Violations and Wounds- Chapter 3

by xfabulisaa

It resembled a canine, possibly a hound or a bull terrier. There was something she could not describe; it was too difficult to detail the organism beneath the compost. A piece of fibrous material— perhaps wood— lodged down its throat initiated a gruesome scene that Melanna could not bear. It was one of the most ghastly events that she experienced, but overcoming her brother's cadaver right before her oculars had traumatized her for eternity.

Only a lunatic would perpetrate such menace to a harmless animal. The psychopath meant business. And this business could involve death.

Mella slowly inched towards the door, ascending the short flight of steps in a slow pace. Not affording to remove her vision from the scene, she hurriedly fumbled for the lock and inserted the nickel key into its slot, jerking it aggressively. Sweat exuded from her forehead, trickling down her skin onto her temples and her cheeks.

The door swung swiftly open, creaking slightly on its barrel hinges. She stumbled forward and immediately slammed the door shut. The shopping bags slipped from her wrist and splayed onto the floor as she huffed hot air from her nostrils. The sweat stuck her hair onto her forehead, giving her the impression of a woman who journeyed through complete chaos over millenniums and could no longer withstand the suffer.

With her back firmly wedged on the hardwood door, she relaxed her eyelids, engulfing her vision in darkness to shut out the world. She sank to her knees and buried her pale face in her palms. There was no clue, no indication that entered her crammed mind. Only the faintest knowledge of hand and machine stitches lingered at the corner of her intelligence.

She worked part-time as a tailoress for the first semester in a shop located in a compact cluster of retail outlets by the roadside. Her skills in stitching and embroidering had all begun here. It was the heart of her sewing expertise. The cramped shop-lot had its own signboard, written in enormous Gabriola font and displayed with marquee lights was the shop's obscured name, Beautifying Fabric. Beige wallpaper with intricate designs lined the brick walls of the shop. The only room in the shop held several tables with built-in overlock machines and computerized sewing machines. Influenced by the massive jump in prices and demand, her workplace rarely had customers— and those customers were the wealthy— and the wealthy were sporadic. She was a professional at embellishments, but her mastery faded away as she struck the age of eighteen. She lost her interest. It went away just like that. Poof.

Recovering from her brief mental seizure, Mella quivered as she stood up. She padded across the room towards the nearest window to have a squiz at the creature, certain that it would still be there, lifeless on the now-infected snow.

There it laid, with its odour incessantly emitted, but the reek could not infiltrate into the house, courtesy of the locked door and windows. She immediately turned her back to the glass window, grimacing from the awful scene.

A saffron-feathered bird sprang out from the widely open miniature door as the clock went cuckoo-cuckoo. Mella jerked in shock at the unexpected chime. The clock was past the stroke of three. It was already mid-afternoon.

She fiddled for her smartphone in the hobo bag, her objective to dial 9-1-1 and have a team of policemen on the way to inspect the scene. However, that could not help to track down the maniac. Nothing could.

The mobile went beep-beep-beep as Mella's delicate fingertips landed on the touchscreen keypad. She tapped on the green call button, switched the phone to her left hand and gripped it tightly as she brought the phone to her ear. The dialing tone was soon drowned out by the voice of a black female woman, presumably Jamaican.

"9-1-1, what is your emergency?" the woman answered.

"There is something in my front yard," Mella replied.

"Could you please specify the object?"

"U-uh, I think it's a dog with something in it's throat and it appears quite foul—" Mella could describe so much more of it but she chose not to. " —it appears to be dead and I have no idea who was the culprit who left the creature in my yard. I just came back from town and—"

"No need for the long story, dear. How long has it been there?" she questioned further.

She spun around in response to the query. She scanned the entire yard for the animal, her eyes wide open in shock. The phone slipped from her grasp, fell onto the cold floor, its contents spilling from the thin plastic case. The sheers nearly ripped from its hooks under her clasp. Clenched teeth, taut jaw and fierce gripping knuckles could only describe that Mella was in great stupefaction.

Gone. The animal was gone. It was as if it never existed, never present on the icy snow in the first place. It couldn't have vanished.

Her main credence was that of the culprit who disposed the animal the same way he/she brought it to her home. Her conviction began to rise as she thought about the probabilities of the disposer.

The 9-1-1 call was improbable; it couldn't have sent the police right on her heels, arriving as fast as lightning before she could react, or disposing the creature before she knew it. Recalling what had occurred earlier, the line had been cut off as she had dropped her phone onto the solid wood. The only possibility was that of the bringer.

The terror she'd felt for her situation had dissipated, leaving a trace of confusion and distress. She had the urge to vomit as she felt the barf rising in her throat, almost ready to spill out. She swallowed it back down, wincing at the terrible taste of the bitter froth.

