The Book Man, Chapters 70-71 (Revised)

by BluesClues

70 WOUNDED

The first thing he heard was Conrad crying weakly, “Let me through—let me through, I say! Christian. Christian.”

He turned his head, but his glasses were askew, stuck between his cheek and the ground. The crowd before him was a blur of color and movement. He reached up with difficulty and put the glasses on properly.

Several yards away, Conrad had somehow managed to get out of bed and was standing in the doorway of Imelda’s wagon, swaying on his bad leg. His face was grey and shining with sweat. Liza had a grip on his elbow, looking almost as bad as he did, but he did not notice. Rowan’s contortionist, who had Graham Chelsea on the ground in his arms, looked up and said, “You’re going to kill yourself. Go back to bed.”

“Not until I see he’s okay—”

Christian tried to shout out to him, but the spider burst through the portal, almost squashing him beneath its weight. In his hysteria Christian thought for a moment what a turn that would be: a human squashed by a spider. He rolled out of its way with his breathing shallow and quick and his side throbbing.

Then he felt so dizzy he had to put his head in his hands for a moment and concentrate on maintaining consciousness.

“There’s another one!” someone shouted. The dancing bear waddled through the trellis, carrying its dead trainer in its paws and still bellowing when anyone tried to touch it.

Then, for a long while, nothing.

“Book Man,” Carina called from her place atop the trellis. Her blue eyes glowed blindingly. “Are there are any others?”

“Three,” Christian gasped, massaging his chest. The garden gnome crawled out of his pocket and slid to the ground, alive again now that it was back in the park. “Three more.”

Carina shivered, the blue glow wiggling around her, but Aurelia said, “Hold.”

The silence stretched on, minute after minute. Tirion pulled Christian to his feet and asked, “Where is Morrow?”

“Hellhounds,” Christian said. His breath was beginning to return, but his legs wobbled and his palms stung and his hip hurt. He sank back to the ground with a groan. “Hellhounds and imps. They tried to stop us getting through. He said he was coming.”

They waited. Tirion’s fingers curled and uncurled, unconsciously it seemed, and finally he said, “I’m going back.”

But as he stepped toward the trellis, Morrow and the two ringmasters fell through it, shouting, “Close it!”

The air inside the trellis trembled—distant howling issued from it—and then the air stilled, and the howling was cut off, and Aurelia and her sister’s brilliant glow faded to normal. Tirion gripped Morrow by the shoulder.

“Are you alright?” When the Rover did not answer, the elf shook him and said, “Morrow. Are you alright?”

“Fine,” Morrow said between breaths, but his brow was creased and he looked much older than he had before. “We lost more than a dozen.”

Tirion let out a breath. Then he held the Rover back, looked him in the eye, and said, “Never do that to me again.”

Morrow hesitated. “Like old times, eh?”

The elf gave the shadow of a smile. “Like old times.”

Christian leaned against the spider, his heart still pounding.

Are you alright, human? Narodnaya asked him. He felt there was some reason she shouldn’t be there, but he couldn’t remember what it was and he was glad of her presence anyhow.

“Your lands,” he croaked. It was a guess more than anything.

They, at least, are self-sufficient. I had to make sure you were alright, did I not? Her voice was light, almost playful, but beyond it he could sense her concern. Are you alright?

“Fine,” he wheezed. “I’m fine. I’m just—my hip—”

“It’s an imp’s horn,” Morrow said. “Look.”

Christian looked down to see a black horn sticking out of him. The point was buried in his left hip, the other end jagged where it had broken free from the imp’s forehead. His head swam again at the sight. He grabbed the horn with the intent of pulling it out, but Morrow said, “Don’t. Let me look at it first.”

“It hurts,” Christian whimpered.

“I know. But if you’re bleeding much internally then it’s all that’s keeping you from bleeding out. Let me take a look.”

The Rover crouched down and prodded at Christian’s side to ascertain the damage. The accountant grimaced but clenched his teeth to keep from crying out; others had suffered much worse injuries than he, and they weren’t acting like children about it. Across the courtyard, he could see Rowan’s contortionist desperately trying to staunch the flow of blood from Graham Chelsea’s missing fingers. Already the horse-master had passed out from shock or blood loss.

