z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Mature Content

Chapter 3: Three Weeks Left

by thehotinpsychotic


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and mature content.

The next day my mom wakes me up extra early so I have plenty of time to get ready for school. Seriously; it’s only ten minutes away, and I don’t have to be there until 8:30, but she gets me up at six. Again, I know she’s just trying to be helpful so I thank her and get up when it’s still Goddamn dark out.

She drives me over, leaving the house at 8:00. It’s pretty quiet the entire drive there, me gazing out the window and my mom tapping her fingers on the steering wheel.

We pull up to the school, a stout, but also tall building that recently received a new music wing. My mom looks like she wants to hug me, her arms reaching for me, but she drops the left arm, and gives me a pat on the shoulder with the right.

“Wouldn’t want to embarrass you on your first day,” she says, her grin infectious enough that it manages to spread onto my face as well, known for its smile immunity.

“Bye, Mom,” I call, hopping out. A millisecond before I shut the door, my mother replies,

“Bye, Reagen.”

I watch the car drive off, gas pumping in thick white clouds from the exhaust pipe. The car makes a turn that leaves it out of my sightline, so I go inside finally.

I find my way to the third floor office with relative ease. I was given instructions to report here for my schedule and my guide, who will be wearing an orange wrist band.

When I get to the office, no one is there but the secretary. Perhaps the guide fell ill? Believe it or not, even our bravest heroes, public high school tour guides, are susceptible to disease. Oh, bless them.

“Hello,” the secretary greets. She’s a woman with greying hair wearing a button down blue blouse with a neutral pencil skirt.

I wave at her, replying, “Hi. I’m Reagen Bennett, and I’m here to pick up my schedule.”

She goes into her filing cabinet, muttering to herself. I manage to catch, “Reagen Bennett Reagen Bennett ReagenBennettReagenBennetReaganBennett……”

She produces a sheet of paper, which she hands to me. “I can’t say I know where your guide is.”

Not a second after, the rumbling of footsteps cause both her and I to crane our necks to peer behind me where the sound had come from.

There before me stands the most gorgeous boy my eyes could ask for. He has pale, clear skin and high cheekbones. His hair is dark brown, the kind that would look black in poor lighting. He has blond streaks towards his cowlick where the hair parts and in chunks in the back. The locks hanging down his neck and forehead curl on the ends, giving him the appearance of a little boy. As he smiles, deep dimples form on either cheek. He has stormy teal eyes that shine like none other.

He’s wearing a red button down with a black blazer. The sleeves are rolled up to his elbows, revealing the orange bracelet that, under different circumstances, would hardly be visible. His skinny jeans cling to his narrow legs and are cuffed at the ankles to show off his red hi top Chuck Taylors.

He grins at me toothily, and although I don’t plan on it, I find myself smiling back.

The secretary, clearly unimpressed, chides in a monotone, “You’re late, Ashton.”

“Sorry,” he apologizes. “I had to drop my baby brother off at daycare.”

As if the boy could get any better. Not only is he a babe, but he’s apparently a total sweetheart as well.

The secretary remains disgruntled by his general presence. “You’re lucky Reagen wasn’t early.” She extends a paper to Ashton, which he takes, thanking her.

“Let’s go, Reagen,” Ashton says, nodding his head towards the door.

I follow him out, and he looks through the paper that the secretary gave him. I peek over, asking,

“So, what is that?”

“A reminder to stay after school. She’s my mom,” Ashton explains.

“Wow, really?” I ask. “Sorry, I know it’s probably not what a son wants to hear, but your mother seems to have nothing but utter contempt for you.”

He laughs, a real, easy sound. He’s not afraid of laughing too loud or too strange. He admits, “That would suck to hear, if she were my mother.”

“Wait, she’s not your mom?” I ask. “You just said she was.”

He shrugs. “I’m a compulsive liar. They just come to me. My therapist says I do it for attention, which my actual mother never gave me.” His lips upturn into another grin as he continues, “All maternal issues and personality flaws aside, welcome to our high school.”

“Gee, what a welcome,” I scoff.

“My name’s Ashton Riley, and I’m your tour guide. So…. Let’s see what your first class is…..” He makes a tutting sound with his mouth as his eyes go down what must be a copy of my schedule in his hands. “I see you’re a sophomore. I’m an idiot junior, so maybe we’ll have some classes together.”

I chortle, agreeing, “Yeah, maybe.”

“English II first period….. Mr. Riley’s room. That’s on the fourth floor, I’ll take you there,” he says. He grabs onto the loop of fabric on top of my backpack, explaining, “So you don’t get lost.”

We’re on our way up the steps when a passing boy snickers,

“Hey Ashton, cute dog. Can I pet it?”

Ashton scoffs and pushes past him, taking my hand. “Don’t listen to him; he’s a jerk.”

“Are there a lot of them here?” I ask.