She collapsed onto the floor, laid face-down on the carpet, feeling the pleasant warmth beneath, a smile across her face. The energy was no longer present, and she snuggled up onto the cozy carpet. Her last emotional state was of guilt— the 9-1-1 department would assume her call was just a prank— before she fell into a slumber.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:07 pm
Laure wrote a review...

Hai~, I'm back, again. Because we already know each other, let's not waste time with pleasantries and skip right into it.

Technical stuff and stuff:

Only a lunatic would perpetrate such menace to a harmless animal.

I felt that this sentence could be written better, using perpetrate and menace together doesn't quite flow. Perpetrate means to bring, so is basically to bring such menace? I don't know about that, maybe rephrasing it?

she hurriedly fumbled for the lock

I noticed this earlier to, two words with the same meanings written in the same sentence. Hurriedly and fumbled both have the same meaning. When you fumbled, it is assume the movement is harsh and rushed. Unless, it was a slow fumble in which case you would write it. But in here, I think the 'hurriedly' has already be assumed so is unnecessary.

The sweat stuck her hair onto her forehead, giving her the impression of a woman who journeyed through complete chaos over millenniums and could no longer withstand the suffer.

Hyperbole isn't bad, but in this case it seems a bit unrealistic. A woman who traveled through million of years I would imagine wouldn't exactly have only sweat stuck on her hair and plastered it onto her forehead. I would imagine she is probably extremely apathetic to the world, so that metaphor there sort of flopped.

Several sentence phrasing problem here.

Odour -> odor

Incessantly emitted -> Emitted incessantly -> verb before adverb

The dialing tone was soon drowned out by the voice of a black female woman, presumably Jamaican.

If she is presumably Jamaican, why mention the black?

The phone slipped from her grasp, fell onto the cold floor, its contents spilling from the thin plastic case. The sheers nearly ripped from its hooks under her clasp.

I don't know about the phone breaking just because it fell onto the floor? I mean I have plastic phone too and I've dropped it several times but it didn't break. As for the sheers, when did she start gripping them? Try and foreshadow actions so that it doesn't seem as abrupt.

However, that could not help to track down the maniac. Nothing could.

Is there a reason why they couldn't track down the maniac?

almost ready to spill out.

Almost, already. Same meaning, watch out for these.

She swallowed it back down, wincing at the terrible taste of the bitter froth.

ugh, I know exactly how that feels.

The CONTENT:

content:

So, this chapter was a bit more interesting than the last, I am quite curious about the canine. But before we get to that, I'd like to ask a question about that paragraph on where Mella worked. Was that any way related to this problem, or was that a part of history you'd want the readers to know. For me, I thought that was somewhat unrelated to this chapter and hence, it is not needed. But the choice is of course, up to you. One of the main problem I found with this chapter, was why she was so bothered by a dead dog in her court yard. I mean sure, people would get upset over it but her reaction seemed a bit extreme to me. I can imagine a lot of disgust but not to the point where she's having a mental meltdown and be so concerned about who killed the dog. Is not even her dog, or does the dog represent something? Does it represent a threat to her or anything? Also, like Noelle said. Wouldn't she call the animal control instead of 911, I mean animal control would be more experienced in dealing with this sort of thing.

She collapsed onto the floor, laid face-down on the carpet, feeling the pleasant warmth beneath, a smile across her face.

I didn't know that the carpet was warm underneath? Is it some sort of electrical carpet?

Language:

For a twelve year old, you have a very impressive range of vocabulary which is good, and your descriptions are lovely as per usual. However, watch out for the writing, remember those short sentences I mentioned in chapter two. You have the same problem here. Also, try and vary your sentence beginnings. I noticed that you tend to start with an article or a pronoun. Also, I didn't have a problem with this in the first two chapters but is more evident here.

Remember the golden rule of show don't tell?

Your frequent use of 'of' 'to' often places your descriptions into telling rather than showing the readers which really brings a flat tone to your story rather than a living one. So, try and avoid that as much as possible. Not all of course, but try and diminish it.

Areas for improvement:

-show don't tell

-Vary your sentence beginnings

-Consider the importance of information before putting it into a chapter.

-Explain your actions. I didn't mention this before, but always explain your actions and go behind why the character is doing this. One of the most important aspects to writing a good story is to make sure you have good character development. Is not an easy thing to do, the most basic aspects of it includes getting into your character's shoes and think about their motive and why they are doing these things and show them to the readers instead of just showing us the physical actions. Like here:

The terror she'd felt for her situation had dissipated, leaving a trace of confusion and distress.

The terror had dissipated, why had it dissipated? Or why had it even started in the first place?