“I think you’re alright,” Morrow said. “It didn’t get in too deep. But I want some bandages before I get this thing out of you.”

“Liza,” Christian said. His voice came out in almost a whisper. He tried to sit up straighter and said again, “Liza.”

She appeared at his side, as ashen as her husband had been. A blood-soaked towel was in her hand. “What is it? I’ve got to get back to Conrad, he’s passed out again—”

“Bandages,” he said weakly. “Please.”

She nodded, disappeared, and was back in a flash with a roll of gauze. Morrow took it from her and said, “Lie back. This is going to hurt.”

He placed a hand on Christian’s side and yanked the horn out of his hip. Christian inhaled sharply and could not help a moan escaping him.

“It’s alright,” Morrow said, digging through his pack for herbs. “The worst is done. You’re lucky it was an imp instead of a hellhound.”

“Why?”

“Hellhounds are venomous. If one of those took a bite out of you we’d have a bigger problem on our hands than a hole in your side.”

Christian shot up, his face whiter than ever.

“Whoa, hey. Lie back down,” Morrow said, but the accountant didn’t hear him.

“Hellhounds are venomous?” he repeated. “So say—say someone was bitten by a hellhound more than a week ago, and say his wound kept opening up—”

The Rover peered at him sharply. “Why?”

“Conrad,” Christian said. Frightened tears coursed down his face, and he felt ashamed but he couldn’t stop them. “Conrad got bitten by a hellhound last week and he keeps getting worse and no one can tell us why—”

Morrow stood up and called for Tirion. The elf appeared at his side. “What is it?”

“Hellhound bite,” Morrow said. “Old one. It hasn’t been properly cared for.”

“Who?”

Morrow turned back to Christian, sniffling on the cobblestones beside him. The accountant looked up, wiped his eyes, and said, “Conrad. He’s in the wagon.”

“You know what to do,” the Rover said grimly. Tirion nodded and headed in the direction of the wagon.

“What’s he going to do?” Christian asked in a high-pitched voice. Morrow returned to bandaging his wound. “Morrow, what’s going to happen to Conrad?”

Morrow looked at him and said, “He’ll live, if we’re lucky. Now quiet down or you’ll make things worse. Come on, now. You’re alright. Just lie still for a bit and I’ll come back and check on you.”

Christian lay back on the cobblestones and watched as the Rover went through the crowd to help bind wounds and calm nerves. Now, from the wagon, he heard Conrad moaning and Liza shouting and Tirion’s curt replies. Their words blurred together; his eyes squeezed shut as he cried again.

“Doing alright, Mr. Abernathy?” a voice asked above him. He wiped his eyes and looked up. Rowan and Finn were standing over him, their faces drawn, but they smiled at him as cheerfully as they were able as he gazed up at them.

“I’m fine,” he whispered.

They sat beside him, and Rowan said, “We’ll just keep you company for a moment, shall we?”

But Finn clutched her sister’s shoulder and said, “Look!”

More trouble, Christian thought, twisting his head to see, but no. The two ringmasters shouted joyfully, “Bartimeus!” and Mr. Catcher shoved through the crowd with his arms outstretched, weeping and crying over and over again, “My sisters! My dear, dear sisters!”

71 THE RINGMASTERS’ TALE

Mr. Catcher, as it happened, was the older brother of Rowan and Finn, a ringmaster himself when Goblin first took over almost two hundred years ago.

“Back then we had a family circus,” Mr. Catcher told Christian as the three siblings sat cross-legged on the ground around him. “The Three Ringmasters, that was what they called us, as if there wasn’t any circus around but ours.”

Theirs was the best traveling circus to be found in England (so they claimed), with the fiercest lions and tigers, the bravest trainers, the most graceful dancing bears, the most daring trapeze artists. They frequently traveled through the wood with their entire troupe, more than a hundred people and animals all together, and so they had been among the first to join the fight against Goblin when Morrow the Elder had rallied the nomads.