Ashton considers this, then shakes his head. “No. Even the popular kids are nice here. The mean ones are the hoodrats, like that lovely boy that we encountered a few moments ago.”

I chuckle, “That’s good to know.”

“You have a gorgeous laugh, like that of a princess in a Victorian novella,” he compliments.

“Thanks, I’ve never been so uniquely admired before,” I thank.

He beams at this, stuffing his hands into his pockets and shrugging his shoulders bashfully, replying, “What can I say, I’m a unique guy.”

I’m huffing and puffing by the third floor, my breathing coming out choppy and parted. Ashton kneels in front of me.

“What are you doing?” I ask.

“Hop on,” he orders, patting his back.

I laugh, telling, “I’m flattered that you think I’m so incompetent, but I’ll live.”

Ashton stands, saying in a serious tone, “I in no way find you incompetent.”

I stare at him, eyes wide.

He breaks out into a grin, adding, “’Kay?” and holding out his hand for me to take, which I accept. He drags me up the rest of the stairs, calling in between labored breaths, “Newbie coming through! Unadjusted, disoriented newbie! Who is not used to stairs!”

We get to the final floor, and I can tell by the heat in my cheeks that my face is, at best, pastel pink, and at worst, tomato red.

“Thanks for walking me up,” I say, looking Ashton in the eyes.

“My pleasure, ya’ little weirdo,” he replies, ruffling my hair slightly. He leaves, and I’m honestly quite sad to see him go. I’m turn, and am almost in the room when I feel someone grab my shoulder. I look over, to see Ashton. I face him, jutting one hip out. “Yes?”

“Do you want to go out with me, strange girl?” Ashton asks. He states it as if he were conversing with his table mates about the menu. Timothy, what would you prefer for appetizers, the gluten free popcorn shrimp, or the calamari?

I tickle his stomach, and he squirms away, the smile still indelible on his face. “Didn’t your mom tell you not to talk to strangers, let alone date them?”

“I’m a rule breaker,” Ashton replies.

I giggle, contemplating the idea. I’m about to say yes, when I realize what I should’ve earlier. I’ll be gone in under three weeks. I shouldn’t even be making friends, as I’ll end up hurting them in the end. It’s selfish, to have a boyfriend for my amusement and then leave him. I’m a bitch just for leading him on.

I also realize that Ashton is no normal boy. He’s not afraid of me. I’m not yearning for him, and he knows it, but he doesn’t care. He’s not going to make me want him, either. He’s just going to act like a man and accept the fact that I’m not hopelessly in love with him, or at least acting like it. The fact that Ashton is extraordinary somehow makes everything worse. I can’t ruin a gem like him. That’d be the equivalent of shitting on the Mona Lisa.

So, I tell him no. “I cannot date you, Ashton Riley.” His mouth drops open a bit, and his forehead creases. He reaches for my arm, and seeing this, I turn before he can, hurrying into my class.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 17243
Reviews: 328

Donate
Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:52 pm
deleted30 wrote a review...



Hi again!

Sooo, remember me at all? I reviewed the first two chapters of this, then disappeared? Apologies about that; I was on kind of a reviewing hiatus.

BUT, I'm back now! :D

Okay, so firstly, I thoroughly enjoyed this. Your narrative voice is very strong and clear, kind of amazing. Reagan is such an interesting character. I love her sarcastic bite, masking the inner pain. She's fascinating.

Ashton also seems like an interesting character. Though one thing that did stick out to me—if he's a compulsive liar, would the school really let him be a guide? It's a form of mental illness, after all.

I'm probably just being dumb, though.

The dialogue in this was superb. For the most part, it was pretty realistic and charming, very natural. This is hard to do for many writers, so major props.

Pacing was great, not too fast nor too slow. We find out a lot about Ashton, but it doesn't seem like too much in a short space of time, which (of course) is awesome. *high fives* Everything flowed together really well, and your choice of wording fit nicely.

The relationship between the characters, specifically Reagan and her mom, is really spot-on with its realism. Very interesting to read, and relate to. I also enjoyed Reagan's thoughts and opinion of Ashton.

As you can tell, I'm very much hooked on this story. <3

Nitpicks:

"ReaganBennett……”


That's a lot of dots. You really only ever need three. So it should be, "ReaganBennett . . ."

the rumbling of footsteps cause both her and I to crane our necks to peer behind me where the sound had come from.


This is overly long and quite clunky, if I may be frank. A shorter and more to-the-point way to write this would be:

'...the rumble of footsteps made her and I crane our necks to see behind me, at who was causing the noise.'

Something like that.

There before me stands the most gorgeous boy my eyes could ask for. He has pale, clear skin and high cheekbones. His hair is dark brown, the kind that would look black in poor lighting. He has blond streaks towards his cowlick where the hair parts and in chunks in the back. The locks hanging down his neck and forehead curl on the ends, giving him the appearance of a little boy. As he smiles, deep dimples form on either cheek. He has stormy teal eyes that shine like none other.

