock we have a couple things that are bothering me. First, docks don't usually have water close enough to suck you in. They're made to keep you out and tie off boats, most of the time, so they don't really stay shallow. When the lake is overflowing, sure, they sometimes get a bit wet and the water gets close, but it's not really a time you'd want to get in the lake, so you wouldn't be out on the dock.

The other thing that bothers me about on the dock is "the current couldn't pull you through the cracks." the reason this bothers me is because what it suggests is that somewhere else, cracks are thick enough to do that. Honestly, it's a strange way to say it, and while this is poetry, it's a little confusing to put the two in the same sentence with the negative like that. I'd rather see what you could find that would make it a "could" or "wanted to" rather than "couldn't."

As the second part, sort of between on the dock and in the water, I really like what you did with the description. It's accurate. That's about right for any dock although stagnate rot is a little less specific than I'd expect you to be with fish guts and steel canoes, which don't smell by the way, not in my experience, not while on a dock. The problem I have is the transition because I don't understand how you can't breathe after talking about layers of skin and sun and stuff.

So transitions between the two parts is a little awkward, because sinking indicates that you're in the water, that you have somewhere you can sink to, like the bottom, but we never got off the dock. Still, we're in the "black murky depths" and while you try to add "of a desperate body" I think honestly it would be better just to leave it as we're in the water. We're in the black murky depths, among the seaweed suddenly. It's a nice image, sinking into the water, and the water trying to escape the edges of it's confines, but we need some transition because you weren't letting the water touch you in the first part, and now it's over our heads.

You stay in a negative tone through most of this. "Can't" "not" "won't" "never" "nothing" "No one" these words all indicate a negative light that you're putting on the whole situation. I'm not sure if it was intentional or just how you tend to converse, but it is something interesting to look at. A good challenge might be to try to change everything from a negative to a positive, and I don't mean make the poem happy, just, say something it does instead of doesn't do. "far enough away that the current trying to reach you fell short." or "Here oppressed in stagnate rot and fish guts and steel canoes that felt like brands of hot sun searing through layers of skin, you were unreachable."

But let's move on to the second section. There is another case here of the negative making things confusing. "the trees are friends that won't slip you a pill..." This is confusing because it means that you do have a friend that would slip you a pill, but we don't know who that is. You don't mention pills anywhere else so it's sort of like dropping history that we have no other reference for. I'd suggest maybe changing the line, or adding more to it so that we know that this is how we got from the lake to the forest.

I don't really like how little this section is compared to the others. You talk about it very briefly, and summarize it up in "but farther is thicker, denser, stronger" instead of showing us. I don't really see the how this is love.

I'd like you to expand on how it feels like going home.

In the third section, I think you've done things pretty well. Mostly I'd suggest editing out what you can. Slim it down so that you're not repeating yourself. Also this whole truth idea is sort of overrated. If all he wants is what he gets, then I don't see why he cares for getting anything more from her.

I really like how you ended this.

SO IN SUMMARY I'm going to suggest that you work on beefing out the second section a bit more, and changing things from negatives to positives just to get some variety in this. Instead of saying what it can't do, say what it's trying to do, and failing at, or what it can only try to do. Hopefully this will make the poem a bit less confusing about allusions to histories we don't know.

-Aley

Dreamwalker says...

I should probably start with a quick thank you for the awesome review. Really good info here and I thank you for the honesty especially seeing as it is quite a big mashup of different concepts sort of floating into one specific clause which would be love verses truth so getting to that particular clause through the minefield I've sort of created with this one is certainly difficult. Under no ones folly but my own, of course.

Just to address a couple quick comments, the concept was not what the narrator is doing but what the narrator deems fulfilling. For instance, the last stanza out of the three depicts the honesty of the narrators situation. The fact that it's not good and its not bad but that it's the narrators choice which is, above all, the most important thing. That the narrator knows what they are giving up if they chose to let things be, or to actively go in search of.

The concept was underlying the ideology of vacationing as a metaphor for finding oneself. That the narrator enjoyed the car ride and the road more than staying stagnate. That the dock - which is rotted hence the fact the waters coming up under the boards like a dock I spent a lot of time on as a child - is breaking and theres no control. That the narrator is pulling themselves so thin they could fall through the very cracks and get sucked into the water. It's not meant to be literal, but metaphorical.

As for the forest, thats a bit more open. The idea that the narrator knows what they are getting into and is doing so; is going into the depths of whatever it is the forest holds - love, affection, happiness - that the narrator feels threatened and oppressed by. The farther they go in the harder it gets, or denser rather, and those aforementioned clauses are not lasting or as good as they appear.

The last stanza is to show that losing oneself to love or willingly walking into love is not what the narrator desires. That truth is more important even if its not always what you would deem idealistic. It's meant to be cynical and it's meant to give perspective to a person who does not find justification in searching for love.

In any which case, I find your interpretation really fascinating. It's always super important to see how the words translate out to the reader in general so I really do appreciate the criticism. I'll have to try and find a way of wording these stanzas out a little better to more aptly focus the ideas rather than making the topic murky and illegible. I thank you, nonetheless, and I appreciate it immensely.

So yeah, thanks!

Aley says...

I find that the hardest thing with metaphor is getting too deep into them. You have to allow the metaphor to form the idea instead of forcing the idea into a metaphor.

What you might want to try is to simplify. Instead of even TELLING us it's a metaphor, just Show us the places, the images, and let us make our own assessments from there. Your idea of the path will have to be altered to show the negatives of THAT direction as well, but it would develop the poem into more of a

Path less taken, no path at all, or the path most trodden upon comparison, and we'd be left as the person deciding for ourselves what we want.

You could even have three individuals in three situations to show this. I sort of did something similar with this poem here, maybe you can see what I did and take inspiration from that idea to work it into this as well.

Full Lives

I took this idea from Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken and adapted it to my own ideas with my own message.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:28 pm
Markontheworld wrote a review...

Love or the truth, huh? A very gray concept, and one you played very well might I add. One is connected to your heart, and the other to your brain. Choose ose one you regret the other. Choose both or neither and you lose them both eventually. Then again it depends on your past, whether or not you've been told lie after lie and questioned yourself to the point of oblivion, or your content with the information you've been given. The "Road" may be a lonely path, but it's probably the path most taken. After all if someone's even debating it that means that it's anchored to your heart as well. I especially like the line where you wrote "you could never sink deep enough, but here you could pretend that sinking is what you want." This is the line that proves despite getting what they wanted the person the narrator is referring to feels regret they don't want to feel. So to stop that, they attempt to immerse themselves deeper into the truth. They go so far, only subconsciously realizing that after a while they're alone.

I just realized I forgot my =^_^=

Make sure you marry someone who laughs at the same things you do.
— Holden Caulfield