z

Young Writers Society


Violence

Victim

by spacesoldier


I lay in a pool of my own blood, 

For what though...

For your amusement? 

So that you can watch my suffering, 

For a crime you accuse me of, 

And I haven't committed? 

As you justify the things you do to me,

Over and over in your head, 

Screaming that I deserve it. 

I love you so I stay, 

But you're running out of bones to break,

And I've run out of smiles to fake. 

This last beating was all my body could take,

I've jumped from my body and now I just watch,

As you cry and you say I deserved it. 

While you hold me in your arms, 

Starting to apologize, 

I love you so I stay. 

To watch over you and say,

"It's not your fault" and, 

"I love you, it's ok...". 

After a while you pick me up,

And set me in the car, 

Starting it up and driving somewhere. 

You pull up near the ocean, 

Because I always did say, 

That I'd go there someday.

I had no intention of it being my grave, 

As my body plunges downwards, 

I finally accept that there's nothing left of you to save.

I loved you so I stayed, 

Until I laid in a pool of my own blood,

Because as much as I begged. 

And I pleaded and I cried, 

And I'd run and I'd hide, 

I was your victim.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1272 Reviews


Points: 89625
Reviews: 1272

Donate
Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:22 am
Rosendorn wrote a review...



Hello.

What you have here is a pile of words that have landed in a sensical configuration, but while it is readable with a story there is a general lack of consistency here.

Firstly, rhyme. If you're going to do a rhyming poem, then please keep it as a rhyming poem. If it is meant to be free-verse, avoid rhymes. Right now you go for long stretches of both, with break/fake/take, stay/say/okay, say/someday, grave/save/stayed, cried/hide, and a few oddball lines here and there, and the opening is pretty much free verse.

Rhyme appearing out of nowhere and vanishing jars readers out of poems. They expect a certain flow, and when you change the structure without a pattern then you lose flow. This, in turn, makes the poem look far more chaotic than it needs to.

Pick a structure and stick with it.

Secondly, these lines are stock. What I mean by that is there's nothing really new about them, and it feels like you grabbed them because they're there and easy to grab. You've not really developed the narrator, developed any specific situations outside of the most generic of events, used any imagery, or really any other ways to richen up this poem.

I'd figure this out past the surface gloss of an abusive relationship. Who's the abused? Who's the abuser? Yes they all have similar behaviours across the board, but the nuances of events are different for each person. You can also ground this to something real, outside of abstract wonderings which tend to be more generic than anything.

Overall, I think you're trying for something but fall short. Keep writing poems and try tying them to something, making them deeper than the surface, something that isn't grabbing the first ideas and lines that come to mind for awhile.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey




spacesoldier says...


I don't know who he is, if you read the description then you know that it was on a show and I didn't know what was happening exactly. I was just randomly throw into an ID show when I turned the tv on, and became inspired to write this. And I write how I write, I don't follow rhyming or free verse or whatever you want to label it as. I have my own way that I like to write, so don't tell me to "Pick a structure and stick with it." because I promise not to. I'm sure you have your way of writing and following whatever "rules" you think writing has, but I'm just not like that. Thank you for the review, have a nice day.

~Spacesoldier





Your inspiration doesn't have to be your end point is what I'm saying. Writers have this wonderful ability to create characters, see more into the situation, determine motive, determine everything we want about the characters involved.

All I am doing is providing ways you could potentially improve. Looking at your flow, how the words look when I read them, how they sound when I speak them, and where my tongue trips.

Writing is a constant process of constraining yourself then releasing all binds again and exploring where you want to go. The constraints force you to grow deeper roots, learn techniques you might not've considered, and learn what rules press against you too hard to follow. Releasing yourself allows your voice to grow and expand without those confines, but because of your deeper roots you can create something that's got the influence of something well established.

But that's my own process of getting better as a writer. Good luck with future poems.



Random avatar

Points: 691
Reviews: 12

Donate
Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:15 am
aquaaqua wrote a review...



Hello,
This was a very good poem. The words flowed nicely and your vocabulary was great. Just a few things I would like to suggest.
First off, you need to separate your works into stanzas. It's a somewhat long piece, so there needs to be a way to separate it into parts. Also, try a more determined rhyme scheme. You seem to have just a few rhyming lines all over the poem.
A few grammatical corrections:
"But your running out of bones to break"
You're instead of your
That's all you might want to correct.
Overall, this was a very well-written piece. Keep up the great work!
Your reviewer,
Aqua




spacesoldier says...


Thanks for the info. :)

~Spacesoldier



User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 11482
Reviews: 351

Donate
Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:47 am
Kanome wrote a review...



Hello.
Kanome here with a review for you.

All I can say is I feel really down right now from this poem.
It sounds like you got this from the Investigation Discovery channel or something.

Nitpicks:
- I think these few lines should be revised. I don't know why, but it didn't make sense to me.

For what though...for your amusement?

So that you can watch my suffering,

For the a crime you accuse me of,

And I haven't committed.


I think it should be more like this:
For what though...
for your amusement?
So that you can watch my suffering?
For a crime you accuse me
and I haven't committed?


Or something like that.

In the end, I did like this piece. It gives out a strong love she had for this man, doing everything she can to make things better. It also gives a good story about how her life used to be before her death. This is truly sad, and to believe people are still abusing and committing crimes like this.

Anyways, keep up the great work. I can't wait to read more. c:

This review courtesy of
Image




spacesoldier says...


It was the ID channel!!! c: And thanks!

~Spacesoldier




People ask if I ever experience writer's block and I just have to laugh... that's my default position.
— Aaron Sorkin