“We won, of course,” Finn said. The lens of her monocle had shattered in the attack, but she kept the frame fixed in her eye. “That was the end of our traveling days. Got to set up our circus right here in the park each night and sleep in the Sunforest each day. It was glorious.”

Like the others, they stopped aging, guaranteed eternal youth as long as they spent each day in the Otherworld and each night in the park, where the Good Magic would erase any signs of old age. But after a while, Mr. Catcher (much like Morrow the Elder) became disenchanted with immortality. He began to long for a normal life, a life more settled than what he and his siblings had.

“Poor old Barty,” Rowan said, elbowing her brother. “That was as settled as we’d ever been, but he stopped participating in our shows. We’d find him sitting outside afterward, most of the time. Grumpy old bugger.”

Mr. Catcher grinned and elbowed her back. “I took to wandering through the Fair instead of running the circus, and that’s how I met dear Winifred.”

“How is Winifred?” his sisters chorused. Mr. Catcher’s mustache drooped as his smile faded.

“Dead,” he said sadly. “Almost a week ago now.”

His dear Winifred had been a singer at the Fair, a half-Rover with none of the Rovers’ talent for divination and potions. She, too, had tired of living each day the same, spending each night on Earth in revelry and each day in the Otherworld asleep. She missed daylight and silence and walking through the woods with no purpose other than enjoying them. So, one night, she and Mr. Catcher sat up in Celadon Park until the sun rose.

“We really did intend to go back,” Mr. Catcher said. “Winifred wanted to see the sunrise. We thought we could make it at the last minute. But by the time we reached the portal, it had already closed. And we thought to ourselves, well, this is what we wanted anyway. So we left and never came back.”

Though he did not know it, it was after this that his younger sisters, always bickerers to begin with, drifted apart, each blaming the other for running her older brother off. Eventually they’d gone their separate ways, opening separate circuses, and their troupe had chosen sides and remained as loyal to both as was possible.

“Of course, we’ve made amends in recent years,” Finn said.

“Have you?” Christian asked, not forgetting they had almost torn him in half the first time he’d met them.

“Of course,” said Rowan. “We all decided to come with you, didn’t we?”

“Of course,” Christian said.

Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:34 pm
Valkyria wrote a review...

Hello, Blue!

The battle is over, and the group is resting. I really like how chapter 70 is just as hectic as the last chapter, with people running around to help the injured, and chapter 71 had things slowing down. The characters and the readers could catch their breath and take in this quiet moment.

This is so sweet!

What a strong friendship.

The accountant grimaced but clenched his teeth to keep from crying out; others had suffered much worse injuries than he, and they weren’t acting like children about it.

I can relate to this, but Christain is so strong and kind.

I think this was a little uncalled for. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say that she was filled with adrenaline and worried sick about Conrad, but Christain had a horn sticking out of his side, and he was injured. I feel like she was brushing him off.

This was a sweet reunion!

Until next time!
Valkyria

Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:16 am
Deanie says...

Hey Blue!

Brilliant chapter, as always. It was this reunion when I missed the ringmasters being male, but then again female suits them more throughout the rest of the story. And you can't always have it all ^.^

He rolled out of its way with his breathing shallow and quick and his side throbbing.

When I read this sentence it sounded awkward. Maybe tweak it a bit? My suggestion: Christian's breathing was quick and shallow as he rolled out of the way, his side throbbing.

*continues reading*

Deanie x

TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here!

So this chapter was very tense, and rather sad in many places. I now understand what you were talking about when you mentioned that those who were killed would be mentioned farther on, so everything makes sense now. It was sad, almost tearful, when the bear walked (crawled, plodded? What do bears do?) in with his trainer in his arms... That was very sad, and a nice picture for your sentiments. Really showed what their trainers meant to the animals, and it also showed that the animals were more than just normal ones... I mean, I don't think it would matter how kind or awesome you were to an animal, to have them carry you may be a bit much to stretch it... Are they just different kinds of animals? One more thing: Bears bawl when upset.