He’s wearing a red button down with a black blazer. The sleeves are rolled up to his elbows, revealing the orange bracelet that, under different circumstances, would hardly be visible. His skinny jeans cling to his narrow legs and are cuffed at the ankles to show off his red hi top Chuck Taylors.


As much as I love this description (and I honestly due - it's flawless and lovely), it's kind of... a lot. This wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that we're just being introduced to the character. When you first introduce a character, you should try and keep the description of him/her to the bare minimum. I.e., "the man was tall and broad-shouldered, with dark eyes full of malice." Just enough to give the reader a vague idea (so keep the most important bits), but not overwhelm them (so drop the other stuff).

This doesn't mean you can't describe your characters, of course! I love that description and think you should definitely use it, but save it until later on in the story, once we're more familiar with Ashton. Sprinkle it in more organically.

In this case, I think you should cut the description of his clothes in half, make it simpler. As for the rest of him (hair color and eye color), I'd do the same, and save the rest of that description gem for a later point in the story, when Reagan's looking at him or studying him or admiring him, maybe.

I look over, to see Ashton.


Get rid of the comma.

Okay! Nitpicks out of the way, I'll just tell you again how awesome of a story this is.

It is awesome.

Very entertaining, realistic, charming. Characters are solid, description's beautiful, dialogue is perfect... oh, I love it so much. <33

Please keep writing! :D






Don't worry about it! And thanks for the review!



User avatar
317 Reviews


Points: 20
Reviews: 317

Donate
Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:33 pm
lostthought wrote a review...



Ok, I went to read your other chapters because I definitely do not like having to cut into the middle and read from there. So let's review, shall we?

Ok, let's start of with the nitpicks.

Spoiler! :
still Goddamn dark out.
I'm not sure that Goddamn needs to be capitalized

Seriously; it’s only ten minutes away
Ok, I think a coma would be more appropriate than a semicolon

“Thanks, I’ve never been so uniquely admired before,” I thank.
"I thank" sounds wrong to me. How about ' I say, thanking him.'


Past the nitpicks, let's go on to the nice part.

Reagon is sarcastic, isn't she? I can relate, in a way. Is the private school for troubled kids or something because you have so far Reagon, who is going to commit suicide, and Ashton, who is a compulsive liar.

Ashton, well, I just have to say he is different. He doesn't think of himself highly, at least academically but he is nice. He even carried Reagon on his back, even though it was tiring for him. I guess that he didn't realize that something is going on with Reagon.

Well, now I'm curious as to what will happen next. Keep writing

-lost






Thanks! And no, it's not for troubled kids. Just a lot of kids are troubled today.



User avatar
65 Reviews


Points: 816
Reviews: 65

Donate
Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:40 pm
Fizz wrote a review...



Ok, so...I just went back and read the first two chapters of this, because I want to give you a proper review.

I want to start with some extremely mundane stuff.

'The car makes a turn that leaves it out of my sightline, so I go inside finally.'
This just doesn't quite make sense. Maybe you could try 'the car makes a turn that takes it out of my sightline, so finally, I go inside'. Ending the sentence with finally is getting close to grammatically incorrect.

'You have a gorgeous laugh, like that of a princess in a Victorian novella'
That came out of nowhere. We went from hoodrats to Victorian novella in the space of two sentences. If you could make some kind of implication that he is deliberately using that language, you know, by a description of his tone of voice, it would be less of a shock. And the language that follows too.

'I’m turn, and am almost in the room'. Just a typo alert :).

'I turn before he can, hurrying into my class.' I think 'and hurry in to my class' would sound quite nice here. It would be a bit more final.

You're funny. Like properly funny, and your characters are actually interesting. Your protagonist has a fairly consistent personality, and the way you wrote Ashton really brought across some of that charming nature.

You do write very well. Very easy to read, very entertaining, and...I don't know...I want to say unassuming? I guess I mean that it's not pretentious.

What I do want to say, is that we have sort of lost touch of the real plot of this story by now. This is a story about a girl who plans to kill herself, and I don't know whether you are intentionally making her sound insincere, but that's how it comes across. I want to know more about how she feels, I want to hear her think about death, and about what has happened to her. You're almost too funny. It's too light hearted. She's sarcastic, and brash, and I like that, but I also want to see some honesty here. Bring us the emotion, you know? I think you can have your cake and it eat it too here. She can be the character you've written, and be emotionally complex at the same time.

I think you're very talented. I think this is turning out really well, and I hope I can read some more chapters in the future. Just...make a connection with the reader. I think you can do it.






Thanks for the review! It will get a touch more serious.




There has never been a sadness not cured by breakfast food.
— Ron, Parks & Rec