Overall impression:

So, this is chapter isn't half-bad. Your range of vocabulary continues to surprise and impress me, and the descriptions are lovely. Your pace and flow is generally very good, the same goes to your spelling and grammar. I think what you really need to do, is to develop Mella and perhaps move the action a bit more? I mean, we've spent one chapter with her dawdling at home, another with her freaking out about a killed dog. But I suppose this is all a build-up to some greater good. So, keep writing!

-Laure

xfabulisaa says...

Hi, Laure!

As far as I know, perpetrate means to commit. So I don't think I've misused the word there.

It seems that odour and odor are the same? xD

I never knew the verb should be before the adverb. Thanks for the advice on that. :)

As for where Mella worked, I'd like the readers to know that because I'll be relating something to it in the future chapters.

Animal control never occurred to me >_< I'll watch out for that one.

I have this problem where I'd repeat the word 'she'. I think I've mentioned this before on your review in chapter two. Any help on this one? I'm actually seeking help on this.

There'll be more action in the story as it progresses. That'll be in the future chapters.

Thank you for the kind review! I've never had this much advice given before. Thank you soo much <3 I appreciate all of your reviews, I really do.

-Lisa

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:15 pm
Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there!

Wow, so we're getting into something intense here. I could really feel the tension in the house as well as the fear that Mella was feeling. Good job getting that across to us.

Now I know in my last review I pointed out how you had a bit too much description. Well I'm gonna say the opposite here xD It's only for one spot though so it's not really that big of a deal. It's about the part with the dog.

A piece of fibrous material— perhaps wood— lodged down its throat initiated a gruesome scene that Melanna could not bear.

This is a really good sentence. It's a simple description that creates such an intense scene. I am super duper squeamish so I absolutely hated the image this put in my mind. Made me squirm. Which is good of course, for you.

I do have to say though, I would've liked to see more description of the scene. Was there blood? Signs of a struggle by the animal or it's attacker? I just feel like if the scene was a bit more chaotic, it would make it even more surprising when the dog is gone.

One more quick thing before I wrap up this review. Wouldn't she call animal control instead of 911? I really don't know seeing as I've never been in that kind of situation. But I feel like 911 wouldn't really help her with a dead animal. Or be able to help her rather. I'd have to do some research on that in order to find out what's the right place to call. Of course you really don't have to worry about that unless you're super serious about this and want it to get published, you know?

So overall this is a great chapter. I really like how you're building up the tension and the fear. And I'm really interested to see what the heck happened to this dog. And something you might want to mention in later chapters: I'm wondering if Mella lives alone or not. I don't think you've ever really said. Unless I missed that part of course.

I'm going to start commenting on plot and character development in the next chapter. It's still a bit too early for me to mention anything about that.

Let me know when the next chapter is out!

**Noelle**

xfabulisaa says...

Thank you for the kind review! :)

I actually wrote a really long description about the dog. But then I went back to some of the past reviews I've received and it seems I have this problem of over-describing stuff. So I guess I took precautions and this was what I came up with. Also, this chapter was the result of when I had writer's block. I was delaying it for about a month now, and I was rushing it to be published by this week.

In other words, Thank you for the lovely reply! I appreciate it very much.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:10 pm
Brunnera wrote a review...

Hi there Lisa! It's Brunnera, here for a review on the latest chapter I have been waiting for! It's been quite a while since the last one.

I usually start my reviews with the nitpicks before I go on with the parts I loved.

"A piece of fibrous material— perhaps wood— lodged down its throat initiated a gruesome scene that Melanna could not bear."

"Initiated" would mean 'cause' or 'started', so in my opinion (remember, in my opinion xD) the word is awkward in that sentence. Perhaps a more simple 'created' would do nicely.

"Not affording to remove her vision from the scene, she hurriedly fumbled for the lock and inserted the nickel key into its slot, jerking it aggressively."

"Jerking" is also quite awkward. It means something being pushed forward (or backward, or both at the same time), so since the key is the subject in question, "twisting" would be appropriate. It would do nicely because 'aggressively' already emphasizes the fact she is doing it roughly/harshly.

"Sweat exuded from her forehead, trickling down her skin onto her temples and her cheeks."

Temples and cheeks are already part of her skin-- which means you have over-described this part. Remove "her skin onto" and that would be nice.

"(...) giving her the impression of a woman who journeyed through complete chaos over millenniums and could no longer withstand the suffer."

The sentence was too long, and it is, again, over-described. "Giving her the impression" conveys the meaning of "Melanna's first impression of something", not "how Melanna looks like". A simpler, "making her look like a woman who journeyed through chaos." is good. It is succinct and the reader knows what you are trying to tell.

"(...), lifeless on the now-infected snow."

