z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Violence

Fragile

by NikkiLamont


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and violence.

Andrew Faramino arrived at the hospital as the moon reached it's apex. His wife was having a child - his child - hopefully a boy. He needed someone strong to take on the family name. Someone like him, with dark hair, eyes like blue icicles. He walked through the gloomy reception, his eyes hopeful. He was a slender looking man, but would fight anybody. He saw the receptionist look sadly at him.

'What?' He asked, looking for any other emotion but sadness.

'I'm very sorry, Sir' The woman said.

'For what?' He was dreading the next part, especially with the woman's tone.

She gestured for him to come along. They walked through the creepily dark corridors, worry lacing his blood. He was perplexed about the whole thing. Then, the woman took him into the recovery room. There was another woman, lying there, still - it was his wife.

'Joanne?' His voice became husky, tears clogging up his throat.

He touched her hand, it was usually so warm, but now it was freezing.

'Jo! Don't do this to me!' He cried, making the doctor flinch.

'Sir, we do have some good news, though. You have a beautiful baby girl!' One of the nurses carried a tiny baby in her arms.

'I don't care! Kill her!! Filthy thing killed it's mother!' He growled.

The baby began to bawl, it's chocolate eyes welling up.

'Shut up!!' He yelled.

The baby screamed, and some needles fell to the ground. Everybody froze.

'What...?' The doctor was perplexed and confuddled.

'Anyways. I don't want her. I never will' Andrew hissed.

'You have to take her!' The doctor said.

'Or what?' Andrew scoffed, 'I've already lost everything'

'This girl is what survives of your wife-'

'My wife is dead!!' He yelled, his eyes blazing with immanent fury.

'Sir... Calm down' the doctor pleaded.

'I don't want this... thing!' Andrew growled, defiance in his voice.

'But.. this child.. Sir, this is your child' The doctor's voice grew smaller.

'I don't care!! This murderous... thing.. is evil!!' He yelled, making the doctor jump.

The baby started to cry again, and the weather outside turned rainy. The room went dark and cold, as if the girl was in control of the elements. The baby continued to sob, frantically struggling against the doctor's grip. Andrew groaned, then took the baby into his arms.

'Fine!!!' He snarled, deeply seething that he would have to protect the murderer.

He turned the baby into his chest, cradling and cooing her. The baby looked up at him, her face blank, to young to even smile.

'Alice... Alice Faramino is your name baby' But deep inside him, a fire raged.

He hated her. She had murdered her own mother in spite. Just to survive. It wasn't just hate he felt, it was a deeply felt sorrow. The baby should've died. But no, Alice Faramino survived. At the expense of her mother. He would punish her, one way or another. Oh, yes, he would.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 619
Reviews: 3

Donate
Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:44 am
Stilinski wrote a review...



Hi, Stilinski here!

The idea of this sounds super interesting and leaves the reader wondering about the different things going on, but still, it needs work.

Firstly, you seem to put two exclamation marks whenever one of the doctor's or Andrew is shouting, you only need one! If you want to add extra empisis, describe how he said it instead of just adding works like 'yelled' and 'hissed'. How did he look while saying it? What else was he feeling? How did everyone in the room react?

Also, this:

"The doctor was perplexed and confuddled."

You've already used the word perplexed once, which of course is okay in a bigger extract of writing but since this is pretty short, I suggest using a different word since it looks like you're running out of words. Also, confuddled isn't a really a word and it sounds quite childish in such a serious piece of writing.

Secondly, you use a lot of short sentences. Which again isn't a bad thing if you mix them up with different lengths of sentences. If you use short sentence after short sentence continuously, the story kind of starts to lose it's flow and becomes choppy.

Of course, you have to start a new line with new dialogue, but if you have a sentence of dialogue, and then a sentence of description, put it together. It creates a much better flow.

Like someone else said, Andrew makes his decision to keep the baby really quick. It would work if you changed this sentence around a bit:

He turned the baby into his chest, cradling and cooing her.

It seems like he's taken to her, like one moment he hated her now he's a bit like 'Oh I don't mind you after all', with the use of 'cradling' and 'cooing' since they sound very maternal. By the rest of the writing, it sounds like Andrew would be trying to hold the baby as far away as possible from him, looking at her with disgust, you know.

That's it really for nitpicks, just work on your grammar, description and writing flow and you should be good!

Really, it does sound very interesting. Does Andrew know that she can control the elements? Is there a different species that he knows about or some huge secret his wife was keeping from him? Is the baby a true danger? It really gives a sense of 'who is the real monster? Alice or Andrew?"

Keep writing and work hard!

- Stilinski




User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91930
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:07 am
BluesClues wrote a review...



Hola!

So, whoa. Andy has a serious female problem, hmm? Yikes. He'd do well in one of those many cultures that just quietly kills female babies, because they're not born male...