I thought it was really neat that dear ole' Mr. Catcher was related to the two circus owners. I mean, I don't think I can imagine him juggling himself, although it would be funny if he did, but it has been a long while since he left the park and I assume he hasn't been back since? Or would he have gone back for visits? But it was a very nice twist to the story to have that relation in there, and quite honestly, not one I was expecting... One more thing in all this kafuffle. Since the garden gnome is awake, I would assume it's night out, correct? So how can they all see so well? And why isn't Minerva out there with Christian? I thought it rather weird that everyone else came out to check on him, but Minerva did not... which implies that it's not night out so she is still a statue - but the garden gnome was awake, which tells me it was nighttime... so what is it? Or is it only Minerva that goes to sleep during the day?

I though their story was rather sweet, and that Dear Winifred was part of their circus was rather sweet, too. And she didn't have the other talents they did, but used her voice. I really love this book, and it just gets better and better, because each character - no matter how big nor small of an impact they make on your story - has such an amazing back story to them. <3

Till next time. Sorry for them being so far apart in time.
~Darth Timmyjake

BluesClues says...

Not a problem :) Your reviews make me so happy that they're worth the wait.

It is night, but there are the gas lamps in the gardens. Maybe I should drop reminders about those now and then so people remember. But anyway, we'll get back to Minerva in...the next installment, I think.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:59 pm
dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

Knight Dragon, here to review (and ultimately try to get your remaining chapters out of the Green Room)!

Okay, on chapter 70, I only have one question/concern. When did Narodnaya come through the portal? I don't recall you ever mentioning it in Chpt. 69 (unless I just totally missed and or spaced it), and then in 70 it's just kind of like, Oh btdubs she's here too. ??? I'm pretty sure the spider Christian rode through the portal was the one from 66/7ish, and I don't think I'm going crazy because that's how it came across even when I back-checked the last chapter.
So you might want to add a description of that, even a quick one-phrase side note, maybe a glimpse Christian got of her heading that direction or something. That way it's not so, "I'm staying with my people!" to "I may not belong here but YOLO!" with Narodnaya. :)

Now, Chpt. 71:

“The Three Ringmasters, that was what they called us, as if there wasn’t any circus around but ours.”

Two minor stylistic suggestions. One, make "that was" into "that's," so it doesn't sound quite so formal (and because it reads more smoothly). Two, you could add an "another" after "any." It's not necessary, but my mind just mentally added it as I was reading. Play around with it, see which one you like, but it's just a style suggestion.

“Of course,” Christian said.

I think an "Oh," at the beginning of that might have helped break up the three Of courses practically in a row. As is, I was like, "Oh?" but Christian came across as if it wasn't the plainest thing in the world. I don't know. It just felt like, when he said that, it was as if he'd already processed all that (despite the thought you'd mentioned crossing his mind) and they were repeating old news. They were, in a way, but then again it's being presented in a new light, and Christian's acting like it's so last year. :P

Non-reviewy portion:
I like the story. You've got a good setup, and your writing is really strong. Not having a lot to point out is probably one of the biggest compliments I have, but I don't feel like that can come across when all I do is point out suggestions, so I'm trying to make a better effort to say you're a really good writer. Keep going strong.

Hope this helps!

BluesClues says...

Thanks! As for Narodnaya, basically she wasn't going to come with him but then, oops, bad guys showed up and he got hurt and she came through last-minute to make sure he's alright...but I'm doing more revisions as we speak, so you'll actually see her come through when I post new revisions (after they're all done.)

Haha, okay. Yeah, revisions make things nice. :D

Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:19 am
EmeraldEyes wrote a review...

Hi.
So these were very emotional chapters. I can feel that the story is coming to a head with these events.
Obviously, the opening had to be very dramatic and you conveyed it well:

It shows that your characters have genuine feelings and they seem to be relatable to. It just helps make them more realistic :)

In the second half (the other chapter) it just gets sadder! XD

But there is still the "team spirit" present which spurs the characters on to continue. :)
And that's lovely. :)

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground.
— The Bee Movie