Snow cannot be infected...still I don't know what word would be appropriate to replace it...

"There it laid, with its odour incessantly emitted, but the reek could not infiltrate into the house, courtesy of the locked door and windows. "

If the reek could not enter the house, the "with its ordour incessantly emitted" makes it weird. How does one know the ordour is there when it did not enter the house? Instead of describing the smell, describe how it looks like again-- in a more gruesome way, that way the sentence where Melanna grimaces will be fitting.

"Mella jerked in shock at the unexpected chime."

"Jerked in shock", if changed to a simple "was startled", would be better. I know that it doesn't sound professional, but "jerked" is simply inappropriate.

"" —it appears to be dead and I have no idea who was the culprit who left the creature in my yard. I just came back from town and—""

There's just one minor thing I found awkward, it's that Melanna said 'culprit'. It's not something a woman would usually say, right? This is conversation, not description. "person" replacing "culprit" will sound normal.

"She scanned the entire yard for the animal, her eyes wide open in shock. The phone slipped from her grasp, fell onto the cold floor, its contents spilling from the thin plastic case. The sheers nearly ripped from its hooks under her clasp. Clenched teeth, taut jaw and fierce gripping knuckles could only describe that Mella was in great stupefaction."

Several mistakes I found in there.
"Scanned" would not be good with "entire", because "scanned" already means a thorough search.

""She scanned the entire yard for the animal, her eyes wide open in shock. "

Are you saying she scanned the yard WITH her eyes wide? You went a bit too fast although the paragraph was something I found really good.
Describe how she looked around, but found nothing, and describe how the realization and scary reality hit her hard. Only then, after this suspenseful pause, do you describe the "her eyes wide open in shock" thing.

"The phone slipped from her grasp, fell onto the cold floor, its contents spilling from the thin plastic case."

There is only one phone in the plastic case, yet you wrote "contents" with the 'S' and you wrote 'spilling'. Unless if you are implying the phone broke into tiny pieces, I recommend you remove "it's contents spilling (...)" entirely.

"She collapsed onto the floor, laid face-down on the carpet (...)"

"Collapsed" brings the impression she fainted. Joining the two parts of the sentence together would be better.
"She laid down on the floor, her face on the carpet (...)"

....

Alrighty then, that's the end of my nitpicks.

Overall, this was just another wonderful chapter. The suspense was so cleverly built up in the paragraphs and words, the imagery and detail ever so powerful-- forcing fear and anxiety into the reader as the reader follows Melanna through the small ordeal. The plot is forming out well-- it's realistic yet incredulously scary. You sure know how to make questions pop in one's head-- who is this psychopath? What would happen next? Why her?

Then, at the last paragraph, you with your awesome powers, remove the feeling of fear in the reader, replacing it with comfort since Melanna was calm. Words are so powerful, and you show a great example.

Plenty of show, yet less of tell, but I'm very fine with that! It's really nice, and your writing style is entrancing.

Remember all the nitpicks are merely suggestions :) Simply my advice. I love this so far, looking forward to the next one!
Hope I helped you, Lisa xD

~Brunnera

xfabulisaa says...

Hi there! Thank you for the kind review.

Yeah, I was kind of expecting a lot of corrections in this one. I was delaying it so long that it had to be published by this week. >_< well, I'll put in more concentration the next time and avoid those simple errors you pointed out.

As for that phone one, with it's contents spilling out, I meant it's battery and the memory card and all that sort of stuff inside the phone, not that it shattered into pieces or something like that.

Thank you for the review! It really pointed out my mistakes which I needed to improve on. As I said, this chapter was quite a rush as well. But thanks! I'll try to improve on my next one. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Brunnera says...

Always happy to help! :D

Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:03 pm
CoraxCorvus wrote a review...

Hi!
Wow you're a really great writer! This whole story was very sensory and descriptive. I also really liked some of your word choice. This whole chapter is filled with action and suspense, so it really keeps your attention.

There were a few grammatical errors I saw:
"and could no longer withstand the suffer."
I think it should be suffering.
"Not affording to remove her vision from the scene"
This needs to be changed to something like "She couldn't afford not to see" or something that makes this clearer.

Also, (I'm just picking at stuff) but usually the 9-1-1 emergency department wouldn't think that was a prank. If she was talking in a distressed tone, then just went silent, they would send police and an ambulance. (That's why you're not suppose to prank call 9-1-1. :) )

Overall, this was really great! Keep writing!
- Corax

xfabulisaa says...

Haha thank you! I really appreciate the advice! I will correct it immediately, thanks for pointing it out. :) Your lovely review means a lot to me. Once again, thank you!

-Lisa

I like anchovies~ but nobody calls me that.
— alliyah