Three notes:

1. Andrew's reasons for wanting a boy. I can see him resenting his new daughter in part because her mother died giving birth to her, but to resent her to the point of wanting her dead, wanting to punish her, etc, is extreme (especially since, as the doctor pointed out, she's all that's left of his now-late wife). We know he was really hoping for a boy--so, if Alice had been a boy instead, would he still resent the child? Would he resent his child less, not at all, or just as much? And if the answer to that is less or not at all, then we need a better reason as to his wanting a boy than JUST that he wanted someone to carry on the family name. At the very least, he should be the last one carrying the family name, himself--thus, if he does not have a boy, the family name dies with him.

2. Andrew's immediate reaction to his wife's death. Naturally, he's sad because his wife his dead, and angry and resentful toward his new daughter. But screaming and calling an infant a murderer is a bit over-the-top. Admittedly, we don't know much about his character yet--maybe he normally overreacts to things. Maybe he drinks. Maybe he has anger issues or some other problem. But in that case, we need some sense of this right from the beginning, because as the story stands right now, he's optimistic and cheerful at the opening but then immediately switches to raging, screaming, and calling his own child a murderer. I'm not saying he needs to be screaming at the opening (that wouldn't make sense), but we need a better sense of who he is to understand why his reaction is so extreme.

3. Andrew's reasons for taking his daughter in after all. One moment he's saying she's a murderous, evil thing; then next he says "fine" and comforts her, with no apparent reason for his change of heart. This is an easy fix; just show us his thoughts when the baby is crying. What changes his mind? Is it the strange way the weather follows her emotions? If so, is he intrigued, frightened, excited by this apparent power? Or is he moved to pity by the baby's crying? Or does he think how his wife would want him to take care of the baby, so he does it out of respect for her?

I think it would help all three of these issues if you dove into Andrew's head a bit more. Really give us a sense of his thoughts and who he is, and we'll better be able to understand why he acts the way he does in this chapter.

You did a good job showing the way the baby controls the weather (I assume it actually is her controlling the weather)--we can look at it and realize it's happening, or wonder if it's happening, but it's so subtle, which is fantastic. Most writers would feel a need to make a big deal out of it, point at it with a neon sign and say, "THE BABY CONTROLS THE WEATHER!!!! GET IT???? THE BABY CONTROLS THE WEATHER!!!" But you didn't do that. You gave us a hint of it without beating us over the head, so kudos on that.

Blue




User avatar
122 Reviews


Points: 2321
Reviews: 122

Donate
Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:58 am
ccwritingrainbow wrote a review...



"...as the moon reached its apex."

I'd say let there be more detail in this story. Do the Show, not Tell tactic. That does millions of people wonders.

"What?" he asked, looking for..."

"I'm very sorry, sir," the woman said.

"Jo! Don't do this to me!" he cried, making the doctor flinch.

"The filthy thing killed its mother!" he growled.

"...to bawl, its chocolate eyes welling up."

"Shut up!" he yelled.

"I never will," Andrew hissed.

"My wife is dead!" he yelled..."

"Calm down," the doctor pleaded."

"...is evil!" he yelled, making the doctor jump." You use yelled and other speaking verbs often. You don't have to mentioned "Andrew did this or that" every time he speaks.

"The room went dark and cold as if the girl was in control of the elements."

"Andrew groaned; then took the baby into his arms."

"Fine!" he snarled..."

"...her face blank, too young to even smile."

"Alice Faramino is your name, baby."

"It wasn't just hate he felt. It was a deeply felt sorrow. But no. Alice Faramino survived at the expense of her mother. He would punish her one way or another."

This whole story gave me chills. Just follow my advice though, and it'll get better and more interesting. Trust me on this one.




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 1003
Reviews: 10

Donate
Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:22 am
Elfsongs wrote a review...



ooohhhhhhh suspense!

I like this, even though it's sort of sad. The only think I didn't really like is that the whole thing seemed a little sudden. I think maybe there should have been more description on what the man was feeling before everything happened. Elaborate on why he wanted a baby boy. Why was he so intent on a son as opposed to a daughter? Is there history there, or did he just want a boy 'just because'? I also feel like you should have gone into how the wife was feeling. Was she saying she felt badly beforehand, was there any foreshadowing that she might not make it? Was she not supposed to be able to have a child? Or perhaps she went in stating that she was perfectly fine and that her husband shouldn't worry?

I think it's really cool how you described the weather changing and how it seemed like the baby could change the weather. That's neat, and I feel like it might foreshadow something to come!

Another thing I don't understand is that the man was very sudden in his decision to keep the baby. He was so against her, and then all of a sudden he just said 'okay fine'. What changed his mind? Was he fearful of the baby's 'power' over the weather? And why did he take the baby at all if he hated her so much? If he honestly didn't want the child, why didn't he put her up for adoption? I'd just like more in the area of thought and internal feeling. It would also be nice to be eased into the events as opposed to having events tossed suddenly at me...His wife's death was very sudden. The doctor would have told him sooner, as soon as she was beginning to fade, that he should come back, be with her, etc. Was there a reason that didn't happen?

All in all, the story is off to an awesome start! I really like where it's going, and it sounds like a cool idea! Keep on going, and it'll be great! <3





I regret everything.
— Ron Swanson